Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

I'm sure you'll be delighted with your new Hornby B17/5............

HornbystreamlinedB17s28.jpg.d405425c868a4d45cc8534220f24f7cb.jpg

The livery application is quite outstanding - fully up to top 'professional' standards.

HornbystreamlinedB17s25.jpg.829c7652429cc3db757a828fe32f085f.jpg

Even the 'open' and 'close' directions are present (and legible) around the hole to take the rod for opening the cod's mouth!

One 'criticism' I have is that the lubricator drive has to be disconnected to take the body off (as with the Hornby A4s and W1). Interestingly, nothing is present in the instructions explaining how to separate the body from the chassis.

I've yet to fit the extra components to the LNER version.

Oddly, the handles for opening the inspection hatches are missing on this model (the holes for them are present, as can be seen).

HornbystreamlinedB17s15.jpg.1a86dfbea83e09b5bdc04d1b0d955bed.jpg

They're present on the BR black version. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Has the relationship of the nameplate to the leading boilerband been investigated Tony? On the real loco, the band goes through the S in East but on the model it is just ahead of the T. So one or the other could be adrift, or maybe both.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Tony,

Can i remind you of this one?    I'm sure I don't need to tell you where it is pictured.

Roy_B17_5_small.jpg.0f6917a4be2a9d572f56346fb6334786.jpg

By Roy Mears (probably for Mark Allatt) at the LB 1938 weekend, 29-07-18.

Thanks Jonathan,

Station Road is regularly use to park locomotives.

Did it run? If so, I'm sure I would have taken its picture, though I have none. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Has the relationship of the nameplate to the leading boilerband been investigated Tony? On the real loco, the band goes through the S in East but on the model it is just ahead of the T. So one or the other could be adrift, or maybe both.

Good evening Tony,

I've read somewhere (naturally, I can't now find where) that the nameplates were lengthened later in the loco's life. Could that account for the anomaly? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Baldyoldgit said:

I wonder if Hornby will make the coaches to go with it.

Tony.

Good evening,

It's highly-unlikely, given that the train (The East Anglian') was made-up of open stock (described as 'central corridor' in one publication). 

It would be good if Hornby re-visited its Gresley gangwayed stock, and got the body-side profile correct. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 8

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

Oddly, the handles for opening the inspection hatches are missing on this model (the holes for them are present, as can be seen).

Regards,

Tony. 

It looks to me like the BR one also has the holes?

Screenshot2024-08-22at22_19_34.png.0072822fa15f3e5f5cc3bc679f94569d.png

The larger rectangular  hatches have the handles like the later A4 style, but it looks like the small square panels still have the holes.

Screenshot2024-08-22at22_13_46.png.9611afb8ce4a6535f4db73cbfdd4f27e.png

It looks in this photo like there might have been a similar fastening to the original larger hatches with the twin fastenings, but then RCTS 2B fig. 175 looks more like just a small hole.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It would be good if Hornby re-visited its Gresley gangwayed stock, and got the body-side profile correct. 

And even better if they produced the shorter length 52'6" stock used on the GE section .....😊

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Andy (thegreenhowards) brought his 4-LAV to Segog on Wednesday.  The previous owner had set it up as follows:

Driving Bk2nd - Non corridor Comp with first class towards the other comp - Lav Comp with first class away from the other comp - Driving Bk2nd

I think this is correct, but could Robert advise?  Bill

Edited by bbishop

1 hour ago, AdamOrmorod said:

The larger rectangular  hatches have the handles like the later A4 style, but it looks like the small square panels still have the holes.

It looks in this photo like there might have been a similar fastening to the original larger hatches with the twin fastenings, but then RCTS 2B fig. 175 looks more like just a small hole.

Looking closely at photos there appears to be a bolthead sticking out of the holes - so maybe I'll be looking for suitable diameter brass rod?

Interesting comments about the positioning of the nameplates - hopefully the brass ones will fit in the correct position without any holes showing. I'd better start cutting them out!

