Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

And no smokebox! Also no blastpipe, blower etc.

There is a sort of smokebox, or at least a door, though the throatplate is way too far forwards.

There isn't the horizontal fitting for the dart to turn in, either.

Which means, as I've said before, why bother? Internal detail like that (which is incorrect, anyway) must add considerably to the cost.

With Golden Age seemingly having disappeared, I wonder what that A4 might be worth now? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Ok if you don't accept the Autobahn as a valid reason for stupidly fast cars I raise you the nordschleife circuit at the Nürburgring. You pay per lap. Look up something called YouTube corner for the greatest videos of idiots crashing their own cars on a circuit so dangerous that it was dropped from F1 for being too dangerous. It's worth looking up as there is endless hours of entertainment just waiting for you and before you ask yes I have (been round it) and no I didn't (crash) although I did have a bit of a code brown my first go at YouTube corner as it's quite deceptive and the accident starts at the exit of the previous corner. Even though I had put in about a hundred hours on a simulator it still nearly caught me out, as I said it's quite deceptive.

Regards Lez. 

I suspect very few people with very fast vehicles would consider the Autobahn as a justification.  It isn't about the tops peed, much more about how quickly it will get up to a given speed (and maintain it through corners).  I've had some pretty quick cross-country rides on a motorbike where I barely exceeded 70.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

The problem is that you confuse need and want.

Throughout most of Europe the maximum speed limit on public roads is 130kph or less.  With a few exceptions then there is no need for  a car that goes faster.  So please explain Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus, Lamborghini a whole raft of standard production cars and a host of others.

Fat wallets and small willies. ☠️

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

A further note: Having read the earlier assertions that the added cost due to incorporation of un-seen detail in an RTR model is now "negligible" or "insignificant", isn't that very much a matter of opinion? Irrespective of my willingness or otherwise to put un-necessary extra time and cost into models that I make for myself, as a potential customer for commercial products, any un-necessary extra cost is to me definitely significant, and cannot be described as negligible. It may be handy for a manufacturer who can make extra profit from an "enhanced" product to claim that the additional attributable cost is "negligible" or well worthwhile, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is so...

I object equally to the fact that even those of us with absolutely no need of, and no intention of using DCC and sound, now have to pay the significant extra cost of locos being manufactured with additional wiring, circuit boards and strange internal configurations purely to facilitate the fitting of digital gizmos, often with the added detriment of compromised visible features and both motor and weight in non-ideal positions.

The point is they will still be the same price if you left all the gubbins and extra detail out. 

That's why you are getting moans that older and less detailed models are the same prices as the new "super detailed" ones. They cost the same to make.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Fat wallets and small willies. ☠️

SWMBO is not covered by either of those categories.

But she does like to drive at 250kmph on the Autobahn between Berlin and Leipzig. Strict speed  limits around Berlin but unrestricted further south.

Benard

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

25 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The point is they will still be the same price if you left all the gubbins and extra detail out. 

Simply cannot be true. All extra time and all extra effort cost money. Of course, if that goes towards incorporating something that you want, largely at somebody else's expense, then you will argue that it costs nothing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Ok if you don't accept the Autobahn as a valid reason for stupidly fast cars I raise you the nordschleife circuit at the Nürburgring. You pay per lap. Look up something called YouTube corner for the greatest videos of idiots crashing their own cars on a circuit so dangerous that it was dropped from F1 for being too dangerous. It's worth looking up as there is endless hours of entertainment just waiting for you and before you ask yes I have (been round it) and no I didn't (crash) although I did have a bit of a code brown my first go at YouTube corner as it's quite deceptive and the accident starts at the exit of the previous corner. Even though I had put in about a hundred hours on a simulator it still nearly caught me out, as I said it's quite deceptive.

Regards Lez. 

So just to choose one car, how many of the 2.4m Mercedes C class - top speed up to 280kph - have been to a track day at Nuerburgring, Spa, or any of the other hundreds of circuits that allow those with a need for speed?

But I think we are now way off WW and should revert to modelling.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's why you are getting moans that older and less detailed models are the same prices as the new "super detailed" ones. They cost the same to make.

Jason

Good evening Jason,

Returning to that Golden Age A4, it cost me extra to have all the DCC stuff taken out! So leaving out all those gubbins was actually more expensive. 

Weird, or what? 

I'm with Graeme King on this one. Those who have no need of (nor want) DCC, have to pay for it in one form or another, whatever the make of RTR loco. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Simply cannot be true. All extra time and all extra effort cost money. Of course, if that goes towards incorporating something that you want, largely at somebody else's expense, then you will argue that it costs nothing.

It is though. One of the manufacturers has even posted so on this thread!

You do know who "McC" is I take it?

Why do you think a Hornby locomotive from 1980ish that has had hardly any improvements apart from minor ones costs £189.99 RRP

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lms-fowler-4p-2-6-4t-2300-big-four-centenary-collection-era-3-r30271

Yet a brand new Hornby A1 costs just a few pounds more?

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-class-a1-4-6-2-4478-hermit-big-four-centenary-collection-era-3-r30270

It's the way the suppliers work I'm afraid. It's like a restaurant, they have a set price. If you don't want chips with your meal you are still paying the same price.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

So the extra design, tooling and finishing time costs nothing?

Rubbish - opportunist suppliers use the price precedent of expensive new, high spec. models to charge silly prices for basic, development paid-for, old design models.

If I've learned one thing in seven-and-a-half decades, it's that nothing costs nothing!

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

If I've learned one thing in seven-and-a-half decades, it's that nothing costs nothing!

CJI 

No, it doesn't, but some things cost less than the benefit they confer to sales...

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to clear up the screw coupling point.

