Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

On 15/09/2024 at 03:15, Tony Wright said:

Having recently shown pictures of the Bytham A1s I've built which have been painted by Ian Rathbone, I suppose it's only fair that I show those painted by Geoff Haynes..............

6011901.jpg.34610d2d9be42f494665e6697d35f0db.jpg

6011902.jpg.8ebbfd851f98ea2497e850a3c7f88b71.jpg

DJH. I showed this one earlier, and, strictly-speaking, it doesn't quite qualify (although Geoff Painted it) because I didn't build PATRICK STIRLING entirely. It was started by someone who died, and I completed it (chassis and body detail).

Interestingly (if one is a 'loco-picker'), 60119 was the only A1 never to get a proper Gill Sans front numberplate, retaining the curly-tailed '6' and '9' to the end. 

The rest are all my work............6012101.jpg.15fd995bb24ef9bc7db9579f7dea2ebc.jpg

6012102.jpg.a477bafc5c643651835b56a51646ade8.jpg

DJH. SILURIAN has charge of an Up fast freight.

6012901.jpg.61e88b892291be8a33adee8a36ba7be0.jpg

6012902.jpg.b850931cfa853e505968f56b8052b48d.jpg

DJH. I have no absolute evidence that GUY MANNERING ever worked the 'ANGLO-SCOTTICH CAR CARRIER', but it was certainly a job for Tyneside-based Pacifics on occasions. 

6014601.jpg.66d294c5ebdbb9c24b300e75673de2da.jpg

6014602.jpg.7409781bb642bb3d082e14f9242f3186.jpg

Crownline. PEREGRINE (great name, which should have been retained by an A4, given that it's the world's fastest creature) heads a Down Leeds express. The leading car is a Comet Mk.1 BSO, built long before such niceties were available RTR. 

6015701.jpg.804f8697e1b43c4d495ac5d10cbc5802.jpg

6015702.jpg.e8049edb6629c6671e7001441122c79d.jpg

DJH. Roller bearing-fitted GREAT EASTERN (though not on the model - are there many which have these?) glides regally northbound through the station.............

6015760158.jpg.07115cb00f771a36c24464dbec6dee96.jpg

Moments later to be met by ABEDONIAN (DJH) on an Up York/Hull express.

I have a prototype shot of 60158 passing through Little Bytham.................

60158LittleBythamnorthbound.jpg.17cfe7cbf310cea094a152e5596f5756.jpg

Some time in 1958, a year prior to the station's demolition. 

I've tried before to replicate this view in model form, but never got it right.

I tried again yesterday (now that I have a model of ABERDONIAN)...............

6015801.jpg.6373e231a952116885ea3aced86a50c1.jpg

But, until someone invents a sub-miniature camera, physics doesn't allow me the possibility. Perhaps I should have moved the loco's position around a bit, but it's really rather academic because the salient points are evident. 

Without further labouring the point, this is where those who don't model an actual prototype have the advantage (the ground signal next to the loco is incorrectly-sited. Were it in the right place, it would sit over a substantial bearer, meaning it couldn't be made to work - which it does where it is). 

I asked earlier if there many other DJH A1s out there, but not many (if any) have appeared. May we see them, please?

Why, you could use a periscope lens!  A couple were made by Clearwater features for the production of Thomas the Tank Engine, which allowed them to get a 35mm cine camera to get quite up close and personal with their gauge 1 trains, while also using a special camera rig to move smoothly for tracking shots.  A watch of the second series of the television series will show how versatile and able the system truly is.  I know one person how tried to make one for personal use, but I'll have to find the link to that later.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 1471SirFrederickBanbury said:

Why, you could use a periscope lens!  A couple were made by Clearwater features for the production of Thomas the Tank Engine, which allowed them to get a 35mm cine camera to get quite up close and personal with their gauge 1 trains, while also using a special camera rig to move smoothly for tracking shots.  A watch of the second series of the television series will show how versatile and able the system truly is.  I know one person how tried to make one for personal use, but I'll have to find the link to that later.

Two questions.

What would a periscope lens (whatever that is) cost? How would one go about acquiring one, even if one could afford it? 

Clearwater must be a professional visual production company; all I'm doing is mucking about with a very good Nikon camera and lenses. Hardly in the same league?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tony Wright said:

Two questions.

