Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

The key words there are "should, as far as practicable" and not "must".  By 1975 they were clearly only guidelines and not rules.

Indeed, and if you look at the formations listed, not many conform to what is stated in the extract I posted. This was especially so from around the time the Mark 2f and Mark 3a stock came into service, from when a lot of West Coast sets only had a BG at one end and no brake at the other end. The Midland Main Line had by the mid-1970s switched to having a brake in the middle of most of its sets. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Well, the petrol store is now installed on Little Bytham.............

67953942_60158LittleBythamnorthbound.jpg.1d0181878cb3d2ce5191fbae81a699d0.jpg

This is the picture I showed earlier, with the store visible above the carriage.

I've tried to reproduce the shot in model form...........

1713496465_Petrolhut04BW.jpg.9c706a186ef27419d61700cff3615b83.jpg

Quite impossible exactly..........

Why not? Certainly not because the relative positions of the structures aren't correct, but simple physics (if ever physics could be described thus). No, the physics of my camera and its lenses. The camera's body is twice the size of the stationmaster's house, and I couldn't possibly get the same angle. I had to perch it on the top of the embankment, but the top of the embankment isn't wide enough.

So, this is the best I can do (I tried several angles). However, I don't think this diminishes the value of actually modelling a prototype location.......

Even though I'd moved the wooden planter beforehand when doing some videoing!!!!

A truly remarkable similarity between the photographs, Tony.  Though it does tempt one to play ‘spot the difference’... Which proves to be commendably difficult!  Just two minor observations then: the foliage on the far embankment, and the length of the ‘headshunt’.

That’s being really picky though, and to a degree of scrutiny that far exceeds what my own modelling can bear.  To achieve this level of accuracy in three dimensional modelling on such a large subject, is surely exceptional.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Chamby said:

A truly remarkable similarity between the photographs, Tony.  Though it does tempt one to play ‘spot the difference’... Which proves to be commendably difficult!  Just two minor observations then: the foliage on the far embankment, and the length of the ‘headshunt’.

That’s being really picky though, and to a degree of scrutiny that far exceeds what my own modelling can bear.  To achieve this level of accuracy in three dimensional modelling on such a large subject, is surely exceptional.

Thanks Phil,

The carriage isn't the same, either. I think the one in the real shot is a Mk.1BSO, whereas on the model it's a BSK Mk.1. 

Since I don't have ABERDONIAN, then 60116 is a substitute, it being the same A1 class. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

So, this is the best I can do (I tried several angles). However, I don't think this diminishes the value of actually modelling a prototype location.......

If you can find a reasonably large and unblemished mirror, it's possible to position the mirror more or less where you want the camera to be (propped up at a suitable angle) and then shoot into the mirror from the opposite direction. The physical size of the camera is no longer the limiting factor, so you can get suitably close to rail height. It does need some trial and error, and the mirror obviously degrades the image to a degree, but it might be fun just for the ability to get exactly the same perspective as the prototype shots. Needless to say the image needs to be flipped afterwards.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Well, the petrol store is now installed on Little Bytham.............

67953942_60158LittleBythamnorthbound.jpg.1d0181878cb3d2ce5191fbae81a699d0.jpg

This is the picture I showed earlier, with the store visible above the carriage.

I've tried to reproduce the shot in model form...........

1713496465_Petrolhut04BW.jpg.9c706a186ef27419d61700cff3615b83.jpg

Quite impossible exactly..........

Why not? Certainly not because the relative positions of the structures aren't correct, but simple physics (if ever physics could be described thus). No, the physics of my camera and its lenses. The camera's body is twice the size of the stationmaster's house, and I couldn't possibly get the same angle. I had to perch it on the top of the embankment, but the top of the embankment isn't wide enough.

Even though I'd moved the wooden planter beforehand when doing some videoing!!!!

Grass isn’t long enough, ruined it for me.

I think there’s a word for people like me…. 🤣

• Funny 19

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

If you can find a reasonably large and unblemished mirror, it's possible to position the mirror more or less where you want the camera to be (propped up at a suitable angle) and then shoot into the mirror from the opposite direction. The physical size of the camera is no longer the limiting factor, so you can get suitably close to rail height. It does need some trial and error, and the mirror obviously degrades the image to a degree, but it might be fun just for the ability to get exactly the same perspective as the prototype shots. Needless to say the image needs to be flipped afterwards.

Worth a try, Al,

Though propping up the camera in such a restricted space would still be difficult. I know others use much smaller cameras, but I just can't get on with them.

