Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, coronach said:

I remember seeing an overhauled SR 4-wheel van in the S2000 series ex works in the Saturday parcels arrival into York in about 1978. The blue paint stood out like a sore thumb and it still had the wet paint smell. The adjacent wooden vans were all grotty brown and is was sometimes difficult to decipher the running numbers

I remember a mate applying a wet rag to a similarly mucky SR Utility van only six years before that, exposing crimson paint underneath the crud! They never got maroon because any overhauled from 1956 went back into green.

That one clearly hadn't seen the business end of a paint brush for the better part of two decades!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

... on what?

I think that it is widely accepted - unless there is evidence to the contrary - that BR didn't paint NPCCS brown.

As to older NPCCS going for scrap still in pre-Nationalisation brown - I am sure that many did so.

Nonetheless, anything repainted by BR, after the first few months, would have been crimson or maroon - albeit indistinguishable under standard railway muck.

CJI.

Good evening John,

Perhaps the jury's not out, and your assertion that NPCCS weren't painted brown by BR is 'proven', though some might disagree.  

I think the problem (which you identify) is that any repainted non-passenger-carrying vehicles were cleaned so irregularly that they all gravitate to brown. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

On the fact that probably many of the later-build siphons were painted crimson/maroon by BR. If vehicles of the same age built by the LNER and the LMS were painted thus, why should the ex-GWR vehicles be treated differently? Several SR vans of the same vintage were also painted crimson/maroon. 

Perhaps the jury's not out, and your assertion that NPCCS weren't painted crimson/maroon by BR is 'not-proven'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I'm completely lost - my only assertions have been that : -

a] I saw heavily weathered crimson or maroon in the photos of the model SIPHON Gs - NOT brown;

b] BR did NOT paint ex-GWR (or any other) NPCCS stock brown.

You seem to have got my contentions *rse-about-face!

Regards,

John.

PS. Tony - you must have edited your post; when I read it it stated, as above, exactly the opposite of how it now reads.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening John,

Perhaps the jury's not out, and your assertion that NPCCS weren't painted brown by BR is 'proven', though some might disagree.  

I think the problem (which you identify) is that any repainted non-passenger-carrying vehicles were cleaned so irregularly that they all gravitate to brown. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Indeed, Tony.

Brown, but not brown paint!

With an overhaul cycle that, for some vehicles at least, apparently exceeded the period between livery policy changes I'd think that "skipping" a livery wouldn't have been remarkable.

e.g. GW Brown to BR maroon without crimson between, BR(s) crimson to Rail Blue without first reverting to green.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure about NPCCS not being painted brown but Stratford certainly continued painting ex GER coaches in brown through the 1950’s.  There are several colour photos demonstrating that in the various East Anglian colour albums and I attach one taken by RC Riley at Cambridge in 1958.  Not sure about copyright rules so please respect that.

Nigel

IMG_2406.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

I suggest owners of duplicate Slinn books get them on eBay now, as their value will shortly be plummeting(!!)

Recently, I bought another copy (so I could scribble notes in it) for $5 AUS - about £2.56 UK.

I was born and grew up in Manchester with siphons, southern utilities on the busy Newspaper traffic. Dad would take me down on a Friday night before he went to work. It is a long time ago but they did not all appear to be blue, but so filthy/tatty they could have been any dark colour. Some where also withdrawn there. On leaving Manchester Victoria you could see all the newspaper vans in Redbank sidings with some in a separate siding with the circle and cross painted on them. At least one was cut in Manchester (as was an ex GWR Monster and several full brakes) with others scrapped in Sheffield.  Another modeller, my father and I used to visit at the time, had a plank and window bolection from the scrapped siphon, with the intention of removing paint layers to see the original colour. Sadly both he and the wood are long gone. in 1972 the BR carriage register still had 132 Siphons on the books. With the last siphons being built in the 1950's, this figure is understandably.

I forgot to mention inside frame siphon 2931. As evidence of how off GWR they went in BR days it was destroyed in 1952 -  in the  Harrow and Wealdstone disaster.

The only freshly brown painted siphon in BR days, I witnessed, appeared at York in the 1970's, on its' way to Eaglescliffe.  No family camera then though I would have prioritised the Deltics that passed through whilst 7808 waited for a clear path

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/397/going-loco-may-2020

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Tony,

I'm completely lost - my only assertions have been that : -

a] I saw heavily weathered crimson or maroon in the photos of the model SIPHON Gs - NOT brown;

b] BR did NOT paint ex-GWR (or any other) NPCCS stock brown.

