Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

I've find that there are distinct differences in colour rendering between the two Nikons I use (a D3 and a Df). The Df gives me much more subtle colours than the more-saturated D3, which is why I prefer the Df for layout photography in the main.

Of course, both can have their colour renditions altered at source, but the photo programme is also capable of this. 

One thing I have noted of late are the often lurid colours printed in some model railway magazines' pictures.

Regards,

Tony. 

The Compact System Cameras that are rapidly displacing DSLRs from ranges (including Nikon) commonly incorporate a facility to customise the intensity of colour response (when shooting jPegs). The menu on my Lumix G9 offers "Standard", "Vivid" or "Natural". 

I generally use "Standard" for layout photos, or "Natural" if the former turns out a little lurid.  Standard correlates fairly closely to what my old Nikon produced.

"Vivid" is usually a bit too strong for my taste, except for winter photography outdoors, when it adds a little welcome "punch" under dull skies, though all the settings can be fine-tuned if one desires an intermediate effect.    

I've never really enjoyed "Photoshopping" and prefer to tune the camera to get close to my desired results with minimal post-processing, using just the basic editing software that came in the laptop.

Publication requirements are rather wide of my intentions (other than posting reduced images on here) but I tend to agree with your assessment of most print media. Is it perhaps exacerbated by the thinner, harder paper that many magazines seem to use these days?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And Purgatory Peak.

Take some time over Purgatory Peak. They seem to have made a lot of effort to show virtually every possible weird geared locomotive available in HOn30. Fascinating, if a touch undocumented for you to know what you are seeing if you aren't pro-actively expecting to be able to tell a Climax from a Shay (etc.).

• RMweb Gold

Is Purgatory Peak the one with the really annoying constant bell clanging we had at York a few years back? Excellent modelling if so but true purgatory sound wise. That year it was by my stewarding post and got very annoying very quickly. Hope they've learnt to turn the volumes down since then.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A couple of interesting subjects brought yesterday for me to photograph by Geoff Haynes..........

83968881_LargescalelivesteamCR0-6-0T01.jpg.35388797064601fb5efa71348505a600.jpg

A large scale live-steam CR 0-6-0T.

386781767_OGaugeStanierPeriod2LMSFO01.jpg.933310905c019aaa3e0124ad5fdbbfa2.jpg

And a splendid Stanier Period 2 FO in O Gauge. 

Is that not a Semi Open Tony? I've not got my Books handy, but it is a good looking Coach.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just received Hornby's latest 9F for photography and review...........

1312537232_Hornby9F01.jpg.851c3c27d84ba211571872d07c4f648d.jpg

This is the NRM one.

The new packaging is enormous! 

Perhaps Hornby have learnt something following the "issues" with the Hush-Hush saga (= many, many locos arriving badly damaged).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

This is the NRM one.

1769898107_Hornby9F05.jpg.f21a0a3c99a0223c3798396c07b92f52.jpg

This is the mechanical stoker-fitted one (yes, it's there between the loco and tender, underneath the footplate). 

I've fitted all the bits on this one.

Visitors today claimed one Youtube review claimed it couldn't pull much. I'll have to invite him to see LB with this running. This pulled near-50 wagons (some metal) with absolute ease. 

They really are terrific models? The best 9Fs in 4mm so far? Certainly as good (if not better - actually-better!) than anything I've ever made and certainly the equal of the Bachmann one. And, Hornby's BR green is spot-on with 92220. Let's hope it's now the standard for all future BR green locos produced. 

They're light years beyond anything Hornby has produced by way of a 9F in the past...............

That could (almost) be an 0 gauge model !!

20 hours ago, polybear said:

Perhaps Hornby have learnt something following the "issues" with the Hush-Hush saga (= many, many locos arriving badly damaged).

I would like to kindly remind everyone about the W1 issues were not just from external packaging, which they now changed to match the likes of Dapol and Accurascale. It was using a third party company with no qc checks for how it was being packed, and the inner "ice-cube" being too loose for the W1 being able to shift vertically and push itself against the plastic, in which the smoke deflectors broke. On top of that, the shifting also caused other parts to become tight, which caused the tender drawbar holes to snap under the pressure.  According to Simon Kohler, Hornby test their boxes every direction, with the product inside, supposedly. He only said each face, which I asked about corners, which he never responded to that question.