What would a periscope lens (whatever that is) cost? How would one go about acquiring one, even if one could afford it? 

Clearwater must be a professional visual production company; all I'm doing is mucking about with a very good Nikon camera and lenses. Hardly in the same league?

Regards,

Tony. 

All point made being true, but it is something that I wish was commercially available.  I did find the making of a miniature one for more normal cameras, and considering that 009 models were able to be filmed so well with this system, I would look to find someone to make one for you if I did so much professional photography.  I might even have a go myself one day, or I could use a Devry "lunchbox" cine camera upside down for filming, which I probably will do once one comes up for the right price on Ebay.  Film is still good in terms of definition I say.

http://sodorscratchbuilding.com/category/cinema/ 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2024 at 08:15, Tony Wright said:

Having recently shown pictures of the Bytham A1s I've built which have been painted by Ian Rathbone, I suppose it's only fair that I show those painted by Geoff Haynes..............

6011901.jpg.34610d2d9be42f494665e6697d35f0db.jpg

6011902.jpg.8ebbfd851f98ea2497e850a3c7f88b71.jpg

DJH. I showed this one earlier, and, strictly-speaking, it doesn't quite qualify (although Geoff Painted it) because I didn't build PATRICK STIRLING entirely. It was started by someone who died, and I completed it (chassis and body detail).

Interestingly (if one is a 'loco-picker'), 60119 was the only A1 never to get a proper Gill Sans front numberplate, retaining the curly-tailed '6' and '9' to the end. 

The rest are all my work............6012101.jpg.15fd995bb24ef9bc7db9579f7dea2ebc.jpg

6012102.jpg.a477bafc5c643651835b56a51646ade8.jpg

DJH. SILURIAN has charge of an Up fast freight.

6012901.jpg.61e88b892291be8a33adee8a36ba7be0.jpg

6012902.jpg.b850931cfa853e505968f56b8052b48d.jpg

DJH. I have no absolute evidence that GUY MANNERING ever worked the 'ANGLO-SCOTTICH CAR CARRIER', but it was certainly a job for Tyneside-based Pacifics on occasions. 

6014601.jpg.66d294c5ebdbb9c24b300e75673de2da.jpg

6014602.jpg.7409781bb642bb3d082e14f9242f3186.jpg

Crownline. PEREGRINE (great name, which should have been retained by an A4, given that it's the world's fastest creature) heads a Down Leeds express. The leading car is a Comet Mk.1 BSO, built long before such niceties were available RTR. 

6015701.jpg.804f8697e1b43c4d495ac5d10cbc5802.jpg

6015702.jpg.e8049edb6629c6671e7001441122c79d.jpg

DJH. Roller bearing-fitted GREAT EASTERN (though not on the model - are there many which have these?) glides regally northbound through the station.............

6015760158.jpg.07115cb00f771a36c24464dbec6dee96.jpg

Moments later to be met by ABEDONIAN (DJH) on an Up York/Hull express.

I have a prototype shot of 60158 passing through Little Bytham.................

60158LittleBythamnorthbound.jpg.17cfe7cbf310cea094a152e5596f5756.jpg

Some time in 1958, a year prior to the station's demolition. 

I've tried before to replicate this view in model form, but never got it right.

I tried again yesterday (now that I have a model of ABERDONIAN)...............

6015801.jpg.6373e231a952116885ea3aced86a50c1.jpg

But, until someone invents a sub-miniature camera, physics doesn't allow me the possibility. Perhaps I should have moved the loco's position around a bit, but it's really rather academic because the salient points are evident. 

Without further labouring the point, this is where those who don't model an actual prototype have the advantage (the ground signal next to the loco is incorrectly-sited. Were it in the right place, it would sit over a substantial bearer, meaning it couldn't be made to work - which it does where it is). 

I asked earlier if there many other DJH A1s out there, but not many (if any) have appeared. May we see them, please?

There is something puzzling about those last comparison photos. I have been trying to put my finger on why the comparison view is difficult to capture on the model. I wonder if it is down to the relationship if the signals, buildings and embankments in the background.

In one view, the signal is in front of the booking office. In the other it is to one side of it. Was the real photo taken from a position further back, perhaps with a telephoto lens, which distorts the perspective?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Coal - 

A story that I have heard, first from my late father and also from a long deceased driver, but he could have been feeding the same story back to me.

