Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lee74clarke said:

Good Morning Tony

A quick search, and I found I asked you the same question on May 25th 2014! It was a BSO, FK, RU, and an FO.

Best Regards,

Lee

Thanks Lee,

It was over nine years ago, and my memory doesn't seem to go that far back any more!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

If you buy them to run on a layout then the packaging is rather irrelevant - other than for safe transport. However, this may be a further example of a product that is aimed at the collector market or to satisfy those who get the most pleasure out of buying and owning things.

Who will be first with an "unboxing video"? There's an opportunity for you, Tony.

Good morning Jol,

Can you imagine my participation in an 'unboxing video'? Needless to say, when we made the running video of the sets the other day, I'd already taken them out of the packaging. 

Unboxing videos? Do folk really needs these? 

Regards,

Tony.

P.S. I'll send you a PM with the pictures of the LRM D2 in it. Would you mind making sure John sees them, please? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jol,

Can you imagine my participation in an 'unboxing video'? Needless to say, when we made the running video of the sets the other day, I'd already taken them out of the packaging. 

Unboxing videos? Do folk really needs these? 

Regards,

Tony.

P.S. I'll send you a PM with the pictures of the LRM D2 in it. Would you mind making sure John sees them, please? 

Tony,

I imagine you would bring an interesting and innovative approach to an "unboxing video". The few that I have seen (purely for research, you understand) strike me as extremely amateurish and mind numbing. That there is even a "market" for them is remarkable.

Thanks for the D2 pictures. I'll forward to John immediately.

Jol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Totally OTT - if I bought them; (which I won't, having SP kits); the box would go in the bin.

Apart from anything else, I could store two or three times as many models in the space that box would occupy!

CJI.

If I was daft enough to spend £200 on three very simple Plain Coaches, the Box would always be kept otherwise no "Collector" would buy them in the future !!.

Perhaps r.t.r are using the OTT Boxes as a excuse/cover and even " a Carrot Dangling exercise " to put the prices up even more ??!!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, micklner said:

If I was daft enough to spend £200 on three very simple Plain Coaches, the Box would always be kept otherwise no "Collector" would buy them in the future !!.

Perhaps r.t.r are using the OTT Boxes as a excuse/cover and even " a Carrot Dangling exercise " to put the prices up even more ??!!

Each to their own - but, in my case, once the money is spent, it's gone.

Those that dispose of my models will get what they can for them, but I can't bring myself to worry how much (or little) that might be.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 2

7 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Ken Northwood of Torreyford fame (Modeller Oct 62 et al) built and ran several Sayer kits. Just to show how old they are, his modified hall from Sayer Chapman parts won an award at the Model Railway Engineering Exhibition in 1953. It had a Pitman motor, in the tender, driving the loco via Graham Farish UV joints so he could fill the loco with lead to haul the less than free running stock of the time.

Mike Wiltshire

Having taken a very roundabout route the remaining locos and stock from Ken Northwoods North Devonshire Railway now reside in several boxes under my layout in my railway shed.  Amongst them is the award winning Sayer Chaplin Modified Hall but sadly it has suffered over the years and is now in a sorry state.  There is also a 14xx 0-4-2T - also built from Sayer Chaplin parts - and this is rather more presentable but both engines really are products of their time.  As a young teenager I drooled over the NDR when it appeared in Railway Modeller in the 1960s and could only dream of having models such as these.  Another of the locos in the collection is what was termed an 'Outside Frame Dean Goods' built from a Ks kit and this really was an object of desire to me at the time - John Harrisons Torpoint layout also had one and was another influential layout.  But whilst they were probably state of the art when built in the 50s and 60s these locos really are just curiosities these days and they will find no place on my own layout. The same also goes for the coaches which are mostly Exleys and whilst highly desirable at the time now don't cut the mustard.

