Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

PI "Victory "- got one (black) very impressed with performance  (slow) and love the (DCC :mellow:) sound effects esp of wagons being shunted (although short duration at present) - mine is going to be B&M 35 but AD&JR 35 also possible apart from the industry ones. Capable of photos but not to your quality I am afraid. tractive effort enormous - loco weighs 242g.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This thread has previously discussed the rights and wrongs of weathering and I've certainly been critical of some "professional" weathering services, charging significant sums for what often looks nothing like real weathering.  So I was surprised and a bit disappointed to see WoR apparently giving a free advert to one supplier - "Giving models a 'scrap yard' look" - that to my eyes are some of the worst examples; the two images in the article might be fair efforts but aren't representative of some of their products. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BMS said:

PI "Victory "- got one (black) very impressed with performance  (slow) and love the (DCC :mellow:) sound effects esp of wagons being shunted (although short duration at present) - mine is going to be B&M 35 but AD&JR 35 also possible apart from the industry ones. Capable of photos but not to your quality I am afraid. tractive effort enormous - loco weighs 242g.

Good afternoon,

Does it matter if your photographs are not of a 'high quality'? They're not for publication (In print), so, please, may we see your model?

I think it's most-important that this thread doesn't just show what I've built or photographed.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been asked to produce a series of articles for BRM where I take basically 'tatty' RTR models and, with a little TLC, bring them back to life so to speak. 

There are two principal reasons behind this request. One, at a time when money is particularly tight, a loco might well be bought for a very low price (for instance, in Grantham's excellent model shop this morning, I was shown by the proprietor boxes of stuff full of potential guinea pigs for the articles; including a non-running Tri-ang Jinty, which looked like all it needed was pick-up adjustment. The possible asking price as seen? No more than a tenner! This is stuff Shane had in for assessment - it certainly wasn't for sale right now. I'll be revisiting his establishment very soon after he's done some sorting, and, with the usual disclaimer, so should others). 

Antique (tat?) shops are also worth investigating. In Horncastle a couple of weeks ago, I found a Tri-ang Brush Type 2 (in not-bad) condition for the princely sum of £8.00. The shop owner had no means of testing if it worked, but it does! 

And two; the articles (I hope) will encourage folk to have a go at doing some 'modelling' for themselves; even if it ends up less than desired, it won't have cost much and vital lessons will be learned. 

Has anyone else examples of models they've 'brought back to life', please?  The 'quality' of any photographs is immaterial.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

This was part of the theme I adopted for my wagon building demo at Warley last year: start with a wreck (or a really cheap kit) and use it to practice on, then you've much less to lose if it all goes horribly wrong and you'll still have learned something.  

Most of the subjects were bought in an Ebay job lot and a number now run on Grantham, but I encourage people to look in the rummage bins under traders stands at shows as you can pick up some decent projects for very little :

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

If you're not happy with what you've done by the time you think you've finished - use it to practice weathering.

Thanks Jonathan,

These are just the sort of examples of rolling stock I had in mind.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Brought back to life Tony, or in this case, resurrected from a very very old Hornby "Winston Churchill" model of around 1969/70. The full story is on my thread:

This is how it looked when I started, very gruesome.

IMG_8146.JPG.7281331b5b927376ce8b38f273d50063.JPG

Brass sheeting in progress.

IMG_8190.JPG.fbe5afb697e712218ceeafeb4b60475d.JPG

Progress to date, it has a Comet chassis, Branchlines gearbox and large can motor. Valvegear, I have no idea, cylinders scratch built. It runs very well with a large section of lead under the roof!

IMG_8226.JPG.42529afc1817007888aa7b0c172f98fc.JPG

It will be 34030 Watersmeet.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

This was part of the theme I adopted for my wagon building demo at Warley last year: start with a wreck (or a really cheap kit) and use it to practice on, then you've much less to lose if it all goes horribly wrong and you'll still have learned something.  

