Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2024 at 22:59, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Even the reputedly popular GWR doesn't have a single representative of its Welsh origin traction.

I continue to be surprised at how relatively unpopular the GW in South Wales is, as a subject for a layout. I know there are honourable exceptions, but as others have said, some folk seem to think that the GW existed only as a straight line between Paddington and Bristol and some idyllic branches in Devon and Cornwall.

I particularly find the juxtaposition between the GW and other companies particularly fascinating, especially LMS and constituent companies. The whole South Wales Valleys scene is particularly interesting. Despite it being one of my main areas of railway modelling interest now, I still find the whole tangle of routes confusing!

Quite apart from the paucity of pre-Grouping originating RTR prototypes, there also appears to be few kits available as well, especially as the Nu Cast Partners range is (for the moment, at least) becoming unavailable.

Scratchbuilding or major modifications to kits and RTR remains an option. @Re6/6 has been working on the body for ex-Cardiff Railway No.155, which will be mated with a much-modified Comet chassis in due course and will eventually be used on his Fochriw layout - 

Taff Vale Models should also be commended for their new 4mm 0-6-0ST kit - https://taffvale.wales/4mm-scale-Taff-Vale-Railway-V-Class-locomotive-kit-p688071063  Perhaps 3-D printing is the way to go for such relatively small, relatively obscure classes?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Just to show I do get a bit of actual modelling done from time to time, here is a snap of the latest project, a scratchbuilt SR U Class. The wheels, motor and gears are commercial products and the coupling rods and connecting rods were able to be produced from available etches. The rest is scratchbuilt.

Last night was the first time the boiler, smokebox, chimney and dome were all in place and hopefully it starts to look like a U class now.

20240820_225956.jpg.7c92deb3ba11d7a6c9482d3de63c9cb4.jpg

Good morning Tony,

It's lovely. What scale/gauge is it, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

...some folk seem to think that the GW existed only as a straight line between Paddington and Bristol and some idyllic branches in Devon and Cornwall.

You forgot to include: and entirely unconnected to the rest of the UK railway network, as IKB presumably intended by using a radically different gauge; thus the comically unrealistic layouts with solely GWR company owned wagons present. I have no objection to this fantasy interpretation, and it does support what is suggested in the quote.

7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Scratchbuilding or major modifications to kits and RTR remains an option...

Indeed, but rarely seen. One of the Welsh companies apparently 'cloned' the Dean goods, and I have seen a model from a modified kit about fifty years past, and that's pretty much it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

It's lovely. What scale/gauge is it, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony. I should have said when I posted the photo. It is 2mm Finescale, to run on Laurie's Yeovil Town layout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Last night was the first time the boiler, smokebox, chimney and dome were all in place and hopefully it starts to look like a U class now.

A River tank rebuild version then t-b-g?

Looking very good.

Kind regards,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 30368 said:

A River tank rebuild version then t-b-g?

Looking very good.

Kind regards,

Thanks.

Yes, it will be 1790, one of the rebuilt tanks. I have had to learn about the variations in the different batches of U Class locos. They are lots of little traps waiting to catch the unwary!

Tony

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Indeed, but rarely seen. One of the Welsh companies apparently 'cloned' the Dean goods, and I have seen a model from a modified kit about fifty years past, and that's pretty much it.

I'm assuming you mean the Cambrian Railways Jones Goods class ,which lasted well into the 1950's and in their rebuilt form were very similar to the Dean Goods, albeit a bit mote powerful I think 

0-6-0 tender engines were not at all common on the South Wales railways,the B&M had some in its early years and the Taff Vale had a few which the GW inherited and disposed of in the 1920s

Even in post grouping years,the GW didn't use them much in the valleys,the only regular workings were Dean or Collett Goods down the Brecon and Merthyr line to Newport 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Indeed it is, origionallly partially built by Ron Reily (Nerron on RMWEB) who sadly passed. I was gifted a small box with various bits and this DS crane was in there. I finished it, scratchbuilding various bits that were missing and then scratch/kit bashed an open wagon as a runner for the engineers department until something else becomes available. I’m thinking an old GN wagon, when I get round to it. 