Gerry

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Having taken a very roundabout route the remaining locos and stock from Ken Northwoods North Devonshire Railway now reside in several boxes under my layout in my railway shed.  Amongst them is the award winning Sayer Chaplin Modified Hall but sadly it has suffered over the years and is now in a sorry state.  There is also a 14xx 0-4-2T - also built from Sayer Chaplin parts - and this is rather more presentable but both engines really are products of their time.  As a young teenager I drooled over the NDR when it appeared in Railway Modeller in the 1960s and could only dream of having models such as these.  Another of the locos in the collection is what was termed an 'Outside Frame Dean Goods' built from a Ks kit and this really was an object of desire to me at the time - John Harrisons Torpoint layout also had one and was another influential layout.  But whilst they were probably state of the art when built in the 50s and 60s these locos really are just curiosities these days and they will find no place on my own layout. The same also goes for the coaches which are mostly Exleys and whilst highly desirable at the time now don't cut the mustard.

Gerry

Beatles or Stones? Mods or Rockers? Walls or Lyons Maid? North Devonshire or Little Western?

I always preferred the North Devonshire because although the Little Western was probably more accurate, the NDR always seemed more real (my first encounter with the realism/authenticity paradox, I suppose).

Incidentally, our house in Edinburgh was only about a mile from Ken's. I didn't find this out until later, after he'd retired and moved...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, MJI said:

Duplication of the car carriers.

Yet no one appears to want to tackle a cross country DMU.

Have you seen the current price of MUs?

You'd have to be very confident of a very well-heeled potential market for a Cross-country DMU before committing to such a project.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Didn't Bachmann say they were going to do the 5 car Trans Pennine 124 class? I'm sure they did. If they do it will be north of the price for the Midland Pullman that's for sure.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Gerry

Good afternoon Gerry,

Years ago, I had the chance to photograph part of Ken Northwood's Torryford Station, but it was in such a sorry state that I declined. In the truest sense, it was rather sad - not just the deterioration down the years, but the fact that it was rather 'basic' in its modelling. I recall being very impressed with the layout's appearance in the MRC, but, long after the eyes of youth had ceased to be quite so seduced, I was rather disappointed.

If my memory serves, there was a 'King' also present. I was astonished to learn it had a Graham Farish body, and I rather expected more. 

You mention the Exleys. Yes, very-desirable all those years ago, but weren't they just LMS carriages painted chocolate and cream? 

Sometimes it's best to remember 'influential' layouts from the past through younger eyes and in reproduction which was little more than 'soot and whitewash'.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
clumsy grammar
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

i understand the need to protect items during shipping, but I don't like the trend toward lavish, bulky packaging that seems to be increasingly the norm with model railway products.

It's so that the manufacturers can fill a shipping container without going over the weight limits. 

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The few that I have seen (purely for research, you understand) strike me as extremely amateurish and mind numbing.

This one especially, but stick with it to the end.

https://youtu.be/72UG18dubLo

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

Duplication of the car carriers.

Yet no one appears to want to tackle a cross country DMU.

I'd definitely be in the market for a Class 119, 120 or 123.... actually, that should say and, not or. So that's 2 of us at least.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

I'd definitely be in the market for a Class 119, 120 or 123.... actually, that should say and, not or. So that's 2 of us at least.

Not me any more

Most pictures lost when server crashed and that phone melted.

863062359_2021-05-2216_08_55.jpg.4a519f77931329e4ce3c1af6932f6597.jpg747548141_2021-05-2216_10_14.jpg.da2091ecbd8d92fe9383a7d042452286.jpgP1170113.JPG.d06046be9db482db7256522d9f92b1a8.JPG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Geep7 said:

There are lots of pros and cons about RTR manufacturers producing ours/yours/my favorite DMU. One of them being the appeal to the customers, if they can afford it.

A few years ago I had a chat with Charlie form DC models and tried to convince him to make a class 104, BRCW, low density, BUT engined units. He said that he wasn't sure if there was a market for them. I did say that my mate and I would like one. "Oh that is two sold" was his reply. "No me and my mate would like one". 🙃

The forth coming Heljan 104 does look quite good I wonder what the sales would be like?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There are lots of pros and cons about RTR manufacturers producing ours/yours/my favorite DMU. One of them being the appeal to the customers, if they can afford it.