Edited by Woodcock29
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Good morning,

Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed. How interesting. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I suspect that in addition to the Golden Arrow Models streamlined B17 body, there was another 4mm scale resin version at one time by Dean Sidings - no more accurate than the Golden Arrow version according to my recollection.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, bbishop said:

Andy (the Greenhowards) brought his 4-LAV to Segog on Wednesday.  The previous owner had set it up as follows:

Driving Bk2nd - Non corridor Comp with first class towards the other comp - Lav Comp with first class away from the other comp - Driving Bk2nd

Bill,

Having looked at photos, I think you’re right. And investigating further, I could turn the coach round with the couplings provided. I think this is correct.

IMG_0162-compressed.jpeg.f01c6470b08093b2937ab5d28b15adf4.jpeg

Confirmation would be appreciated.

Andy

• Like 14

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Did it run? If so, I'm sure I would have taken its picture

I'm not sure it did - I only have that picture of it.    I'll have a look to see whether I have any of it finished.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony & everyone

As noted a few days ago, I have now uploaded to RMweb Marketplace the items for which I am seeking offers.

They are:

1, Isinglass Quint Art Kit 00 (as new, boxes only opened to examine contents)

2. A set of three Bachmann Ventilated Vans (all W133980) (Code 37-731)

3. A set of three Dapol Banana Vans (all B881632) (Code B345)

4. Another set as above.

5. Bachmann BR Black Collett Goods No.2253 – Non-runner (Code 32-306)

6. Bachmann BR B1 No.61003 Gazelle – Non-runner (Code 31-708)

7. Heljan 47xx 2-8-0 N.4705 – Non-runner (Code 4784)

8, Hornby Schools No.30915 Brighton – Non-runner

If you make an offer and ‘win’, please make sure you tell me you are a contributor to this thread. I will make a donation to Tony’s CRUK appeal depending on what sells and for how much.

Many thanks

Brian

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, bbishop said:

Andy (the Greenhowards) brought his 4-LAV to Segog on Wednesday.  The previous owner had set it up as follows:

First class sections should be next to each other.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

And even better if they produced the shorter length 52'6" stock used on the GE section .....😊

Bob

Not to mention a restaurant car and accompanying TO (later SO) carriage, a combination which featured in a large proportion of LNER/ER expresses other than the absolute prestige ones with three catering vehicles (which are simply too much for realism within the length available to many modellers, however lovely they look). 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Especially since they have proved this is fully possible with the non-gangwayed. The subject selection will be what leads to arguments.

4 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Not to mention a restaurant car and accompanying TO (later SO) carriage, a combination which featured in a large proportion of LNER/ER expresses other than the absolute prestige ones with three catering vehicles (which are simply too much for realism within the length available to many modellers, however lovely they look). 

Now, if Hornby believe that the Coronation set is a goer, and Ellis Clark are willing to take a punt on Quad-Art sets, there's little that isn't possible; or so it seems to me. Go on, try a restaurant triplet...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony & everyone

Totally agree with 34C above - within The Results of The 00 Wishlist Poll, the Gresley Triplet set has been consistently High Polling and has been consistently the 'most wanted' item of LNER catering stock.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

Please excuse the interruption!

I am building a G-Train GCR 9Q, LNER B7 4-6-0. It is a first class kit but does not include all that is needed to complete. I have most items in my various spares boxes but could really do with some advice on where to purchase suitable ex GCR oval buffers that were fitted to these locomotives. I have searched the web with no luck so far.Many thanks.

Kind regards,

59 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Tony,

I am building a G-Train GCR 9Q, LNER B7 4-6-0. It is a first class kit but does not include all that is needed to complete. I have most items in my various spares boxes but could really do with some advice on where to purchase suitable ex GCR oval buffers that were fitted to these locomotives. I have searched the web with no luck so far.Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Kean Maygib used to do these, they supplied a GCR buffer with a larger diameter head that needed to be shaped. Occasionally Branchlines have had Kean Maygib buffers, they could be worth contacting.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

I'm sure you'll be delighted with your new Hornby B17/5............

HornbystreamlinedB17s28.jpg.d405425c868a4d45cc8534220f24f7cb.jpg

The livery application is quite outstanding - fully up to top 'professional' standards.

