Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Good morning Tony,

Pedant mode, sorry.

Fillies can run in The Derby, but usually the owners tend to run them in The Oaks as the weight allowance in The Derby is not very favourable. 

Madge Elliot, who died last May,RIP, see the obituaries thread, is an example of the name Madge and a class 66 now carries her name. She has also 'driven' an A4.

Re the change of meaning and the change of use of words. Dad came back from the far east in 1945 on The Empire Pride. I wonder what would be the situation if it had changed places with The Empire Windrush.

Bernard

Thanks Bernard,

I'd assumed (never assume) that because no filly ever appears to have won The Derby, that it was for three year old colts only. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And our congratulations to you, Tony.

Grandson or granddaughter?

Best regards,

Tony. 

I am not sure if, in this modern world, we are allowed to decide on a gender for anybody anymore. It is up to them to choose what they are. But the lack of dangly bits and the name Charlotte convinces me it is a granddaughter. I have had a discussion with mum about getting her a soldering iron with a pink handle for Christmas but it didn't go well.

Cheers,

Tony

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

History & Brits !! - Anyone renamed there 70036 Boadicea to Boudicca ? - No, thought not.

In 1963 I passed my 11+ exam and thus later attended Wigan Grammar School. My parents bought me a passing present, a Tri-ang TT Britannia, 70036 Boadicea which I still have.

After the second year we picked our O level subjects, maths and english being compulsory. I chose the three sciences, history and geography having dropped the dreaded Latin like a red hot stone !! First day we as a class voted on the type of History we were to learn, "King & Queen" type or Social, Political and economic history of the industrial revolution / Victorian era. We gladly chose the latter, and with our popular and knowledgeable teacher, "Dicky" Dykes it was a most enjoyable subject. I'll sum it up as follows. We Brits gave so much to the world, but we also took so much. Such is life.

Brit15

Good morning,

I have a BOADICEA............

7003601.jpg.657e12713bf2dc19f1e55d3e204b9902.jpg

70036panning.jpg.b4051787183ef3ed371f0b9f7145246d.jpg

A detailed (by me) and weathered (by Tom Wright) Hornby OO example (I really must changed the chimney).

Along with 70036 and 70003, there are two other Brits on Bytham...........

700037004101.jpg.a9495b6b9709e1db1dca79c0130c41d5.jpg

7004102.jpg.f6b9d25cddcc923243de7e4f1077e66d.jpg

70041, built by Mick Peabody from a DJH kit, painted by me and then weathered by Mick.

And.............paintedBritannia7001001.jpg.d8cb8662470951bedff2712d43c0149a.jpg

70010panning.jpg.988f6f45e81b5f2a24af89fc38c4a0f5.jpg

70010, another DJH kit, started by Mick Peabody, completed by me and painted/weathered by Geoff Haynes. 

I seem to recall that in the last year of its life, this loco had its name in Welsh, but only painted on the deflectors. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Are there "lasses" in the Scott class names?

Good morning Bill,

At least FLORA MACIVOR, EDIE OCHILTREE, LUCY ASHTON, ELLEN DOUGLASS and THE LADY OF THE LAKE in the D11/2s. Plus (at least) MEG DODS in the D30s. ELLANGOWAN and NORNA might be females, too. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

You're right about MELD being the only filly among the Deltic racehorse names. It could well be that The Derby has always been considered the most important of the Classics (which is for colts only); more important than The Oaks (which is for fillies only)? 

Actually, MELD was the most successful of all the Deltic thoroughbreds, winning three of the Classics (One Thousand Guineas, Oaks and St. Ledger) in 1955, whereas ALYCIDON could only come second in the 1948 St. Ledger. The best her other male counterparts could achieve was two Classics. 

The A3s are very male-orientated, with only PRETTY POLLY and SCEPTRE being celebrated as winning The Oaks; The Derby being by far the most-represented. The A2/3s do rather better, with STEADY AIM, SUN STREAM, HYCILLA and HONEYWAY carrying filly names. As for the A1s and A2s names after racehorses - all male, it would seem, though far fewer were named after Classic winners.

Doesn't it all seem delightfully absurd? Absurd, but part of my 'real' education as a trainspotter. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I have a recollection the Derby is open gender* but dominated for the last 100 odd years by colts. The last of four fillies to win it being in the early 1900s. 

* from the most recent Felix Francis novel I have just finished. Something I’m sure he would have fact checked.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, john new said:

I have a recollection the Derby is open gender* but dominated for the last 100 odd years by colts. The last of four fillies to win it being in the early 1900s. 

* from the most recent Felix Francis novel I have just finished. Something I’m sure he would have fact checked.

Thanks John,

My 'research' didn't go back that far.

One learns something every day!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Quite possibly so, but the mis-education does not only occur in the classroom, thanks to the many means by which those who want to destroy traditional values, traditional standards, traditional rules, and pride in Britain's history, can now now circulate their poison and apply pressure to those who reject it.

Good morning Graeme,

What puzzles me is that if so many appear to hate this country and all that it stands for (and has stood for for generations), why do they stay? And, why do so many want to come?