So on Staines High Street  (now Staines upon Thames) next to the iron bridge (roughly where the old high street station used to be), there used to be a cinema. 

The story is that the projectionist was badgering some friends who were loco crew to drop some coal off when they were waiting at the signal for the old junction. It seems that very late one night, while waiting at the aforementioned bobby to be pulled off, and expecting the usual long wait, the crew decided to carry out the request. So driver and fireman got up onto the tender and the two of them managed to hurl a very large lump of coal onto the cinema roof for the projectionist to collect the next day.

It seems that the roof was not that strong and the large lump of coal went through the roof and landed in the auditorium, where it was discovered the next day.

The story continues that the local newspaper reported that the cinema had been struck by a meteorite. 

I would love to know if any of this is true, but would disappointed if it wasn't. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

MillholmeQ4.jpg.c133b424ea2edf004335569f34feda7d.jpg

A Millholme Q4, from the estate of a deceased modeller (the drive is on the wrong side and will be changed.

Tony I think the other thing that's wrong with the Q4 is it has the wrong firebox shape. A while ago I spent some time studying Q4s as I have a part built Millholme model that I've been building for quite some time. I think the version with the type of splashers shown on the model above should have a waisted firebox. The straight sided firebox version had a long O4 type splasher covering the rear 3 driving wheels on each side which was also provided in the kit. Clearly this is not going to be altered on the model above without a substantial rebuild.

On mine I've modified the firebox to suit.

Andrew

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

There is something puzzling about those last comparison photos. I have been trying to put my finger on why the comparison view is difficult to capture on the model. I wonder if it is down to the relationship if the signals, buildings and embankments in the background.

In one view, the signal is in front of the booking office. In the other it is to one side of it. Was the real photo taken from a position further back, perhaps with a telephoto lens, which distorts the perspective?

Definitely taken from further back, look at the pointwork in the foreground.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Good morning Tony,

I cannot get the camera into exactly the same relative position for several reasons. One, it looks like the photographer of the prototype was standing on Marsh Bridge, and my camera is just too big to be able to do that. There's also the backscene 'sky' behind the bridge which also prevents my sitting the camera in 'the same place'. Which means, as you suggest, the full-sized photograph was taken from further back, though probably with a standard lens. And, also the 'opposite' physics rears its head - huge prototype, little camera/little model, huge camera. Those who use smaller cameras (not a half-brick-sized digital SLR) might do better, but I cannot get on with them.

When Jesse Sim is over next year, I'll ask him to bring his tiny Nikon (about the size of two OXO cubes) and see what we can get with that, though it's very wide-angle.

As I say, those who don't model an actual prototype have it 'easier' in some ways, but not in all. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Definitely taken from further back, look at the pointwork in the foreground.

It was the pointwork that made me wonder if it was a telephoto lens. The points on the real photo look a little bit compressed compared to the model. On the model the points appear to be longer, yet we know they are an accurate copy of the actual trackwork. The angles and curves through the points just look different to me. The only explanation I could think of is that the perspective had been distorted, as you can get with a telephoto lens.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

It was the pointwork that made me wonder if it was a telephoto lens. The points on the real photo look a little bit compressed compared to the model. On the model the points appear to be longer, yet we know they are an accurate copy of the actual trackwork. The angles and curves through the points just look different to me. The only explanation I could think of is that the perspective had been distorted, as you can get with a telephoto lens.

It could be a (short) telephoto lens, Tony.

Who took the picture, I have no idea, and I doubt (seeing that it was exposed at least 66 years ago) he/she is still alive to tell us what equipment was used. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony I think the other thing that's wrong with the Q4 is it has the wrong firebox shape. A while ago I spent some time studying Q4s as I have a part built Millholme model that I've been building for quite some time. I think the version with the type of splashers shown on the model above should have a waisted firebox. The straight sided firebox version had a long O4 type splasher covering the rear 3 driving wheels on each side which was also provided in the kit. Clearly this is not going to be altered on the model above without a substantial rebuild.

On mine I've modified the firebox to suit.

