Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jamiel said:

Possibly so, but I did only buy it two weeks ago.

It might be influenced by my choice of gear ratio which is the mid one offered, which might have meant that an old worm had to be used.

I was lucky to get the bogie kit, they have been out of stock for a while, so it was put together for me after I emailed about availability, for which I am very grateful.

Jamie

I bought a LoRider 36:1 i nJune this year - I don't think the parts are an issue, it's the motor availability as they are designed around a specific Mashima.

There's no grub screws. The axle gears are interference fit black plastic. I found them just the right level of fit, but it does say you can ease the hole slightly if need be. I used loctite on the worms to the motor.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any experience of Genesis kits, please? 

The proprietor died earlier this year, and I'm meeting his widow in a fortnight to see if I can be of any help in finding new homes for his models (many built from his kits, I'm told). This is at the request of a friend.

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, dibateg said:

Post Guildex get together and the second running session on the railway with some giants of railway modelling (!). We allhad a great day.

IMG_8667.JPG.aa572a942bd86b5120a550f756b32982.JPG

It was great to let them loose with the trains.., all I had to do is try and remember how it all works...

IMG_8671.JPG.5a200d77b842044e89a6c85d77d30c14.JPG

Good morning Tony,

I'd like to post 'like', but the programme won't let me!

Sounds like a great day. Having friends (dear friends) round to operate a railway is one of the greatest pleasures in the hobby, especially (in my case) if I can remember how to run mine.

I must try and get over to see you eventually. It's years since I played cricket just down the road from you, watching Class 37s hauling passenger trains on the adjacent railway, with the Severn burbling alongside. Can it really be over 40 years ago? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, dibateg said:

I think I accidentally deleted it!

I rarely run the railway myself, the great joy is in sharing it and having mates around to run it.

Post Guildex get together and second runing session on the railway with some of the giants of railway modelling (!),

IMG_8667.JPG.9196daf3ba970e9acdd9e21dd810aae1.JPG

The railway ran well, all I had to do was to remember how it works! It was great to let them loose with the trains and try things I'd never thought of!

IMG_8671.JPG.4c487623e4c669a0d4e2b179c5cf6d29.JPG

It was, as we say round these parts, a grand day out.

Many thanks for letting us play with your lovely layout.

3 of us spent both days at the GOG show at Stafford and then went on to Tony's and met up with the others on Monday.

It was one of those weekends that reminds me of all that is good about our wonderful hobby. Spending time with such good people and seeing such top drawer modelling is truly inspiring.

We came away with a few projects purchased at the show and tons of enthusiasm to get on with them.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Some, but by no means all of the range.   Most of it was too modern for me.   The kits I built were pewter and the castings were average.   I did a Palbrick and an LNER steel open, but there were some more modern wagons and (I think) containers in the range.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Some, but by no means all of the range.   Most of it was too modern for me.   The kits I built were pewter and the castings were average.   I did a Palbrick and an LNER steel open, but there were some more modern wagons and (I think) containers in the range.

Check dimensions - I bought a bogie armor plate wagon, only to find that it is over-width.

When I queried this with the proprietor, he said that he designed his kits for a friend who ran Hornby Dublo, and he matched the widths to HD wagons.

Sounds a bit 'odd' to me!

CJI.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Check dimensions - I bought a bogie armor plate wagon, only to find that it is over-width.

When I queried this with the proprietor, he said that he designed his kits for a friend who ran Hornby Dublo, and he matched the widths to HD wagons.

Sounds a bit 'odd' to me!

CJI.

Very 'odd' John,

Though I have no knowledge of the Genesis kits. 

With the death of the proprietor, it looks like that's the end of the range; though I've been told there's a 'shed-full' of stuff to go through. How big a shed, I have no idea; but we'll see.

