Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 46444 said:

The gears are engaged in forward motion, but sometimes the chassis can be moved backwards with the gears not engaging with the worm .

If this is the case then it would suggest that the motor has become loose in the mount. One of the retaining screws being not tight enough/has come undone. In one direction the worm will be ‘pulled’ into the worm wheel, when the worm wheel is being pulled toward the motor. In the other the forces involved will push it away. If the motor is loose enough this will cause disengagement of the gear mesh. 

Bob

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Mark,

If the piece of brass wire mentioned is an 'anchor' for the gearbox, then it should be re-soldered. Unless it's what John Isherwood suggests, a kind of 'pivot'. 

I've come across dozens of kit-built locos where no 'restraint' has been in place to prevent a gearbox clattering up and down under load, often clouting the inside of the body.

I always install an wire stay.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good afternoon Tony,

Thankyou for your reply. Really appreciated. 

Much as I thought with the wire stay. I will solder it to anchor the gearbox. It does not look like a pivot as John suggests. The broken solder joints also would suggest it is probably an anchor for the gearbox.

Thank also to Brian, John and Frank for your informative replies.

I will report back on the repair shortly. The J71 has headed back to East Northamptonshire so will have to await my next visit.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't know John,

Other than at some point during her early preservation life, the boiler from SALMON TROUT was acquired as a spare for FLYING SCOTSMAN. I'll have to check it that was a Dia. 107 type.

Regards,

Tony. 

I believe FS carried an A4 boiler from 1978 to 2005 (250psi from 1999) when it was acquired by the NRM. Was the visual giveaway not the offset washout plugs, rather than parallel ones? 

Regarding the topic of rampant vegetation foiling attempts to photograph today’s railway, as someone who regularly pops over to Stoke Bank to see a railtour pass, I can also vouch it’s getting trickier every year! That said, there are still a couple of precious spots where it’s possible to find a decent vantage point without being on an overbridge.

Here’s ‘Blue Peter’ going well up the bank just beyond Bytham last week. Hardly a T.G. Hepburn / Colin Walker-worthy shot, but the relatively neat embankments and surviving GNR bridge make for a pleasing setting.

Cheers,

Ollie

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

ST SIMON had the original high cab ventilator; later, it was fitted to MERRY HAMPTON's cab. 

Oh dear.

I've just modelled 60066, any thoughts on how to model that?

David 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

Just add sections of metal to the right height.

John Houlden did just that when he built 60066 for his Gamston Bank.

Gamston009.jpg.f341f27791ec5fae43157a401c70b54d.jpg

It's quite distinctive.

A360066.jpg.e980f1214598369c907390f2e5a52827.jpg

Built from a DJH kit, it's now Geoff West's property.

Which period are you modelling 60066?

6006602.jpg.9f916bc8922fa90ec1af382c1bb8b111.jpg

With a double chimney, she carried an A4 boiler.

6006603.jpg.9fce013209d49d3f61325450560392bb.jpg

6006604.jpg.cf1b2a6478f138e2949dcbddf259f590.jpg

It was very often on top-link jobs. 

For one week in August 1960, I saw her every day on the Down morning Talisman. 

Tuxford-6678-60066.jpg.e5ce896d41ae6c509b87e6cb10493d03.jpg

60066LittleBytham18.081962.jpg.47e8505e1211d492afbd4407cedefd76.jpg

One of the useful pictures used during Bytham's building (though it's a pity the station has been demolished).

Though later than 1958, this sort of thing is my modelling motivation. A powerful loco, travelling at high speed on a heavy train.

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on the above prototype images. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1960/61 so it's got a 107 boiler, and double chimney, deflectors not present. In clean  condition. 

Thanks for posting the photos.

Edited by davidw
  • Thanks 1

On 13/07/2024 at 12:17, polybear said:

I'm finding that the presence of the spring representations below each axle makes it more complex (at least for me) and I've yet to achieve any arrangement anywhere near what I'm happy with (I'm using 0.45mm N.S. wire & sleeving, incidentally).

Now after reviewing your photos again (I saved them into an email to myself for future reference) I wonder if you remove, or at least modify the "springs" as necessary in order to make for an easier and cleaner installation?  The photos suggest this may be the case

@polybear I see Tony has answered your question, but this may be of interest.  i have a similar problem to you with regard to springs on the B1 I'm building.  Instead of my usual long springy n/s wire (much like Sir) I have used little coils of phosphor-bronze wire which sit outside the springs.  

spacer.png

Another option if you prefer long and springy would be to put the copperclad pads on the opposite side and have the wire running transversely to bear on the wheel edge.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

@polybear I see Tony has answered your question, but this may be of interest.  i have a similar problem to you with regard to springs on the B1 I'm building.  Instead of my usual long springy n/s wire (much like Sir) I have used little coils of phosphor-bronze wire which sit outside the springs.  

spacer.png

Another option if you prefer long and springy would be to put the copperclad pads on the opposite side and have the wire running transversely to bear on the wheel edge.