You seem to have got my contentions *rse-about-face!

Regards,

John.

PS. Tony - you must have edited your post; when I read it it stated, as above, exactly the opposite of how it now reads.

I did get it the wrong way round John,

And rapidly edited it. But you were too quick.

The moral? Always read a post thoroughly, and always read a response thoroughly.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I remember when one of the early RTR Siphons came out, very likely by Airfix, the colour was somewhere half way between maroon and brown. It was as if they had mixed equal amounts of each. I never did decide which one it was supposed to be but wasn't a good match for either.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I remember when one of the early RTR Siphons came out, very likely by Airfix, the colour was somewhere half way between maroon and brown. It was as if they had mixed equal amounts of each. I never did decide which one it was supposed to be but wasn't a good match for either.

....... but they were a very good representation of moderately weathered SIPHONs G and H!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

....... but they were a very good representation of moderately weathered SIPHONs G and H!

CJI.

They were apart from being exactly the same colour all over, with a clean black underframe and bogie and a plain grey roof. A bit of additional weathering was needed to make them look half decent but you are right, it was a good base colour to weather the body from.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JamesSpooner said:

I’m not sure about NPCCS not being painted brown but Stratford certainly continued painting ex GER coaches in brown through the 1950’s.  There are several colour photos demonstrating that in the various East Anglian colour albums

Shortly after BR introduced their first liveries, all the LNER carriage works were instructed to paint coaches expected to be withdrawn before its next major shopping be painted all-over coach brown. Stratford seems to have kept its old coaches in service longer than other works. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I remember going on holiday in 1956 and travelling in a newly painted teak grained (steel sided) coach from Newcastle Central down to the docks. I can still remember the fresh paint smell inside the coach. I also saw 26501 on the dock lines.

Could this have been a livery trial for the newly liberated Eastern Region?

Ian R

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

I've spent the last day or so ensuring that all the EM locos/stock run well (it'll all be on sale at Expo EM at Wakefield over the coming weekend - apart from a few items already sold). All run well, though the locos can't have been used for some considerable time. 

With that done.............

NeilFisherNu-CastK204.jpg.de4c4031b1fb791005153b7e0e1c14fa.jpg

I've turned my attention to completing the Nu-Cast K2 I started a week ago. 

Just the motion to make now (the connecting rod is temporarily in place to check the piston rod's length).

Not a bad kit, considering its age, and one highly-unlikely (though who knows?) to ever appear RTR. 

By the way, I've found out to whom that LRM J6 I featured earlier belongs to. It's Gilbert Barnatt's property (to run on Peterborough North), and was handed to me to see if I could get it running sweetly; which I have done! I'm glad that's resolved, and he'll get it back soon, though I do puzzle over my memory these days.............

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

It would have been nice if you had listed the EM stuff here as well Tony as we aren't all going to the expo. It's way too far from where I am.

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

It would have been nice if you had listed the EM stuff here as well Tony as we aren't all going to the expo. It's way too far from where I am.

Regards Lez. 

A list of EM gauge GWR locos posted on previous page.  Hopefully this link is directly to the specific post:

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 26power said:

A list of EM gauge GWR locos posted on previous page.  Hopefully this link is directly to the specific post:

Thanks but not being a GW modeller GWR locos aren't of interest to me and I prefer to build/convert locos myself, I was hoping there might be some useful rolling stock other than locos.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez. 

Good morning Lez,

As 26 power has said, I did list the EM locomotives on here on Tuesday (three of which have already sold). 

It would be nice if I had the time to list every item of rolling stock (of which there are many), but, on the suggestion of an EM-modelling friend, where better a place to try and sell it than at an Expo EM event? It could well be, of course, that since most folk in EM are 'modellers' (thus, not RTR-reliant, and build things themselves - like you, with regard to locos) that any items will be difficult to shift. We'll see.............

I've mentioned before, Mo and I are not running a business. I was asked to sell all the items (a third of which are in OO, and many went at Loughborough). It would seem that Vic Halliwell is the builder (is/was he well-known in EM circles?), and 10% of all sales goes to CRUK. I assume (at least) 10% of what sells over the weekend goes to the EMGS as well? 

