Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, john new said:

A few pages back mention was made of errors in some (all?) of the Roche drawings. I have a King Arthur kit to build (S E Finecast) plus a tender kit (an old Crownline) and the 2nd tender (the Crownline) has at least one major part missing, namely, the tender floor and therefore the bogie mounting points.

If I need to reference a drawing the only one's I have in paper format are the Roche King Arthur loco and bogie tender drawings as included in the Historic Locos drawings book. Are these sufficiently accurate in dimensions to check what I have in the kit against what should be there? Were any in a back edition of Railway Modeller as I have access to that digital archive if there were.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given.

Railway Modeller, November 2001 (drawn by Bob Phelps) according to my index.

Also January 1961, by a Mr. Stephenson.

Model Railway Constructor, April 1978, by a Mr. Ely.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Railway Modeller, November 2001 according to my index.

Model Railways John Gardener Drawing, don't remember the issue. If your SEF kit doesn't have a one piece boiler then it is the earlier issue based on the very inaccurate Roche drawing.

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

L

BachmannLY2-4-2TLMSCrimson31-168.jpg.09c9b3457d47af40f3af0d07af93d825.jpg

Bachmann's 2-4-2 tank in Crimson is a very pretty little loco but on the track it is an appalling runner. Both front and rear bogies ride up going over Code 75 points and derail EVERY TIME, even when going straight on.  I have it and I'm very disappointed. When I have time I'll be performing major surgery in the hope that I can bring it under control.   Their 0-6-2 Webb coal tank is no better. Something is fundamentally wrong with the design of the bogies.

Graeme

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Here's my drawing, for scale coupled wheelbase is 58mm.

ScreenShot2024-09-12at09_46_28.png.33d2a6ac31d2925cf969d028f34d457e.png

Dimensions taken from pipe and rod diagram, these are often more accurate than GAs.

Lovely stuff Mike but I think the original enquiry was about the bogie spacing on the tender. Did you do a drawing for that?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pebbles said:

Model Railways John Gardener Drawing, don't remember the issue. If your SEF kit doesn't have a one piece boiler then it is the earlier issue based on the very inaccurate Roche drawing.

Thanks for the info'. Have just been into the kit stash to check, the boiler is a single piece so hopefully not too inaccurate. 

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, john new said:

Thanks for the info'. Have just been into the kit stash to check, the boiler is a single piece so hopefully not too inaccurate. 

As your query concerns the tender bogie spacing could you not just use the dimensions given with the Roche drawing as they should be correct, even if perhaps the actual drawing isn't ?

Bob

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, john new said:

I can confirm that modifying within reason the original kit, the revised kit used the Gardener drawing as a reference.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Bachmann's 2-4-2 tank in Crimson is a very pretty little loco but on the track it is an appalling runner. Both front and rear bogies ride up going over Code 75 points and derail EVERY TIME, even when going straight on.  I have it and I'm very disappointed. When I have time I'll be performing major surgery in the hope that I can bring it under control.   Their 0-6-2 Webb coal tank is no better. Something is fundamentally wrong with the design of the bogies.

Graeme

Suspect that may be an issue with your model, rather than a general one, as mine is fine over Code 75 points. I've a short clip of it running here, but you'll have to take my word that it goes around the layout without derailments:

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Lovely stuff Mike but I think the original enquiry was about the bogie spacing on the tender. Did you do a drawing for that?

I must have done one at some time but I can't locate it, basic wheelbase dimensions on the Roche drawing should be correct though.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Izzy said:

As your query concerns the tender bogie spacing could you not just use the dimensions given with the Roche drawing as they should be correct, even if perhaps the actual drawing isn't ?

Bob

Thanks. Yes, that is my plan. I was more worried the SEF kit would have mis-matches against the drawing. It was an impulse buy at the Taunton do and if there are differences then

working out if it is the kit or the drawing that is wrong. 

