Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

On 14/07/2024 at 10:43, Tony Wright said:

MGNRRU19.jpg.c682e563a2722a3d1498919765892fdd.jpg

MGNRRU22.jpg.369eb1a24c3b3e18c576c0ccd409c9d5.jpg

MGNRRU23.jpg.e3d3ed12d74aaca8716457522d8e01c7.jpg

An ex-GC RF, downgraded to Buffet status as the M&GNR system's only catering car (all my work).

Isn't that ex-GER rather than GCR, possibly built from the D&S kit? Sandra has one under construction for Retford to go in the Liverpool-Parkeston boat train.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Also on the subject of smaller kit makers, how about Three Aitch? Apologies if they have been mentioned already. They did a few wagons, most notably the coke hoppers, of which there are around 25-30 on Retford, now joined by around 16 Hornby ones. I believe the late Roy Jackson was involved in the Three Aitch kits.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Isn't that ex-GER rather than GCR, possibly built from the D&S kit? Sandra has one under construction for Retford to go in the Liverpool-Parkeston boat train.

Agreed, and the number is of a 30E.

14600-30E 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Isn't that ex-GER rather than GCR, possibly built from the D&S kit?

That is correct - I was admiring Sandra's on Saturday.   I'm sure Tony knows that as well.

Sandra's would be the one attached/detached at Sheffield?  I think it was E667E, but I'd have to check that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Of course Robert (I'm losing it!). Yes, ex-GE.

GC Restaurant Cars were very different in appearance...........

3D-printedGCRestaurantCarweathered.jpg.2381c4f7aa8501a26ef677a767e06ae3.jpg

Built/painted by me from a 3D-printed kit (Alan Rose), weathered by Geoff Haynes.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I take it that's straight DC, not DCC? If so, that seems a high price for what's basically an 0-6-0 (I'm not being critical of Kernow here, but that's their market price, and it's reduced from RRP). Which brings me again to the question, what might the model I've shown be worth? 

Yes, that does appear to be straight DC, I found a DCC sound-fitted one at £237!!

I was also surprised by such prices.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Tony I know you don't touch e bay, but to give you an idea.

Having just looked at previously sold Hornby 08s the successful selling price varied between approx £40 and £120. That is for the detailed 08 not the 1960s variant.

I would hazard a guess at a value of around £85.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I'm seeking to sell the items through (reputable) dealers I know (Mo and I don't 'deal' in RTR). That being the case, the most I would think they'd offer (though I haven't asked yet) is £50.00 for the 08. About right? Though the weathering cost £40.00! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I mentioned recently my helping a widow in finding buyers for her late husband's model railway collection. 

It's mainly RTR (with a few kit-built wagons), with some items 'Expertly Weathered' by TMC. Including this..........

TMC-weatheredHornbyO801.jpg.e85be60464631d76b29fafcb8b8dcd44.jpg

Hornby diesel-electric shunter (later classified 08?). 

The actual paperwork from TMC was in the box, dating from a few years ago, with an invoice for about £40.00 (which also included fitting a driver). I assume that's for the service, and not including the cost of the model as well (what's the cost of a new Hornby 08, from four years ago? What's a new one cost now?). 

The reason I'm mentioning this is that it's suggested TMC weathering does not necessarily impact on the price of a model when it's sold-on second-hand.

I have to say, the weathering is consistent and subtle.

I've fitted the extra bits on the buffer beams, removing the tension-locks.

I wonder what this might be worth now? Any ideas, please?

Hello Tony

You seem to have fitted air brake pipes. 350HP/Pilots/Jockos etc were not fitted with air brakes until the late 60s and most were repainted blue at the same time.The compressor was in a box on the running plate between the battery box and the fuel tank on the left hand side, which is absent on your model. 13363 would have had a vacuum pipe only.

Cardiff Cathays MPD 12.8.63

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, that does appear to be straight DC, I found a DCC sound-fitted one at £237!!

I was also surprised by such prices.

Thanks Captain,

With those prices, it's becoming a wealthy person's hobby. 

As mentioned, the 08 is really the equivalent of a steam-outline 0-6-0T (do they command such high value?). 

It doesn't seem that long ago when the £100.00 'ceiling' was breached for an RTR loco. Now it's over £200.00, and heading fast to £300.00 and counting; for DCC, it's well over £300.00 in many cases! Getting near £400.00?  

What I find disappointing is that recent sales of (very good) kit-built locos which Mo and I have dealt with fail to get anywhere near those prices. 

