Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

35 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

It worked fine in the centre.

Not according to previous post re the Roadrunner, all the gearboxes I have built have a offset screw, hence my comment. That is not offset to one side.

image.png.83fda0fbb99f7e77581d2b92bc181907.png

Edited by micklner
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It is off-centre.

What it means is that one must be careful to orientate the slot so it's beneath the boss in the gear wheel. 

2 minutes ago, micklner said:

Not according to previous post re the Roadrunner, all the gearboxes I have built have a offset screw, hence my comment.

The slot looks as though it's in the centre on this photo:

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/00slotaxle/

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The slot looks as though it's in the centre on this photo:

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wheels/00slotaxle/

The slot is, but the deeper part of the recess within it, into which the grub screw is presumably intended to go, is offset to one end.

Which way round the axle is installed in the chassis will therefore make a difference if there is an offset in the gear-set.

I only became aware of these three posts up but am rather pleased to see the revision.

John

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Andrew does have a note on the axle page

Please note that this item might not be restocked, as Markits may be switching production wholly to the slotted type (our code 00SLOTAXLE).

I purchased 10 of the slotted ones a couple of weeks ago, very handy for the grub screw on a high level box. 

My bad - it was my order for Markits' standard crankpins that couldn't be fulfilled - sorry for the confusion.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

The slot is, but the deeper part of the recess within it, into which the grub screw is presumably intended to go, is offset to one end.

So what's the rest of the slot for?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Which way round the axle is installed in the chassis will therefore make a difference if there is an offset in the gear-set.

I only became aware of these three posts up but am rather pleased to see the revision.

John

Markits produce their own range of gears and gearboxes, so it would be logical if the slot matched their brass final drive gear.

I have measured an example of a new Markits gear. The gear retaining screw in the boss is 2.85mm offset from the centreline of the machined teeth. Does the slot match that, presuming that the gear teeth should should be in the centre of the axle?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, micklner said:

Not according to previous post re the Roadrunner, all the gearboxes I have built have a offset screw, hence my comment. That is not offset to one side.

image.png.83fda0fbb99f7e77581d2b92bc181907.png

Thanks for that, Mick.

How very odd..............

Romfordslottedaxle.jpg.83ab35045193bd677d843dd488f9fb86.jpg

As recently received from Markits.

Definitely offset slot.

I find these a great boon; no longer the need for filing a flat on the axle, and the grubscrew now goes fully-home, with no risk of fracturing the slot in it. As I say, it does mean the the axle has to be correctly-orientated. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Afternoon all…

I’ve just started my first LRM kit and I’ve fallen at the first hurdle! I’ve never built a compensating tender chassis, but am I right in thinking that 1.3 says that I need to cut out the front two axle ‘squares’ in the leading two axles?

cheers!8721A5A0-FD05-4EA6-9928-1CAF040ED1AC.jpeg.2b4f5ed0664bb02cc2d2fe44d6906ed2.jpeg

77462221-760B-4A33-B398-D6BB5B4F5BEB.jpeg.89661e5b6bed0878c39c713512f68bc6.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Afternoon all…

I’ve just started my first LRM kit and I’ve fallen at the first hurdle! I’ve never built a compensating tender chassis, but am I right in thinking that 1.3 says that I need to cut out the front two axle ‘squares’ in the leading two axles?

cheers!8721A5A0-FD05-4EA6-9928-1CAF040ED1AC.jpeg.2b4f5ed0664bb02cc2d2fe44d6906ed2.jpeg

Yes. You need to cut these out and fit guides that will slide in the slots to give you the required vertical movement. The other axle is fixed. I would suggest reading a book such as by Ian Rice on the subject before youu go too far.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Yes. You need to cut these out and fit guides that will slide in the slots to give you the required vertical movement. The other axle is fixed. I would suggest reading a book such as by Ian Rice on the subject before youu go too far.

Bernard

Thanks Bernard,

Are compensating chassis a ‘must’, or can I just leave the squares in and solder the wheels bearings into them on all 3 axles?

I’ve got most of Iain’s books on loco construction, however being dyslexic I don’t absorb words well and much prefer exploded diagrams, one of the reasons why I’ve gone for LRM!

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for that, Mick.

How very odd..............

Romfordslottedaxle.jpg.83ab35045193bd677d843dd488f9fb86.jpg

As recently received from Markits.

