Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

16 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

According to his biographer, O V S Bulleid's motto was "Form follows function and function creates form".  He was after all Gresley's assistant.

Jamie

Which makes his Tavern Car and the Leader designs all the more mystifying

10 hours ago, ArthurK said:

The NER D20 is indeed a very handsome  engine but then every one  knows that I am biased. There are several examples of this  loco built from the ancient DjH kit  on this site.  I have no complaint about the workmanship that has gone into these models. That in the photograph above is excellent but I have to ask why anyone spends so much time and effort to build  the kit pretending it to be LNER or worse still, BR.

It is impossible to build it as a model after the 1923 grouping without very drastic surgery. These locos were superheated by the NER. At that rebuilding the smokebox was extended by 12" which made a considerable difference (and improvement) to their appearance. 

ArthurK

The D20 is a very handsome loco indeed, Arthur,

Even late in their lives, they retained the lines of a thoroughbred......................

1122822163_D2062387SelbySept55.jpg.5d24bb8c5d5c58fd68afc37f62dec881.jpg

62387 at Selby, in 1955. Most locos fitted with Westinghouse pumps display dents in the casings, though it would appear (despite the fireman's attention) that this one is disconnected. Wasn't there an extra standpipe on the buffer beam for this braking system? 

Far less-successful were the larger D21s. 

D21.jpg.9ab8b6394fc85e1eb4d4d71f61644d48.jpg

This loco presents me with an astonishing coincidence. It belonged to the late John Brown of Spalding, and I sold it on behalf of his family. It looked familiar, and then the penny dropped! I'd actually built it, from a GEM kit mounted on a Tri-ang L1 chassis. When did I build it? In about 1973/'74. Why I built it, I have no idea, since it didn't fit in with my time/place modelling at all. I painted it as well (economically?). I sold it to Modellers Mecca not long after and forgot about it. So, how did a loco, built in Stafford and sold to a shop in the West Midlands end up in the Fenlands? Funny, I made it once, and sold it twice! 

For its time and with my experience when I built it; adequate? Almost. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Even late in their lives, they retained the lines of a thoroughbred......................

62387 at Selby, in 1955. Most locos fitted with Westinghouse pumps display dents in the casings, though it would appear (despite the fireman's attention) that this one is disconnected. Wasn't there an extra standpipe on the buffer beam for this braking system? 

Far less-successful were the larger D21s. 

This loco presents me with an astonishing coincidence. It belonged to the late John Brown of Spalding, and I sold it on behalf of his family. It looked familiar, and then the penny dropped! I'd actually built it, from a GEM kit mounted on a Tri-ang L1 chassis. When did I build it? In about 1973/'74. Why I built it, I have no idea, since it didn't fit in with my time/place modelling at all. I painted it as well (economically?). I sold it to Modellers Mecca not long after and forgot about it. So, how did a loco, built in Stafford and sold to a shop in the West Midlands end up in the Fenlands? Funny, I made it once, and sold it twice! 

For its time and with my experience when I built it; adequate? Almost. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

The NER adopted the Westinghouse braking system for its passenger workings. Many of its ECML workings  were dual fitted with vacuum and Westinghouse brakes. After 1930 the LNER adopted vacuum braking. The NER area abandoned Westinghouse brakes for all of its passenger workings but retained the system for the brakes on the engine. There was no need for train connections which explains the absence of standpipe on your photograph though many tenders retained all or part of the standpipe with the hose removed. With one exception (Ex 2020) all D20s retained Westinghouse braking for the engine until withdrawal.

Another point of note is the rebuilt tender attached to 62387.  Rebuilt with straight sided coal surround it resembles the later  GS tenders. it is often over looked that the six-wheeled GS tenders were based on the NER 4125 gallon tender. The wheelbase was changed from the symmetric layout to an asymmetrical version. The design was carried out at Darlington. This latter works was also responsible for the detail design of the new  loco classes J38, J39 and D49. 

ArthurK

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Here's a first.

How about a Railhead Treatment Train? 

1151327983_HattonsRailheadTreatmentTrainH4-RHTT-00108.jpg.473901cb95bd6b1fa73719aad2ec03fe.jpg

Available from Hattons, and a full review will be in BRM. 

Never before seen on Little Bytham (and never again, though it has gone past on the real thing). 

So Tony, it was you purchasing that on Monday, just before 12 noon, at the Hattons' new Drive Through facility!

Love the livery.

:clapping:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony and all,

The photo is very interesting, not for the loco but the coaches.

What is the coach behind the loco, it looks flush sided apart form the beading around the windows?

The coach in the background is an LMS BG converted from a ex-ambulance car, which itself was a conversion from a period 1 coach. The window layout suggests either an open coach or the corridor side of compartment coach.

I note the crewman must have been an earlier pupil at the same engineering school I went to, "If it don't work, hit it with a 'ammer.":yes:

• Like 1

The story is often told of a straight line of development between the GN and LNER locomotives. In reality, Darlington took the GN K3 and replaced the cab and tender using NE practice, thus producing the familiar LNER outline that we are all familiar with. The tender and cab would evolve over time but retained a house style. Under Thompson, the introduction of the straight running board to the likes of the B1moved the look even closer to NE practice, though the boiler and mechanical parts remained distinctly GN.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Headstock said:

The carriage in the background looks like an LMS period 1 non gangway carriage to me. LM ducket, angle iron underframe, not NER

Yes, it is. But we were asked about the first carriage in the train, not the one in the background.