Enough now; I've no wish to turn Wright writes into politics - It's about model-making, and I'm just about to solder on the A1s' boiler fittings, having completed both tenders. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Are there "lasses" in the Scott class names?

Yes, as Tony itemised, but they are all characters from Scott's novels - some of which may be loosely based on historical personages (but those are more likely to be the noblewomen) so don't fit the bill for @robertcwp's poser.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I have had a discussion with mum about getting her a soldering iron with a pink handle for Christmas but it didn't go well.

The idea of a soldering iron?  Or the idea of a pink handle?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, polybear said:

The idea of a soldering iron?  Or the idea of a pink handle?

Weller, I don't know what sort of Antex youngsters, male or female, would get up to with a soldering iron whether the handle be pink or blue?

I'll get my coat .....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Quite possibly so, but the mis-education does not only occur in the classroom, thanks to the many means by which those who want to destroy traditional values, traditional standards, traditional rules, and pride in Britain's history, can now now circulate their poison and apply pressure to those who reject it.

Hi Graeme

State schools have to adhere to the national curriculum, which I believe is set by the department for education. So their students can pass the exams, they have to teach within subject sub areas that the exam boards are likely to set the questions. It is no good teaching kids about the historical influences of both the Soviet and Chinese railways on the railway system of Mongolia, if the exam board is potentially going to ask what the societal impact railways had during the industrial revolution.

trans-siberian-railway-guide-6-of-6.jpg.b1e93371b110fbddcd1b6ecc4f092d43.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Graeme

State schools have to adhere to the national curriculum, which I believe is set by the department for education. So their students can pass the exams, they have to teach within subject sub areas that the exam boards are likely to set the questions. It is no good teaching kids about the historical influences of both the Soviet and Chinese railways on the railway system of Mongolia, if the exam board is potentially going to ask what the societal impact railways had during the industrial revolution.

trans-siberian-railway-guide-6-of-6.jpg.b1e93371b110fbddcd1b6ecc4f092d43.jpg

Now Clive, that's one for your plastic building skills! At a guess it's an M62 chassis and one cab, probably rebuilt with a different engine, hence the long hood with walkway. Might well be Mongolian from pictures I've seen of other locos in that livery. Be curious to know the real answer please?

You could always start with one of these, the old Gutzold/Piko jobs, which go for not a lot these days, (click on pic for details)

Lugansk's finest (?) - M62's

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, D.Platt said:

Morning Tony 

Congratulations to you and Mo , double trouble for is it your first grandchildren , enjoy 😊 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

Yes, our first.

Which set me thinking on 'extremes'. I went to school with a mate, who got married immediately after leaving at 18. A year later, and he was a dad. By the time he was 40, he was a grandad. I'm 78 next week, so a bit of a difference, and Mo is 77 early next year!

A dear friend, younger than I am, is already a great granddad! 

I think we can be classed as 'elderly grandparents'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Now Clive, that's one for your plastic building skills! At a guess it's an M62 chassis and one cab, probably rebuilt with a different engine, hence the long hood with walkway. Might well be Mongolian from pictures I've seen of other locos in that livery. Be curious to know the real answer please?

You could always start with one of these, the old Gutzold/Piko jobs, which go for not a lot these days, (click on pic for details)

Lugansk's finest (?) - M62's

John.

Hi John

They appear to be M62s rebuilt with GE prime movers, they are 2ZAGAL' class ('Two White Horses') . They have done the same with some TE10s.

Mongolia: 2010.09.17-924 MDZ 2ZAGAL-007 Züünkharaa

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

They appear to be M62s rebuilt with GE prime movers, they are 2ZAGAL' class ('Two White Horses') . They have done the same with some TE10s.

Mongolia: 2010.09.17-924 MDZ 2ZAGAL-007 Züünkharaa

Thanks, and that looks cute! There's an outfit in Mongolia that now runs tours for enthusiasts going out into the countryside to do lineside photography, mainly it would seem of service trains both freight and passenger. I do know some people who've been on them and the results are stunning. If I was a bit younger and fitter I might give it a go myself!

I think this chap is the organiser, and his Photostream on Flickr has some great images of the country, not just of trains,  https://www.flickr.com/people/batkhurel/

John.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Dennis,

Yes, our first.

Which set me thinking on 'extremes'. I went to school with a mate, who got married immediately after leaving at 18. A year later, and he was a dad. By the time he was 40, he was a grandad. I'm 78 next week, so a bit of a difference, and Mo is 77 early next year!

A dear friend, younger than I am, is already a great granddad! 

I think we can be classed as 'elderly grandparents'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

These things can get very confusing. When my daughters were still teens one of the families with girls we gave lifts to for dancing lessons had such a complex family history that Girl A was the Aunt of Girl B despite being younger in age! Their true names withheld for obvious reasons.

• RMweb Gold

Despite the necessity of running around for this and that with regard to two new little mites.............

601226015921furtherprogress.jpg.0ea928c269793b97aa04aafd0b4cfda8.jpg

I've managed to get more done on the two DJH A1s (60122 to the fore, 60159 behind).

The fold-up brass front end can be tricky to get right (as I've found on a few other DJH A1s I've come across). 

• Like 5