Definitely offset slot.

I find these a great boon; no longer the need for filing a flat on the axle, and the grubscrew now goes fully-home, with no risk of fracturing the slot in it. As I say, it does mean the the axle has to be correctly-orientated. 

Regards,

Tony. 

This was mentioned about a year ago on here.

Perhaps he has modified them after those postings. Wizard may/will need to change his picture.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Afternoon all…

Personal choice really - If it's a first then perhaps stick with rigid?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Thanks Bernard,

Are compensating chassis a ‘must’, or can I just leave the squares in and solder the wheels bearings into them on all 3 axles?

I’ve got most of Iain’s books on loco construction, however being dyslexic I don’t absorb words well and much prefer exploded diagrams, one of the reasons why I’ve gone for LRM!

Good afternoon Dylan,

Compensated chassis are definitely not a 'must' (unless you're modelling in P4). What are you compensating for? Dodgy trackwork? If so, make/lay the track properly at source. 

I can only speak from my own experience; granted, regarding sprung/compensated frames, not that much, having only built about half a dozen in that form. That said, despite my taking at least twice/thrice as long, none works any better than by hundreds of rigid frames. In fact, they've proved to be more wobbly in motion, more prone to slipping (despite all the perceived wisdom) and my rigid-framed locos pick-up just as well. In EM, it's absolutely not necessary to compensate frames for good running (most of Retford's locos are rigid, and run superbly). 

These are the tender frames for a London Road Models' D2...........

LRMD215.jpg.7764f91e8d251107d37310b25a4ed772.jpgLRMD232.jpg.bc38bcf8aabee88c7d9672ba509cee10.jpg

The reason for the tender pick-ups is that the loco has to operate on Grantham, which has several dead-frog points (a puzzle, I know). Not only that, some are the older Peco Code 100, yet this rigid tender rides just fine through them. The dodge (if it is a dodge) is to enlarge the centre bearing a little, allowing the middle wheels to 'float' a bit (a form of compensation?), thus preventing the dreaded see-saw effect on poorer track.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
clumsy grammar
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Most of my tender frames for 00 or EM are not compensated but I do often allow the centre axle some up and down movement, usually by slotting the holes a bit. The frequently suggested method of compensation with hornblocks on the leading two axles and a beam in the centre can tend to be a bit wobbly - especially if it allows a lot of up and down movement (as they usually do, far too much).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Dylan,

Compensated chassis are definitely not a 'must' (unless you're modelling in P4). What are you compensating for? Dodgy trackwork? If so, make/lay the track properly at source. 

I can only speak from my own experience; granted, regarding sprung/compensated frames, not that much, having only built about half a dozen in that form. That said, despite my taking at least twice/thrice as long, none works any better than by hundreds of rigid frames. In fact, they've proved to be more wobbly in motion, more prone to slipping (despite all the perceived wisdom) and my rigid-framed locos pick-up just as well. In EM, it's absolutely not necessary to compensate frames for good running (most of Retford's locos are rigid, and run superbly). 

These are the tender frames for a London Road Models' D2...........

LRMD215.jpg.7764f91e8d251107d37310b25a4ed772.jpgLRMD232.jpg.bc38bcf8aabee88c7d9672ba509cee10.jpg

The reason for the tender pick-ups is that the loco has to operate on Grantham, which has several dead-frog pints (a puzzle, I know). Not only that, some are the older Peco Code 100, yet this rigid tender rides just fine through them. The dodge (if it is a dodge) is to enlarge the centre bearing a little, allowing the middle wheels to 'float' a bit (a form of compensation?), thus preventing the dreaded see-saw effect on poorer track.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony, rigid it is then!

I’ll post updates on my progress…

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As a rule if a kit has compensation or springing built in I build it that way. I've always found that they are easier to build with compensation than without. The problem with tenders is that they don't have coupling rods and all my horn block jigs are for 1/8th axles so I would have to improvise something by making some rods with 2mm holes and using long axles, using the springs from my standard 1/8th jigs but that's not really an issue is it?! Just a quick look at the EMGS stores shows no jigs for horn blocks with 2mm axles so it's make something or a rigid chassis. Or set it up with 1/8th horn blocks with the jig and then swap the 1/8th blocks out for 2mm ones but that brings other issues into play.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 1