4 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Yes, it is. But we were asked about the first carriage in the train, not the one in the background.

It's a NER 8 compartmenr non ganway, third like this. Sorry I'm having problems with the forum today and posting today.

ex NE non gangway third new roof.jpg

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Headstock said:

It's a NER 8 compartmenr non ganway, third like this. Sorry I'm having problems with the forum today and posting today.

ex NE non gangway third new roof.jpg

Basically that diagram, as I thought, but as Clive points out, a variant that has been plated over?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Basically that diagram, as I thought, but as Clive points out, a variant that has been plated over?

It looks like it has either been plated over or a different type of coach as there is no visible horizontal beading on the lower half. There is on the LNER coaches behind it. 

Update on the LMS BG, it was an open coach, the battery box was on the compartment side of LMS corridor coaches.

Classic NE Region North of Heaton from my early-teens when J27's on hoppers  were every other train, and the locos were usually ones we had seen umpteen times anyway. What I'd give for a Time Machine to see it again. Both locos are Dave Alexander kits, the completed one an original all-whitemetal on a basic etched chassis, The loco on test was his latest/last iteration, with an etched boiler and cab roof, bur, surprisingly, still a whitemetal cab. I think both capture the shape of what I feel was a loco whose looks absolutely matched the work it was designed for.

IMG_20190402_141531.jpg

IMG_20190402_141616.jpg

Edited by rowanj
Poor punctuation
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Apologies, I have regained temporary control of my computer for a quick post.. The LMS carriage is a BG to dia 2129, a conversion as mentioned by Clive.The carriage behind the loco looks to have an end and roof profile and trussing like an NBR carriage, or even H&B, rather than a NER one, it may be a trick of the angle, either way it has lost its beading. This post may or may not apear.

hurray it worked.

Edited by Headstock
hurray it worked
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The mystery coach looks like an example of Great Eastern steel-panelled stock in later life to me.  Originally panelled in the same manner as a wooden coach, they rusted badly, so Stratford tended to apply the sort of simplified panelling seen here.

Difficult to tell, but the pattern of light and shade along the lower half of the coach side looks like it might be caused by the long commode handles typical of GE stock.

D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, micklner said:

Just found some pictures a NER Loco with six drivers !!

post-7186-0-04407400-1480059782.jpgpost-7186-0-14910700-1479739666.jpg

Lovely locomotive that was deemed out by Gresley

Machinery was like B16 that was better than Sandringhams.

Sandringhams had same machinery lay out as  Thompson/Peppercorn pacifics .

These pacifics were built after Gresley pacifics and was better or management made an error.

Same applies to the V2s that was built as A2/1.

If the Raven Pacific had received same loving care that the Gresleys got after loosing to GWR 4-6-0s,some nice locomotives had resulted.

It would have been even better if it had had 5feet8 wheels (B16) rather than the 6feet 9 it got.

Just dreaming

11 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

The mystery coach looks like an example of Great Eastern steel-panelled stock in later life to me.  Originally panelled in the same manner as a wooden coach, they rusted badly, so Stratford tended to apply the sort of simplified panelling seen here.

Difficult to tell, but the pattern of light and shade along the lower half of the coach side looks like it might be caused by the long commode handles typical of GE stock.

D

Evening Darryl'

funny, I was looking for any sign of Long grab handles but I thought that I had seen the little short NE patten. Given the roof profile your spot sounds very logical.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Headstock said:

A bit of NE cab and tender action. I've only built one NE locomotive, so it will have to do.

61404 cab and tender.jpg

Presumably early British Railways with the tender still showing LNER but the new number? :)

32 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Presumably early British Railways with the tender still showing LNER but the new number? :)

Thanks for the interest,

The locomotive was renumbered from 845 to 1404 in 1946, then became 61404 on the 12/10/48 and was finally renumered as 61473 on the 19/12/49.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There is a picture of a Raven B16

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/1/15/Im1921EnV131-p014bba.jpg

and of a Raven A2

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-LONDON-NORTH-EASTERN-RAILWAY/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-ORIGIN/i-72m2bMq/A.

The ultimate Pacific in my universe is a shortened A2 boiler on B16 machinery with a trailing wheel  or a set of driver more.

It can surely be photoshopped but the A2 picture is copyrigthed.

It will be of great value to mankind and keep me from mischief if  readers here , who has built these two locomotives, will photograph them with long focal length lens and connecting rods in same position

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

A bit of NE cab and tender action. I've only built one NE locomotive, so it will have to do.

61404 cab and tender.jpg

Just one question if I may, please, Andrew,

I assume the 'incorrect', curly-tailed '6' is a transfer. If so, who makes it?

When Geoff Haynes painted my D3 in early BR livery, he had to hand-paint the '6' because no 'correct', 'incorrect' '6' was on the HMRS sheet. 

Regards,

Tony.