Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Increasingly people prefer to indulge in wish lists or polls, rather than making the effort to create what they want.

Hello Jol 

Some statistical evidence would be welcome.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Spurred on by Jol's comment above, I took at look at the Forums page. This is what I found...

Products & Trade Area (mainly RTR makers): 661,000 posts

Cake Box Challenge: 6,000 posts

Layout & Workbench Content: 813,000 posts

Scale Specific: 163,000 posts

Skills & Knowledge Centre: 467,000 posts

Modelling, Musings & Miscellany: 243,000 posts

Modeller Blogs: 455,000 posts

In broad terms, that's over 2 million mainly 'modelling' posts compared to the 661,000 of the mainly RTR ones.

The 00 Wishlist Poll runs in alternate years with The Quirky Poll

I know of maybe two polls that have been open for a while, run by Neal Ball on GWR subjects. At the request of two RMweb thread leaders, I and some members of The Poll Team ran some specific Mini-Polls for them in 2021.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Jol 

Brian

Brian,

surely you have the answer to that in the number of members who partake in your annual poll?

On a subjective level, it does appear that people very quickly express their desires in new product topics, where the announced model is wanted in different variation a, liveries or numbers and rolling stock to match it is wanted. The Accuracraft J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’,  topic is just one example.

There is a tremendous amount of prototype knowledge shown on RMweb, possibly one benefit the internet, which highlights the variation that  any particular model could be produced in. Perhaps that is what also drives wishes/demands for variations, etc.

Your more recent post showing the various numbers of posts in the different RMweb sections is a good example of statistics  hiding reality. A look at Motors and Drive systems shows an almost total concentration on fixing problems with RTR products. So is that relevant to RTR  items or modelling? The latter, in my view, is where someone creates something though building a kit, kit bashing, modifying (not just repairing) a RTR  item, scratch building, etc. Likewise Modelling Musing and Miscellany, whilst the name includes modelling, often includes topics which are not actually related to making models, so again not a realistic comparison. It includes Obituaries and of course, your annual poll about what people would like the RTR manufacturers to produce. What is it that is said about statistics?

Jol

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, john new said:

Fully concur with “the can do” approach. I use a different approach to weathering than most people which I am happy these days to demonstrate, my early examples were poorly done, but they have lasted to prove the longevity of the finish. (The crane for example was done in the mid-1990s.)  My eye and feel for the subject is improving with each one I do and I hope to tempt people to have a go.

copy IMG_1128.jpg

Hi John

How has that 1/4 ton Rover got so dirty just driving around the dockyard? 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jol

I am fully aware of 'statistics' and 'non-statistics' and you will notice that I used the adverbs 'broadly' and 'mainly' in my notes to (hopefully) highlight the fact that I wasn't actually presenting statistics per se.

The point is taken that some forum topics will 'hide' some matters, but - equally - there are many RTR threads where people discuss models they have made. A quick look at Modelling & Musings shows a high number of modelling posts in relation to others. 

The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 had 1695 voters - down from the roughly 2500 that we had traditionally attracted (possibly due in part to us not sending out loads of Press Releases due to home time constraints). The lower number of voters did not seem to affect the overall results as they have stayed broadly (that word again!) in context over the years, given that items come out and others go in.

The Quirky Poll has been fairly consistent at just under 500 voters.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 20/05/2023 at 23:13, billbedford said:

Have you checked these transfers against a green background? Your eye can play funny tricks on us when it comes to colours.

Yeah, sorry they are miles different.

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

How has that 1/4 ton Rover got so dirty just driving around the dockyard? 

In and out of one of the the quarries.  The Provost did regular round the Island trips chasing miscreants. Even several unsurfaced tracks in what was the FOST zone for the old Thursday war. From memory that is the one I did to potentially sit in Mick Bonwick’s Easton; the station yard was gravelled. I did a printable Provost head board based on an on-line image.

Edited by john new
Badly typed.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

The 00 Wishlist Poll runs in alternate years with The Quirky Poll

I know of maybe two polls that have been open for a while, run by Neal Ball on GWR subjects. At the request of two RMweb thread leaders, I and some members of The Poll Team ran some specific Mini-Polls for them in 2021.

Brian

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Jol 

Brian

Perhaps what would be interesting is how many people would respond to a 00 RTR Wishlist Poll and how many to a 00 Loco/Rolling Stock Kit Wishlist Poll

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

I entirely agree with your last sentence (and the rest).

I've bought metal kits at swap-meets for very little.

Often, as well, improved models of RTR origin cost less than those untouched and still in their boxes.

Regards,

Tony. 

Worked on and repainted a lot less than mass produced so called limited editions.

