Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

attachicon.gifHINDLEY WIGAN LANCASHIRE UNION PUB ND.jpg

Another of Dad's photos. This pub was named after the railway behind it (better known as the Whelley loop line or LNWR Wigan avoiding line). Situated between Ince & Hindley the Loco (8F ?) is southbound. Pub is now a private residence & the  line long gone. Another pub beside this line is the still open "White Lion & Railway" pub at Whelley, a couple of miles to the north. Strange pub sign !!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.554164,-2.6149892,3a,24.6y,347.38h,93.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skrf32X4Wt9dj3S8k7YWVpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Other interesting railway themed pubs around Wigan were the recently closed Swan & Railway (opposite NW Station). This pub replaced two earlier pubs when North Western station was rebuilt in the late 1800's. Not far away near Prescott St (L&Y) loco shed was "The Platelayers Arms" pub. A rough and tumble railwaymans boozer as you would expect !!

Hope you all have had a pleasant Christmas day - we have, full of roast spuds turkey & pudding !!

Brit15

The sign is the add'.  A Double Diamond Works Wonder, Works Wonders, advert.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

post-18225-0-48672600-1545775914_thumb.jpg

How's this for a Christmas present? Bought for me by my elder son and his girlfriend. It's an original linen-backed LNER map. It now hangs in pride of place above our stairs. 

Did anyone else get an entirely-appropriate Christmas present? 

Having not watched a moment's television today, I've read my book on battle-cruisers (pubs?) and added the bogie/pony to the new A3. 

post-18225-0-41581000-1545776213_thumb.jpg

I have in stock a selection of ancient Jamieson bogies and ponies, so these were utilsed in preference to the (rather flash-contaminated) white metal items). 

The reason that the drive is off the rear axle is because it's sweeter-running this way. Not that reverse is poor, but forwards is a bit quieter. Visible is the .35mm nickel silver 'stay, performing two functions - one to anchor the motor/gearbox and prevent it clattering around inside the body and, two, to return the current to the live wheels. This system is not possible with DCC. Note also the live bogie wheels. The tender wheels will be the same. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Goodness me,

All it takes is a bit of turkey, a roast potatoe and a brussel sprog for the beautiful wagon thread to be derailed by gratuitous loco chassis (undercarriage) building, books that are not Tatlow and Battle cruisers of all things. The latter may have had Chimneys (funnel in nerd speak) but they certainly didn't have four wheels, good and true. Thank goodness for Altso and his tiny etchings. Will Tony ever fit his brick wagon with vac pipes, I bet his A3 will have them.

HMS Humbug, was that a Battlecruiser?

The brick wagon IS now fitted with vacuum pipes, Andrew.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifHINDLEY WIGAN LANCASHIRE UNION PUB ND.jpg

Another of Dad's photos. This pub was named after the railway behind it (better known as the Whelley loop line or LNWR Wigan avoiding line). Situated between Ince & Hindley the Loco (8F ?) is southbound. Pub is now a private residence & the  line long gone. Another pub beside this line is the still open "White Lion & Railway" pub at Whelley, a couple of miles to the north. Strange pub sign !!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.554164,-2.6149892,3a,24.6y,347.38h,93.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skrf32X4Wt9dj3S8k7YWVpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Other interesting railway themed pubs around Wigan were the recently closed Swan & Railway (opposite NW Station). This pub replaced two earlier pubs when North Western station was rebuilt in the late 1800's. Not far away near Prescott St (L&Y) loco shed was "The Platelayers Arms" pub. A rough and tumble railwaymans boozer as you would expect !!

Hope you all have had a pleasant Christmas day - we have, full of roast spuds turkey & pudding !!

Brit15

That advert is wonderful. I might have to replicate that on my forthcoming 1960s dock terminus. Google turned up a beer mat with the same design showing the colours:

https://colnect.com/en/beer_coasters/beer_coaster/27448-Double_Diamond-Ind_Coope_Co-United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_Northern_Ireland

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Courageous class (Courageous and Glorious) were designated large light cruisers as a bit of deception to get the necessary money for their construction. The Furious was a half-sister to the class with larger 18" guns. The trio were known as 'Curious', 'Outrageous' and 'Spurious'.

