Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I can't recall if this BTH Type 1 was built from an A1 kit or a Dave Alexander one (or neither). Rob Kinsey (the builder/painter) will no doubt tell me............

BTHType1.jpg.2c405c7baa967778bf104e908c8535a8.jpg

Running on a ballast train on Stoke Summit.

Another diesel produced from etched sides over a modified RTR donor was..............

lion.jpg.3b20c08d27069f32a25dfec879fce6c4.jpg

LION, seen here awkwardly photographed with a (short) telephoto lens during Bytham's early days (a technique not to be repeated).

Were these Craftsman or A1 etches/castings? Either way, the donor (I believe) was a Lima Brush Type 4. 

This loco is now re-gauged to EM to run on Retford. 

The bth type 1 could be a dave alexander one, I believe mtk and techcad produced kits as well, the lion is likely to be a craftsman Models conversion kit. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Richard_A said:

The bth type 1 could be a dave alexander one, I believe mtk and techcad produced kits as well, the lion is likely to be a craftsman Models conversion kit. 

Thanks Richard,

Rob Kinsey had emailed me to confirm that the BTH was built from A Dave Alexander kit. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

One rather obscure coach kit manufacturer was ROCOM...........

ROCOMGresleyTO.jpg.5bb95a3955a52a28ec1f78d84c3d823e.jpg

As far as I'm aware, the firm only offered two etched brass kits; the one above - a 'short', GE-section TO - and a 'short' brake third. 

Has anyone else built these kits?

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Although certainly not obscure, Comet loco kits are not numerous. 

I've built three - the Ivatt 'Mickey Mouse' 2-6-0 (for which I have no digital images), the Caprotti Black Five (seen some pages back) and.......

34finishedblue.jpg.836b98601fc34dda48c36065beecef83.jpg

The Royal Scot, which, if memory serves was easy to build. 

The only thing I changed were the front buffers - the ones supplied were way too puny.

36rear34best.jpg.313bc478f4762b97dad505927a2ed20a.jpg

After this, it went off to Ian Rathbone for painting, and, as SHERWOOD FORESTER, ran on Charwelton. It became the property of a friend.

Though not a complete kit, I also built/painted/weathered the Hornby/Comet 8F combination........

48770onDownfreight02.jpg.5a78099118295866a7054798735e3fd4.jpg

48770onDownfreight03.jpg.f1bbf3c5a38e271748e5702b04eb0f47.jpg

As good as any way of obtaining an 8F, I'd say. 

How many Comet loco frames I've built, I've lost count! They're excellent in my view.

Comet have cancelled the 8f "kit" apparently they can't get hold of the locomotive bodies anymore. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

the Ivatt 'Mickey Mouse' 2-6-0 (for which I have no digital images)

Not the greatest picture, but the late Graham Varley built one which we ran on Thurston.

spacer.png

It was a lovely thing (though we used to wind him up if anyone asked about it by loudly telling them it was a detailed Triang one).    I believe he sold it on and have no idea where it might be now.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention this on WW but, I was at Lincoln T&T fair today and one of the traders had 21 Ian Kirk LNER teak coaches all made up and some needing a bit of tlc but the teak finishing was very good. He also had a fair number of Kit built LNE loco's and various unmade loco kits. Pm me if any of this is of interest.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony

A slight correction - the Bill Bedford GN Dia 277 BT is 3D printed in resin not cast. I have the similar Dia 129 luggage lavatory composite.

Andrew

Good morning Andrew,

If the Mousa carriages are 3D-printed, why was it necessary for me to remove (what looks like casting) flash from around the window reveals? 

MousaModelscarriages01.jpg.11be9fab51c1922377084f7d8adfdda3.jpg

MousaModelscarriages02.jpg.b9297a930997426c50350326a03e7c13.jpg

I've not noticed this necessity on 3D-prints in the past. Yes, some cleaning up, but not removal of flash.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

I mentioned recently my helping a widow in finding buyers for her late husband's model railway collection. 

It's mainly RTR (with a few kit-built wagons), with some items 'Expertly Weathered' by TMC. Including this..........

TMC-weatheredHornbyO801.jpg.e85be60464631d76b29fafcb8b8dcd44.jpg

Hornby diesel-electric shunter (later classified 08?). 

The actual paperwork from TMC was in the box, dating from a few years ago, with an invoice for about £40.00 (which also included fitting a driver). I assume that's for the service, and not including the cost of the model as well (what's the cost of a new Hornby 08, from four years ago? What's a new one cost now?). 

The reason I'm mentioning this is that it's suggested TMC weathering does not necessarily impact on the price of a model when it's sold-on second-hand.

I have to say, the weathering is consistent and subtle.

I've fitted the extra bits on the buffer beams, removing the tension-locks.

