Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, gingerangles said:

Thanks for the reply @Tony Wright, looks like I definitely have the basis of an O4/1 then. The inclusion of the vacuum ejector pipe excluding the O4/3s. 

WhatsAppImage2024-09-08at20_53.22_770611b1.jpg.cf08807ca28237d7f7b1dd1fbdaa9fe4.jpg

The tender doesn't seem to have any additional equipment as far as I can tell for a scoop...

WhatsAppImage2024-09-08at20_53.25_8dfa58b5.jpg.b459e1270c04c68e8f7f3223b6585e79.jpg

Is this tender rear correct for an O4/1?

In LNER days, I assume most O4/1s still retained water pick-up gear. 

Bachmann's model was certainly an O4/1.

O424header.jpg.528ed389d846de53a3de248a7693598a.jpg

I renumbered/detailed/weathered the one I had (note the 'ship's wheel' on the tender front to work the water pick-up).

Bachmann0431-00203.jpg.e8b47e6ac0029670df1f7f2b573948a2.jpg

But the tender rear suggests no water pick-up gear (63635 was an O4/1). 

JBO4101.jpg.96429e08cebdd5f621ad2c5c795a6ac8.jpg

This O4/1 was built from a Little Engines kit, and it retains its pick-up gear.

I must admit to being ignorant of many aspects of locos' tenders. It's probably true that the pick-up gear was removed from some O4s' tenders, but I leave it to those with the requisite knowledge to explain.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, ScRSG said:

Links, please.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/beestudio2016

Motor house seems to have gone or should I say has nothing for sale as they are still registered as a vendor but there is this as well, I have brought from here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/helloalian?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l170197

Regards Lez.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

They're 'Just Like The Real Thing' products in O Gauge.

Whether they're still available, I don't know. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I have a complete JLTRT pannier kit with wheels and motor/gearbox that I bought more than 15 years ago, but which I've never felt man enough to start building. Maybe this (or next) year will be the one.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Tony

I'd like to pose a question if I may.

A little while ago I seem to recall that you posted a picture, of I know not what, which showed your 'rolling road' in the background.

I did look back through the WW thread but despite going back 60 pages I couldn't find it, such is the pace at which this thread moves!

I have a very poor DCC Concepts attempt at a rolling road, but each roller is loose rather than being fixable in position:

SJP_823000102240823.jpg.721a613f764f55169e55b1fa96433840.jpg

This means that if you just touch one of the rollers with a loco wheel, or worse still a dangling bogie - and there is nothing worse than a dangling bogie! - then the roller just falls over, or off of the supporting track, which means it is very hard to get set up or to use.

At the same time I seem to recall that the more superior device that you use is no longer in production?

Can you tell me where it is from and / or whether there are any equivalents currently available?

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

A little while ago I seem to recall that you posted a picture, of I know not what, which showed your 'rolling road' in the background.

I did look back through the WW thread but despite going back 60 pages I couldn't find it, such is the pace at which this thread moves!

I have a very poor DCC Concepts attempt at a rolling road, but each roller is loose rather than being fixable in position:

This means that if you just touch one of the rollers with a loco wheel, or worse still a dangling bogie - and there is nothing worse than a dangling bogie! - then the roller just falls over, or off of the supporting track, which means it is very hard to get set up or to use.

At the same time I seem to recall that the more superior device that you use is no longer in production?

Can you tell me where it is from and / or whether there are any equivalents currently available?

Tony

That sounds very much like it could be the one previously manufactured by Bachrus in the USA - which I do believe is NLA.  I have one - and very nice they are too.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

Tony

Interesting - I've never had any trouble with my DCC Concepts rollers (usual disclaimer).

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Interesting - I've never had any trouble with my DCC Concepts rollers (usual disclaimer).

Perhaps I'm just clumsy?

Unless the rollers are exactly placed they can also move out of position whilst a loco is running on them - which either causes a loss of traction or in extreme cases, the loco falls off!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

I too use the DCC Concepts rolling road and while some of them are a little loose most of them are fine. I must add that I use the EM/P4 spacers. Try adding a sliver of 5 thou plasticard or even paper to the outside edge of the bottom of the spacers to wedge them between the rails and that should sort out the problem. Just make sure that the metal is still in contact with the rails properly.

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Carrying on with the Midland 3F theme, let us not forget the 'oddball', 43435, which carried a Deeley/Fowler pattern tender unlike all its fellows! A Derby stalwart.

DSCN1352.JPG.0d123c93f2467ad9aa10cfba9cfc24b0.JPG

DSCN1351.JPG.91454a257125e497101a32d3f9b0d3e1.JPG

A Bachmann 3F which is married to a modified Hornby 4F tender. The Bachmann 4F tender would be a quicker and better conversion but I did not have spare Bachy tender to hand.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

Tony

Good morning Tony,

The rolling road I use is called 'The Saddle'. It's made (or was) by Bachrus (though I don't know if it's still available). 

Here it is in use underneath a DJH 'Princess Coronation' I was building....................

DJHSemi04.jpg.8808d472e2da1e10c843687f2b9c95c1.jpg

DJHSemi05.jpg.ad9b4d8af07ab1ad9a391eb4bc813fb9.jpg

The beauty of it is, it's fully-adjustable (locked by a small allen key). Which means, not only can it be adjusted from N Gauge up to O Gauge (even though separate ones are/were sold as small, medium or large - this one is Med 50B-3), it can be set so that the rollers are a friction-fit between the rails, and can't be knocked out of position.

