Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Appreciate it would be a massive undertaking (not as massive as Peco's with Railway Modeller!)  but it would be so useful if BRM could complete their digital archive so that we could access the goldmine of information from 'the classic years'. How about it @Phil Parker?

Nothing to do with me. @SteveCole is more likely your man. I doubt it's going to happen in a hurry though, as the early issues will need to be scanned in (it's unlikely there will be a usable digital file) and then each page cleaned up before use. That's a huge amount of work.

Would it sell? I'm going to say no. The hobby has changed a lot since those early days, almost to be unrecognisable. I doubt that many of the articles I wrote for MORILL would be relevant to modellers now, and they were the same sort of era. A very small number of people might like to casually look through those early years, but enough to cover the cost? Personally, I doubt it very much.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Nothing to do with me. @SteveCole is more likely your man. I doubt it's going to happen in a hurry though, as the early issues will need to be scanned in (it's unlikely there will be a usable digital file) and then each page cleaned up before use. That's a huge amount of work.

Would it sell? I'm going to say no. The hobby has changed a lot since those early days, almost to be unrecognisable. I doubt that many of the articles I wrote for MORILL would be relevant to modellers now, and they were the same sort of era. A very small number of people might like to casually look through those early years, but enough to cover the cost? Personally, I doubt it very much.

I'm not so sure. I'm a Gold member on here primarily because of access to this forum (which I know I could get for 'free') but the 'carrot' for my RM subscription is the current magazine plus their archive. There is I think a larger number than you might imagine would be interested in a complete BRM digital archive for the quality of the content, the history of the hobby and the skills of previous generations. Not to mention older reviews and just pure nostalgia. Whether it would attract new subscribers or more income from us already paying for Gold I dont know but I definitely use the RM archive on a regular basis, bought the BRM digital versions that are available (back to 2011 I think) through PocketMags  just weeks before Andy launched BRM Gold (!) and would relish a complete BRM archive so that I could dispose of the paper versions that I dont really have the room for. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I'm not so sure. I'm a Gold member on here primarily because of access to this forum (which I know I could get for 'free') but the 'carrot' for my RM subscription is the current magazine plus their archive. There is I think a larger number than you might imagine would be interested in a complete BRM digital archive for the quality of the content, the history of the hobby and the skills of previous generations. Not to mention older reviews and just pure nostalgia. Whether it would attract new subscribers or more income from us already paying for Gold I dont know but I definitely use the RM archive on a regular basis, bought the BRM digital versions that are available (back to 2011 I think) through PocketMags  just weeks before Andy launched BRM Gold (!) and would relish a complete BRM archive so that I could dispose of the paper versions that I dont really have the room for. 

I absolutely treasure the RM digital archive. There are still inspirational layouts I remember first reading about back in the 80's and 90's that I don't have physical copies of anymore, and it's great to be able to do that with the archive. I'd be interested in the earlier BRM archive too, as there are some layout articles I know that I would love to re-read. The same with the earlier Continental Modeller's as well. Whilst most of us have the space to keep the entire back-run of a magazine, the digital copies don't use any physical space, although I am acutely aware they do use digital storage space in the "cloud" which may be at a cost premium.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2024 at 18:22, Tony Wright said:

Hornby's latest wagon release in its Railroad range, an OAA...........

R60142HornbyRailroadOAA01.jpg.9820e37aa0476d59bec40c2638f00ef0.jpg

R60142HornbyRailroadOAA02.jpg.6ace914022dc21d2fab879e1f0f17b17.jpg

Does anyone know anything about these? 

The axles are pivoted, and seem to work (obviously designed for minimum Setrack), though has there ever been a more gross coupling?

Comments appreciated, please.

May be a gross looking coupling but works on tight curves which the thin stick like one’s don’t. Replacing t/ls on my stock always seems to be on the pending pile but not at the top of it despite having the Spratt and Winkle replacements in stock waiting to be made up.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I prefer to use epoxy (the 5 minute type normally) in preference to 'Superglue' (although I do use the latter), so if I only have a few minutes for a quick modelling task, I find it useful to epoxy some item or component in place (such as a lead weight in an otherwise light piece of rolling stock). This kind of task doesn't take more than a few minutes and I can then go off and do something else, whilst the glue goes off.

I am the kind of person who is often uncomfortable with having too many projects on the go at the same time. I like to 'knuckle down' and get each individual project finished, before proceeding to the next one but if I want a 'quickie' project, I usually find that a Parkside wagon kit or similar is sufficient...

Not all cyanoacrylates are created equal.  rubber toughened and even flexible types have been made.  Methyl Cyanoacrylate is a different animal from the far more common Ethyl Cyanoacrylate, as it is extremely strong when bonding metal-metal, but is much worse at everything else. 