At last, could it mean that building one's own models result in their being cheaper than RTR equivalents? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

You seem to have fitted air brake pipes. 350HP/Pilots/Jockos etc were not fitted with air brakes until the late 60s and most were repainted blue at the same time.The compressor was in a box on the running plate between the battery box and the fuel tank on the left hand side, which is absent on your model. 13363 would have had a vacuum pipe only.

Thanks Clive,

'Never model in ignorance' should be my motto, and that's just what I've done. How stupid of me - I followed the instructions! 

I'll remove them!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I think that often weathering is over done.

The cement hoppers look like generic weathering, as far as I recall, basically cement dust in the nooks and crannies.

Coaching stock is mainly the bits the washers miss. Mine is very basic, track dirt underframes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clive,

'Never model in ignorance' should be my motto, and that's just what I've done. How stupid of me - I followed the instructions! 

I'll remove them!

Regards,

Tony. 

The other possible problem with fitting the buffer beam detail and removing the model couplings from a shunter (and the NEM boxes for attaching them?) is that it makes it rather less useful as a shunter perhaps? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

The other possible problem with fitting the buffer beam detail and removing the model couplings from a shunter (and the NEM boxes for attaching them?) is that it makes it rather less useful as a shunter perhaps? 

Good afternoon Mike,

But only if tension-locks are concerned in the main. Were I using it for shunting, I'd just have a discreet 'goalpost' at buffer height for shunting with Spat and Winkle couplings, chucking the NEM pockets and tension-lock couplings away! 

Regards,

Tony

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Captain,

With those prices, it's becoming a wealthy person's hobby. 

As mentioned, the 08 is really the equivalent of a steam-outline 0-6-0T (do they command such high value?). 

It doesn't seem that long ago when the £100.00 'ceiling' was breached for an RTR loco. Now it's over £200.00, and heading fast to £300.00 and counting; for DCC, it's well over £300.00 in many cases! Getting near £400.00?  

What I find disappointing is that recent sales of (very good) kit-built locos which Mo and I have dealt with fail to get anywhere near those prices. 

At last, could it mean that building one's own models result in their being cheaper than RTR equivalents? 

Regards,

Tony. 

And yet Tony, in this crazy World, the prices for 0 gauge rtr models continue to amaze.

Recent offers from Rails have included Dapol 0 gauge  0-6-0 Jinties and GWR 14xx 0-4-2T for £125.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

You're a braver man than me Clive, I spotted the pipes too but didn't want to incur Sir's wrath.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

Lovely to see some diesel/DMU kits and builds on here, here are few I have done or been working on for a while, while the shed and layout is stored.

Silverfox resin body on a Hornby Railroad Class 40 chassis cut down. A1 etches and other odd bits plus a scratch built front door. Needs a bit of cleaning though.

Bullied70.jpg

Bullied66.jpg

Obviously the Kernow model is superior, and had fantastically detailed bogies, way better than the Lima/Hornby Railroad ones. I am dubious about the level of detail on the roof of the Kernow model, there are very few photos of it from above, but from some shots on shed with roof panels raised I suspect a bit more detail could have been added, still from the cantrails down the Kernow model is far, far superior to mine. I enjoyed building it though.

Bullied74.jpg

Am A1 detailing kit, and old Hornby body and a Bachman class 24/5 chassis. Not a patch on the Dapol model, but it was fun to do and is my build.

Class2918.jpg

Class2945.jpg

Using DC kits cabs (thank you Charlie) plus various etches.

Class 129, with Craftsman sides on a Replica chassis. Needs lowering a bit on the chassis when I unpack it.

Class129_36.jpg

Class129_63.jpg

Class 124 TransPennine, very long running project. DC cabs, Worsley sides, Replica MK1 coach bodies, Highlevel Low Rider power bogie, Comet chassis and parts, MTK bogie frames, Hornby and Dapol spares and Trix cab roofs (mostly cast off in resin), Craftsman detailing kits, A1 and Shawplan etches, etc, a complete mongrel.

CL124TP_24.jpg

CL124TP_80.jpg

CL124TP_137.jpg

CL124TP_166.jpg

Class 120 Craftsman detailing kit used for the bodies, Comet chassis plus Replica Power chassis. Bogies MTK & Hornby sides, Comet detailing parts and resin casts as well. Plus the usual etches, etc. Cab roofs cast from DC kits cabs, but I used the Craftsman cab etches here as they work well with the shape of this cab (a couple of DC cab spares going of someone needs them).