Distance and time? Too far for you, not enough for me.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

We have been down that road on a previous occassion. One person threw his toys out of his pram. so to speak, when he thought he should have been able to purchase an item that was bought by another person. Tony is doing people a big favour by making models available that would otherwise be sold of in bulk, or even worse, end up in a skip. This raises money for the owner and for cancer relief. It should be of no concern to others as to how Tony conducts this task. I am just pleased that I can get hold of the odd item that would otherwise not come my way. If other people benefit then good luck to them. If I miss something, then that is how it goes.

The world would be a worse place without the charitable action of people like Tony and the members on here who support his efforts. May it long continue.

Bernard 

Thanks Bernard,

Though my 'actions' are not entirely altruistic. I get first-refusal of any items I have for sale, and I also add to my model railway photographic library. The following examples of the latter being a case in point..........

These are from the collection of EM items of rolling stock going to Wakefield over this coming weekend.

40clerestory3rdDia.V6PBVhorsebox..jpg.5f88e7ff68c42276bce53e4a9a53051b.jpg

A 40' clerestory 3rd (etched-brass), a Dia. V6 four-wheeler (etched brass) and a horse box (D&S).

ClerestoryBrakeCompoDia.E26Brake3rd4-wheeledbrake3rd.jpg.88f6188f8dbc344bf70dc428729d6ec8.jpg

A clerestory brake compo (etched brass), 38' 6" brake third (etched brass) and a four-wheeled brake third Ratio). 

All of the above are very well-built and well-finished.

In case folk think I'm applying double standards by not presenting a list (due to time constraints), yet making time to take photographs, I've answered that by adding these to my library. 

Of course, there'll be a list at Expo, but another reason I'm 'holding back' as it were is that I'll take advice as to what sort of prices to ask. I got the price of one of the locos hopelessly under, largely because my estimation was based on previous experiences where EM locos/stock are much more difficult to sell. This was proven yet again at Loughborough where I couldn't sell several EM wagons (even at a price lower than the kit's parts) until I'd re-gauged them to OO, and even added tension-locks! This was at a 'general' show, of course, and, as mentioned, I should have much more success (or at least I hope so) with members selling EM items at an EM event (I'm just the courier!).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7

There was some talk of very old kits, I've got this iconic kit to assemble.  It's the 1982 version that possibly came from a deceased estate.  Not my scale or prototype, Ross bought it for his 4mm scale layout during our recent trip to the UK.  I've not assembled an etched brass kit for some time so this might be considered practice for a couple of local Victorian Railways prototype horse boxes.

Mark in Melbourne

IMG20230817170026.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Mark Laidlay said:

There was some talk of very old kits, I've got this iconic kit to assemble.  It's the 1982 version that possibly came from a deceased estate.  Not my scale or prototype, Ross bought it for his 4mm scale layout during our recent trip to the UK.  I've not assembled an etched brass kit for some time so this might be considered practice for a couple of local Victorian Railways prototype horse boxes.

Mark in Melbourne

IMG20230817170026.jpg

Interesting Mark,

Could that be the original George Allen etched kit for a footbridge, rebranded by Kemilway?

Regards,

Tony. 

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Interesting Mark,

Could that be the original George Allen etched kit for a footbridge, rebranded by Kemilway?

Regards,

Tony. 

Correct Tony. I built one maybe 12-13 years ago. I'd had it for maybe 20 years?

Andrew

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2023 at 23:21, JamesSpooner said:

I’m not sure about NPCCS not being painted brown but Stratford certainly continued painting ex GER coaches in brown through the 1950’s.  There are several colour photos demonstrating that in the various East Anglian colour albums and I attach one taken by RC Riley at Cambridge in 1958.  Not sure about copyright rules so please respect that.

Nigel

IMG_2406.jpeg

That reminds me.

Are there any 4mm kits available for ex GER carriages such as this?

Something similar, even in a similar colour scheme, ran on the Maldon branch in the 1950s. 

Bernard

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

That reminds me.

Are there any 4mm kits available for ex GER carriages such as this?

Something similar, even in a similar colour scheme, ran on the Maldon branch in the 1950s. 

Bernard

D&S, if you can get them, do complete kits. Worsley do a scratch aid (basic floorplan, sides and ends) and Mousa do similar but with more detailed floorplan and a resin printed roof is available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1