Details on the box are 'The Saddle' by Bachrus (inc), sales@bachrus.com, www.bachrus.com, Tel: 905-337-9592, Fax: 905-337-0181

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
clumsy grammar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I tried one, but it's not a patch on the Bachrus one. It was loose and wobbly in comparison. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 45568 said:

Also just finished, this Bachmann Fairburn 2.6.4 tank, revived from a rather shabby secondhand example to a Nottingham regular. Fox transfers numbers/crests, Modelmaster shed code. Detailing pack still available from Bachmann spares department.

DSCN1358.JPG.2c8d3b17ec47f63b7374afd48f2b5622.JPG

DSCN1360.JPG.1211e4782b053957acd520f815c5aaf4.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Good morning Peter,

Does the Bachmann detailing pack include the front steps?

BachmannFairburn4269132-878.jpg.7d2e5440067c6f75488aeb93ed18cd2c.jpg

They're certainly not present on the loco as supplied.

BachmannFairburn42184.jpg.f8bb758b621bd7c3cf06955905d43764.jpg

I fitted Comet ones to the detailed/modified/renumbered/weathered Bachmann Fairburn tank which runs on the little bit of LB (weathering by Geoff Haynes). The steps are slightly angled-out to accommodate the tighter curves on the M&GNR bit.

BachmannFairburn2-6-4T.jpg.dede95af488c9a826c008d398c5bd0ef.jpg

I can't recall who brought this one (many years ago), but it was some Southern chaps (no front steps).

I've had a couple of DJH Fairburn tanks pass through my hands for sale, including.................

BrianLeestock19DJHFairburn2-6-4T.jpg.2d74d847e0fd2c64a8a83f1c1dc24ea7.jpg

This one from the late Brian Lee's collection.

DJHFairburn2-6-4T42063Portescap150_00.jpg.71b4306295847fed7331c9cf2d12990f.jpg

DJHFairburn2-6-4T.jpg.f6b8b80ff3315149275aa4e06bad06df.jpg

And this one from the Peter Lawson collection.

Fairburn2-6-4T.jpg.724a347e540e5bd7ca4ed3bc5144ee6a.jpg

I can't recall where this DJH example came from, but it was professionally-painted.

I built a DJH Fairburn 2-6-4T, it becoming the property of WMRC. I can't remember what happened to it. I have another to build, but when?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Details on the box are 'The Saddle' by Bachrus (inc), sales@bachrus.com, www.bachrus.com, Tel: 905-337-9592, Fax: 905-337-0181

Hi Tony

Thanks for yoyr help on this; it looks like they have stopped trading as their web domain name is for sale, so I will have to look around for an alternative.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

The rolling road I use is called 'The Saddle'. It's made (or was) by Bachrus (though I don't know if it's still available). 

Here it is in use underneath a DJH 'Princess Coronation' I was building....................

DJHSemi04.jpg.8808d472e2da1e10c843687f2b9c95c1.jpg

DJHSemi05.jpg.ad9b4d8af07ab1ad9a391eb4bc813fb9.jpg

The beauty of it is, it's fully-adjustable (locked by a small allen key). Which means, not only can it be adjusted from N Gauge up to O Gauge (even though separate ones are/were sold as small, medium or large - this one is Med 50B-3), it can be set so that the rollers are a friction-fit between the rails, and can't be knocked out of position.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I couldn't agree more - I bought the one with four sets of rollers some years ago.

As you say - fully adjustable, extremely well built, and very stable.

If they are no longer available, then it's a great loss to the hobby.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Hi Tony

Thanks for yoyr help on this; it looks like they have stopped trading as their web domain name is for sale, so I will have to look around for an alternative.

Tony

Rolling roads - I have the DCC concepts one which I am more than happy with. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Hi Tony

Tony

A quick search for 'Bachrus' on Ebay would be productive.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barclay said:

Might as well add my own pannier to the collection, an 8750 based on a Hornby body, my first loco from the early 70's, detailed with lots of extra parts, and fitted with a Comet chassis, which I can recommend, though for this loco you will have to move the front splasher to the correct location.

Also my own attempt at a rolling road, just some brass sections from the K&S stand and some cheap roller bearings. Not sophisticated but it works!

Photo3.jpg.b4949192e2964083c6b85fdb88a0e44c.jpg

This is potentially an option with the DCC concepts items, they could be detached from their spaces and placed in jigs like this.  You'd just lose the ability to drop them on a piece of track.

I also have the DCC items and know exactly what the OP is talking about.  

Edited by gingerangles
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Peter,

Does the Bachmann detailing pack include the front steps?

Unfortunately not Tony! Overlooked by Bachmann for some reason. However, my large box of accumulated Hornby and other spares, mostly purchased from Peters Spares when they exported overseas at a reasonable cost, and spares were plentiful, provided suitable items from the Hornby Thompson L1 detailing pack!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Isherwood said:

A quick search for 'Bachrus' on Ebay would be productive.

John Isherwood.

Beware that one of those coming up in the search is most definitely NOT Bachrus - only the plastic box is (being sold by Rails of Sheffield).

• Agree 1