Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Such a shame about the profusion of vegetation on the lineside these days.

Unfortunately it's not a new phenomenon.

When I worked for Network Rail, before retirement a few years ago, it was bad then and vegetation cutting (or 'vegetation management' as they used to like to call it) was always an easy target if my elder and better sharp suit-wearing bosses decided to make budget cuts.

The situation down here in the South West is effectively just as bad as it ever was, despite NR evidently having been given some more vegetation cutting monies a few years ago, when they 'blitzed' certain areas.

In virtually every station area now, between the platforms, weeds and other plants seem to be allowed to bloom away in a fashion which would delight Alan Titchmarsh.

I put much of this down to the decision to abandon proper weedkillers several years ago in favour of Liquid Growmore...

Thanks Captain,

Not only does unrestricted vegetation growth alongside railways suggest future (and current) problems - witness plants growing out of masonry - but it lessens the visual enjoyment of a train journey. 

A few years ago, Mo and I took a return train journey from Kingham (where we were staying near to on holiday) to Oxford (to meet friends). We went along a 'green corridor', with branches brushing against the train and completely obliterating any potential view. 

Some friends reported a similar experience travelling along the Central Wales line, the only 'wider' view being obtained from Knucklas Viaduct (and that had bushes growing from its parapets!). 

Bittern.jpg.15275e0d58a797b23fbe5a3c76b20035.jpg

Spot the locomotive!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

A question, if I may?

Trixwhiskywagons.jpg.a5851b4de9622949d7cd537ac520fde7.jpg

These 11 Trix whisky wagons have been donated for Cancer Research UK.

All appear to be undamaged (though a bit dusty) and run freely.

The question? Does anyone know their worth? Not much, I imagine. Maybe £50.00 for the lot? 

Any help/offers, appreciated.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

They used to be £6-10 each unboxed on Hattons Pre-owned site depending on condition.  I can't see all of the sideboards, but it looks close to a 'full set' of the variations Trix released.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A question, if I may?

Trixwhiskywagons.jpg.a5851b4de9622949d7cd537ac520fde7.jpg

These 11 Trix whisky wagons have been donated for Cancer Research UK.

All appear to be undamaged (though a bit dusty) and run freely.

The question? Does anyone know their worth? Not much, I imagine. Maybe £50.00 for the lot? 

Any help/offers, appreciated.

Tony

I've always liked the whiskey wagons and have a collection of them - probably all that were produced plus a few of the Bachmann versions which appear to have used more or less the same moulds. Can you tell me the name on the one with short boards inside the Abbot's Choice - which is the one on the extreme right please (I've identified all the others). Glad you've a sold them.

I actually had mine out for a couple of months and ran them with a Bachmann Class 20 - very different to what I normally run.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I've answered my own question - I worked out it must be Haig.

Andrew

Don't be vague...

According to http://www.trix.co.uk/wagons new.htm:

1680 Johnnie Walker

1681 Haig

1683 Vat 69

1684 King George IV

1685 Dewar's

1686 Crawford's

1687 White Horse

1688 Jamie Stuart

1689 Maltsters Association

1690 Abbot's Choice

1691 BR

1682 isn't listed and I can't find any reference to it elsewhere.

All these brands (except the Maltsters' Association and BR, obviously) were in the portfolio of The Distillers' Company Limited (DCL), so presumably Trix had a licensing agreement with them.

Edited by St Enodoc
typo and extra info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I've answered my own question - I worked out it must be Haig.

Andrew

Hope you're not being vague?

😉

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

In between finding photographs and taking photographs today, I've completed the bodywork on my latest SEF A4.............

SouthEasternFinecastA46000611bodyworkcompletete.jpg.2dd902b297acafc86adb2c043e342b1d.jpg

In need of a good scrub, then it'll be building the valve gear/motion. 

Can you advise how you prepare for painting, please?

18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Great shot Ollie,

I was ignorant of BLUE PETER's passing by, though I'm with you on your choice of location.