I would bet that if the W1 had this new box style, there would still be the same amount broken. 

Edited by Ribird
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'd better stop trying to describe LMS carriages!

Regards,

Tony. 

When you don't have access to your data collection most LMS Coaches look alike (fibbin')😉

It is a diagram D1719, drawings of which can be found in Jenkinson's books on LMS coaches and Mr. Longworth's volume on LMS and SR coaches. Apart from the beading and window depth, very similar to the period 1 D1707. Good drawings of both appeared in the Model Railway Constructor i am informed, way back when we were teenagers I suspect?  They were used on luxury trains as the compartments only seated 4 'Toffs'.  In the photo I believe the nearer 3 windows are where the Open Section was, then a luxury Toilet Compartment and Bulkhead/ Corridor Door. To the rear are the three Compartments for, as stated, the Toffs! You can just see the Antimacassars.

I'd like to see that Coach as it is 7mm and thus the Interior is probably beautifully represented by the look of it? 

I am only familiar with these as I have part built (soldered mainly, to be finished by Client) quite a lot of Comet LMS Coaches, way back when Geoff B was still with us (RIP).

That Black 9F is a 'beast'. I am sorely tempted if they bring out another version with Large Tender (BR1F I think?) You may remember that long ago you helped me renumber a Kit built one I brought over to your place; 92205? That is chunky and heavy, but this Hornby one is really magnificent and as you so describe.

To this day I can remember my first encounter with a 9F; Laira Roundhouse in early summer 1959. From ground level and me being a wee lad, it was massive; 92221. In fact there were three on Shed that afternoon. Just like it was a few eeks back.

Phil

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

This is the NRM one.

1769898107_Hornby9F05.jpg.f21a0a3c99a0223c3798396c07b92f52.jpg

This is the mechanical stoker-fitted one (yes, it's there between the loco and tender, underneath the footplate). 

I've fitted all the bits on this one.

Visitors today claimed one Youtube review claimed it couldn't pull much. I'll have to invite him to see LB with this running. This pulled near-50 wagons (some metal) with absolute ease. 

They really are terrific models? The best 9Fs in 4mm so far? Certainly as good (if not better - actually-better!) than anything I've ever made and certainly the equal of the Bachmann one. And, Hornby's BR green is spot-on with 92220. Let's hope it's now the standard for all future BR green locos produced. 

They're light years beyond anything Hornby has produced by way of a 9F in the past...............

Have they got the return cranks correct this time?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

When you don't have access to your data collection most LMS Coaches look alike (fibbin')😉

It is a diagram D1719, drawings of which can be found in Jenkinson's books on LMS coaches and Mr. Longworth's volume on LMS and SR coaches. Apart from the beading and window depth, very similar to the period 1 D1707. Good drawings of both appeared in the Model Railway Constructor i am informed, way back when we were teenagers I suspect?  They were used on luxury trains as the compartments only seated 4 'Toffs'.  In the photo I believe the nearer 3 windows are where the Open Section was, then a luxury Toilet Compartment and Bulkhead/ Corridor Door. To the rear are the three Compartments for, as stated, the Toffs! You can just see the Antimacassars.

I'd like to see that Coach as it is 7mm and thus the Interior is probably beautifully represented by the look of it? 

I am only familiar with these as I have part built (soldered mainly, to be finished by Client) quite a lot of Comet LMS Coaches, way back when Geoff B was still with us (RIP).

Phil

Phil, from what I can see the MRC drawings are the same drawings that were used in Jenks LMS coaches book.....

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough I have just Handed Red Leader a Period II Semi Open First for a train he is concocting for use on Shap1494878695_LMSSFOside1.jpg.e12fbee6f4405bbcfc29bd02fee0afa5.jpg

It is made up of Mousa etched sides, 247 developments cast ends, Comet roof and ventilators and comet castings for buffers etc. The stones ventilators are some Nicktoix etched for me.  I have another to build for my layout - BR Maroon but it won't be running in the Royal Scot.