G.

IIRC they were ordered by Fisher to support an invasion of Germany via the Baltic and had shallow draft.

Goodness me,

All it takes is a bit of turkey, a roast potatoe and a brussel sprog for the beautiful wagon thread to be derailed by gratuitous loco chassis (undercarriage) building, books that are not Tatlow and Battle cruisers of all things. The latter may have had Chimneys (funnel in nerd speak) but they certainly didn't have four wheels, good and true. Thank goodness for Altso and his tiny etchings. Will Tony ever fit his brick wagon with vac pipes, I bet his A3 will have them.

HMS Humbug, was that a Battlecruiser?

Battle cruisers had four shafts (Usually, therefore had four big wheels on the end of them. Plus some very advanced boiler systems to produce enourmous quantities of steam.

Jamie

• Like 1

Most of the British Battle Cruisers (as designed) were still dependant on men-with-shovels for their motive power. That must have been a miserable job. Many stokers (subject to correction by Tony when he has read his book) weren't even firing the boilers, but.extracting coal from distributed bunkers.

At least locomotive firemen had their coal in one place, and weren't (usually) being distracted by armour-piercing shells when working.

As to Fisher's design concepts, well that is large question. Didn't this thread go through a 'Jutland Loop' a while ago?

Now, enough distraction! I am hoping to feel well enough today to assemble another LMS cattle wagon.

• Like 2

Good morning Tony,

I hope you, Mo, and everyone else in your family, had a good Christmas Day. The linen LNER map is an incredible find and I hope it may be possible to have a look at it next time I visit (if I'm still allowed to!)

I'm really enjoying seeing the construction of Enterprise's chassis but look forward to seeing the completed loco even more! I have a half finished N gauge example that I modified (hacked/ruined?) from a Dapol A3.

post-943-0-40397100-1545810905_thumb.jpg

It has been converted to right hand drive, renumbered and renamed using a home made (temporary) nameplate. This was produced using a piece of acetate and a laser printer to print the name. The acetate was then covered with a product known as laser transfer foil (the gold colour) and run through a laminator to heat the laser toner and cause the foil to adhere to it. After that the back of the acetate was sprayed black and, once dry, the 'plate' was carefully cut out and applied to the model. A bit crude but it'll serve until I can afford to purchase some Fox plates.

Despite doing this a couple of years ago I haven't yet gotten around to painting the green valances or wheel centres black. Nor have I yet fitted the buffer beam detailing kit. I will do this once I dig the model out of storage.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Goodness me,

All it takes is a bit of turkey, a roast potatoe and a brussel sprog for the beautiful wagon thread to be derailed by gratuitous loco chassis (undercarriage) building, books that are not Tatlow and Battle cruisers of all things.

That is both the beauty and the frustration of this thread. It covers so much, but as a result it can veer off on another tangent very easily. 24 hours (and 100 posts) later, you revisit and find it is in a wholly different place!

Whilst pubs may be called the battlecruiser, it wouldn’t work the other way round... though I can imagine that many Jack Tar’s would have enjoyed a posting on the HMS Rose and Crown!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Most of the British Battle Cruisers (as designed) were still dependant on men-with-shovels for their motive power. That must have been a miserable job. Many stokers (subject to correction by Tony when he has read his book) weren't even firing the boilers, but.extracting coal from distributed bunkers.

At least locomotive firemen had their coal in one place, and weren't (usually) being distracted by armour-piercing shells when working.

As to Fisher's design concepts, well that is large question. Didn't this thread go through a 'Jutland Loop' a while ago?

Now, enough distraction! I am hoping to feel well enough today to assemble another LMS cattle wagon.

It frequently returns to warships, particularly capital ships (which is no bad thing, considering many locos were named after great ships).