Class120_68.jpg

Class120_94.jpg

Class120_153.jpg

Class120_176.jpg

Class120_202.jpg

It started with a Craftsman detailing kit for a Class 128, before Dapol released their model, and encouragement from those at Leeds MRS.

Class128_06.jpg

Class128_12.jpg

I must go back and detail that up and sort the side doors which are recessed too deeply, and bring it up to the level of detail I am now more confident with.

What is the opinion on Q Kits?

I have been watching an etch for the 10800 diesel prototype on Ebay for a while, but I suspect the grills and detail is not as good as the Helajn release, and I should probably spend time building rolling stock and finishing the projects I have started, rather than add yet another loco. I have probably also flagged to others now, anyway, so please grab it if you are tempted.

It is a pity that there are not etched brass mainline BR diesel kits, some lovely shunters and industrial loco by Judith Edge and a few older kits as seen here, but it would nice to have the option to make your won Class 31, 40 or 47, or any of them really.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, 

The etches are not the best as I have a sheet of them plus a few other parts, I have just managed to get an Alexander models 10800 kit with motor bogies for £80 from ebay, I also have another alexander models 10800 kit which somebody had started and removed the bottom louvres from the bodyside doors but this has no motor bogies, this is going spare should you wish? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jamiel said:

Lovely to see some diesel/DMU kits and builds on here, here are few I have done or been working on for a while, while the shed and layout is stored.

Silverfox resin body on a Hornby Railroad Class 40 chassis cut down. A1 etches and other odd bits plus a scratch built front door. Needs a bit of cleaning though.

Bullied70.jpg

Bullied66.jpg

Obviously the Kernow model is superior, and had fantastically detailed bogies, way better than the Lima/Hornby Railroad ones. I am dubious about the level of detail on the roof of the Kernow model, there are very few photos of it from above, but from some shots on shed with roof panels raised I suspect a bit more detail could have been added, still from the cantrails down the Kernow model is far, far superior to mine. I enjoyed building it though.

Bullied74.jpg

Am A1 detailing kit, and old Hornby body and a Bachman class 24/5 chassis. Not a patch on the Dapol model, but it was fun to do and is my build.

Class2918.jpg

Class2945.jpg

Using DC kits cabs (thank you Charlie) plus various etches.

Class 129, with Craftsman sides on a Replica chassis. Needs lowering a bit on the chassis when I unpack it.

Class129_36.jpg

Class129_63.jpg

Class 124 TransPennine, very long running project. DC cabs, Worsley sides, Replica MK1 coach bodies, Highlevel Low Rider power bogie, Comet chassis and parts, MTK bogie frames, Hornby and Dapol spares and Trix cab roofs (mostly cast off in resin), Craftsman detailing kits, A1 and Shawplan etches, etc, a complete mongrel.

CL124TP_24.jpg

CL124TP_80.jpg

CL124TP_137.jpg

CL124TP_166.jpg

Class 120 Craftsman detailing kit used for the bodies, Comet chassis plus Replica Power chassis. Bogies MTK & Hornby sides, Comet detailing parts and resin casts as well. Plus the usual etches, etc. Cab roofs cast from DC kits cabs, but I used the Craftsman cab etches here as they work well with the shape of this cab (a couple of DC cab spares going of someone needs them).

Class120_68.jpg

Class120_94.jpg

Class120_153.jpg

Class120_176.jpg

Class120_202.jpg

It started with a Craftsman detailing kit for a Class 128, before Dapol released their model, and encouragement from those at Leeds MRS.

Class128_06.jpg

Class128_12.jpg

I must go back and detail that up and sort the side doors which are recessed too deeply, and bring it up to the level of detail I am now more confident with.

What is the opinion on Q Kits?

I have been watching an etch for the 10800 diesel prototype on Ebay for a while, but I suspect the grills and detail is not as good as the Helajn release, and I should probably spend time building rolling stock and finishing the projects I have started, rather than add yet another loco. I have probably also flagged to others now, anyway, so please grab it if you are tempted.

It is a pity that there are not etched brass mainline BR diesel kits, some lovely shunters and industrial loco by Judith Edge and a few older kits as seen here, but it would nice to have the option to make your won Class 31, 40 or 47, or any of them really.

Jamie

Great stuff Jamie,

Thanks for showing us.

You (the generic 'you') can keep all the (brilliant) RTR equivalents, but I know which is the more-interesting; all the time - actual modelling!

I commend you for your efforts.

Well done.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1