Most of the subjects were bought in an Ebay job lot and a number now run on Grantham, but I encourage people to look in the rummage bins under traders stands at shows as you can pick up some decent projects for very little :

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

If you're not happy with what you've done by the time you think you've finished - use it to practice weathering.

Notice you have some transfers for @Nicktoix old model of Windermere. The unloading point for the Elterwater gun powder  wagons was next door to the engine shed ash pit.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

This thread has previously discussed the rights and wrongs of weathering and I've certainly been critical of some "professional" weathering services, charging significant sums for what often looks nothing like real weathering.  So I was surprised and a bit disappointed to see WoR apparently giving a free advert to one supplier - "Giving models a 'scrap yard' look" - that to my eyes are some of the worst examples; the two images in the article might be fair efforts but aren't representative of some of their products. 

Good evening Rob,

A few examples of RTR weathering.

I'm making no judgement on these, but they're what's been available (might still be) in the past............

BachmannChinaClayweathered33-080A.jpg.f0a0f046f13c84009612d956a1860f83.jpg

A Bachmann China Clay wagon.

BachmannHTAhopperEWSweathered37-854.jpg.6d1cc9d2c8194a00a2a711f9862d98e7.jpg

A Bachmann HTA hopper.

BachmannMk1suburbanweathered.jpg.28127babaa63a1dfca05869db7e08f21.jpg

A Bachmann Mk.1 suburban.

BachmannModelzoneinternalventvans38-160U.jpg.65d83874c0d25cbdb34f6ab1d3002f6e.jpgBachmann/Modelzone trio of vans.

BachmannTMCsixweatheredBRminerals37-235Z02.jpg.2c8dd6efdf91e652001c82b095655028.jpg

Bachmann/TMC weathered minerals.

FarishLMSBGweathered374-887.jpg.074f3332c323ca24e12d70d678a0e5b1.jpg

Farish ex-LMS BG.

FarishthreeweatheredBRvans377-990.jpg.9592212adcae2b5b0343cdfeec4e7b75.jpg

Farish trio of vans.

HornbyEx-VirginMk3BuffetweatheredR4545.jpg.cef1e80e529015dee11ddc170e5564fc.jpg

Hornby ex-Virgin Mk.3 Buffet Car.

LordButlerDirtyBoyweatheredcementwagons.jpg.082459c60cf5b3bc22f4a713f65e813c.jpg

Bachmann/Lord & Butler trio of cement wagons. 

Bachmannweatheredcattlevan37-712C.jpg.0d62dc9d356c9718bb4e759adc65f9a2.jpg

And a Bachmann weathered cattle wagon (with funny spelling!). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A few examples of RTR weathering.

BachmannMk1suburbanweathered.jpg.28127babaa63a1dfca05869db7e08f21.jpg

A Bachmann Mk.1 suburban.

FarishLMSBGweathered374-887.jpg.074f3332c323ca24e12d70d678a0e5b1.jpg

Farish ex-LMS BG.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

With weathering in mind, a few other examples (not factory-applied)...........

HornbyGresleynon-corridor3rdR4520weathered.jpg.7a9213e5f348bef487cd849f8e5ef7a7.jpg

My weathering on a Hornby non-gangwayed Gresley.

HornbySRbogievanweathered02.jpg.1672e6b35b719ead329287557402a5ce.jpg

And on a Hornby gangwayed SR van. 

So is Tom Foster. In fact, Tom's one of the best in the business. 

BachmannA260538VELOCITY01.jpg.0aa0eaad83ff0e50e353236a920e7b89.jpg

I detailed/renumbered/renamed this Bachmann A2 and Tom weathered it perfectly (though I need to change the shedcode!).

weatheredRTRvans.jpg.f88d3e313f69c1e8e1f6e60806b5ef56.jpg

And, I'm lucky to have several (detailed RTR) vehicles weathered by Rob Davey. 

To my my mind, all the above look much more-natural because they're weathered. As I state, nothing on Little Bytham is not weathered to some degree or another. 

