Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

I believe it is removable by design, it is held by a magnet - as you will probably now know.  Enabling the lamp to be removed.  There is speculation it will give access to the smoke generator, where fitted.  

Unfortunately the slide bar is probably a QC issue, it seems highly unlikely that damage was caused in transit. 

Thanks for that.

Whenever I remove a new model from its packaging, I do so over my photographic 'curve of infinity'. That way, anything loose just lands on it, rather than on the floor (to be lost forever!). Since no slidebar landed on the paper, then, as you suggest, it's probably a QC issue at source.

I don't know how the motion is assembled/fixed on, but it could have snapped off during that process; and nobody noticed.

Hornby is being informed. In fairness, the one Howard Smith brought over on Tuesday was perfect, but his isn't for review!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

One observation and one question.

I think the first shot is at Glenrothes Colliery?  The large building behind is quite distinctive; the colliery was a modern pit which represented a huge investment by the NCB - it was the Selby pit of its day - but was closed within 20 years.  When I lived in the area in the mid-90s I think the last remnants had only just been demolished.

My question is about the tender in the second image above; is this one of the self-weighing jobs?  It almost looks like a canopy which slides back and forth over the body.

Good afternoon Rob,

It is a self-weighing tender, coupled to a few B1s during their lives.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

More on B1s..............

3049.jpg.262c884cea27add1fb5ba1862e8a0780.jpg

It would seem that, in some cases, Scotland omitted the '5MT' and put the RA number centrally below the bottom lining on the cab (just visible).

I thought this was just a Scottish thing..........

610061953cIpswich.jpg.807b52912bcf4e480c9f5349b09c954b.jpg

But it also occurred in England. 

3159.jpg.1a34a0e03e13065efcc65e600b560600.jpg

Some English examples didn't seem to display any RA number.

610041963-05-11AshbourneRCTSLCGBTheNorthMidlandsRailTour.jpg.81d199c4a008cc43e690db18806b4ec8.jpg

Or was it just covered in muck?

61323.jpg.164d7a761cfb2e91d988567a56d13c6a.jpg

Two ex-Scottish B1s were transferred to English sheds during the '50s (this being one of them), but it appears that (at least in this case) the the Scottish style of '5MT' and RA number position was not perpetuated.

At least this gives an excuse for a B1 was 'gussets' to run on the Eastern Region (from New England).

Ah, those joys of 'loco-picking'! 

The usual restrictions, please. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for that.

Whenever I remove a new model from its packaging, I do so over my photographic 'curve of infinity'. That way, anything loose just lands on it, rather than on the floor (to be lost forever!). Since no slidebar landed on the paper, then, as you suggest, it's probably a QC issue at source.

I don't know how the motion is assembled/fixed on, but it could have snapped off during that process; and nobody noticed.

Hornby is being informed. In fairness, the one Howard Smith brought over on Tuesday was perfect, but his isn't for review!

Regards,

Tony. 

Have had dislocated, bent or loose valve gear before but I've never seen an apparent snap (or perhaps miscasting?) like that. I have other misgivings about the Hornby model but I'd be confident that this is a real one off fault.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ROY@34F said:

i have fired on 61392 , a Grantham engine many times . This is me on an excursion train At Skegness in July '63 with girlfriend , Pat and Aunty . Driver Jack Charles took the photo .  Happy days .

Regards , Roy .61392-1963-07-28-61392-skegness.jpg.a6887e8f12a2925aa69477ec1cd866a4.jpg

What a fantastic memory Roy,

Thanks for posting. 

Is it really almost 61 years ago? 

Other than the wonderful human interest, the position of the B1's worksplate is interesting, and when I fitted the conduit for the electric lighting on my model of 61213, I stretched it straight. Wrong! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

Yes Tony ... 61 years . Let's just say I couldn't do it now  ! But I cherish my time in the last golden years  of steam at Grantham . I also noted the works plate position . How unusual is that? I think actually the sagging pipe along the boiler ; is it not the steam feed pipe to the generator near the smokebox  rather than electric conduit ?  It was lagged I reckon as well .

