Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

Keeping a promise - a while ago I was asked about some Thompson B1s I’d been working on. I’ve finally got them out of their storage box for some photographs. I would call this minimalist modelling, as it really is just chopping off the chimneys, putting brass ones on, a quick paint over and then a renumbering/naming job. For which Springbok needs that last number looking at, for sure!

They all have different head codes as they’re intended to pull different types of trains. Two of them have also had electric lighting added, with the conduits maybe a bit heavy on the boiler (the placement of the conduits is deliberate and based on photographs).

I wanted three B1s that were all a little bit different and to fit in with my layouts theme of end of war/start of BR look and feel. So Addax is in a definite crossover livery whilst Springbok and Steinbok are in full LNER livery.

I will be adding a final fourth B1 in wartime black livery at some point for a bit of difference again. What has been interesting to observe is that most of the B1s that you could model between 1941-1947 were in fact named examples, with the vast majority of the unnamed locomotives coming into service after 1947, from 1948 (including the single biggest batch of 150 locomotives from North British).

So the earlier into the B1s life you model, the more named examples you require, whereas the later you go, the fewer you would see in comparison to the unnamed examples. Hence mine are all from the first 40 odd numbered examples (by LNER numbering).

Of course rule 1 applies but it’s little things like this in the research that fascinate. 

For the record - they are all on the newer Bachmann chassis, and yes they all needed some liquid lead in the boiler to pull more reasonable trains. The basic chassis is fine, just a bit lightweight compared to the original split chassis version.

For the money - each was bought as 1123 for £70 each around eight years ago - they represent a bargain that can’t be had now. 

22990C61-83F6-4E61-A7F8-9143257018FF.jpeg.c8393d15e28d4aaacef1fdff7a19cc7d.jpeg

BB521B9C-6030-43C4-B35F-A81FD152CC7E.jpeg.38db8ead3be908b07b75ba4e6f20e60d.jpeg

D499E88B-04C4-4DB2-8ACE-690316C7A174.jpeg.834f373df3984b5fefbfc7962ee51f12.jpeg

Knowing there’s a fair amount of knowledge among contributors here on ‘Wright Writes’ regarding the Great Central London Extension, I wonder whether anyone can help with a little conundrum I’ve run into, please?

After Nationalisation, the GCLE initially remained as part of BR's Eastern Region, but in 1950 a large part of it (especially the northern end) passed into the administrative control of the London Midland Region. Operationally, however, it remained run by the Eastern until 1958 when the ‘anomaly’ was adjusted and everything changed.

My query is therefore:  what regional colours would the station buildings and associated platform and yard signage have been painted in during this period, assuming they'd been repainted from a pure LNER scheme during the early 50s?

The obvious answer would, of course, be “Look at colour photographs” - but having tried quite a bit of that it appears suitable colour pictures from the early and middle 1950s are rather few and far between, and I cannot so far find anything thus dated that shows the stations south of Annesley but north of, say, Woodford clearly enough to put the matter beyond dispute; nor published written material that touches explicitly on the point.  After 1958 it’s very clear pretty much everything was LMR red and cream, not least because colour photography was becoming more widespread and affordable by then so there’s no lack of evidence; but of course that doesn’t help with how long they had been those colours.

Any assistance would be most appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Knowing there’s a fair amount of knowledge among contributors here on ‘Wright Writes’ regarding the Great Central London Extension, I wonder whether anyone can help with a little conundrum I’ve run into, please?

After Nationalisation, the GCLE initially remained as part of BR's Eastern Region, but in 1950 a large part of it (especially the northern end) passed into the administrative control of the London Midland Region. Operationally, however, it remained run by the Eastern until 1958 when the ‘anomaly’ was adjusted and everything changed.

My query is therefore:  what regional colours would the station buildings and associated platform and yard signage have been painted in during this period, assuming they'd been repainted from a pure LNER scheme during the early 50s?

The obvious answer would, of course, be “Look at colour photographs” - but having tried quite a bit of that it appears suitable colour pictures from the early and middle 1950s are rather few and far between, and I cannot so far find anything thus dated that shows the stations south of Annesley but north of, say, Woodford clearly enough to put the matter beyond dispute; nor published written material that touches explicitly on the point.  After 1958 it’s very clear pretty much everything was LMR red and cream, not least because colour photography was becoming more widespread and affordable by then so there’s no lack of evidence; but of course that doesn’t help with how long they had been those colours.

We moved to East Leake in 1957 when I was 8 and I used to travel to school in Nottingham by train.

I am sure the station buildings were in LMR red and cream.  I remember Dad built a model railway including the station in the loft just after we moved there, he painted the buildings in LMR colours and he was careful to get colours right.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

What clearance should i have in OO for guard irons above rail - I believe the real thing gap is about 3 inches; giving 1mm in OO; does this work - think 0-6-2T with large overhangs each end.