In the last few years, I've found some decent locations for photography around Little Bytham (mainly taking pictures of TORNADO), though some of the following views are not possible now...........

601632350906.jpg.d8acdcbf67fdb119b629ad18ada3ca88.jpg

This was taken from the track beside the school.

601632350908.jpg.80d401fac8e3b75a95b7af6ee9dee706.jpg

And this one shows that beautiful bridge you mention. 

I was not trespassing, just leaning over the low fence - a shot impossible today because of the palisade fencing now erected here.

Tornado3061201.jpg.35cae9830a38b2a3e014ae991807e1c0.jpg

And, from slightly higher up. Doesn't she look better in this livery?

Tornado771501.jpg.d8aa9be4fb2dcb6ec48b7ef72a4fec43.jpg

Taken from the opposite side from your video.

Tornado2931201.jpg.2cf38bb9012efe93229091080ecf582e.jpg

Tornado2931202.jpg.39be7ed17e1a84e797bd1f4674d8e0df.jpg

One really good spot was the top of the abutment which used to support the eastern end of the MR/M&GNR girder bridge (two local chums enjoying the spectacle). Such a view is now impossible because of fencing and even more tree growth. 

TornadoCreeton1161301.jpg.1840cafd10b80f0eac253e3fbf1c8753.jpg

A little further north than your video (again, I'm leaning over the fence). I have no idea if this view is possible today.

One view which is impossible to get today is this.................

GN177-60066LittleBytham11.081962.jpg.7985ecb9e4f256c0abaf0e20c6744ee4.jpg

Shot of the station site taken in 1962 (seen recently).

I did try to get a similar view 50 years later...............

TornadoatBytham01.jpg.312de38414be51197a04f884f349b1b5.jpg

Without success!.

It's even more overgrown after a further decade. 

The station site did give photo opportunities.................

601631850904.jpg.d3a36439b00eb9d2b48145cebc38b02e.jpg

601631850905.jpg.7cc05e53601274140ddd6b6b974d803b.jpg

If one were standing on Marsh Bridge, though vegetation to the left and right is now so dense that a 'side view' is really restricted. 

And, the HSTs on this route are no more!

HST18509.jpg.0a3cb973ef5084a9df6894d7a6f837f2.jpg

Which is a pity, especially in this livery.

When Ian Wilson lived in Careby..............

TornadoCareby1840902.jpg.c8956b12ee23e6df8a31c1fe6ab32715.jpg

TORNADOCareby.jpg.d302bb6bf05cafa5561a115c2e44aa6a.jpg

Tornado24111102.jpg.7d434cb091bcb311b8019f2f3c110426.jpg

From his back garden, one could get shots like this (though I'm told fencing now blocks any view now). 

Class91atCareby.jpg.f50eef49da3b868fdaea3b7a278d3219.jpg

And shots like this.

I just stood just below where an original fence had been. 

A shot at Bytham impossible now is this............

Tornado271109.jpg.424d620d69864c76f06a64bc533cbe7b.jpg

Because new houses now occupy the remains of the goods yard.

Tornado01.jpg.8eef79928c6fd687636cc2d7e598acdb.jpg

Not all shots have been taken in warm, sunny weather (taken from by the bridge at Creeton). 

It was sometimes dull and damp...............

Tornado16409Swayfield.jpg.43f882baa7e957f3e4e33b2ef39d62dd.jpg

TornadoSwayfield371301.jpg.30a48bbad5ebdca28bb334ac6a7c01a6.jpg

Such as on these two occasions at Swayfield. 

I admit to taking my camera out very little these days. As intimated, in the 20 years we've lived in this part of the world, lineside photography has become more and more difficult (unrestricted tree growth must have consequences eventually). Nonetheless, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Regards,

Tony. 

Couple of Bytham rogues in photo 6

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jrg1 said:

Can you advise how you prepare for painting, please?