One of the benefits to living in the states is that I can drive to my local hobby shop and get Bob Smith Industries IC-2000, which is a fabulously strong rubber toughened ethyl superglue with carbon black.  It is a jack of all traits and a master of many, being better than Araldite just about everywhere, shock resistant, and when combined with Acetone and Butyl Acetate (Tamiya extra thin cement), is my preferred way of bonding plastics, as its performance is just wonderful.

In the UK (and somewhat still in America), is Permabond, who will sell rubber toughened, flexible (743ht is quite good, search for videos of its testing), Ethyl, and Methyl superglues...https://www.permabond.co.uk/shop?Adhesives+by+type=Cyanoacrylate%20Adhesives

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

A couple of questions, if I may?

The following items came from the estate of a deceased modeller, including...........UltrascaleLNER6ft8inPacificandtenderwheelsetEM.jpg.b320f86a414066ec7def82ced8249478.jpg

A complete Ultrascale wheelset in EM for an A1 (Gresley and Peppercorn), A3 and A4 (the drivers might do for a Raven A2, but not the carrying/tender wheels). 

I considered their use for a putative A4 I've been asked to build in EM, but my uselessness in getting friction-fit drivers to work properly meant the consideration was but for a mere second! 

My question is, what are these worth? They're obviously second-hand, but the packet is unopened. Does anyone know the current price for such a set, please? Whatever that is, I'll sell them at half price (the deceased modeller died from cancer, so all proceeds will go to CRUK). 

The second question is...........

Finneystreamlinednon-corridortender.jpg.0147781f3f4ea3038bc99512da9a232e.jpg

What is this Finney LNER streamlined non-corridor tender worth? Take a look at the invoice price, from 1998 - £40.50! 

I did consider using this behind the EM A4 commission, but, having examined the whole contents (including an EM wheelset) and read the instructions, I thought 'no'. This is not a criticism of the kit, and were I building this for myself, I'd probably use it (it will accommodate OO wheels), because time would not be a factor; the price of my time, that is. I reckon it would take me at least twice as long to build this as the one I'm substituting - one from DJH for the same tender type. Twice the price to build, so a non-starter. 

How much have prices risen in the last 26 years? What's £40.50 in today's money? Anyone help, please (I taught art, not hard sums!)? 

Once I know, I'll suggest a price. It's from the same source, so all proceeds will go to CRUK. 

I know several EM modellers dip into this thread, so here's hoping............

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A couple of questions, if I may?

The following items came from the estate of a deceased modeller, including...........UltrascaleLNER6ft8inPacificandtenderwheelsetEM.jpg.b320f86a414066ec7def82ced8249478.jpg

A complete Ultrascale wheelset in EM for an A1 (Gresley and Peppercorn), A3 and A4 (the drivers might do for a Raven A2, but not the carrying/tender wheels). 

I considered their use for a putative A4 I've been asked to build in EM, but my uselessness in getting friction-fit drivers to work properly meant the consideration was but for a mere second! 

My question is, what are these worth? They're obviously second-hand, but the packet is unopened. Does anyone know the current price for such a set, please? Whatever that is, I'll sell them at half price (the deceased modeller died from cancer, so all proceeds will go to CRUK). 

The second question is...........

Finneystreamlinednon-corridortender.jpg.0147781f3f4ea3038bc99512da9a232e.jpg

What is this Finney LNER streamlined non-corridor tender worth? Take a look at the invoice price, from 1998 - £40.50! 

I did consider using this behind the EM A4 commission, but, having examined the whole contents (including an EM wheelset) and read the instructions, I thought 'no'. This is not a criticism of the kit, and were I building this for myself, I'd probably use it (it will accommodate OO wheels), because time would not be a factor; the price of my time, that is. I reckon it would take me at least twice as long to build this as the one I'm substituting - one from DJH for the same tender type. Twice the price to build, so a non-starter. 

How much have prices risen in the last 26 years? What's £40.50 in today's money? Anyone help, please (I taught art, not hard sums!)? 

Once I know, I'll suggest a price. It's from the same source, so all proceeds will go to CRUK. 

I know several EM modellers dip into this thread, so here's hoping............

Thanks in anticipation. 

Hi Tony,

£116.90 + post at todays prices for the wheels - but a long lead time.

£75 + post for the tender at current prices.

I hope that helps?

Richard

Edited by Bucoops
Updated to current wheel prices
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Hi Tony,

£116.90 + post at todays prices for the wheels - but a long lead time.

£75 + post for the tender at current prices.

I hope that helps?

Richard

It does Richard, many thanks. 

Thus, say £60.00 for the wheelset (to include postage) and £50.00 for the tender (to include postage).

Anyone interested, please PM me.

Thanks in anticipation. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It does Richard, many thanks. 

Thus, say £60.00 for the wheelset (to include postage) and £50.00 for the tender (to include postage).

Anyone interested, please PM me.