Regards , Roy .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Totally with you Roy about the golden years of steam. Best job in the world and the worst! Banbury was my swansong, pretty much finished sept 66. Reckon I could put a few round the box but any distance? I don't think so!  happy days.

Mick

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2024 at 09:57, Mike 84C said:

Tony, reading your article on B1's in BRM. the photograph of the train of oil tankers is indeed leaving Banbury.  Its Passing Banbury South box and the signal shows its turned onto the up main. I examined the photo, which is not dated , and the train appears to be leaving the up/down goods line which allowed entrance to the north yd; also the goods loop which ran from Banbury jct to Astrop sidings south of Banbury.

I have no wtt's to consult but in the '60's there was a daily oil train from Fawley to Bromford lane and as Fawley was an Esso refinery and they look very much like Esso branded tanks is this the empties returning to Fawley? In all honesty I can only remember that train being diesel hauled but I believe there were 9f's at Eastleigh for that turn. If I am correct then a B1 would be an unusual loco but Saltley, that great stealer of locos, would probably do that  on a needs must basis!  If the train had come off the GC then I am at a loss but maybe Colwick oil terminal is a possibility. Although in latter days that was fed by pipeline and rail from Lindsey refinery at Immingham.

Thanks again Mike,

You confirmed my guess.

B112Banbury.jpg.de4c04234e405b0edb7e90df8e04cda0.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I think the first shot is at Glenrothes Colliery?  The large building behind is quite distinctive; the colliery was a modern pit which represented a huge investment by the NCB - it was the Selby pit of its day - but was closed within 20 years.  When I lived in the area in the mid-90s I think the last remnants had only just been demolished.

My question is about the tender in the second image above; is this one of the self-weighing jobs?  It almost looks like a canopy which slides back and forth over the body.

Good morning Rob,

Another example of a B1 towing a self-weighing tender................

B116Werrington.jpg.f00f662fc2c50bbb6f6eb08f2bc15773.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

A bit late to the Black 5 party. The photo of 44762 in SR Malachite was interesting, one of the three ‘Green 5s’ the BR painted for a livery trial in January 1948. It should have green wheels though. I chickened out of doing my own in that livery and chose its final style instead.

IMG_7542.jpeg.e82575e8fc7f9ea91f9cd27439275192.jpeg

I’m afraid it’s a 7mm scale one built from a Javelin kit. It’s not quite finished yet as it needs a little more weathering.

Here’s a scratch built one in 4mm P4 gauge, built by Stuart Holt for his Scottish layout.

BR45473w.jpeg.b1d16d2c85024c1f6541ae33ba1eb2a2.jpeg

Finally here’s one that Tony built in 7mm - not a bad job.

IMG_0574.jpeg.4e3a7ac44cfc96fa3a0f30ec4dffff4a.jpeg

Ian R

Good morning Ian,

Thanks for showing the O Gauge Black Five I built (Tower/DJH) 20 years ago. Your painting certainly enhanced it!

It was built as a review and then became John Emerson's property. He stated that the leading tender wheels should be discs (very unusual?), which I fitted, but I've never been able to confirm whether this was correct.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, Northmoor said:

IIRC Glenrothes Colliery (which I think this is, being adjacent to Thornton Jn. shed), succumbed to flooding more or less at the time of its opening. If it did produce any coal, it wasn't very much.

On my one trip around the area, in August 1979, it was still standing, derelict and disused, a rather sad sight in the Fifeshire countryside.

John.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2024 at 09:57, Mike 84C said:

Tony, reading your article on B1's in BRM. the photograph of the train of oil tankers is indeed leaving Banbury.  Its Passing Banbury South box and the signal shows its turned onto the up main. I examined the photo, which is not dated , and the train appears to be leaving the up/down goods line which allowed entrance to the north yd; also the goods loop which ran from Banbury jct to Astrop sidings south of Banbury.