I wonder what this might be worth now? Any ideas, please?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I mentioned recently my helping a widow in finding buyers for her late husband's model railway collection. 

It's mainly RTR (with a few kit-built wagons), with some items 'Expertly Weathered' by TMC. Including this..........

TMC-weatheredHornbyO801.jpg.e85be60464631d76b29fafcb8b8dcd44.jpg

Hornby diesel-electric shunter (later classified 08?). 

The actual paperwork from TMC was in the box, dating from a few years ago, with an invoice for about £40.00 (which also included fitting a driver). I assume that's for the service, and not including the cost of the model as well (what's the cost of a new Hornby 08, from four years ago? What's a new one cost now?). 

The reason I'm mentioning this is that it's suggested TMC weathering does not necessarily impact on the price of a model when it's sold-on second-hand.

I have to say, the weathering is consistent and subtle.

I've fitted the extra bits on the buffer beams, removing the tension-locks.

I wonder what this might be worth now? Any ideas, please?

Good morning, Tony.

A near equivalent may be this Hornby 08 in BR black livery, advertised by Kernow Models just one penny shy of £170 - https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/74197/R30121-WSL-Hornby-Class-08-0-6-0-Diesel-Shunter-number-13079

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Ah now, you see, it's been 'expertly weathered' by a recognised business, with certificate to match, so retains its value. If the same model had been weathered by the owner himself, to no matter what standard of excellence, it would be heavily devalued. It's the name that matters, not the degree of craftsmanship. 

Forgive my cynicism.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Good morning, Tony.

A near equivalent may be this Hornby 08 in BR black livery, advertised by Kernow Models just one penny shy of £170 - https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/74197/R30121-WSL-Hornby-Class-08-0-6-0-Diesel-Shunter-number-13079

Thanks Captain,

I take it that's straight DC, not DCC? If so, that seems a high price for what's basically an 0-6-0 (I'm not being critical of Kernow here, but that's their market price, and it's reduced from RRP). Which brings me again to the question, what might the model I've shown be worth? 

No wonder the current RTR market prices are perceived as being beyond the pocket of many 'modellers'. In my view, it doesn't bode well for the future of the hobby; certainly not for younger modellers and those with more-limited means. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah now, you see, it's been 'expertly weathered' by a recognised business, with certificate to match, so retains its value. If the same model had been weathered by the owner himself, to no matter what standard of excellence, it would be heavily devalued. It's the name that matters, not the degree of craftsmanship. 

Forgive my cynicism.

Good afternoon Stephen,

There's no need to forgive cynicism - it's to be applauded on many occasions.

I take your point, and the model in question has the 'paperwork'. That said, what if it were a 'limited edition', or a model (with that number) only produced for a short time? Might it then be collectable? Meaning that by weathering it (however well), then the opposite of value retention will apply. 

I have to say that some 'factory-applied' weathering (not TMC's) seems to be no more than someone squirting dirty thinners at the underside of a model, often leaving a 'shadow' where the motion has masked the wheels. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for those Tony,

Yes, MARC Models - I should have remembered.

For my 60th birthday (was it that long ago?), a friend gave me this.......................

BZ.jpg.a9c68c4620ed32f5fb9d20d29a42ce39.jpg

BZ; built by Mike Radford from one of his own kits. I think it's a lovely thing.

Geoff Haynes built/painted this complete Silver Jubilee set from MARC Models kits................

09A42509onSilverJubileeHornby.jpg.40a956295d5f60f8b06103c124214950.jpg

For a customer, altering the Hornby A4 to suit as well.  

MarcModelsSilverJubileecateringtriplet.jpg.697010b1c62cee4b073e8b6d09bc9eb0.jpg

The most impressive part of the set is the dining triplet. 

After the War, the SJ rake never ran as a whole again, though the catering triplet was used in a Newcastle express for over a decade........

Trains25MarcModelsSilverJubileetripletdiner02.jpg.0b8eb7215607c163920d98d906562443.jpg

John Houlden built/painted this Marc Models set to run on his Gamston Bank, altering it to suit its post-War condition. 

In fairness, the etch brass product probably makes up better...........

Mailcoachex-SilverJubileetriplet.jpg.7743e45511955dbd21f4be82da037cf6.jpg

Than my own ex-Silver Jubilee triplet diner, built from Mailcoach (clear plastic parts), MJT and Comet components.

I still have the twin 1st artic from the Silver Jubilee to build, from MARC Models, which Mike kindly gave me. I must get on with it.

Regards,

Tony. 

There is a Silver Jubilee dining triplet on Retford, which I think is from the Rupert Brown range. It's certainly metal.

• Thanks 1

Tony I know you don't touch e bay, but to give you an idea.

Having just looked at previously sold Hornby 08s the successful selling price varied between approx £40 and £120. That is for the detailed 08 not the 1960s variant.

I would hazard a guess at a value of around £85.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2