A few years ago I had a chat with Charlie form DC models and tried to convince him to make a class 104, BRCW, low density, BUT engined units. He said that he wasn't sure if there was a market for them. I did say that my mate and I would like one. "Oh that is two sold" was his reply. "No me and my mate would like one". 🙃

The forth coming Heljan 104 does look quite good I wonder what the sales would be like?

More that there have been High Density - Lima, 101 a few, low density a few, but no cross county

So I made my own 120 and 119

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would add the Class 124 Transpennine in the cross country DMU category. Not much change since my previous post on my build. A bit of glazing, and few first class transfers added inside, now the joy of adding curtains to come.

CL124TP_152.jpg

Looking at the cost of the Bachman Blue Pullman, a six car DMU would certainly be a hefty outlay for many modellers, so I can understand the reticence of the RTR manufacturers. DMUs by their nature of usually being short haul trains quite based around certain localities, so it isn’t like an express locomotive something that would pass from one region to another, or a BR Standard loco which was assigned to many different areas.

Perhaps we should instate ‘law 2’, if you build one, a RTR manufacturer will release on 18 months later.

I love the joy of building stock, but there is also something special about having something that cannot be just taken out of a box, as Tony Wright has said many times about ownership of stock you build yourself.

While talking about builds, I have a couple of questions for the thread.

Do people add extra weight to a coach (or DMU unit) with a brass chassis and body? The roof and ends in my build are Replica Railways MK1 plastic coaches, so slightly lighter than say a full Comet kit coach.

I am planning to use one High Level Kits ‘Low Rider’ bogie to power a 6 car DMU set of mostly brass build (as above), is that likely to be enough on layout without any inclines?

Also, in a 6 car unit, how many units would people recommend having pick up current from the track. I am planning both bogies on the drive unit, one of the two middle ones, but could run some pickups and power through from other units. This question might just be the inverse of how good is the writing on your layout I know.

Any advice would gratefully appreciated.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, micklner said:

Good afternoon Mick,

It's true that, for a correct 'Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier' rake then some £400.00 would have to be spent, not to mention the provision of the necessary quartet of Mk.1 passenger-carrying coaches to complete the whole ten-car ensemble. At just over £65.00 each, they're not cheap, but in line with other RTR bogie vehicles. 

I have to say, I find your assertion that 'very simple Plain Coaches' doesn't accurately describes these vehicles. Very often, the simplest forms (in terms of subtleties) are the most difficult to capture, and the car carriers' subtleties (of which there are many) are beautifully-captured, especially the body-shape in end-profile. Having spent hours forming 'correct' tumblehomes (not always successfully), I'd struggle to capture all six cars having exactly the same overall shape. 'Plain' is often the most difficult feature to capture. 

The ends are certainly not 'simple' in the generally-accepted sense, with a myriad of projections, brackets, links, handrails, hoses and conduits. Yet, they're perfectly-modelled. 

As always, you pays your money and you takes your choice, 'daft' or otherwise.

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter10.jpg.86fa0b3dd7d3c485ad1fb2d2b4cd69eb.jpg

Uniformity in a rake is very difficult to achieve, yet it's been managed here - perfectly. There's a cost to that.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

On 29/07/2023 at 09:15, LNER4479 said:

All I can say is that the day I had a ride behind 'Deltic 9', it had an exhaust fire down your end of the ECML. It somehow seemed to survive the experience and duly pitched up at York (where I was due to board) some 45mins late. The scenes of rejoicing on Waverley platform amongst the support crew when we eventually arrived was like they'd made it to the moon.

Tornado took over for the run back south (the real reason I was there), which it accomplished all the way back to 'The Cross' without the slightest fuss or bother.

All that being said, I know how much goes into these things so, for the sake of all the unsung lads and lassies involved, I sincerely hope it shows up on time and everyone is having a grand day out.

I was in the rear coach of the train. From what we were told the Deltic had been idling for some time before it came empty stock into KX and stood there for a while. Oil vapour had accumulated in the exhauster? We were on the down main local to Stevenage and came to an abrupt stop.