Jutland has been mentioned on several occasions, though the Germans called it The Battle of the Skagerrak. Another book I'm reading concerns the account, written by Reinhard Scheer in 1919, which gives the German side of the battle. Naturally, he writes from a position of bias, and, from a purely logistical point of view, the Germans 'won'; in that they sank more British ships and killed more men. However, he fails to really mention that from a strategic point of view it was a British 'victory'. The Grand fleet was ready for action the next day, but the High Seas Fleet was so badly mauled, particularly the battle-cruisers, that months were required before it could put to sea again. Not that it ever did in such force. An American correspondent summed it up perfectly by writing that 'The Germans have assaulted their jailers, but remain in jail'. Now over a century later, discussions over Jutland still continue. 

Please post pictures of your cattle wagon build. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

Many stokers (subject to correction by Tony when he has read his book) weren't even firing the boilers, but.extracting coal from distributed bunkers.

The stokers were probably actually "Trimmers" and their job on coal-fired ships was vital as they were involved in moving coal between baffles/bulkheads such that the centre of mass of the ship's coal stores was kept reasonably constant. A 20000 ton ship like HMS Invincible [1907] at full speed out of trim would be a disaster waiting to happen. 

Whilst loco men had their coal in one place, they certainly used their "spare non-stoking time" to move it forward but that was for convenience for stoking and refilling. In railway tenders, the equivalent destabilising effects of weight shift was due to the water's [not coal] "free surface effect" and this was more or less designed out by welding vertical baffle plates in every tender. There is a pic of the tender of 46240 being cut up in Allantic's "Steam for Scrap- The Complete Story" which shows this.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning Tony,

I hope you, Mo, and everyone else in your family, had a good Christmas Day. The linen LNER map is an incredible find and I hope it may be possible to have a look at it next time I visit (if I'm still allowed to!)

I'm really enjoying seeing the construction of Enterprise's chassis but look forward to seeing the completed loco even more! I have a half finished N gauge example that I modified (hacked/ruined?) from a Dapol A3.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It has been converted to right hand drive, renumbered and renamed using a home made (temporary) nameplate. This was produced using a piece of acetate and a laser printer to print the name. The acetate was then covered with a product known as laser transfer foil (the gold colour) and run through a laminator to heat the laser toner and cause the foil to adhere to it. After that the back of the acetate was sprayed black and, once dry, the 'plate' was carefully cut out and applied to the model. A bit crude but it'll serve until I can afford to purchase some Fox plates.

Despite doing this a couple of years ago I haven't yet gotten around to painting the green valances or wheel centres black. Nor have I yet fitted the buffer beam detailing kit. I will do this once I dig the model out of storage.

Of course you're allowed to, Steve,

One of the delights of having LB is that so many modellers wish to see it, and return. 

I'll probably finish my ENTERPRISE quite quickly. Chuffer Davies reckons that my approach to making locos is fundamentally different to his (and I reckon he's right). He loves spending hours, days, weeks, months (years?) making a loco. My approach is to churn 'em out as fast as I can - already I'm thinking of the next one, then the next one, then........................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Xmas railway presents- Wife bought me the absolutely marvelous "Never Again" boxed set of four books of the last days of steam by the elusive "Master Neverers Association"

https://www.mnabooks.com/

I've only had time for a quick glance - I can only say "Whow !!!"

Kids bought me the two albums "Bradford Railways in Colour" Vol 1 being the Midland lines north out of Forster square and Vol2 being the L&Y & GN lines south out of Exchange. Again a pair of superb books and lots for the modeller in those. All pix both books are in steam days though there are lots of green diesels also.

http://willowherbpublishing.co.uk/

Being a Wiganer some find it strange my interest in the railways of West Yorkshire - this started at the end of steam there 1966/7 with visits to Holbeck, Normanton wakefield etc. The journey there over Standedge behind a Peak, passing the strange American style colour light signals in the Mirfield area was always the icing on the cake for these visits. (Icing, cake - groan -- I'm FULL !!).