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

Suspect that may be an issue with your model, rather than a general one, as mine is fine over Code 75 points. I've a short clip of it running here, but you'll have to take my word that it goes around the layout without derailments:

I think you've been one of the lucky ones. Sam of Sam's trains youtube reviews had similar issues as me and there was a discussion on RMWEB where people started noticing issues on points and with the front and trailing bogie pickups round about page 18 ..    

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/53404-Bachmann-announce-ly-2-4-2t/page/18/

Graeme

Edited by jacko
posting link
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

I too have a 7mm ROD. Bought at a very reasonable price at auction so I have neither built nor painted it. It had an incorrect GC tender which I was able to alter with bits from the scrap box, and a couple of spare GW tool boxes. It also had a very primitive chassis with cast iron wheels that would not traverse standard finescale pointwork so I bought a David Andrews chassis kit & Slaters wheels (not such a cheap model now). I built a sprung chassis and converted the 2d static valve gear to working 3d, although it’s practically invisible, but I know it is there.

It performs well - a good ‘layout’ loco.

IMG_7722.jpeg.b4fc1d4de10840f57058465187a33708.jpeg

Ian R

Good afternoon Ian,

Rather more than a 'layout loco' I'd say.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jacko said:

I think you've been one of the lucky ones. Sam of Sam's trains youtube reviews had similar issues as me and there was a discussion on RMWEB where people started noticing issues on points and with the front and trailing bogie pickups round about page 18 ..    

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/53404-Bachmann-announce-ly-2-4-2t/page/18/

Graeme

Presumably you have already checked the back-to-backs of the wheels concerned?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I did a DJH A1 for The Model Shop at Guildford, Tony, many years ago. It was the last kit I ever did for him, as I had decided to concentrate on modelling projects for myself. I delivered it to him in grey primer, for (presumably) Brian Badger to paint.

I will always value the experience I gained, building kits for that shop. I often wonder who eventually acquired them and where they are now. I recently saw a Wills ex-SE&CR 'H' class 0-4-4T on Ebay, in BR lined black, just as I finished the model for the shop, over 40 years ago now. It had the same slot arrangement in the Romford crankpin washers, that I always use myself. I've not seen anyone else do that, so I wondered if it was the one I built. But study of my old photos and what was on Ebay convinced me that it wasn't the same loco.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Changing the subject away from locos for a moment (and in no way trying to appear sycophantic), I often pause to admire the excellent bullhead PW in your photos, plus other infrastructure, such as the semaphore signals. I'm sure I read somewhere that you have said that Norman Soloman was responsible for the track, Tony? I have to say, that it doesn't really seem like OO even, to me, more like EM, it's so good!

May I ask who constructed the signals and perhaps if you may post some other photos of 'infrastructure', please?

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with the good Captain here Tony the PW on your layout is very good. It doesn't look 00 at all.

I'm not a fan of commercial track as it's very expensive compared to hand built track and doesn't look at all convincing. It's always been a mystery why others don't build their own as once you get the hang of it, built a few jigs and brought the gauges it's very easy to build for yourself and costs a fraction of RTR track.

Regards Lez.     

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I have to agree with the good Captain here Tony the PW on your layout is very good. It doesn't look 00 at all.

I'm not a fan of commercial track as it's very expensive compared to hand built track and doesn't look at all convincing. It's always been a mystery why others don't build their own as once you get the hang of it, built a few jigs and brought the gauges it's very easy to build for yourself and costs a fraction of RTR track.

Regards Lez.     

I think you may have answered your own question.  Alternatively, someone can buy some Peco Streamline plus a few points and probably lay the entire layout of a decent BLT in an afternoon. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez.     

Commercial bullhead track does look convincing and is a good example of the time/cost balance. I'd never build plain track.

Commercial points, until recently, less so - but the Peco ones aren't all that bad and regarding kits the new British Finescale ones are receiving excellent reports (I haven't built one - yet) and are a lot quicker to build than say C&L kits. Usual disclaimer in all cases.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3