Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, sandra said:

IMG_1606.jpeg.2079d3c99c690c74a3f8b1c450815ce6.jpegThis is a J52 I’m building from an unknown kit which I bought off eBay. Rather unusually the kit is entirely nickel silver. 

Walsworth Models do a J52 Kit - though the description suggests the etches are both Brass & N.S.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Back in 2007, Bob Reid had some etches made for the Mark 1 Diag 16 restaurant first, of which five were built at Doncaster for the Western Region in 1952. Brian Kirby converted a Bachmann RU for me using these etches. 

35641121751_61313d3241_o.jpgP1040363s by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

35641123201_69a5522f8b_o.jpgP1040366s by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And what an excellent Job Brian made of them.

edit - I should add there's quite an amount of modification to the original propane gas equipped RU to accommodate the Anthracite/Electric Equipment and to the roof ventilators etc.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Oh for a Time Machine to see the real Caledonian Railway locomotives and trains in all their glory ...!

Not a patch on real Scottish Locos, those of the Highland Railway.... But the time machine would be handy..

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, t-b-g said:

When built, the loco was out shopped in LNER livery but was later backdated to GC condition. All apart from the bufferbeam number, which got missed. It has been like that for 20 years now and nobody has noticed but they will now.

Did you alter the splashers and firebox? I can only remember seeing Millholme examples with the final "8K style" continuous version of the rear splashers and waisted firebox.

Graeme

The Millholme Q4 I'm building  was bought from a company called The Kit Connecton over 20 yrs ago. However, it was lacking some parts including all the steps and splashers. As fortune would have it when I was in a model railway shop in Perth, Western Australia in 2005 I found they had a range of w/m parts from various kits in small bags. First thing spotted was a Millholme GC tender which I grabbed (stupid move really given I later decided it wasn't a good model as the body is too long in relation to sole plate/frames- I'd already built one for my B5 seen on WW last week!). Then I spotted another bag with steps in them and others with splashers - both O4 style and also the individual and twin wheel splashers from a Q4 which of course I purchased along with the tender. So I assume these are genuine Mllholme parts I mean what else could they come from? There were no instructions in the kit so I couldn't say 100% they were all supplied in a Millholme kit. Interestingly the twin splashers sit at the same height on the footplate as the curved part of single leading splasher and also the rear splasher. This is incorrect as the twin splasher was a bit taller to accommodate the sand box - like the sand box at the front of the leading splasher. So I'll have to build the twin wheel splashers up in height.

The firebox in the kit was the straight sided version but I've remodelled it into the waisted style.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Add comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Did you alter the splashers and firebox? I can only remember seeing Millholme examples with the final "8K style" continuous version of the rear splashers and waisted firebox.

Hello Graeme.

The firebox was from the kit and I didn't alter it. I built it many years ago and cannot remember for certain if an alternative firebox was supplied but my memory tells me that there was only that option. I do remember the kit having both types of splasher included, as I had to research a correct number for the type I had chosen to use. The long splashers are still in my spares stash.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, grahame said:

I've been struggling with painful arthritis in the hands recently so modelling has been somewhat, hopefully temporarily, curtailed. Nonetheless I can still take a few snaps of my under-construction N/2mm layout, so here's a couple should anyone be interested:

DSC07081crperred.jpg.cea18447792aa7d554e93de6c928cf28.jpg

DSC07046crperredcor.jpg.61f09fa8709cfbfca752fe53337a3fed.jpg

Superlative!

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

turned-brass/steel buffers are always preferable to white metal. 

Hi Tony, 

Interesting comment.

I have an A3 in the last stages of completion (GNR Tender), as well as another A3, an A1 and A2 (all with streamline non corridor tenders).  All with white metal buffers.  

Can you recommend a sources of turned brass/steel buffers for them?  I know the loco/GNR tender have different buffers (well the DJH supplied ones are different) and I would really like to replace them.

Many thanks

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Hi Tony, 

Interesting comment.

I have an A3 in the last stages of completion (GNR Tender), as well as another A3, an A1 and A2 (all with streamline non corridor tenders).  All with white metal buffers.  

Can you recommend a sources of turned brass/steel buffers for them?  I know the loco/GNR tender have different buffers (well the DJH supplied ones are different) and I would really like to replace them.

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

They aren't currently in stock at Roxey but other suppliers may stock them https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/1131/4mb004-lner-spencer-loco-buffers/ - these suit A1/A3s. A2s etc. are too modern for me, I am not sure what they use.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Hi Tony, 

Interesting comment.

Many thanks

Steve

Good evening Steve,

The substitute buffers for the BR Standard Five were from Alan Gibson. Colin does a large range, including the Spencer dual-action types for A1s (Gresley), A3s, K3s, O2s and V2s, etc. The tender buffers are different in having parallel (stepped) shanks.

There are (or were) several other sources for 4mm brass/steel LNER buffers (all buffers, probably) - Cavendish, Markits, Blacksmith, Replica and Kean Maygib spring to mind.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

There are (or were) several other sources for 4mm brass/steel LNER buffers (all buffers, probably) - Cavendish, Markits, Blacksmith, Replica and Kean Maygib spring to mind.

..... Slaters .......

CJI.

• Thanks 1