Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

34 minutes ago, Possy92 said:

Hi Tony,

it was a pleasure to see you, (albeit briefly!) on Saturday, many thanks for hosting our flying visit! We thoroughly enjoyed our time, I've learnt a lot about railway operation of the time, and of course, loved your anecdotes! We will definitely come and see you again. Little Bytham, and all the rolling stock is even better in the flesh - thank you for sharing it with us! I'm very honoured to have had a locomotive photographed on your layout.

The L&Y 23 is of Cotswold/Nu-cast heritage, the first locomotive kit I've built. I intend to use it on my WIP layout, "Horwich Works" set roughly late 50s to mid 60s where 11304 was one of the resident shunters.

kind regards,

Andy

If that Cotswold Kit of the L&Y class 23 can be made to look that good, then it inspires me to get mine out of the 'cupboard of shame' (at least 25 years) and get on with it - a great piece of work, especially as a first loco kit. And, with apologies to Tony, it's marvellous to see a 'proper' loco on LB !

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, davidw said:

I suspect that foot boards need to also be under the end doors is that correct?

Yes, but that will be it as far as bogie footboards on end-door stock go.

This was the normal arrangement on end-door corridor and open stock:

enddoorfootboard.jpg.2296a34e6782cd7b9c3fd9dd8fcf559d.jpg

(Dennis Seabrook Collection/LNER Society

D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Darryl Tooley said:

Yes, but that will be it as far as bogie footboards on end-door stock go.

This was the normal arrangement on end-door corridor and open stock:

enddoorfootboard.jpg.2296a34e6782cd7b9c3fd9dd8fcf559d.jpg

(Dennis Seabrook Collection/LNER Society

D

Thanks that's just the type of photo I was looking for!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, davidw said:

I do have lots of weathered stock but I've not been doing any lately. What I have done is these:

IMG_20240812_145609.jpg.b47c8503fcb06e059660c980982aec78.jpg

A pair of gresley open thirds/seconds.

IMG_20240812_145630.jpg.abe02762a5c6cad85efa93f64e797c38.jpg

IMG_20240812_145636.jpg.8ff8fb8cd9655bcbfe481dd8dd0193f6.jpg

I've another SO and BSO to do. With plans for a CK, and BSK and end door stock. Quite pleased with the results so far.

A question if I may. On the original Hornby model, there's what appears to be a foot board between the wheels.  I suspect that foot boards need to also be under the end doors is that correct?

Good evening David,

It was usual to have a footboard at the outer end of the bogie with end-door stock/open stock (of both Gresley and Thompson origin); often with no centre footboard at all.

700051961.jpg.3e0b4123aff4345f84f647a47e91e525.jpg

As here.

Ovalwhitewindow05.jpg.682a9fe6c964dcc133b5d83be4865d64.jpg

And here. I doubt if there's a centre footboard.

ECMLtrain39liningabovewindowsonThompson.jpg.21a410238d5490da560801d09d1d4dc0.jpg

On transverse corridor Thompson stock (other than the brakes), the bogies had no footboards.

ECMLtrain29veryshort.jpg.7be2d39730aaa9a98c9ea6c650e953dc.jpg

They were there on the brakes.

60112.jpg.15d835d8b4247d2d5752658b7e35bf35.jpg

Centre footboards would be there on the all-door stock.

Please (all) respect copyright restrictions on these images.

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

It was usual to have a footboard at the outer end of the bogie with end-door stock/open stock (of both Gresley and Thompson origin); often with no centre footboard at all.

As here.

ECMLtrain39liningabovewindowsonThompson.jpg.21a410238d5490da560801d09d1d4dc0.jpg

On transverse corridor Thompson stock (other than the brakes), the bogies had no footboards.

Regards,

Tony.  

Thanks Tony, at source the Hornby model has a  centre footboard. Possibly incorrect? Unless specific to the prototypes Hornby have modelled.  I've so far used two BCKs as donors. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, davidw said:

Thanks Tony, at source the Hornby model has a  centre footboard. Possibly incorrect? Unless specific to the prototypes Hornby have modelled.  I've so far used two BCKs as donors. 

Good evening again David,

For brakes and the all-door stock, the bogie centre footboards would appear to be correct (though they snap off the Hornby bogies with ease!).

Two of my cars with bogie end steps.................

HornbyMJTGresleyRTO.jpg.f6ef35fe03ad8e8d2502f0d32bf95e87.jpg

Soldered to the metal bogies (though they could be a little longer).

KirkGresleyTK04.jpg.a781c487eb12677195ce1451fbe9fb7c.jpg

And (brass strip) glued to the plastic bogies. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

As here.