(was aiming at chatting to Tony at Wigan but transport collapse inhibited that)

Thanks

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

You are not alone!  

What I have been able to discern is that Leicester Central was one of the first stations to be repainted in the new LNER colour scheme introduced in 1936/7.  The Eastern Region was also notoriously slow to repaint it’s infrastructure post nationalisation so I have used these colours for my own model, 1950-ish.  Exact rendition of the colour scheme at individual stations is open to some interpretation in the absence of colour photographs, But you might find the following link helpful:

https://www.stationcolours.info/london-north-eastern-railway/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2022 at 21:00, Barry Ten said:

I've bought a few coaches from ebay where it hasn't always been easy to assess the quality of the model from the photos. If it's marked as a Larry Goddard model, or Lawrence Scale Models, then it's a much safer bet that the coach will be a good investment - although a knowledgeable seller will also know to push up the price accordingly.

All my coaches have to get around 2'6" curves with a margin of error for tight-spots, and it's nice if they can be pushed through a Peco double slip, which I think gets down to around 2' on the diverging routes. I've never had to move solebars out but I've sometimes had to cut slots in the underframe for flange clearance.

None of my 00 kit-built coaches with 4-wheel bogies have any trouble on 2'6" radius curves. I have a 70' van on 6-wheel bogies that does though, due to the asymmetric pivot points. It struggles on curves tighter than 3'.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

My scratch-built East Coast clerestory diners,  60+ feet long, riding at scale height with full size OO wheels in bogies with an 11'9" wheelbase will go around a 2 foot radius curve, even though the solebars are "thick" plastic sections rather than thin metal, and I haven't deliberately set them ridiculously wide apart, merely nibbled bits out of the inner faces of the solebars where necessary. If kit built coaches are a problem does that indicate that the kit designer simply scaled down the real thing rather than making reasonable allowances for working models, and then building examples to test his own products? Alternatively, does it indicate that many builders simply build the kit per instructions rather than looking / testing for trouble (and for solutions to problems) at regular stages in the assembly?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2022 at 13:30, Willie Whizz said:

There's an excellent book just been published by Crecy relating to the BR station totems (the sausages). It's printed in full colour, showing the regional variations. 

If it's any help, Staveley Central's signs were ER blue in 1956, as were Chesterfield Central's. 

Oddly, neither Nottingham Victoria (which closed with maroon signage) nor Leicester Central (which also closed with maroon signage) get a mention in the ER section. Does this mean they never got blue totems? 

Most, if not all of, the London extension stations closed with maroon signage.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gr.king said:

My scratch-built East Coast clerestory diners,  60+ feet long, riding at scale height with full size OO wheels in bogies with an 11'9" wheelbase will go around a 2 foot radius curve, even though the solebars are "thick" plastic sections rather than thin metal, and I haven't deliberately set them ridiculously wide apart, merely nibbled bits out of the inner faces of the solebars where necessary. If kit built coaches are a problem does that indicate that the kit designer simply scaled down the real thing rather than making reasonable allowances for working models, and then building examples to test his own products? Alternatively, does it indicate that many builders simply build the kit per instructions rather than looking / testing for trouble (and for solutions to problems) at regular stages in the assembly?

Thanks Graeme,

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but I'm curing most of the coaches' 'clearance' issues by shortening the turnbuckle trussing so that it doesn't catch on the bogies' inner ends when they rotate. What it means is that the trussing goes into the rear of the solebar at a tighter angle than 'scale', but it works.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2022 at 14:14, BMS said:

What clearance should i have in OO for guard irons above rail - I believe the real thing gap is about 3 inches; giving 1mm in OO; does this work - think 0-6-2T with large overhangs each end.

(was aiming at chatting to Tony at Wigan but transport collapse inhibited that)

Thanks

I always give greater clearance than 'scale' when fitting guard irons; probably 2mm.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2022 at 10:06, Simon A.C. Martin said:

Keeping a promise - a while ago I was asked about some Thompson B1s I’d been working on. I’ve finally got them out of their storage box for some photographs. I would call this minimalist modelling, as it really is just chopping off the chimneys, putting brass ones on, a quick paint over and then a renumbering/naming job. For which Springbok needs that last number looking at, for sure!

They all have different head codes as they’re intended to pull different types of trains. Two of them have also had electric lighting added, with the conduits maybe a bit heavy on the boiler (the placement of the conduits is deliberate and based on photographs).

I wanted three B1s that were all a little bit different and to fit in with my layouts theme of end of war/start of BR look and feel. So Addax is in a definite crossover livery whilst Springbok and Steinbok are in full LNER livery.