Thanks in anticipation. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, you should sell the wheels pretty quickly, the lead time with Ultrascale is about 10 months at the moment and that's a more than fair price. Have you thought of advertising on the RMWeb 'For Sale' section for Gold members as well?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2024 at 05:24, 1471SirFrederickBanbury said:

Not all cyanoacrylates are created equal.  rubber toughened and even flexible types have been made.  Methyl Cyanoacrylate is a different animal from the far more common Ethyl Cyanoacrylate, as it is extremely strong when bonding metal-metal, but is much worse at everything else. 

One of the benefits to living in the states is that I can drive to my local hobby shop and get Bob Smith Industries IC-2000, which is a fabulously strong rubber toughened ethyl superglue with carbon black.  It is a jack of all traits and a master of many, being better than Araldite just about everywhere, shock resistant, and when combined with Acetone and Butyl Acetate (Tamiya extra thin cement), is my preferred way of bonding plastics, as its performance is just wonderful.

In the UK (and somewhat still in America), is Permabond, who will sell rubber toughened, flexible (743ht is quite good, search for videos of its testing), Ethyl, and Methyl superglues...https://www.permabond.co.uk/shop?Adhesives+by+type=Cyanoacrylate%20Adhesives

I've not tried any of their flexible ones but I am a big fan of Permabond 910 - it's very good for things like attaching white metal domed ends to aluminium extruded roofs, but is also good for brass to ABS.

Just one thing - where it says keep in the fridge - do it, it's an expensive mistake not to!

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

BM0-6-025.jpg.13213aff82637c52d07b233d1556a8e8.jpg

I've probably asked this question before, but what are others' experiences of outside-cranks? Is it just me who struggles with them?

That B&M 0-6-0ST is an absolute delight. I wonder if the kit is still available?

As regards outside cranks, I have converted a few Bachmann 08 diesel shunters to P4, using Ultrascale 'drop in' wheelsets. These are well engineered wheels and the quartering is usually spot-on, but the 'grip' on the axles can sometimes be less than that you might find on the Alan Gibson equivalent. I have, on occasions, resorted to drilling and pinning Ultrascale wheels to their axles and that may (I can't actually remember!!) have included some outside crank ones. Unfortunately the self-quartering facility found on Markits wheels isn't available for P4 modellers...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Tony, you should sell the wheels pretty quickly, the lead time with Ultrascale is about 10 months at the moment and that's a more than fair price. Have you thought of advertising on the RMWeb 'For Sale' section for Gold members as well?

Thanks Captain,

I haven't but it's worth a try. I'm not a Gold member, however. 

I should point out that although the wheelsets are for EM, all that's needed for OO is to shorten the axles accordingly. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

That B&M 0-6-0ST is an absolute delight. I wonder if the kit is still available?

As regards outside cranks, I have converted a few Bachmann 08 diesel shunters to P4, using Ultrascale 'drop in' wheelsets. These are well engineered wheels and the quartering is usually spot-on, but the 'grip' on the axles can sometimes be less than that you might find on the Alan Gibson equivalent. I have, on occasions, resorted to drilling and pinning Ultrascale wheels to their axles and that may (I can't actually remember!!) have included some outside crank ones. Unfortunately the self-quartering facility found on Markits wheels isn't available for P4 modellers...

Thanks Captain,

With regard to the Redcraft B&M 0-6-0ST kit, I very much doubt it. Rob Kinsey told me it took him ages to track one down, and that was a few years ago.

Does anyone know if any other kits were made in the range? Were they South Wales-based? Has anyone else made one? 

I must say, the provision of mere dimples in the frames for the bearings' positioning is 'interesting'. I couldn't have drilled them accurately without a decent pillar drill. 

Though Markits wheels are probably unsuitable for P4, Mark Arscott sells P4 axles. Apparently, or so I'm told, several P4 modellers use Markits wheels/axles to accurately set up their frames (the great benefit being the ability to put on/take off the wheels from their axles innumerable times without loss of function), though, apparently, it's not mentioned much among the P4 bods - though that could be apocryphal.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Re Redcraft kits, I am sorry to say that they are no longer trading. I met John Harris, the brother of Derek who were the proprietors and he said that the market had dried up. The kits were from hand drawn etching masters way back in the late 80s. I have built all of the Barry Railway kits they produced and Derek was very good at supplying chassis kits for scratch building projects. 

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, 88C said:

Re Redcraft kits, I am sorry to say that they are no longer trading. I met John Harris, the brother of Derek who were the proprietors and he said that the market had dried up. The kits were from hand drawn etching masters way back in the late 80s. I have built all of the Barry Railway kits they produced and Derek was very good at supplying chassis kits for scratch building projects. 

Brian

This was the last I heard about Redcraft.  Derek has now closed his workshop. He is suffering from Parkinson’s but still working from home. Try 07774569221 or redcraft@ntlbusiness.com

• Friendly/supportive 6