Hello Jesse

I believe this kit is still available from Brassmasters. It was intended for the DS Crane.

image.png.9e7b164fcd12f1d6b08b0d103bc3115c.png

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Rear lamps on a Bachmann Cravens. Too bright?

From previous discussions (e.g. here), I believe DMUs carried a traditional tail lamp until the early 1980s, so unless the model represents a preserved unti, they should be switched off.

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

KeithPiercelocos.jpg.6aecbcf709efc21a558d9c3dbc704104.jpg

If that is a Lima "Crab" at the top, well anyone who can make what looks like a decent model from that aberration is a master modeller in my opinion!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I imagine little in the way of carving and filing was necessary to get the Bachmann 4F (or 3F?) loco chassis to fit inside the K's 2F body because the motor had been removed, and it's powered by tender-drive (Airfix?).

In which case, it's much more likely that the loco chassis is from an Airfix 4F too and I see the same underpinnings have been used for a 3F.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

If that is a Lima "Crab" at the top, well anyone who can make what looks like a decent model from that aberration is a master modeller in my opinion!

Good morning,

I think it's a Stanier 2-6-0.

Here's a shot of a section of the layout on which the models run............

KeithPearce09layout.jpg.2f457310e2512b61d8a0bfa6de1b6d7a.jpg

Still very much work in progress in restoring this older piece.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Hello Tony. I should have said when I posted the photo. It is 2mm Finescale, to run on Laurie's Yeovil Town layout.

Thanks Tony,

I thought it might be, but 2mm modelling is so good these days it's often difficult to tell.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, t-b-g said:

It was good to put faces to a couple of RMWeb names at the weekend. It still surprises me when people know who I am!

I can only thank Ralph from MMRS for having the models there. It was a total surprise to me. I had no idea he was bringing them. He was almost apologetic at "hijacking" my signalling demo but to me, they were they highlight of the weekend and I am so glad that he did.

Cheers

Tony 

It was good to show them to others who appreciate the skills these guys had over 70 years ago. They spend their lives in a showcase in our clubhouse so it is nice to share them once in a while.

Ralph 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I continue to be surprised at how relatively unpopular the GW in South Wales is, as a subject for a layout. I know there are honourable exceptions, but as others have said, some folk seem to think that the GW existed only as a straight line between Paddington and Bristol and some idyllic branches in Devon and Cornwall.

I particularly find the juxtaposition between the GW and other companies particularly fascinating, especially LMS and constituent companies. The whole South Wales Valleys scene is particularly interesting. Despite it being one of my main areas of railway modelling interest now, I still find the whole tangle of routes confusing!

As an "unofficial advocate" for area of the West Wales where I grew up, I've always noticed that there are far fewer layouts based on (or inspired by) South and West Wales prototypes and perhaps it reflects the far fewer holidaymakers travelling there by train in the 1930s-1960s, compared to Devon/Cornwall and the Cambrian Coast further North.  Those layouts that do appear in magazines are often owned/built by people living in the area.

It is a shame as the traffics on many of these Welsh lines were considerably more varied than equivalent Cornish branches and with commensurate variety of locos and rolling stock.  Devon and Cornwall had no coal mining and even the china clay traffic was nowhere near the scale of even the peripheries of the South Wales coalfield.  Meanwhile before WW2, Pembrokeshire still had a small coal mining industry, numerous quarries (of multiple different products: lead, granite, limestone and slate), fish traffic from the ports and an oil industry which arrived in the 1960s.  Passenger trains ran through from Paddington to the South Coast and to Neyland and Fishguard, which could be hauled by anything up to Castles, Britannias and even 9Fs.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

lots of little traps waiting to catch the unwary!

There are Tony, I see that you have avoided the cab profile trap? The rebuilds had a much larger cut out extending into the roof which the new builds did not.

Kind regards,