Brit15

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It frequently returns to warships, particularly capital ships (which is no bad thing, considering many locos were named after great ships).

Jutland has been mentioned on several occasions, though the Germans called it The Battle of the Skagerrak. Another book I'm reading concerns the account, written by Reinhard Scheer in 1919, which gives the German side of the battle. Naturally, he writes from a position of bias, and, from a purely logistical point of view, the Germans 'won'; in that they sank more British ships and killed more men. However, he fails to really mention that from a strategic point of view it was a British 'victory'. The Grand fleet was ready for action the next day, but the High Seas Fleet was so badly mauled, particularly the battle-cruisers, that months were required before it could put to sea again. Not that it ever did in such force. An American correspondent summed it up perfectly by writing that 'The Germans have assaulted their jailers, but remain in jail'. Now over a century later, discussions over Jutland still continue. 

Please post pictures of your cattle wagon build. 

Regards,

Tony.

Few people know less about naval history than I do, although I had heard of the Battle of Jutland, and my father served in the RN in WW2, having volunteered just days after war was declared. What I do know is that this time last week Sherry and I were rounding the Skagerrak on a 43,000 ton cruise ship, returning from Copenhagen to Southampton. Boxing Day trivia!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased to say that I have one of those LNER linen maps. Where it came from I know not, but it is safely tucked away.

All this talk of A3s and their names but I have never seen "Trigo" or "Firdaussi" mentioned - I have both. The latter is a Wills kit and the first is Proscale but The valve gear is mostly scratchbuilt.

post-6751-0-84121800-1545828106_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-06566000-1545828157_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 15

Of course you're allowed to, Steve,

One of the delights of having LB is that so many modellers wish to see it, and return. 

I'll probably finish my ENTERPRISE quite quickly. Chuffer Davies reckons that my approach to making locos is fundamentally different to his (and I reckon he's right). He loves spending hours, days, weeks, months (years?) making a loco. My approach is to churn 'em out as fast as I can - already I'm thinking of the next one, then the next one, then........................

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony,

Little Bytham is certainly a layout that has an appeal to revisit and operate again and again. The great overall standard of the layout and the flawless running (unless caused by human error) is something to be appreciated first hand.

I fully understand your desire to churn out locomotives as it is all too easy to get bogged down in producing the 'perfect' model - I do appreciate that there are many who will disagree with my view and so offer my apologies in advance. I have great ambitions for the loco roster for Hadley Wood; that is your's and Little Bytham's fault and I thank you for it!  :sungum:

• Like 1

Aircraft carrier, shuttle or starship?

;-)

G.

Goodness Grahame, you've offered two possible aircraft carriers and, to my recollection, ten possible 'screen seen' variations of the starship! Not to mention the cruiser mentioned earlier and several sailing ships that were given that name (admittedly some with the spelling 'Enterprize').

My own model was decided on the basis that Enterprise became (through rebuilding from an A1) the prototype A3 as well as a little nod to Matt Jefferies' and Andrew Probert's incarnations of the famous starship. Off topic: The Enterprise in Star Trek was originally going to be named Yorktown, after the WW2 aircraft carrier lost at Midway. For reasons that I cannot remember, this was changed to Enterprise (Yorktowns sister ship) period to the filming of the first pilot episode - maybe because of Enterprise's historical significance as the most decorated American warship in WW2? Without those two and the other aircraft carriers (luckily all at sea during the attacks on Pearl Harbour), the war in the pacific could have been a very different war.

Edited by Atso
  • Like 2

Goodness Grahame, you've offered two possible aircraft carriers and, to my recollection, ten possible 'screen seen' variations of the starship! Not to mention the cruiser mentioned earlier and several sailing ships that were given that name (admittedly some with the spelling 'Enterprize').

And space shuttle OV-101 of course:

post-33-0-27872100-1545833961_thumb.jpg

(photo courtesy and copyright Ad Meskens)

• Like 8