Many thanks - that's an ingenious solution.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

By the way, the MORILL article made nine pages, with only 15 pictures. It goes back to the time (pre-digital) of text-heavy articles and fewer pictures. Nine pages, mainly of text, today for an article? Hardly; probably a third of the pages with twice as many pictures. How times change.............

........ and the trouble with pictures is that they don't tell you why or how something was done - merely that it was done.

No wonder modellers seem disinclined to attempt more complex work - they need to know how and why, so that they can apply that knowledge in future.

CJI.

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

11 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

On the topic of pickups and how to avoid them shorting against spring and brake detail, I have mentioned this alternate technique previously but I think it’s worth reminding people again.  I find this approach both straight forward and reliable, and the pickups come nowhere near any spring or brake detail.  It was Mike Sharman who introduced me to this technique, he called them ‘back scratchers’.  
IMG_6265.jpeg.e77a956f1fd2b9a532c8ff062d2040c7.jpegThe pickups are made from thin phosphor bronze strip approx 0.8 mm wide. They are mounted on thin (0.5mm) double sided copper clad pads soldered along the top inside edge of the frame. The PB strip is soldered to the pad and then curved over the top of the frame and down behind the wheel’s flange.  Once painted they blend in, and are hidden by the footplate’s valance and the wheel.  Occasionally they need a small notch filing into the top of the frame for clearance to prevent the top of the pickup interfering with the underside of the footplate, but this unusual.

As someone who has a particular aversion to pickups, these are the only type I have found to be tolerable to install.

Frank

I've tried this method and can attest it works pretty well. The only downsides I can see are that the strips are less accessible for adjustment/cleaning than the springy wire method.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am trying to do photo builds on the forum.

Including a build using resin printed wagons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Fitzjames said:

I've tried this method and can attest it works pretty well. The only downsides I can see are that the strips are less accessible for adjustment/cleaning than the springy wire method.

With the few that I have my experience is that once set up they don’t need subsequent adjustment as they are hard to damage given their location and they are not prone to overheating because they have a relatively large contact surface.  
I’ve never found the need to clean them either. 

Frank

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Some might recall a fortnight ago, I posted shots of this SEF K3...........

SouthEasternFinecastK304onlayout.jpg.204f43b4349c54a5f909a4830b37a45e.jpg

SouthEasternFinecastK307onlayout.jpg.ebbf9bd07776caeac01e7cf3ee2c39d5.jpg

Brought along by good friend, Geoff West, it didn't run particularly well (it does now!).

One thing I couldn't put my finger on was the fact that there was something wrong with loco's 'face'; its smokebox door. 

Now, I always personify the steam-outline locos I build by liking the smokebox door to a 'face'; then, I got it - the smokebox numberplate was attached to the top hingestrap (nothing ever seen on a prototype K3).

So, less than five minutes' work...................

SouthEasternFinecastK308onlayout.jpg.29a2b5200d4475eb6a119163a1b8a567.jpg

SouthEasternFinecastK309onlayout.jpg.3c32204eeebf9b80a9a0ef97caafde53.jpg

Prise it off (the glue holding it wasn't very strong) and re-fit - instantly, a proper K3's 'face'. 

I have no idea who built/painted this model (it was an Ebay purchase by Geoff), but I conclude that prototype photos were not consulted.

Anyway, it looks 'right' right now and runs really well! 

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Such a shame about the profusion of vegetation on the lineside these days.

Unfortunately it's not a new phenomenon.

When I worked for Network Rail, before retirement a few years ago, it was bad then and vegetation cutting (or 'vegetation management' as they used to like to call it) was always an easy target if my elder and better sharp suit-wearing bosses decided to make budget cuts.

The situation down here in the South West is effectively just as bad as it ever was, despite NR evidently having been given some more vegetation cutting monies a few years ago, when they 'blitzed' certain areas.

In virtually every station area now, between the platforms, weeds and other plants seem to be allowed to bloom away in a fashion which would delight Alan Titchmarsh.

I put much of this down to the decision to abandon proper weedkillers several years ago in favour of Liquid Growmore...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Such a shame about the profusion of vegetation on the lineside these days.

Unfortunately it's not a new phenomenon.

When I worked for Network Rail, before retirement a few years ago, it was bad then and vegetation cutting (or 'vegetation management' as they used to like to call it) was always an easy target if my elder and better sharp suit-wearing bosses decided to make budget cuts.

The situation down here in the South West is effectively just as bad as it ever was, despite NR evidently having been given some more vegetation cutting monies a few years ago, when they 'blitzed' certain areas.

In virtually every station area now, between the platforms, weeds and other plants seem to be allowed to bloom away in a fashion which would delight Alan Titchmarsh.

I put much of this down to the decision to abandon proper weedkillers several years ago in favour of Liquid Growmore...

Same in Bath, the Georgian city of weeds!

Still, looking on the bright side, if the council leave it long enough the verdant greenery might hide all the wretched bollards they are putting up!

Edited by Not Jeremy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2