Good morning,

I scrub the bodywork using an old (but still stiff) toothbrush using kitchen CIF, thoroughly washing it off afterwards.

It'll then go off to Ian Rathbone or Geoff Haynes for painting - they have their own vigorous cleaning regimes, described in the respective books on model painting they've written.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

The 11 whisky wagons (not whiskey - that's American) comprise.........

Dewar's

Abbot's Choice

VAT 69

White Horse

Haig

The Maltsters Association of Great Britain

Johnnie Walker

Jamie Stuart

Crawford's

King George 1V

Un-branded grey BR

A complete set? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Dewar's

Abbot's Choice

VAT 69

White Horse

Haig

Johnnie Walker

Jamie Stuart

Crawford's

King George 1V

Un-branded grey BR

A complete set? 

As above, I believe so.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Dewar's

Abbot's Choice

VAT 69

White Horse

Haig

Johnnie Walker

Jamie Stuart

Crawford's

King George 1V

Un-branded grey BR

A complete set? 

Whiskey is Irish and spelt with an "e" to differentiate from the Scottish whisky

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Whiskey is Irish and spelt with an "e" to differentiate from the Scottish whisky

Thanks,

I knew that, but it's also American, isn't it?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 6

On 22/07/2024 at 09:07, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

As Flying Fox has stated, it's Tuxford, between Retford and Newark, the erstwhile engineering headquarters of the LD&ECR, whose line crossed the ECML at right angles slightly further south of the bridge the picture is taken from. South of this bridge (which still exists because of its height; lower GNR three-arch overbridges were demolished with electrification) there were extensive sidings and Dukeries Junction - hence the splitting signal; all no more. 

In the distance is the GN station, signal box and level crossing (all obliterated some years ago, the crossing being replaced by an overbridge).

The following pictures show some of Tuxford's environs (all, apart from my shot of the 'box, subject to copyright restrictions). 

605234thJan62Tuxford.jpg.fdfa773a073852c86e7dc1e1cb2ac9f5.jpg

This is how I first remember the place, well over 60 years ago now. The shot was taken from the same bridge, but looking south, revealing the junction, sidings and the LD&ECR bridge in the background. The line which contravened the Trades Description Act (it never got near Lancashire or the East Coast) was taken over by the GC, and there was a station on the bridge - long gone in this shot.

EEType4atTuxford01.jpg.0c3f65e4e61b537f613da3e1f11caa28.jpg

That's the wonderful 'vantage point' bridge, though the junction and sidings have all gone in this early-'70s view.

And, some more from that same period............

BrushType4atTuxford02.jpg.9ba04d43e3a0b376799d51a9d14cad25.jpg

BrushType4atTuxford03.jpg.c542245611df2980b1c4f8e6bf7118e8.jpg

DelticatTuxford01.jpg.45cad04cec857a0f2535c4cd5acf8239.jpg

EEType4atTuxford02.jpg.1cabdc0c5b11d15fedde4e5115c33896.jpg

PeakatTuxford02.jpg.9b6ace46c01846d5ca8d9c49da2e6412.jpg

PeakatTuxford.jpg.97a9a0ffaee4293241be71664efdb0e3.jpg

These were from the period when I was taking pictures here (mine have been published in my softbacks by Irwell).

I also took some shots of the surviving (only just) infrastructure.............

Tuxfordsignalboxsmall.jpg.5caf60d2e47a5bbfa5e6457ad82ffc7a.jpg

Including Tuxford GN 'box; switched out, abandoned but not yet attacked by the local brain-dead!

Regards,

Tony. 

At the end of the 70's the HST's had started to appear, otherwise little has changed from your shots a  few years earlier (click on pic for details).

Funny how things turn out, strongly disliked at first for replacing the Deltics, but forty years later chased and photographed by all and sundry. A bit like those early diesels really!

Tuxford - 254011

John.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

At the end of the 70's the HST's had started to appear, otherwise little has changed from your shots a  few years earlier (click on pic for details).

