Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

17 hours ago, MarkC said:

The Omega Models MR 4-4-0

It's been started by a previous owner, but looks quite good. A mixture of etched brass, turned brass & whitemetal fittings and plastic tender axleboxes, with a nice instruction book.

Mark20240710_155300.jpg.c5f8e1a9cf019014b5f3b6ec9a02a5f4.jpg20240710_155323.jpg.2d1dbd292966ed35e370cc9ef100ee7f.jpg20240710_155429.jpg.06445d08cb19934a52f1d8cdb52f9f49.jpg

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, polybear said:

Can I ask the combined wisdom of WW how easy (or otherwise....) the motion (valve gear) on a Comet B17 chassis kit is to erect please?  Once I've completed the Jinty Chassis (hopefully successfully) I'm working on at the moment I'd like to progress to something with outside valve gear as the next logical progression; as I already have a Comet B17 frames & motion set, Romford wheels and Hornby bodyshell in The Great Kit Mountain then this seems like a possible candidate if suitable.

Many thanks,

Brian

The first outside cylinder chassis I had a crack at used Comet motion (A3 so similar to a B17). Fiddly but goes together well. I'm not a fan of the etched valve guide representations preferring something a little more 3D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, robertcwp said:

On the topic of the footbridge and views from it, here are a couple of recent additions to my original image collection:

53837810448_9dbc786ebf_b.jpg60053_Retford_25-8-55 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

53837906459_8a57478b46_b.jpg60114_Retford_25-8-55 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And one from north of the footbridge:

53837554221_d24fd3ae65_b.jpg90034_Retford_25-8-55 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Thanks Robert, but when you said footbridge and views from it, for a fleeting moment I expected detailed views of the footbridge. I have thing about bridges!  😄 Never mind, great photos.

I am having a bad day, as I chose the wrong photo of the F3 by mistake. Hopefully I will get it right this time! I sold the F4 on as I already had a better example.

William

LNER 7144 F4 & 8096 F3 models.jpg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

But has that distinction always been made?

Indeed it has. Its original name was "The Pendon Museum of Miniature Landscape and Transport" (formally, The Pendon Museum Trust Ltd).

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, ecgtheow said:

For some reason I don't know the panel for submitting replies didn't appear the first time so here we go again.

To encourage mark to get on & build this kit here is a photo of one built but in later MR livery. I don't know who built if as I bought it at auction a long time ago probably for less than the kit would now go for.

To kill 32 birds with one stone here are also 2 photos of models by small suppliers: an F3 probably from a Coopercraft kit & the MR 4-4-0 Beatrice built beautifully  by Mike Edge but I don't know from which kit or maybe it's scratch built. Other small suppliers include Lochgorm, whose kits of HR models I have searched for for years without success & Eastfield Models, who seems have offered several kits including a J37, which I have had built by an expert as I confine my efforts  to wagons & buildings as well as modifying RTR.

William

As far as I can recall Eastfield Models didn’t do full loco kits.  Rather they did etched brass chassis kits for the NB Models N15 and J37 and the Gem J36 and J83.  These, and other associated parts and rolling stock kits,  seem to be still currently available from NBR 4mm Developments, at:

https://www.nbr4mm.co.uk/index.php

For your J37, it would presumably have been either a NB Models kit, possibly with an Eastfield Models chassis kit, or a DMR Products etched brass kit.  The latter, along with a few other kits by the same manufacturer are listed at Precision Phoenix, here:

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/4e-brass-kits

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, polybear said:

Can I ask the combined wisdom of WW how easy (or otherwise....) the motion (valve gear) on a Comet B17 chassis kit is to erect please?  Once I've completed the Jinty Chassis (hopefully successfully) I'm working on at the moment I'd like to progress to something with outside valve gear as the next logical progression; as I already have a Comet B17 frames & motion set, Romford wheels and Hornby bodyshell in The Great Kit Mountain then this seems like a possible candidate if suitable.

Many thanks,

Brian

Just thinking about my own progression, but is there an outside cylinder but inside valve gear loco you could

have a go at as an intermediate step? Perhaps it helps modelling the GWR but I'd got a few outside cylinder

jobs running before I tackled my first set of valve gear. Just a thought.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ecgtheow said:

For some reason I don't know the panel for submitting replies didn't appear the first time so here we go again.

To encourage mark to get on & build this kit here is a photo of one built but in later MR livery. I don't know who built if as I bought it at auction a long time ago probably for less than the kit would now go for.

To kill 32 birds with one stone here are also 2 photos of models by small suppliers: an F3 probably from a Coopercraft kit & the MR 4-4-0 Beatrice built beautifully  by Mike Edge but I don't know from which kit or maybe it's scratch built. Other small suppliers include Lochgorm, whose kits of HR models I have searched for for years without success & Eastfield Models, who seems have offered several kits including a J37, which I have had built by an expert as I confine my efforts  to wagons & buildings as well as modifying RTR.

William

IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

LNER 7175 F4 & 4247 J52 models.jpg

Beatrice was built from scratch although I have built one from the Omega kit, no digital photos of that one.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

18 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I have to agree with Mark and John B about the La Mesa layout as being "up there" with Retford; I've had the pleasure of visiting it twice and it really is remarkable in scale and fidelity to the prototype. I've also visited Tehachapi itself a couple of times which helps with getting a feel for the area the layout depicts:

spacer.png

See:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/178084-a-visit-to-tehachapi-in-2002/#comment-5115963

Railway / Railroad summits are always interesting.

