Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Inspirational models: Nether Stowey.

Not because it looked good for N gauge, but it did.

Not because it was small enough for me to visualize it fitting in the space I might be able to have for it.

But because the text started with “ I built this for my son” and I thought if that dad built it then I might be able to persuade mine do also build a layout for/with me. Alas that never happened. 
richard 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I have had no involvement with the construction of Gresley Beat but I did go out with it as an operator a few times when some of the regular gang were not available.

The shows were to places like the Warley NEC and Utrecht.

The Gresley Beat gang are as good a bunch of people as any modeller could wish to spend some time with and the almost constant deep crowds around the layout made the experience highly rewarding but there were a couple of things that didn't really fit with my idea as to what I would want from a layout.

The first was the sheer size and weight of some of the baseboards. When you need 10 people to move a baseboard, that is going some.

The second was the operation. There were 5 operators in action at any one time. 4 had an independent circuit each, the 5th had the carriage sidings and the loco shed. So as an operator on the main lines, you had a few loops and maybe 3 or 4 trains that you sent round one after the other. The different combinations of trains passing on the scenic section looked great but as an operator, it was a bit on the dull side.

So it was a great exhibition layout. I say was as I don't think there are plans to show it again due to the age and health of some of the crew. It looked fantastic and alway drew a huge crowd. Yet I don't think it would be any fun at all as a home based layout for having friends round to enjoy operating sessions. I can't imagine that the good folk at the MRC run Copenhagen Fields other than for testing and checking prior to a show either. It is very much a layout to wow a viewer rather than to be run for the satisfaction of operating it.

So we can see the difference between layouts built for different purposes being satisfying in different ways.

The very best layouts, in my view, satisfy in both departments. Visually and operationally. A great looking layout that has dull operating misses a trick. As does a layout that is great for operating but doesn't look as good as it might.

Edited by t-b-g
typo
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Richard_A said:

I keep on thinking about how a fictitious Swansea Central railway station would look, it was proposed a few times, but obviously nothing came of it.

A mix of gwr, lnwr, midland, but which company would have the biggest input?

Assuming it actually replaced High Street, Victoria and the other, smaller stations, then without a doubt it would be the GW that had the biggest input, then the LNWR and the poor old Midland last...

There was also a proposal for a Bath Central after the second world war. That also came to nothing and would have replaced Bath Spa and Bath Green Park. One proposal I've seen had the S&D being diverted from Midford to follow the valley to Limpley Stoke and then up the Avon valley to Bathampton and Bath Central, thus enabling the bottleneck of the two single line tunnels to be closed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

My vote would be cast for Springwood by Bob Denham...seen many moons ago (Central Hall possibly) and another 'N in a big space' layout. Back when I had to buy RM not help assemble the things! Tim Rayner

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

There was also a proposal for a Bath Central after the second world war. That also came to nothing and would have replaced Bath Spa and Bath Green Park. One proposal I've seen had the S&D being diverted from Midford to follow the valley to Limpley Stoke and then up the Avon valley to Bathampton and Bath Central, thus enabling the bottleneck of the two single line tunnels to be closed.

There was a large layout based on that premise in the Modeller about 50 years ago.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Assuming it actually replaced High Street, Victoria and the other, smaller stations, then without a doubt it would be the GW that had the biggest input, then the LNWR and the poor old Midland last...

That's pretty much my thinking,  I'd imagine it would have looked like a smaller version of Cardiff central on the raised connecting lines which ran to the rear of the high street with the station near the castle remains, but as the structure was deemed unsafe (in the 1950s?) would there have been a preemptive rebuild of the structure in lieu of heavier trains and possible future expansion?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning,

I have no pictures of Wickham, and any of Eastfleet are on transparency.

However,

BallyconnellRoad02.jpg.979c41c8ec7fb2c5e95fc3cb92da8b86.jpg

BallyconnellRoad03.jpg.6c0299f1c222ea2c5191417844b47ae7.jpg

BallyconnellRoad11.jpg.3625921c39cf29128a1844004834b55f.jpg

I do have a few digital images of Ballyconnell Road.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CF MRC said:

To answer your question, the layout is forty years old this year.

I had the pleasure of seeing Copenhagen Fields in action at Buxton Railex. I recall seeing articles about the layout many years ago, certainly before I was able to start modelling myself. It is more than a model railway layout. It is no less than the recreation of a slice of London in totally as it was around 80 years ago. I was mesmerized for some time - so much to see!

Bravo!