I will be adding a final fourth B1 in wartime black livery at some point for a bit of difference again. What has been interesting to observe is that most of the B1s that you could model between 1941-1947 were in fact named examples, with the vast majority of the unnamed locomotives coming into service after 1947, from 1948 (including the single biggest batch of 150 locomotives from North British).

So the earlier into the B1s life you model, the more named examples you require, whereas the later you go, the fewer you would see in comparison to the unnamed examples. Hence mine are all from the first 40 odd numbered examples (by LNER numbering).

Of course rule 1 applies but it’s little things like this in the research that fascinate. 

For the record - they are all on the newer Bachmann chassis, and yes they all needed some liquid lead in the boiler to pull more reasonable trains. The basic chassis is fine, just a bit lightweight compared to the original split chassis version.

For the money - each was bought as 1123 for £70 each around eight years ago - they represent a bargain that can’t be had now. 

22990C61-83F6-4E61-A7F8-9143257018FF.jpeg.c8393d15e28d4aaacef1fdff7a19cc7d.jpeg

BB521B9C-6030-43C4-B35F-A81FD152CC7E.jpeg.38db8ead3be908b07b75ba4e6f20e60d.jpeg

D499E88B-04C4-4DB2-8ACE-690316C7A174.jpeg.834f373df3984b5fefbfc7962ee51f12.jpeg

Good evening Simon,

Some nice B1 examples here.

One way of aligning cabside numbers is by drawing a very fine line at their bases with a very soft pencil, applying very light pressure (it rubs off with a finger afterwards). One just lines up the numbers' bases with the line. 

Do check ADDAX's tender; it's got a large front cut-out and low frontplate, something very rare (if at all) on B1 tenders. What you appear to have is an earlier V2 tender. Yes, there were variations; IMPALA's tender in 1943, but I can't find a picture of a B1 tender with a large cut-out at the front. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
tautology
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

There's an excellent book just been published by Crecy relating to the BR station totems (the sausages). It's printed in full colour, showing the regional variations. 

If it's any help, Staveley Central's signs were ER blue in 1956, as were Chesterfield Central's. 

Oddly, neither Nottingham Victoria (which closed with maroon signage) nor Leicester Central (which also closed with maroon signage) get a mention in the ER section. Does this mean they never got blue totems? 

Most, if not all of, the London extension stations closed with maroon signage.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm not sure of the actual regional boundary but I think it was at Kirkby South Junction, just north of Annesley shed and yard, points north of there staying with the Eastern region. 

Certainly Annesley shed was recoded to 16D from 38B, coming under the Nottingham Midland District rather than Colwick which had been 38A, Colwick being demoted to 40E as part of the Eastern region's Lincoln District.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What a wonderful event the Wigan Show was over the weekend. Rarely, if ever, have I seen such a range of the highest-quality layouts on show at one venue. For such a high standard, a much-higher attendance should have occurred (though I'm told Saturday's rail strike might well have dented numbers). I do hope it was economically-viable to put on again next year.

I usually go to Wigan but the train strike on Saturday makes things difficult. The drive can be anything up to 2 hours each way, (been there, did that the first time I went but never again). Sunday engineering works would have meant over an hour to get as far as Manchester on the replacement bus instead of the usual 30 minutes by train and there was also a contest between the local bladder kickers to negotiate. This year I've missed three shows I usually attend because of strikes and train cancellations due to TOCs not doing what they supposed to and major roadworks diversions making alternatives difficult. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What a wonderful event the Wigan Show was over the weekend. Rarely, if ever, have I seen such a range of the highest-quality layouts on show at one venue. For such a high standard, a much-higher attendance should have occurred (though I'm told Saturday's rail strike might well have dented numbers). I do hope it was economically-viable to put on again next year.

My thanks to Stephen Roberts and all his (small) team for putting on such an outstanding exhibition, of which it was a privilege to be a participant (if only in a small way). 

With the altruism of the likes of Syd, Ben and Chris (I've sold almost all the donated items), plus donations at the show, I'll be sending a cheque to CRUK this week for over 12 hundred pounds.

Thank you all. 

But did Mo get her gardening done? 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I usually go to Wigan but the train strike on Saturday makes things difficult. The drive can be anything up to 2 hours each way, (been there, did that the first time I went but never again). Sunday engineering works would have meant over an hour to get as far as Manchester on the replacement bus instead of the usual 30 minutes by train and there was also a contest between the local bladder kickers to negotiate. This year I've missed three shows I usually attend because of strikes and train cancellations due to TOCs not doing what they supposed to and major roadworks diversions making alternatives difficult. 

On Friday afternoon, my drive to Wigan took almost five hours (the M6 'twixt west of Stoke and Lancashire was its usual four or three lane car park!). 