I'll report accordingly when I've been to see what's there.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info on the J6 Tony, I’ll have a hunt back through the 2018 copies of BRM. Both models look beautiful , and my reason for asking is that I am finding the fit of the parts very difficult, resulting in a lot of filler use, not something I normally like to do. I appreciate the kit relies on old castings. I too have built an LRM tender to go with it and as I wanted to use a Portescap I already had, driving the middle axle the gearbox also shows through the frames. Not a problem at all, in my view as it can’t really be seen from normal viewing angles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Thanks for the info on the J6 Tony, I’ll have a hunt back through the 2018 copies of BRM. Both models look beautiful , and my reason for asking is that I am finding the fit of the parts very difficult, resulting in a lot of filler use, not something I normally like to do. I appreciate the kit relies on old castings. I too have built an LRM tender to go with it and as I wanted to use a Portescap I already had, driving the middle axle the gearbox also shows through the frames. Not a problem at all, in my view as it can’t really be seen from normal viewing angles.

Good morning Roger,

Is it a new Nu-Cast and Partners J6 you're building? Or an original Nu-Cast J6? I ask because the more-recent castings I had were rather good, with just a bit of fettling needed. I think Dave Ellis made new moulds. 

I think your point about a 'visible' gearbox is well-made. Under 'studio' conditions, it'll be clearly seen but on a layout, at 'normal' viewing distances.............

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

I have the very last of the late Brian Lee's locos for sale...........

Ivatt2Mt4652102small.jpg.634116a0cd00e28f04097e18c8296607.jpg

Built from a Nu-Cast kit, and a smooth runner (Portescap-powered). 

It's unusual in the collection in being in late BR condition (Brian mainly had pre-Nationalisation stock).

I'm asking £150.00. Anyone interested, please PM me.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2023 at 09:51, thegreenhowards said:

Just catching upon the thread after a few days sailing along the south coast.

I have a similar problem with my DJH Klondike.

990.jpeg.422f93830725297ee201003d509f2e70.jpeg

It has one of the smaller portescaps (also reclaimed from another loco) and will run well for one lap of my layout (70ft), but then starts to slow down and more or less dies by the end of the second lap. If I give it a couple of hours to recover it will do the same again. So far I’ve lived with it as locos rarely need to do more than one lap, but this conversation has made me think I ought to sort it out. 

While I hate to admit it, I do wonder if the chip is at fault as I think I have one of those cheap Chinese ones in it. I will try stripping the chip out first. If it works on DC, then I’ll try a Zimo chip - they never cause problems (famous last words).

I will report back in due course…hopefully without giving ‘sir’ another quote for his wall!

Andy

As I am catching up from about ten pages back this may have been answered. Whether or not these motors can be remagnetised I don’t know but those symptoms seem very similar to problems of weak magnets in locos when I was running my Classic Train set layout. H Dublo 3-rail and cured by remagnetising. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Roger,

Is it a new Nu-Cast and Partners J6 you're building? Or an original Nu-Cast J6? I ask because the more-recent castings I had were rather good, with just a bit of fettling needed. I think Dave Ellis made new moulds. 

I think your point about a 'visible' gearbox is well-made. Under 'studio' conditions, it'll be clearly seen but on a layout, at 'normal' viewing distances.............

Regards,

Tony. 

It’s the Nu-Cast and partners one Tony. Two piece boiler, same for smokebox, three piece cab - and to get them all central and level. The castings are crisp enough though. Perhaps I’ve spent too much time on etched kits  lately !!

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The proprietor died earlier this year, and I'm meeting his widow in a fortnight to see if I can be of any help in finding new homes for his models (many built from his kits, I'm told). This is at the request of a friend.

I have had built an Original West Country Class from one of the Genesis kits.   The castings  are Pewter.

With a few extra detailing parts which are readily available, it has turned out to a lovely model of 'Yeovil'.

If there was another one of the West Country kits available, I would be very interested.

Cheers, Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I have the very last of the late Brian Lee's locos for sale...........

Ivatt2Mt4652102small.jpg.634116a0cd00e28f04097e18c8296607.jpg

Built from a Nu-Cast kit, and a smooth runner (Portescap-powered). 

It's unusual in the collection in being in late BR condition (Brian mainly had pre-Nationalisation stock).

I'm asking £150.00. Anyone interested, please PM me.

Hi Tony,

You have a pm...

Kind Regards,

Brian

• Thanks 1