UK steam era.

uk.jpg.8cae69882a8d999ddbdf69e3600e8222.jpg

UIC and modern UK.

cont.jpg.ba111125f3be732d0bc895ff48c0be8b.jpg

The GA A4 appears to me to be wrong. Not the only error it would seem. At the price asked I would expect a lot better. 

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Economies of scale - the RTR manufacturers being discussed don't do small runs. Say, for example, it costs £5k more on design and tooling to turn a regular (railroad?) spec model into a premium model, and an extra £4 on materials and assembly - but you sell 5,000 units - each unit has gone up £5 but the retail price difference between a Railroad Cl47 and a Railroad Plus Cl47 is about £30. Totally figures plucked out the air but hopefully it makes sense?

Buyers feel like they are getting a better model for £30 more - and the manufacturer is making more per unit.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

With all this talk of RTR prices, isn't it gratifying to be one of a (diminishing?) band of modellers who isn't RTR-reliant?

I'm not suggesting kits haven't gone up, but the difference in prices is getting closer. Not only that, members of that merry band can please themselves how much detail (or not) they put on their models, whether it can be seen or not.

By the way, I don't know who 'McC' is either, though I'm glad he (or she?) has posted on here. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

By the way, I don't know who 'McC' is either, though I'm glad he (or she?) has posted on here. 

One of the directors of  Accurascale whose Deltic you very highly rate. Has lit cab dials you know yet is only £169 in DC form :)

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

I have a slightly different starting point when considering the “high fidelity” rolling stock offered by Accurascale and others.  The late Iain Rice in his 1993 book on plastic wagon kits put it better than I probably could. He poses the question whether each item of rolling stock on one’s layout is “to be to a prize winning standard” in its own right or to be part of the goods stock of the layout. If the latter, one of his main requirements is that it blends in with the setting and the rest of the stock. Nothing, he writes, makes an OK wagon look less than OK than being marshalled next to one “with all the bells and whistles”.

All the rolling stock on my modest layout is either kit-built or has been “personalised” in some way – detailed, repainted and weathered. Many vehicles are modelled from photographs of individual wagons.  Certainly none are to “museum standard”. So my questions when considering a new release from a manufacturer will be: (1) is it a good fit for my layout’s location and period; (2) can I ensure that it “blends in” with the rest of the rolling stock; and (3) am I prepared to pay the asking price?

(Note that I haven’t asked whether I need the item. None of us “needs” a model railway.)

The first question can usually be answered without too much agonising.  Answering “yes” to the second usually means that, at the least, weathering is required. (Some might regard this as bringing the new wagon “down” to my standards. But each to their own.) And answering the third will probably depend on my mood and sense of affluence at the time.

Personally, I greatly admire the extraordinary fidelity of these new releases, whether or not the detail can be seen. Do I resent the price margin (whatever it is or even if there is any) that this extra detail has added?  Not particularly. In fact the price problem seems to lie with older models and new releases of old mouldings coat-tailing in price on the newer models. But detail which is invisible (Rice’s “bells and whistles”?) when the wagon or van trundles by doesn’t figure in the three questions above and will have no influence on my decision whether or not to buy. I will look at the price as if it were for a goods vehicle with no hidden detail. As others have pointed out, if the items sell at the prices asked by the manufacturers, then the manufacturers are acting as sensible commercial organisations should. When and if buyer resistance increases and demand falls away, then prices may stabilise.

All that said, I am fortunate not to be dependent on RTR products.  In the last three years I have bought two Bachmann LMS brake vans and two Bachmann ex-LNWR Coal Tanks, one of which has been fitted with home-brewed auto-train vacuum gear.  I prefer to wrestle with kits and occasional modifications to second-hand RTR.  I don’t regard that as a more virtuous or morally superior form of railway modelling.  I just get more satisfaction, eventually(!), from it. If others derive satisfaction from the possession, display and operation of pristine examples of these high fidelity models, then good on them I say.

Edited by MikeCW
Grammar and clarification
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MikeCW said:

I have a slightly different starting point when considering the “high fidelity” rolling stock offered by Accurascale and others.  The late Iain Rice in his 1993 book on plastic wagon kits put it better than I probably could. He poses the question whether each item of rolling stock on one’s layout is “to be to a prize winning standard” in its own right or to be part of the goods stock of the layout. If the latter, one of his main requirements is that they blend in with the setting and the rest of the stock. Nothing, he writes, makes an OK wagon look less than OK than being marshalled next to one “with all the bells and whistles”.

A very clear summary of the meaning of "layout loco/coach/wagon".

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, McC said:

Indeed run 1 was only £160 :)

I’m the Managing Director of accurascale and irish railway models. My apologies if my signature didn’t give it away :)

My general point is that a wagon at £40 from some suppliers versus one from

us, say, at £20 odd doesn’t infer relative quality any more and the £20 wagon might have 130 parts versus the £40 wagon with 50 and poorer painting and printing. It’s a tough time to be a consumer but a wealth of choice and competition is great for the hobby and one of the core reasons accurascale was established. From our point of view we’re entering a golden age. 

You are writing to Railway Moddellers. Most of them, me included, do not read instructions. Don't expect people to get as far as reading signatures.😃

Bernard

• Funny 19

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, McC said:

My apologies if my signature didn’t give it away :)

The forum view I use doesn't show signatures at all, so I and others making a similar viewing choice would not see that. That's not a criticism or accusation of subterfuge, just an observation as to why we missed your declaration.

Alan

• Like 2

• Accurascale staff
11 minutes ago, Buhar said:

The forum view I use doesn't show signatures at all, so I and others making a similar viewing choice would not see that. That's not a criticism or accusation of subterfuge, just an observation as to why we missed your declaration.

Alan

Aha! That i did not

know and it’s good to do so. Thank you Alan!

• Like 2