Funny how things turn out, strongly disliked at first for replacing the Deltics, but forty years later chased and photographed by all and sundry. A bit like those early diesels really!

Tuxford - 254011

John.

Nice. That's in original condition.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I seem to have missed a lot on here over the weekend.

On the matter of adding weight to locos, assuming that the chosen medium is actual fine lead shot, which was once sold in the hobby as "liquid lead" (whether or not it is still sold as such by any supplier), I'm not sure that the very generalised dire warning against use of "any sort" of PVA is quite valid. I have a DJH large-boilered GNR Atlantic that I may well have built as much as eighteen and a half years ago (not 15 as I first said), and much of its boiler is filled with "liquid lead" and "Resin W" type PVA glue, the stuff that is supposed to be weather-resistant / moisture resistant, and the only "open" face of the lead + glue mass was also sealed over with a layer of the kind of resin used to build-up layers of fibre-glass. There's still no sign of anything "naughty" going on.

Had I used cheaper PVA, and left it un-sealed, I imagine I might have had trouble some time ago, and I can well imagine that iron-balls would not appreciate being in company with an initially water-based glue that was also moisture-absorbent over the later passage of time.

I tend to use pieces cut from old lead water pipe instead now, bent or pounded to a suitable shape, leaving far fewer spaces than would exist between hundreds/thousands of small spheres.

Edited by gr.king
correction of construction date
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, gr.king said:

I seem to have missed a lot on here over the weekend.

On the matter of adding weight to locos, assuming that the chosen medium is actual fine lead shot, which was once sold in the hobby as "liquid lead" (whether or not it is still sold as such by any supplier), I'm not sure that the very generalised dire warning against use of "any sort" of PVA is quite valid. I have a DJH large-boilered GNR Atlantic that I may well have built as much as eighteen and a half years ago (not 15 as I first said), and much of its boiler is filled with "liquid lead" and "Resin W" type PVA glue, the stuff that is supposed to be weather-resistant / moisture resistant, and the only "open" face of the lead + glue mass was also sealed over with a layer of the kind of resin used to build-up layers of fibre-glass. There's still no sign of anything "naughty" going on.

Had I used cheaper PVA, and left it un-sealed, I imagine I might have had trouble some time ago, and I can well imagine that iron-balls would not appreciate being in company with an initially water-based glue that was also moisture-absorbent over the later passage of time.

I tend to use pieces cut from old lead water pipe instead now, bent or ponded to a suitable shape, leaving far fewer spaces than would exist between hundreds/thousands of small spheres.

Good evening Graeme,

It could well be that a higher-grade PVA doesn't react in the same way as cheaper stuff. Whether that's because it's more resistant to damp conditions, I don't know. However, from what I've been told (and I'm certainly not a chemist), it's the reaction between the PVA adhesive and the lead itself which causes expansion - to the extent of rupturing seams on soldered-together boilers and tanks. 

Personally, despite your 'happy experience' (so far), I'd advise never to stick lead-based material in confined spaces with PVA. I've seen some of the horrific results! 

I use epoxy, superglue or low-melt solder to secure ballast, whatever it's made of. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 10
  • Agree 5

On 22/07/2024 at 13:56, Tony Wright said:

I must take some more, now that the layout's complete

A frivolous question ... Are you going to weather the platforms? Yours are in such better condition than the prototype! No evidence of patching, and no disintegrating asphalt on the slopes. No chewing gum either, but that's probably too small to model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Tuxford - 254011

John.

Deservedly followed too; hopefully not too sacrilegious to say so on this thread, but I will argue they were the greatest train ever built in the UK.  There were many terrific locomotives, but how many combinations of stock were still highlighted in the timetable 30 years after their introduction?

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice. That's in original condition.

Yes I noticed that; unit numbers below the nose, no exhaust deflector cowls and two buffet cars in the 8-coach formation.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8