After rebuilding Flying Scotsman Mr Riley has renovated one of these full size.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

19 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Strangely enough I have just Handed Red Leader a Period II Semi Open First for a train he is concocting for use on Sh It is made up of Mousa etched sides, 247 developments cast ends, Comet roof and ventilators and comet castings for buffers etc. The stones ventilators are some

Baz

When I first spotted this in my "unread content" list, displayed as above without the image, I was mildly surprised and thought "surely the layout is not that bad"

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Hornby's new packaging for its 9F is certainly substantial - the usual clear plastic holder and sleeve, inserted into a deep foam aperture and then all packed into a large, stout cardboard box.

As posted, packed as a pair surrounded by loads of bubble wrap and polystyrene 'cheeks', the ones I received were placed in an even larger cardboard box. Any damage (of which there wasn't any) would only be achieved by the most-determined of postal assaults. 

So, in perfect condition, I set them to work on Bytham today...........

1611762324_Hornby9F14.jpg.8c2bb354c20f57e396d138b41b2cc103.jpg

With the loco/tender drawbar on the shorter setting.

45314649_Hornby9F15.jpg.c82d0bd831ea73fa672697b1b7031201.jpg

And with the (huge) gap 'twixt loco and tender as supplied (Bob Beaman's the fireman!).

Perfect performance (note the correct lean to the return crank, both sides). 

1474105391_Hornby9F16.jpg.4011710768f7984842e20617bf1e53c9.jpg

I lamped-up the black version, though a Saltley-allocated, mechanical-stoker-fitted 9F would be rare at LB (perhaps impossible). EVENING STAR's appearance in BR service would have been impossible through Little Bytham (can someone contradict that?). 

Haulage power is more than adequate. The Hornby 9F appears to have a die cast smokebox/boiler/firebox, giving excellent ballast. With the body off, it's certainly grey metal inside, but I'll not scratch the (wonderful) external paintwork to ascertain whether it's metal all the way through. Does anyone know, please?

Is it Hornby's best RTR loco? I'm inclined to believe that; which might suggest it's one of the best RTR 4mm locos of all time!

Hornby's little blurb about it suggested a metal Body (Boiler)?

It was a general advert Tony so available I should think?

Looking Good; however the one thing that is missing is the large pipe that seemed to come from the bottom of the Boiler about two thirds back from the SB and disappear into the Frames. I habe never identified what that pipe was but with that huge space (Spaceship don't forget) between Boiler and Frames, it was quite obvious from a side view. Might it have been an Injector feed or something like that? I guessed it might be associated with Blow Down?

I hope someone will be able to enlighten us.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It could be Phil.

I'll ask Geoff.

Nice to see you on here again.

Regards,

Tony. 

It is a D1719 semi open first. It is pre Stanier. The coach was built and painted by Brian Flanagan, then passed to me for lining, and then passed back to Brian for varnishing and finishing. Brian has made an excellent job of this, and in particular, the interior, with tables laid ready for dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Hornby's little blurb about it suggested a metal Body (Boiler)?

It was a general advert Tony so available I should think?

Looking Good; however the one thing that is missing is the large pipe that seemed to come from the bottom of the Boiler about two thirds back from the SB and disappear into the Frames. I habe never identified what that pipe was but with that huge space (Spaceship don't forget) between Boiler and Frames, it was quite obvious from a side view. Might it have been an Injector feed or something like that? I guessed it might be associated with Blow Down?

I hope someone will be able to enlighten us.

Phil

Good evening Phil,

I think there were (at least) two prominent pipes, one of which carried sand.

Regards,

Tony. 

I've also recently made up four of those "scissors" equipped connectors, from scratch, in a slightly simpler / less detailed (but still working) form than yours, after finding that the Slaters type I used some years ago is not currently available, nor is any forecast of a possible date for its reintroduction.

Are there any keen potential alternative manufacturers out there?

Edited by gr.king
spelling mistake
  • Like 4