I may have denied a Lima collector a couple of 47s.

They will be detailed up and appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

KsEarl.jpg.13b8fa45099822e7cb4ff9507e77d78f.jpg

An old K's Earl (though not with K's mechanics), bought by Sandra Orpen at the Orpington Show for a mere £35.00! It ran well.

You've demoted the poor old fellow, Tony - he's a Duke.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You've demoted the poor old fellow, Tony - he's a Duke.

Thanks John,

Sandra did tell me what it was, but then, as usual, I got muddled, and forgot! I've now corrected it.

My knowledge of GWR motive power is patchy at best, even though I saw hundreds of examples at Chester, Wrexham, Shrewsbury and Crewe, though never an outside-framed 4-4-0 (other than CITY OF TRURO on a railtour). Duke, Earl, Bulldog, Dukedog, Bird...... Are they some of the types? Are there others?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Dad got up early to photograph Sir Nigel on a running in turn (Preston to Crewe) back then. Here she (he ?) is at Wigan North Western platform 1.

WIGANNWA44498SIRNIGELGRESLEYONASBDPARCELSTRAINPLAT1ND.jpg.69632c97d1157e040d865d431501e20a.jpg

Brit15

I’ve followed this thread for a number of years but never contributed as my modelling activities are stalled for various reasons - mainly classic bike restorations and heritage railway activities.

Here is Triggers broom 56 years later residing at Bishops Lydeard for the summer season of South West LSL main line excursions.

Tongue in cheek, the Sir Nigel/he/she conundrum fits in well with the current PC debate, maybe male named locos should now be Them?

IMG_4901.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sayajirao said:

I’ve followed this thread for a number of years but never contributed as my modelling activities are stalled for various reasons - mainly classic bike restorations and heritage railway activities.

Here is Triggers broom 56 years later residing at Bishops Lydeard for the summer season of South West LSL main line excursions.

Tongue in cheek, the Sir Nigel/he/she conundrum fits in well with the current PC debate, maybe male named locos should now be Them?

IMG_4901.jpeg

It.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks John,

Sandra did tell me what it was, but then, as usual, I got muddled, and forgot! I've now corrected it.

My knowledge of GWR motive power is patchy at best, even though I saw hundreds of examples at Chester, Wrexham, Shrewsbury and Crewe, though never an outside-framed 4-4-0 (other than CITY OF TRURO on a railtour). Duke, Earl, Bulldog, Dukedog, Bird...... Are they some of the types? Are there others?

Regards,

Tony. 

They are VERY confusing, easiest to label as CIty or Truro or NOT City of Truro.

Much easier to understand the GWR 4-6-0 locos (I like Halls and Castles).

• Funny 4

Thanks John,

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony, 

Thanks for the LB running day yesterday, I really enjoyed it and thank Mo for the lovely lunch.

GWR outside frame locomotives are a bit of a minefield. There are basically two types of passenger 4-4-0s, ones with 5’ 8” wheels and those with 6’ 8” wheels. The principle 5’ 8” engines were the Dukes and the Bulldogs. The Dukes had parallel boilers and curved frames and the Bulldogs had taper boilers and straight frames apart from the early ones which had taper boilers and curved frames. The Dukedog were of course an amalgamation of Duke boiler and Bulldog frames. The Dukedogs were named after Earls but apparently the noble gentlemen objected to their names being carried on such small elderly looking locomotives and so the names were transferred to the Castle class. So a Dukedog is the same as an Earl. A Bird is a Bulldog wither deeper frames as all these outside framers were prone to frame cracking.

I realise that I have waffled on long enough but I would mention that the 6’ 8” engines were the Badminton’s, Atbaras, Cities, Flowers and the Armstrong. In reality the history of these locomotives is more complicated but it would take a book to describe them all and I haven’t mentioned the other outside framers the 3521 class, the Barnums. The Krugers, or the Aberdares.

I do have a soft spot for these locomotives and I’ve fancied building a model on which they could run. I think they’re more interesting that later GWR locomotives which do all rather look the same. I do like the fact that locomotives with outside frames are still with us in the form of the 08s, although I’m not sure how many are now left.

Sandra

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I cannot imagine a greater aid to 'realism' than weathering.

Totally agree Tony. Even ex works loco's had (at least) grubby footprints on the running plate and water stains on the smokebox etc..

Hope you don't mind Tony, my DJH economy build B16/1 (£50 for the kit and seconhand wheels + £70 for motor/gearbox) look was improved no end after weathering. Covers up all my errors...

IMG_7678.JPG.0caee7d37890e117ce35ccb6778e7d36.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 19