Regards,

Tony.  

Hello Tony,

I was intrigued by the photograph of 60046 Diamond Jubilee at Retford. The train consists of only two coaches but the locomotive has express lamps. Presumably it’s a local and 60046 is running in but it does seem strange that it doesn’t have the stopping passenger headcode. There seem to be people in the train so it’s not a shunting move so I presume it’s a stopper from Grantham to Doncaster.

Certainly if I had such a train on Retford I’d get a few funny looks.

Sandra

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, sandra said:

Hello Tony,

I was intrigued by the photograph of 60046 Diamond Jubilee at Retford. The train consists of only two coaches but the locomotive has express lamps. Presumably it’s a local and 60046 is running in but it does seem strange that it doesn’t have the stopping passenger headcode. There seem to be people in the train so it’s not a shunting move so I presume it’s a stopper from Grantham to Doncaster.

Certainly if I had such a train on Retford I’d get a few funny looks.

Sandra

Good evening Sandra,

It's not an uncommon occurrence on the ECML of the period - a big engine on only two coaches.

I'll find some more examples.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for a change this Sunday past my wife and I went up to Louth and visited two gardens that are participating in the National Open Gardens scheme. A bit strange in Louth, there is a beautifully preserved Station and signalbox but worth another visit because we could not stop. But at Fotherby we were walking down the main street to the next garden visit and lo there is a level crossing with a double track main line, rails in situ and level crossing gates collapsing into the undergrowth. Rather sad. But both gardens were well worth visiting if you have the slightest interest in gardening. I recommend The secret garden of Louth, it quite mad, a tropical garden with banana trees and bamboos and little shaded areas with seats and things in them its got a face book page and Woodlands in Fotherby traditional and completely different.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Each to his own but I think both the images with smoke enhance both the models and scenery. This image by Andy York on my Bournemouth West layout depicts the Bournemouth Belle making a spirited start from West station. IMHO the smoke conveys the loco working hard at the start of the gradient out of the station. Not the feeling you would get if it’s missing I think.IMG_0999.jpeg.48cd8eec34095d46d0893fc25edac16a.jpeg

10 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Generally I dont think digital smoke and steam 'works' but this image is an exception.

I will concede that this looks better than most I've seen. Might be the colour/density/fluffiness (technical term).

If the wheels were slipping it would be near-perfect...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Footboards - following on from what others have said and generalising (yes, I know all generalisations are false...), I suspect that lower footboards were only fitted where staff would need to climb up from/down to rail level, usually at doorways nearest the ends of the coach.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Footboards..............

BachmannBG.jpg.67902a5ffee88ac3dd27e83ee944e532.jpg

Many BGs had a footboard on the lower framing below the guard's door, as on this modified Bachmann Thompson example. 

The problem was that there were no footboards on the solebars beneath the doors (these came from a Kirk sprue).

Re-gauged, this now runs on Retford. 

LarryGoddard-paintedThompsonBG.jpg.31adaeb2342b244c5db1dc9fe435dd49.jpg

For the lower footboard on this Lawrence/Goddard Thompson BG, a bit of signal ladder sufficed!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Back in early 80s lots of Plymouth Penzance trains were a 50 with 4 mark 1s, once 3.

TSO SK CK BSK

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Before the weathering topic runs out of steam (or rust, perhaps?); here is an awful example of really bad factory weathering, on a Dapol milk tank:

SJP_315011502240315.jpg.718fb39cb6cace3ca4c20037e2d74787.jpg

It looks like they have simply sprayed everything from chassis to half way up the tank with a thick reddish rust colour!

Fortunatly it comes off quite easily with thinners.

I hope that they have improved since, or given up - but it does serve to show just how good some of the other, self-weathered examples are that have gone before.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

A few years ago Hattons (remember them ?) had a sale on - A Bachmann Standard class 5 in green for around £50 quid or so.

32-504_1.jpg

I bought one with the intention of mucking it up to represent a Patricroft example (always filthy).

On receiving and unboxing she looked wonderful in her green livery, such a shame to desecrate this fine model. So she stayed as is. 73014 was last allocated to Bolton, being condemned from there in July 1967, still in green livery so I have read.

Now I'm not really anti weathering, and some wonderfully weathered models have been shown here recently - but for many of my models it's just not for me. (especially my O gauge North American diesels with their colourful paint schemes). But I did heavily weathered my two Bachmann WD (Dub D's) - and lost their numbers as I weathered over them !! I never saw a clean Dub D with readable numbers !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2