Kind regards,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven't ever been "inspired" by a layout. I have been impressed by many, including lots of those already mentioned. I would add Adavoyle, Bramblewick, Aylesbury (Geoff Williams) and Claredon to those listed. I would also like to add the delightful Welsh narrow gauge layout which could be viewed from several directions but I can't recall its name. I have drawn inspiration from features on layouts, both to do and also not do certain things, which is rather different.

I have been inspired by those that built such layouts and those who demonstrate fine modelling skills, including the late, great, John Hayes as well as Geoff Kent, Roy Jackson and many others. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Orion said:

Tony, do you still have photos of Tumill, Helsby & Haddon, a 2mm layout you photographed many years ago -1990s?

Good afternoon Orion,

Only on medium-format transparency, so cannot post them on here.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Orion,

Only on medium-format transparency, so cannot post them on here.

Regards,

Tony. 

I am surprised they have not been scanned.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MJI said:

I am surprised they have not been scanned.

I would imagine it'd be a huge task...when "Sir" could be otherwise engaged building Locos instead....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

I would imagine it'd be a huge task...when "Sir" could be otherwise engaged building Locos instead....

Well at 5 min per good 35mm slide.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I haven't ever been "inspired" by a layout. I have been impressed by many, including lots of those already mentioned. I would add Adavoyle, Bramblewick, Aylesbury (Geoff Williams) and Claredon to those listed. I would also like to add the delightful Welsh narrow gauge layout which could be viewed from several directions but I can't recall its name. I have drawn inspiration from features on layouts, both to do and also not do certain things, which is rather different.

I have been inspired by those that built such layouts and those who demonstrate fine modelling skills, including the late, great, John Hayes as well as Geoff Kent, Roy Jackson and many others. 

Good afternoon Jol,

Anything I took of Bramblewick was on film, and I have no images of Aylesbury.

However,

Clarendon02.jpg.1acbc9a55ed2a45611f1a4a7832e328b.jpg

Clarendon01.jpg.64fbbf49e261d18a0fa63e2def586d6d.jpg

Clarendon03.jpg.c0214925cc416465c29eadcdb5b60d43.jpg

Adavoyle32railcarinstation.jpg.8edad732697c14a0ae4e8bc5cfad6a3b.jpg

Clarendon and Adavoyle have formed subjects.

I think the narrow gauge layout you mention was Crumley & Wickhill (or something like that), AKA 'The stealth bomber'!

I have some shots of it, but where?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MJI said:

Well at 5 min per good 35mm slide.

Carrying on...................

So, assuming I had a scanner, how long to process thousands of 6mmx7mm, 6mmx9mm or 5"x4" transparencies? I didn't use 35mm.

These trannies were shot (mainly) on commission, the publishers scanning them for printing in magazines.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

If I had a scanner.....................

I took lots of colour slides in the 1980s, mostly of real railways.

I was given a wonderful scanner a few years ago, which ran in conjunction with my PC, then operating on Windows XP.

Then Microsoft changed everything (for not apparent advantage to this particular customer), as they are wont to do every few years and my lovely slide scanner was rendered useless overnight.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I was given a wonderful scanner a few years ago, which ran in conjunction with my PC, then operating on Windows XP.

Then Microsoft changed everything (for not apparent advantage to this particular customer), as they are wont to do every few years and my lovely slide scanner was rendered useless overnight.

Pick up a s/h Laptop off Ebay (should be available very cheaply), disable internet access then use that with the scanner, saving to an external drive or memory stick for transfer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Carrying on...................

So, assuming I had a scanner, how long to process thousands of 6mmx7mm, 6mmx9mm or 5"x4" transparencies? I didn't use 35mm.

These trannies were shot (mainly) on commission, the publishers scanning them for printing in magazines.

Regards,

Tony. 

There are large format ones.

Depends on what you want to do with them.

My worry is some over 40 have faded badly

27 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It depends on whether you still have your machine running on XP. If you have and it works, there should be no reason for the scanner not to work with it. As long as the machine isn't connected to the internet, and so vulnerable to hack as the security is outdated, you could scan the slides on it, then transfer the files to a separate hard drive as back up. A newer machine, with say Windows 10, should be able to access the hard drive and display the pictures.

I know little about computers, and only got one for the purpose of switching to digital photography and scanning my old slides, much else and I'm clueless!

Re. scanning btw I'd say you'd be lucky to fully process an individually done slide scan in five minutes, taking set up, selection and loading into account. If you do a batch on auto, with minimal after processing, well maybe, but then the chances of it doing full justice to your original are not high.

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4