P1030036.JPG.c6a5deaefabfb378f09b73ba86a325b2.JPG

You could see flames coming out of one of the exhausts followed by a creamy colour which looked like some extinguisher system was being used, but the faulty engine was shut down and then restarted. We soon realised that the way to put the fire out was to put the regulator into full throttle while standing still and blow it out. After this little event the loco seemed to fly, the diesel enthusiasts in the coach must have been monitoring the speed because there was a round of applause every time the Deltic topped the ton. There was a slight hick-up at Doncaster when some modern day electronics wouldn't talk to control. This eventually got sorted out and I know we arrived in Waverley a couple of hours late, but enough time to visit the Guilford Arms.

Tornado was quite impressive on the way back. We arrived at Stevenage too late to go straight down the ECML because of a possession on the line, so we were diverted down the Hertford loop at Langley junction, although on greens there was rapid deceleration for a phone call. I think probably to check that Tornado was passed for going down the loop and through Ponsbourne tunnel. From memory we arrived in KX at 01:15. A cracking day(s) out.

P1030043.JPG.88d63cf996b994c93d75d050ae136e0a.JPG

• Like 18

43 minutes ago, 60526 said:

I was in the rear coach of the train. [cut] From memory we arrived in KX at 01:15. A cracking day(s) out.

Thanks. Here are some pix of mine:

CIMG4634.JPG.f368bc7b0cb4b3a796c11391601ae2f1.JPG

We boarded at York, affording this photo opportunity.

CIMG4648.JPG.a57b6ab408db2ec1e2c71b24c6b4f81d.JPG

One of my Edinburgh arrival pictures - looks like you could be on my photo?

CIMG4660.JPG.e995440ba87ca844bde48fee9560e5ff.JPG

01:15 not the best time of day for photography but ... for the record!

I think we touched 100mph (or very close) in the Cramlington area. And was fortunate enough to be on Tornado's 2017 100mph test run so can therefore claim the 'ton' behind both these very different machines in the preservation era. That'll do me.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

A quick Google suggests the Heljan Car Transporters will only(?) be sold as a set of three, around £200.

Good.

That's far too far out of my price range to be tempted into buying something that is out of period and region for my usual interests!  It also means that they won't be appearing on every second layout in the magazines and at exhibitions in the next year.  I agree with @Jol Wilkinson though, the packaging indicates an aim towards collectors rather than modellers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jamiel said:

I would add the Class 124 Transpennine in the cross country DMU category. Not much change since my previous post on my build. A bit of glazing, and few first class transfers added inside, now the joy of adding curtains to come.

CL124TP_152.jpg

Looking at the cost of the Bachman Blue Pullman, a six car DMU would certainly be a hefty outlay for many modellers, so I can understand the reticence of the RTR manufacturers. DMUs by their nature of usually being short haul trains quite based around certain localities, so it isn’t like an express locomotive something that would pass from one region to another, or a BR Standard loco which was assigned to many different areas.

Perhaps we should instate ‘law 2’, if you build one, a RTR manufacturer will release on 18 months later.

I love the joy of building stock, but there is also something special about having something that cannot be just taken out of a box, as Tony Wright has said many times about ownership of stock you build yourself.

While talking about builds, I have a couple of questions for the thread.

Do people add extra weight to a coach (or DMU unit) with a brass chassis and body? The roof and ends in my build are Replica Railways MK1 plastic coaches, so slightly lighter than say a full Comet kit coach.

I am planning to use one High Level Kits ‘Low Rider’ bogie to power a 6 car DMU set of mostly brass build (as above), is that likely to be enough on layout with any inclines?

Also, in a 6 car unit, how many units would people recommend having pick up current from the track. I am planning both bogies on the drive unit, one of the two middle ones, but could run some pickups and power through from other units. This question might just be the inverse of how good is the writing on your layout I know.

Any advice would gratefully appreciated.

Jamie

No too much for one, use two, possibly three.

Pickups as many as possible.

Weight no extra needed, unless very light.

My early Swindon IC set is getting 2 one in each IDMBSL. And that is mainly plasticard

Edited by MJI
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1