I know the second image above is 2mm scale, but compared to the work below, well there is simply no comparison (in my view) between the first batch and the second.

I agree about Tom Foster's work, an astonishing standard and worth every penny.  I'm still dabbling at weathering (that's what cheap, old models are for!) but would be very pleased to get anywhere near your standard, Tony.

@MJIis right, most professional weathering is far too uniform.  To be fair to the suppliers, proper weathering might require multiple approaches with different colours and techniques and could take up to two hours per vehicle (even working in batches).  There are probably too few people prepared to pay a commercial rate to weather a £30-40 coach properly, so they get what can be done within the price ceiling, which is waving an airbrush at it a couple of times.  It doesn't excuse though, apparently doing little more than pouring dirty thinners over a model and leaving it to dry.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit more "new life into old models", some may well  remember the Playcraft range from the late 60s and 70s.  Simplified and robust models for the very train set end of the market (but rtr what wasn't then?)

Some of the model produced were based on French prototypes and in particular a range of bogie goods vehicles were based on so called (and sometimes wrongly) "TP" wagons.  These were wagons produced in the US and left in France after the end of WW1.  They were reinforced by purchases made by the French government to the same designs up to around 1921.  Purchased to support the decimated railway companies, they were designated as public works (travaux publics) which gave them the Monica.  

In terms of prime dimensions they were surprisingly accurate for the time in terms of prime dimensions but nevertheless crude in the detail.

http://www.playcraftrailways.com/P650.htm

Around 1990 I found a shop in York that had somehow obtained quite a stock of new Playcraft wagons and so IIRC 50p was exchanged for each wagon.

The wheels were discarded and the bogies attacked.  These were plastic lumps representing the diamond framed types of the prototype with solid backs where there should be a view through.  the backs were drilled through then cut and filed until the open nature of the bogies was obtained.  Spoked wheels with bearings were installed.  [ I have subsequently found out that while this is not wrong, as delivered they had solid wheels - like the original model - and received (or not) spoked wheels as wheel sets were replaced over time.]

Underframe trussing was added from plasticard.  The model was painted and paper markings added.

At the time there were no commercially available buffers of the correct pattern available, so the as produced ones remain in place.  

IMG_2557.JPG.f6cb81706c7adc5534273ad5d17c56c7.JPG

It will always be a trainset wagon but I think of a standard that does not stick out too far against more recent and detailed offerings.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I can't quite make 50 years seperation in models of the same class, but I can do about 30! 90674 was built as a one off in the '90s, long before I moved from 4mm to 7mm scale. 90437 was built in 2017 . Oakville and JLTRT kits respectively - although the Oakville one has had two rebuilds..

IMG_8730.JPG.b54dd5a644127f71469343a88bc9f1bc.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, coronach said:

@Tony Wright, do you lubricate the axle bearings of your rolling stock?  If so, what type/brand of oil do you recommend?  I have generally used Peco brand oil but it comes in very small bottles. 

Good morning,

Since most of my stock runs in brass pin-point bearings, lubrication is only necessary in small amounts (though regular lubrication is an absolute necessity if RTR plastic bogies are retained; otherwise the bearing holes travel 'northwards' over time and the coach's floor pan eventually catches on the wheels' flanges! I was surprised at this at first, until I noticed that the original wheels' pint-point ends weren't perfectly-machined. Thus, I substitute Jackson/Romford 14mm discs - I bought loads and loads of these years ago. Not only that, it removes dodgy back-to-backs and wobbly wheels, though more-recent RTR wheels have been much better than in the past). 

Oil? I buy it in a sort of 'syringe' dispenser (though it's not a sharp point) from Hobby Holidays or Squires. It isn't labelled. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Antique (tat?) shops are also worth investigating. In Horncastle a couple of weeks ago, I found a Tri-ang Brush Type 2 (in not-bad) condition for the princely sum of £8.00. The shop owner had no means of testing if it worked, but it does! 

What about a 9 volt battery?

• Agree 2