I have no wtt's to consult but in the '60's there was a daily oil train from Fawley to Bromford lane and as Fawley was an Esso refinery and they look very much like Esso branded tanks is this the empties returning to Fawley? In all honesty I can only remember that train being diesel hauled but I believe there were 9f's at Eastleigh for that turn. If I am correct then a B1 would be an unusual loco but Saltley, that great stealer of locos, would probably do that  on a needs must basis!  If the train had come off the GC then I am at a loss but maybe Colwick oil terminal is a possibility. Although in latter days that was fed by pipeline and rail from Lindsey refinery at Immingham.

Sorry about late reply just catching up on the thread.

Growing up as a spotter on the ex-LSWR mainline I can confirm 9Fs regularly took Fawley oil tank trains of IIRC 50 tanks plus the barrier wagons north, diverting onto the Didcot line at Shawford Junction.  Sounding spectacular if they had been held on the up slow just south of Shawford. The replacement D65** / class 33’s took shorter trains (25 tanks?). Whether that was due to lower power rating or stopping ability I don’t know.

The usual pointless action (seen with hindsight) in the 1960s was strengthening and track relaying on the DN&S to take the oil trains then closing the route.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Totally with you Roy about the golden years of steam. Best job in the world and the worst! Banbury was my swansong, pretty much finished sept 66. Reckon I could put a few round the box but any distance? I don't think so!  happy days.

Mick

I’ve been privileged to see a few ex-BR men at work and they all make it seem effortless. They also have a knack of keeping themselves clean!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

0-4-0 B1 at Wigan !!

Fxxsrs-WcAAUAug.jpg

Brit15

Stick a smokebox and chimney on the front and it will look like one of those Hornby tinplate 0-4-0 locos

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/06/2024 at 10:17, Tony Wright said:

This is not a good start!

HornbyBlackFive4515713loosesmokeboxdoor.jpg.d994d576090af74f7c0881e74669e69b.jpg

On receipt of the latest Hornby Black Five for review, on removing it from its (substantial) packaging, this is what I found. The smokebox door popped out! No matter, it just clipped back it, but it is a bit loose.

Then, on initial test, it just jammed up. Why? It didn't take long to find out............

HornbyBlackFive4515712missingslidebarhighlighted.jpg.0b496674c24862f8cc1e328891453555.jpg

The top slidebar on the RH side was completely missing, causing the crosshead to lock up. I released it as best I could, but it flops around hopelessly, meaning it's pointless trying to video it for it'll jam again for sure. 

It must have a big knock in transit, and I cannot find the missing piece (though I imagine it'll be impossible to repair). 

So........... At least it proves that 'review samples' are not hand-picked before despatch (though I'd have thought it wise just to check beforehand). I'll request a replacement, which will inevitably delay my review. 

I'm glad I have not ordered any of the new Black 5s. I think I shall stick to my existing Hornby fleet, plus one DJH acquired second hand.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 07/06/2024 at 08:33, zr2498 said:

Good morning

I have clearly missed the joke, and wonder why the response to my question has been met with laughter.

I was asking for some advice!

Dave

image.png.ec5cf06a7d7d5eb38ed8c336af7ad2f2.png

Nothing wrong with your post other than accidentally triggering some follow up banter as  @Clive Mortimore does excellent cut & shut mods and conversions but isn’t the fastest at repainting them. 

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/06/2024 at 08:33, zr2498 said:

Good morning

I have clearly missed the joke, and wonder why the response to my question has been met with laughter.

I was asking for some advice!

Dave

image.png.ec5cf06a7d7d5eb38ed8c336af7ad2f2.png

Hi Dave

Those who know me know I like to do the modelling bit but have a tendency to only get that far. Hence the joke about me painting my locos. Sorry if the wrong message was given, it wasn't your post, it is me they are taking fun of.

Never mind I have the gear but no idea.

011a.jpg.36845d9e689c50c845f3db396b1905ef.jpg

Paint box

012a.jpg.8468ef3af1c2247020d28d11c27559ee.jpg

Spray booth and air brushes

013a.jpg.c9b45c10691425ae1465d812a9fa7ffb.jpg

Compressor and rattle cans

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9