Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

When I built my NuCast K2, probably around 35 years ago, I was just glad that I got the valve gear to work at all. It was my first kit built Walschearts gear, although I had replaced the crosshead and slidebars and added the missing bits on a Triang-Hornby Britannia when I was still a teenager.

I am not too sure that mine ever received any brake gear but I did cut new frames out of brass armour plate to replace the whitemetal lump.

Once Malcolm Crawley produced the artwork for the London Road kit, my model was relegated to a box and hasn't been out since. The new one was just so much better looking.

Tony's Nucast model already looks far better than mine ever did especially above the footplate and it looks no worse than mine below.

One thing that would improve the look of the loco Tony has built would be the addition of balance weights. I don't know if they are absent deliberately or have been forgotten but they are quite large on a K2, especially on the centre wheels and their omission detracts from the appearance of the loco far more than the slightly chunky valve gear to my eyes. Especially when other locos on the layout have them.

Thanks Tony,

The balance weights have been forgotten. None was supplied on the valve gear etch (unlike on the Nu-Cast V2), so I'll have to make them. You're right, they are prominent.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Do current RTR manufacturers go to these lengths because of customer demand? Some 'modellers' I know wish a lot of fine detail were not present because it's too vulnerable. Or, they don't like the idea of having to fit bits themselves. I suppose manufacturers add it on because they can, such is the 'flexibility' in modern tooling suites. 

I suspect it is what the manufacturers in China offer, or have to offer, in other markets. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Little Bytham now has four K2s (it had two more, but they were sold to friends). 

Three are from Nu-Cast, including.......

oldNu-CastK261745.jpg.19b4f6a07ee9e47408a80937d1d27583.jpg

This ancient example, which I built when the kit came out (when was that?). 

Like Tony Gee, I built scratch-built brass frames for it. It rides on ancient Romfords, so any balance weights were cast in at source. 

The painting is all my work.

LondonRoadK261745onMGNR.jpg.4f316e078fb7fe15deb686694da88106.jpg

A much better K2 is provided by London Road Models; built by me and painted by Ian Rathbone.

The full-sized balance weights are provided at source, and the motion is much finer than on the Nu-Cast one. 

I'd give this kit ten out of ten, were it not the fact that the coupling rods did not match the bearing holes in the frames. Building it rigid (which is not prescribed in the instructions), I resorted to making new rods. However, had I built it compensated (as prescribed) then the discrepancy would not have mattered! 

The slightly drooping RH front buffer was caused by my dropping the loco from the layout to the floor, cushioning it with my foot to lessen the blow! It looks quite prototypical, and that's all the model suffered. 

61760K202.jpg.87429855b3fd76e73abd1ca346bbdf13.jpg

The third Nu-Cast K2 is in the form of this latest Nu-Cast & Partners re-release. This has balance weights, but the middle ones are too small.

I made it and Geoff Haynes painted it. At this moment it's at Scaleforum as part of his demonstration there.

K2s were common on the M&GNR western section right up to the end. But not as common latterly as.........

scratch-builtIvatt4MT43127.jpg.952415208a480ec606f3463eedd8813a.jpg

Ivatt's Class 4MT 2-6-0s. 

This scratch-built 'Flying Pig' has the work of at least five modellers in it, all now deceased apart from (fortunately) me! 

It came to me part-built, so I made a chassis for it and finished it all off. 

In earlier BR times on the M&GNR........

modifiedHornbyB12361545.jpg.313e63172bcba82ceecb507b6e5f8529.jpg

Expresses would be worked by ex-GE B12s. 

This example is no more than a modified/detailed/renumbered/weathered Horny RTR example; certainly as good as anything I could make, if not better.

I mentioned pesky spiders earlier.....

43127spiderswebonfront.jpg.2ac037a4dee42a8dd68892db2175e5a9.jpg

The first picture I took of 43127 resulted in this! 

I brushed off the webs and re-took its picture, but the damned things really are a nuisance. The sharp-eyed will note that I turned the LH lamp round the right way for the second shot! Photography notices much more than the naked eye. 

It was the first loco I drove into position for photography this morning, and must have picked up these webs passing through the overbridge at the west end. 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Me too. But you can’t argue that the railways were at their zenith, had a huge variety of stock or colourful liveries. 

I grew up with BR blue on the SE EMU railway. The weekly highlight was a class 33 hauled train  to Beckenham Jn coal depot. Apart from that it was all CIGs, EPBs and SUBs. But once I was old enough I found Finsbury Park and the Deltics and then the West Highland line - fantastic! I now model 1920s London and 1980s West Highland in O gauge and the GNML in 00 so covering all bases! You can’t beat a split box 37 on Mk 1s!

IMG_9375.jpeg.80cda770dc282c70f8e9eccdced7ae25.jpeg

Andy

I do like the PG liveries as well, even if they are a nightmare to paint.

LNWR is especially nice, full panelled GWR good, ECML teak, all over greens and maroons are OK.

Not seen many Scottish PG, nor southern PGs.

Crimson Cream was a bright scheme, nicer than all over maroon, but did not last well.

But BR blue grey is one of the better British liveries. I would not knock it. (says someone with a blue car)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2023 at 08:19, nest said:

It inherently makes for more curiosity when no one can remember living the period. The attraction of having to build more oneself also opens the gate for further uniqueness.