Even the 'open' and 'close' directions are present (and legible) around the hole to take the rod for opening the cod's mouth!

One 'criticism' I have is that the lubricator drive has to be disconnected to take the body off (as with the Hornby A4s and W1). Interestingly, nothing is present in the instructions explaining how to separate the body from the chassis.

I've yet to fit the extra components to the LNER version.

Regards,

Tony. 

I do feel compelled to level at least 2 additional criticisms at Hornby's otherwise wonderful work (and no, I wont take to criticising the shade of green, as it looks far better than many of Hornby's past attempts). 

My first criticism is that the boiler banding is still wrong.  IIRC, the white edging on the black lining is only 3/16", and while I forgive Hornby for not being able to get their lines as fine as a top notch bow-pen, in my eyes, it destroys the look of the boiler banding when the white is as thick as the black lines, giving a very different look.  In the past, I used to put the white on first, then paint on the black and scrape it off the edges with a very sharp knife, which is tedious, but effective.  Now however, my recent acquisition of a 13 piece Kern draughting tool set (for cheap I might add) seems to be the best way forward. 

My second minor grievance is that the valve gear is still of the stamped looking type which IMHO ruins the looks of a nice model, making it rather toy-like.  One of my favourite parts of the venerable Gresley pacifics are the extremely fine links and levers used for the valve gear, coupling, and connecting rods, especially with the note that the thickness of the web of the connecting rods is only 3/8" thick.  The look of the extremely fine valve gear is what completes the Gresley locomotive look for me, with everything being fine in vertical respects and more robust in sideways thickness, that being the exact opposite of Hornby's usual offering.  I also cant stand the blackened look, as it looks nothing like most photos of locos, though that is more of a subjective opinion.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 1471SirFrederickBanbury said:

I do feel compelled to level at least 2 additional criticisms at Hornby's otherwise wonderful work (and no, I wont take to criticising the shade of green, as it looks far better than many of Hornby's past attempts). 

My first criticism is that the boiler banding is still wrong.  IIRC, the white edging on the black lining is only 3/16", and while I forgive Hornby for not being able to get their lines as fine as a top notch bow-pen, in my eyes, it destroys the look of the boiler banding when the white is as thick as the black lines, giving a very different look.  In the past, I used to put the white on first, then paint on the black and scrape it off the edges with a very sharp knife, which is tedious, but effective.  Now however, my recent acquisition of a 13 piece Kern draughting tool set (for cheap I might add) seems to be the best way forward. 

My second minor grievance is that the valve gear is still of the stamped looking type which IMHO ruins the looks of a nice model, making it rather toy-like.  One of my favourite parts of the venerable Gresley pacifics are the extremely fine links and levers used for the valve gear, coupling, and connecting rods, especially with the note that the thickness of the web of the connecting rods is only 3/8" thick.  The look of the extremely fine valve gear is what completes the Gresley locomotive look for me, with everything being fine in vertical respects and more robust in sideways thickness, that being the exact opposite of Hornby's usual offering.  I also cant stand the blackened look, as it looks nothing like most photos of locos, though that is more of a subjective opinion.

I agree with you. Then they compound the problem with the valve gear by adding a working lubricator that looks like a second set of overscale valve gear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would like to add that today, I learned that Eisenbahn Canada (a brass train manufacturer) made a few "H0" (I'm not sure about how well its scaled) brass A4, which seems to be a (maybe) scaled version of the Golden Age Models A4, with all of its flaws too.  Not much else to say, but its interesting enough that I feel like I should mention its existent.  https://brassdepartment.com/models/eisenbahn-canada-ho-032-2-lner-a4-sir-nigel-gresley-perserved-streamlined-steam-locomotive-usd-2650-00/

I do wonder if there are any real differences, or if its just a carbon copy?  Tell me if you spot any!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 30368 said:

Tony,

Kind regards,

Maygib buffers as has been noted, otherwise LMS ones aren’t too different and we have oval heads. We also have Iracier axlebox covers which you may need for the tender, depending on which loco you model.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4