Andrew

Good morning Andrew,

There are probably many things wrong with the model in question. I have to say, it's typical of many I see which come up for sale after the owner(s) have died. That is, with little or no provenance, with no idea who the builder/painter was and often they're not particularly accurate or good runners (though this one does run well). I doubt if many are actual 'commissions', but are bought 'as seen' so to speak. Many owners (up to the day they die) seem to have been 'blissfully ignorant' of any shortcomings in their models - a situation matched by the models' new owners in many cases! 

Is this more the Q4 manifestation you were thinking of?

Q4.jpg.193ad6df4068034dfbff6e8fca60c899.jpg

I can't recall who brought this.

Perhaps it's easier to represent them as rebuilt into Q1 tanks............

69927Q1.jpg.fdbb783264f8d316ae326f3ce1dc579b.jpg

69936Q1.jpg.fa4065287f31d363b91f0f7b34497b9d.jpg

MillholmeQ101.jpg.ab46fcfe643248de6400ba0bde2a0c1e.jpg

MillholmeQ102.jpg.fe38692748b7b1b2e600c0497147b1a4.jpg

MillholmeQ1.jpg.0580821435c6a6f2d81f0ac388446422.jpg

I've certainly photographed plenty of those!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A thing which is 'incorrect' is the provision of two handrail pillars on the smokebox front ring (as on the original B17). There should only be one (at the top)..........

It's worrying about exactly this sort of thing that keeps me awake at night...

...the unknown unknowns.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andrew,

There are probably many things wrong with the model in question. I have to say, it's typical of many I see which come up for sale after the owner(s) have died. That is, with little or no provenance, with no idea who the builder/painter was and often they're not particularly accurate or good runners (though this one does run well). I doubt if many are actual 'commissions', but are bought 'as seen' so to speak. Many owners (up to the day they die) seem to have been 'blissfully ignorant' of any shortcomings in their models - a situation matched by the models' new owners in many cases! 

Is this more the Q4 manifestation you were thinking of?

Q4.jpg.193ad6df4068034dfbff6e8fca60c899.jpg

That's certainly the right combination of firebox and splasher type as I understand it and from photos I've studied.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

On 15/09/2024 at 10:23, PMP said:

That’d be down to poor track laying then.

IMG_4263.jpeg.1861452ec4eaa889336ddacd06bbef1a.jpeg

The code 75 streamline (above) and Cd75 bullhead have channels in the sleeper base for wiring, so you can offset the frog wiring or do vertical drop wires. AFAIK, Code100, Cd80 and the other ranges have it as a standard feature, for example it’s included in the new tt120 range.

Late replying to this (relatives visiting for a long weekend).  All my frog wires go straight down through the baseboard so there's no chance of them getting trapped under the trackwork. I'm fairly confident all the trackwork is flat and i've been running the new Hornby black 5 '5200' through all the slips and turnouts for ten minutes or so 'play' before tackling the next 2 feet of ballasting. (surprisingly given the number of bad reviews, 5200 actually runs very well - being LMS the lamps are black so the size is not too noticeable although I'm going to have to tone down how bright they are.   

Graeme

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, t-b-g said:

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I cannot get the camera into exactly the same relative position for several reasons. One, it looks like the photographer of the prototype was standing on Marsh Bridge, and my camera is just too big to be able to do that. There's also the backscene 'sky' behind the bridge which also prevents my sitting the camera in 'the same place'. Which means, as you suggest, the full-sized photograph was taken from further back, though probably with a standard lens. And, also the 'opposite' physics rears its head - huge prototype, little camera/little model, huge camera. Those who use smaller cameras (not a half-brick-sized digital SLR) might do better, but I cannot get on with them.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It could be a (short) telephoto lens, Tony.

Who took the picture, I have no idea, and I doubt (seeing that it was exposed at least 66 years ago) he/she is still alive to tell us what equipment was used.