I've used a vanity mirror for laying track, ensuring accurate alignment.

801291485_trackwork04checkingalignment.jpg.232a815532b7638b0c09c06e5852ac87.jpg

As has Norman Solomon. It's hard to believe that this shot is from 14 years ago!

872441153_trackwork25weatheredtrackwork.jpg.638078fb7f71c1a011405438df66eb9c.jpg

Still, it helps to produce perfect trackwork.

Norman tells me he plans to retire next year. I'll believe it when I see it! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Even more.............

37566375_wrongwayroundbrake09.jpg.e6119c82a6f0f94262e7b87569f27498.jpg

416658108_wrongwayroundbrake10.jpg.98b2a3417572f47b83bec42e153cb74c.jpg

1694719683_wrongwayroundbrake11.jpg.d6eb2fae8e46e752f735e8da2f86b8e5.jpg

943452063_wrongwayroundbrake12.jpg.5e224a6e661060b83d38a7961accd6b5.jpg

Copyright restrictions apply. 

When sifting through these marvellous images (scores of them), about a quarter had the brakes the 'wrong way round' so to speak. Also, quite a few had carriages 'outside' the brakes; strengtheners? 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Another thing I've noticed is how hard it is for me to identify some of the trains I've just posted pictures of. Looking through my appropriate BR C&WW notices, so few actually match.

Could it be that most pictures were taken on summer Saturdays? 

I have to say, this is an approach I adopt when making-up my own trains; find a prototype picture and follow that................

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

find a prototype picture

I note that on the photo of 60110, one of the two lamps is bent forwards and downwards. The other is not. Have that picture laminated ready for when the models have the lamps less than perfect and some-one comments.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Could it be that most pictures were taken on summer Saturdays? 

I would say an emphatic 'yes' to that. And not just based on your photos but in a more general sense. Aside from the privileged few, most railway enthusiasts worked Mon-Fri, so opportunities for weekday photography was limited. Added to which, paid holiday leave was less common 'back then'.

I'm convinced that, overall, there is a disproportionate number of weekend photographs from the steam era. Saturday lineside; Sunday shed visits (organised or otherwise) when more locos were stabled for the day and the chance of a 'cop' was correspondingly greater.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Just an example of using a mirror to get a shot that wouldn't otherwise be possible:

mirror2.jpg.afec0166183706c115b739b1063bee87.jpg

The mirror is propped up at an angle to the tracks.

mirror1.jpg.1f0c360dbe70f57d862ac363a6d04664.jpg

Shooting into the mirror then gives a low angle that couldn't be achieved with the camera resting on the rails. The image isn't as sharp as it would be (probably helps to have a clean mirror) but it does offer an otherwise tricky perspective.

Thanks Al,

I'll give it a try..............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

You’ve captured the scale and heft of this locomotive perfectly. Well done!

That's very kind of you, though that's probably more down to the excellent kit and Ian Rathbone's superlative painting/weathering. 

Regards,

Tony. 

23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Even more.............

37566375_wrongwayroundbrake09.jpg.e6119c82a6f0f94262e7b87569f27498.jpg

416658108_wrongwayroundbrake10.jpg.98b2a3417572f47b83bec42e153cb74c.jpg

1694719683_wrongwayroundbrake11.jpg.d6eb2fae8e46e752f735e8da2f86b8e5.jpg

943452063_wrongwayroundbrake12.jpg.5e224a6e661060b83d38a7961accd6b5.jpg

Copyright restrictions apply. 

When sifting through these marvellous images (scores of them), about a quarter had the brakes the 'wrong way round' so to speak. Also, quite a few had carriages 'outside' the brakes; strengtheners? 

Wrong way round brakes seem more common in 1960s images than those from the mid-1950s and also in images of Saturday and other dated or second-tier workings. Brakes not at the end could be due to strengtheners being added on Fridays or Saturdays or because the train has several portions, some of which only have one brake. For example, the down White Rose in winter 1961-2 had CK, BSK, TSO on the rear as the Bradford Exchange portion. The Hull portion of the 10.20 am from King's Cross was the same. The Hull portion on the rear of the 2.10 pm from King's Cross was FK, BSO, SK, TSO and this section was at the front of the balancing up working.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'Mickey Mice'

'Mickey Mouses' surely?

Likewise louses not lice, as in:

He's your guy
When stocks are high
But beware when they start to descend

It's then that those louses
Go back to their spouses
Diamonds are a girl's best friend

And note how the plural of 'spouse' isn't 'spice'...

Edited by Compound2632