Returning this morning took just over three hours (mind, I did start out at just after half past five!).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Simon,

Some nice B1 examples here.

One way of aligning cabside numbers is by drawing a very fine line at their bases with a very soft pencil, applying very light pressure (it rubs off with a finger afterwards). One just lines up the numbers' bases with the line. 

Do check ADDAX's tender; it's got a large front cut-out and low frontplate, something very rare (if at all) on B1 tenders. What you appear to have is an earlier V2 tender. Yes, there were variations; IMPALA's tender in 1943, but I can't find a picture of a B1 tender with a large cut-out at the front. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

My mistake, I coupled the wrong tenders up! Wrong for Addax as you say, but actually correct for 1039. 

image.png.7a19699f565e410d4de888a17048bb7f.png

Here's a photograph from quite a few years back when I was working on it.

I will now swap the tenders back round!

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

the M6 'twixt west of Stoke and Lancashire was its usual four or three lane car park!

When I was at work I sometimes had to use the car and occasionally had to drive M6 J6 or J7 to J19 then M56 onto M60 anticlockwise to get home. On a Friday afternoon that was impossible, regularly taking in excess of four hours for what on most days was a two hour max journey. I found it was quicker at some times to go A38 to the A50 then turn off through Ashbourne to Buxton. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

Hi Tony,

My mistake, I coupled the wrong tenders up! Wrong for Addax as you say, but actually correct for 1039. 

image.png.7a19699f565e410d4de888a17048bb7f.png

Here's a photograph from quite a few years back when I was working on it.

I will now swap the tenders back round!

Best wishes

Simon

Thanks Simon,

But I think you'll find that STEINBOK had one of the rarest of B1 tenders; a rebuilt one, with no flange at the tank's base for most of its length. Another oddity was the closer spacing of 'LNER' on the tender sides, yet the wider spacing of the cabside numbers; weird, or what?

Please don't let my comments dissuade you from posting your work on here. They're meant in the spirit of 'constructive criticism'.

Kind regards,

Tony. 

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

All good Tony. How would I modify the V2 tender to make it more authentic to the B1 tender, in your opinion? 

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A little, though more time was spent on sorting out the year's documents for our accountant.

I have to say, without her being with me at a show is far more difficult. 

It's interesting discussing wives/girlfriends/partners with others. Some are not in the least bit interested (which is OK) and some are openly hostile to the hobby (which is not). I'm lucky, my wife is not only interested but totally supportive. 

Regards,

Tony. 

That’s why I snagged my girlfriend up whilst I had the chance. Her fathers a model

railway enthusiast as well, although he models Australian stuff, can’t help that, perhaps I can try and convert him, help him see the light. 

Shall I bring my boots for any gardening work in March? Work for my supper! 

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

All good Tony. How would I modify the V2 tender to make it more authentic to the B1 tender, in your opinion? 

Good morning Simon,

There's a very good picture of 61039 and its unusual tender in The Power of the B1s by Peter Swinger, OPC, 1994. It's taken at York in 1950, and is in the North Eastern section of the book. 

61039.jpg.4b5bb494f072377ac1bc30b06f407135.jpg

Though partly hidden by steam, the missing section of flange beneath the tender's tank is evident; what was left was just above the steps at the four corners.

How would I modify it? Obviously with great care, if you wish to retain the livery intact. I'd probably use a scalpel and (very, very) carefully pare away at the plastic flange. It's an interesting tender and well worth modelling.

As for large front cut-outs in model B1s' tenders, near half a century ago I built a Jamieson B1....

283458980_JamiesonB1.jpg.e854c3eedc06b629b1f8d8fd9da8344d.jpg

That had the firm's 'Group Standard 4,200 Gal LNER tender' (also supplied with the V2 and the hand-cut A2/1), and I built it in blissful ignorance.

The model is very basic (no front steps, though I did make them for the footplate and the tender - none supplied with the kit - and I did add brakes and the sandbox fillers), and the cabside numbers are too small (but it is my painting/weathering). I had the nameplates/front numberplate made to my commission by Kings Cross (at a considerable cost), which then went straight into their catalogue. The same was so for THE WHITE KNIGHT and CLUMBER; expensive, and they had to be cut out! 

I puzzle now what to do with any models of this vintage still in my possession. It's seen on LB during the earlier stages of the layout's construction, but it's never used these days. 

Occasionally, I'll pose it and others of the same antiquity, purely for photographic purposes..............

591825306_Nu-CastB16JamiesonB1.jpg.a443b6cf21e2b2b4fef3f7d7c67f78de.jpg

As here, alongside an equally-ancient Nu-Cast B16/3 (another never used now). 

If nothing else, they represent a period in my personal modelling 'journey', but really are rather crude. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 19