Assuming that the model is an accurate dimensional replication of the real thing* the fundamental parameter governing how accurately the model photograph can replicate the original is the lens length** .   It is this parameter that determines the apparent closeness or  otherwise of any two items in a scene and hence the apparent magnification.   We don't know what the actual degree of telephoto was used in the original (although Tony will know it for the model photograph) but what can be said with certainty is that, just from the appearance of the images, the prototype photograph used a higher degree of telephoto than the model.     The situation is complicated as Tony mentioned by the simple geometry limitations of a big camera on a small scene and the fact that the camera cannot be positioned in precisely the correct spot which will always frustrate attempts to get a perfect reproduction.     Shouldn't stop you trying though!  😀  

If  an interesting prototype photograph is available from a position that is accessible on the model it might be fun to see how close one could get to an accurate replication using a zoom lens (assuming there is a suitable one to hand)  to match the unknown focal length used for the original.      Sounds like an interesting investigation for Tony and his two helpers, Puppers and PolyBear, at some point 🤣

*     Which we do

**  As in degree of telephoto - the absolute focal length in mm as Tony is well aware is dependent on the format/size of image at the focal plane

Alan

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Even then I suspect that the degree of compression of the scene produced by the telephoto would be hard to replicate given that you are looking at such a tiny depth compared with the real thing. It would be interesting to experiment though !

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Assuming that the model is an accurate dimensional replication of the real thing* the fundamental parameter governing how accurately the model photograph can replicate the original is the lens length** .   It is this parameter that determines the apparent closeness or  otherwise of any two items in a scene and hence the apparent magnification.   We don't know what the actual degree of telephoto was used in the original (although Tony will know it for the model photograph) but what can be said with certainty is that, just from the appearance of the images, the prototype photograph used a higher degree of telephoto than the model.     The situation is complicated as Tony mentioned by the simple geometry limitations of a big camera on a small scene and the fact that the camera cannot be positioned in precisely the correct spot which will always frustrate attempts to get a perfect reproduction.     Shouldn't stop you trying though!  😀  

If  an interesting prototype photograph is available from a position that is accessible on the model it might be fun to see how close one could get to an accurate replication using a zoom lens (assuming there is a suitable one to hand)  to match the unknown focal length used for the original.      Sounds like an interesting investigation for Tony and his two helpers, Puppers and PolyBear, at some point 🤣

*     Which we do

**  As in degree of telephoto - the absolute focal length in mm as Tony is well aware is dependent on the format/size of image at the focal plane

Alan

I had wondered about placing a mirror on the layout. Then you could use the big camera, which could be set up nearby using any sort of long or short lens. Then it should be possible to reverse the image on the computer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I had wondered about placing a mirror on the layout. Then you could use the big camera, which could be set up nearby using any sort of long or short lens. Then it should be possible to reverse the image on the computer.

It would be worth a try although you really need a surface silvered mirror to avoid degradation and distortion through the glass of a normal mirror.   But, as I say, worth a play on a wet Wednesday morning.

Edited by PupCam
I hate auto correct ….
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

That's certainly the right combination of firebox and splasher type as I understand it and from photos I've studied.

Andrew

The Q4s all switched to a visible waisted firebox at some point in LNER days. All had the clothing following the waisted firebox shape by BR days. Here's 63240 apparently near Little Bytham in 1950 close to withdrawal:

https://archive.rcts.org.uk/product/phw1244/

Edit: I had thought the switch to visibly waisted was early, but there are a number of views of both the long and short splasher types in the Rail Online collection with some with dates into the 1930s:

Here's short splasher 6075 in 1933: 

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p22837719/h67e20ceb

and one with a waisted firebox in GC days:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p22837719/h61ec3479

It's not clear from Yeadon, and I'm open to correction, but it appears the last 35 appeared with visibly waisted fireboxes from new (15 short splashers and the last 20 with the long splashers).

Simon 

Edited by 65179
Correcting info
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PupCam said:

It would be worth a try although you really need a surface silvered mirror to avoid degradation and distortion through the glass of a normal mirror.   But, as I say, worth a play on a wet Wednesday morning.

Let's arrange for your next visit, accompanied by the 'bear', on a wet Wednesday next spring. It'll be fun to experiment.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Let's arrange for your next visit, accompanied by the 'bear', on a wet Wednesday next spring. It'll be fun to experiment.

Sounds like a plan.

8 hours ago, Barclay said:

Even then I suspect that the degree of compression of the scene produced by the telephoto would be hard to replicate given that you are looking at such a tiny depth compared with the real thing. It would be interesting to experiment though !

That's where one of Tony's ultra small aperture lenses (to restore the depth of field in the small scale)  would come to the fore. 

Then the question must be;  does Tony have a suitable ultra small aperture zoom lens at his disposal?  🤔    Roll on the spring I say!

Edited by PupCam
Added reply to Barclay's post
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3