It’s telling that (arguably) the most influential of UK layouts is a pre grouping one in Buckingham. 
There is also an argument to be made of far more variety in livery and classes of stock creating potentially a more colourful and varied layout. 

The attraction of pre-Grouping is undoubtedly the desire to build-your-own.  It would be very difficult to motivate yourself to build a layout set in say, the 1990s - for which a huge RTR range exists - then deciding to scratch-build everything.  If next to nothing is available, you would never feel (or be told by some ill-mannered spectator at an exhibition) that you were wasting your time.  An enjoyable part of building model railways for many is the research aspect and for anything over 100 years old, what material exists takes much more involved detective work.  You can't just buy the first five books off the shelf and look at a few Fotopic galleries.  It's going to be a real treasure hunt, you will learn a great deal of new information (maybe even become an acknowledged expert in the subject) and that is probably a large part of the appeal.

I suspect that for some, there is also simply the desire to be different.  Just as some people dress in a way to stand out in a crowd and others try to replicate others' styles, modellers may decide they want something like what they've seen in magazines (which is why I've always believed there are so many very, very similar layouts shown), or decide they want to build something completely unlike what anyone else has.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I find 50s and 60s difficult as well  and come to think of it even 70s and 80s.

Huge holes in carriages and wagons.

I built kits for 7 carriages, 1 is RTR, two were, semi scratch as 3 suppliers used. Roof bogies sides floor different suppliers.

Wagons 3d printing helps, producing early BR stuff involves updating late pre nat stuff with different bits.

1980s stuff had to modify every vehicle in one rake, 8 modded carriages, none were as basic as respray and laserglaze.

I am starting to collect Dapol 22 and Bachmann 45xx though.

I learnt many years ago RTR do what they want not what you want.

Take BR WR in 80s.

Aircons have to mix and match, or convert lots of them, non aircon mark 2 only just arrived.

Suburban DMUs need to make the DMSs.

No cross country, no HST TRSB, you cannot accurately model anything without making something yourself.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The answer to spiders is peppermint oil. If they are inhabiting areas like tunnels and over bridges then smear a line of it around the bridge or tunnel mouths and that should keep the little blighters out. I have arachnophobia so I know about anti spider measures. The added benefit is that the layout room will smell nice as well.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Got another question

4mm scale axle boxes, I need a few different types.

Apart from MJT Dart and left over Parkside, what else is there?

These are for old stock which has been done up and VBed by British Railways.

I do not need any excuse to buy more BR Tube kits JUST for the axle boxes as I fit roller bearing ones to mine!!!!

Big rectangular are not a problem is two dots at top.

Happy to receive an STL if someone has or selling one

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

The answer to spiders is peppermint oil. If they are inhabiting areas like tunnels and over bridges then smear a line of it around the bridge or tunnel mouths and that should keep the little blighters out. I have arachnophobia so I know about anti spider measures. The added benefit is that the layout room will smell nice as well.

Regards Lez.  

Big problem for me in the shed & garage - how often does it need renewing as I am interested in trying it.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, MJI said:

Got another question

4mm scale axle boxes, I need a few different types.

Apart from MJT Dart and left over Parkside, what else is there?

These are for old stock which has been done up and VBed by British Railways.

I do not need any excuse to buy more BR Tube kits JUST for the axle boxes as I fit roller bearing ones to mine!!!!

Big rectangular are not a problem is two dots at top.

Happy to receive an STL if someone has or selling one

Look through the Appleby Model Engineering section of the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Justin at Rumney Models has a lot of options covered, either white metal or 3D printed.

Lots there, will need to get an order in, I am knocking up a load of 5.5 planks, 10ft WB VB stuff.

Thanks for that.

Can't find any unbraked 10ft opens only 9ft opens.

• RMweb Premium

By the way my wagons are layout wagons.

Why?

All slightly different.

Based on real ones.

Different wheels, buffers, axleboxes, brakes are per prototype.

Not going mad on underframe detail, enough to look right and not annoy me.

Ex GWR 5.5 planks, using Ratio bodies

9ft as kit

using for 10ft

3 types of wheels (will be mainly 3 hole)

4 types of buffers (hmm Tunnocks caramel wafers)

5 types of axle boxes (I have 2, but enough for half the ones I will evenually build) need one other type.

I reckon 6 or so will be enough.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Look through the Appleby Model Engineering section of the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

CJI.

Hmmm interesting

Which type of rectangular is AB2?

Bolt heads in plate on front, which are they most like?

image.png.90170ef287b6ba4da9bbf894375d1de3.png

If the lower 2 sets would be great thanks.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

BTW I would love a set very similar to BL189 but for the Serpentine traffic. Up to 6 now, with 4 as bare prints.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, john new said:

Big problem for me in the shed & garage - how often does it need renewing as I am interested in trying it.

Try every month to start with then you can adjust to every 2 weeks if necessary. I do the thresholds once a month. With a shed or a garage make sure they can't get in in the first place by using draft excluder strips on the doors and windows. That helps a lot.

Regards Lez. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

Hmmm interesting

Which type of rectangular is AB2?

Bolt heads in plate on front, which are they most like?

image.png.90170ef287b6ba4da9bbf894375d1de3.png

If the lower 2 sets would be great thanks.

I will be returning home tomorrow, so will check on Tuesday and get back to you then.

CJI.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Have you got a photo of one with the serpentine lettering?

CJI.

Nothing special except running numbers but i can send the list and links to photos.

Managed to correctly ID one of them which was nice.