I've been to Cajon (Driving LA to Las Vegas) back in 1989, and Tehachapi with the wife & son back in 2000 touring California. We stayed in a lineside motel in Tehachapi town (a few miles from the loop) which was at the actual summit where some trains stopped to remove mid train helper locomotives. As per a "Trains" magazine article we asked for a (cheaper !!) room "With a railroad view" some 30 yards from the tracks. It was a quite noisy night, with me sat by the bedroom window not wanting to miss the action, the wife was NOT amused !!

I've yet to scan my photos.

Over here I visited Ais Gill last year, not very interesting now the loops & box went (many years ago). At least the weather was nice.

20230816_135445.jpg.f9fcf8333cee6a9339f860e0e2a7dc5c.jpg

20230816_140026.jpg.03258c6a1a0f9e6a2a9de5298fc6922a.jpg

20230816_140032.jpg.254a468e7cb1fa81c83d74bdf6eea3c8.jpg

Brit15

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ecgtheow said:

William

IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

LNER 7175 F4 & 4247 J52 models.jpg

Very nice. I do like a slim boilered Johnson 4-4-0.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, polybear said:

Many thanks,

Brian

Good evening Brian,

When you and Mr Pup arrange your next visit, bring the B17 bits over with you and I'll do a one-to-one tutorial to get you started (Alan can operate the railway while we're in the workshop).

Whatever happens, at some point, components will solder solid! Even after putting together hundreds of sets of valve gear, I still cock-up!

See you soon.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hardly in the 'obscure' loco kit category..............

SoutheEasternFinecastA46000601.jpg.280e19220786328821331612011e3e7f.jpg

I'm just getting the frames together for (yet another) South Eastern Finecast A4.

SoutheEasternFinecastA46000602.jpg.8cb76df1f8cf0f02f24d2f251d2af294.jpg

This morning, between 5 and 7, I got this far (the bogie wheels are there for test purposes, to be replaced in time with finer ones). This is a late-made Portescap, and, amazingly, it's really quiet. 

The original intention was to build this in EM, on commission (don't worry Mike, I still have the old Portescap you gave me). I'll still complete the commission (I've started the Comet frames for an EM A4, having acquired all the necessary wheels/axles), but I'll use a Hornby body for consistency.  

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Just in for review..................

HornbysteamFlyingScotsmanR3991SS01.jpg.2ce04aa12be872f72feca1cbf6b1186d.jpg

Hornby's latest 'steaming' FLYING SCOTSMAN in OO.

Oddly (or so it seems to me), Hornby has chosen a very tight time period for the model - that is, in BR green but still retaining RH-drive. 

I have to say, first impressions are very good! 

It won't run on DC, so it'll be off to my old chum Great Northern's Peterborough North for a video...........

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

I have been amazed at the number of 'obscure' / sometimes defunct kit makers that have appeared on here, but I am pleased to be able to offer a couple more kits and manufacturers - all Southern Railwya I'm afraid:

SJPP608001702180608.jpg.9c271a8187ee070823d066a6214607ec.jpg

This is an Ace Products ex-LB&SCR Marsh J2,  whilst the two that follow are both from Q Kits:

SJPP716000102180716.jpg.2037d36421beb7bce5cadbc899f66100.jpg

An ex-LC&DR Kirtley T class above, followed by a further ex-LC&DR Kirtley model of an R1 below:

SJPP627002202180627.jpg.704d550978b669c19ed72d4d259f8386.jpg

Finally an E.B. Models (Exclusively Brighton) ex-LB&SCR Billinton E3:

SJPP609000302200609.jpg.2774165d0a23f9cf366a965c7b64266d.jpg

All of these were built, painted & lined for me by Chris Phillips.

Tony

Thanks for those Tony,

Q kits? Weren't they made by Mike Cole of Leeds (unless, as usual, I'm muddled up)?

I was given a couple of Q diesels, with a request to write an article. After looking at them (if I recall correctly, one was in resin and the other cast metal), I politely said 'no'. 

Mike Cole was an early visionary with regard to diesel-outline modelling - his Sundown and Sprawling (if I recall the name correctly) was way ahead of its time. 

Others from Leeds will be able to tell chapter and verse and, if necessary, correct my ramblings.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Indeed it has. Its original name was "The Pendon Museum of Miniature Landscape and Transport" (formally, The Pendon Museum Trust Ltd).

Thanks John,

When I first read about Pendon, in the pages of the late-lamented Model Railway News, it was described as a 'Layout for Connoisseurs'. 

I gazed in awe at the pages, even though there was an apology for the 'obvious parallax' in one of the picture captions. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Q kits were produced by Mike Cole, originally resin moulded diesel locos at a time when very few were available from anywhere. He later became allergic to the resin and switched to white metal. I have some his earlier ones (including what I believe is the very first one, a Peak) but I only ever built one white metal kit, a USA tank. I think the first diesel bodies were simply moulded from Mike’s own scratch built locos which ran on Sundown and Sprawling - dead straight end to end layout 64ft long if anyone remembers it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4