Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Which loco classes do YOU think should be replicated, "based on need, suitability for heritage railways, engineering excellence or even historical relevance"?

LNWR Cauliflower, Precursor, Teutonic, Watford Tank. A George V is under construction but as it doesn't have the apparent glamour of large LNER locos (of which there are already enough) it is very slow progress.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A full size replica of our SLS 9 1/2" gauge modified Alfred. Orion, fitted with a larger boiler, may well have been Darroch trying to show his bosses they were wrong. Compound 4-4-0 so should be powerful enough for most lines without being too big.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I think it appeared in the Rogers book & was communicated to the author by the late Dorothy  Mather many years later . The letter from Eisenhower thanked both Thompson & Peppercorn . I find it difficult to believe that the man who pushed for Peppercorn to receive an MBE  & recommended him to the Board as CME would get upset over this , which is why I consider it " not proven "

Cheers ,

Ray .

Good morning Ray,

The reference is, indeed, in the Rogers' book. It was mentioned to the author by Harrison following a conversation at the time with the yet-to-be Mrs Peppercorn (later, after being widowed, then remarrying, becoming Mrs Mather).

Is it not to be believed? If not, then one, or both of the correspondents is lying. Rogers and Harrison would seem to have known each other, so, some in-built prejudice?

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Dead easy. What is it that you don't like?

Good morning John,

Please explain how easy it is. And I don't mean Iain Rice's 'pragmatic' solution. 

What looks like cranked lamp brackets are provided on the etch, but these are so small as to impossible to form, grip and then solder in place (at least for my skill-set). 

Do you use bespoke etched ones?

1716774830_GibsonBuffalo05.jpg.87a70cf49c6a4af2b11afa05425bca91.jpg

I find suitable corners from the outside of etched sheets (so much more to hold on to). Cut, file (swear), bend (swear some more) and finally solder in place (to the tune of more bad language!). 

This is an incredibly cruel close-up, and no cleaning up has taken place.

I'd certainly like to know how 'dead easy' this process can be.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

LNWR Cauliflower, Precursor, Teutonic, Watford Tank. A George V is under construction but as it doesn't have the apparent glamour of large LNER locos (of which there are already enough) it is very slow progress.

Got to disagree... We need a K3. I'd give anything to see a K3 getting a heavy train under way again. Alas, I don't think I'll be around if one is built as it would probably take upward of 20 years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

Please explain how easy it is. And I don't mean Iain Rice's 'pragmatic' solution. 

What looks like cranked lamp brackets are provided on the etch, but these are so small as to impossible to form, grip and then solder in place (at least for my skill-set). 

Do you use bespoke etched ones?

1716774830_GibsonBuffalo05.jpg.87a70cf49c6a4af2b11afa05425bca91.jpg

I find suitable corners from the outside of etched sheets (so much more to hold on to). Cut, file (swear), bend (swear some more) and finally solder in place (to the tune of more bad language!). 

This is an incredibly cruel close-up, and no cleaning up has taken place.

I'd certainly like to know how 'dead easy' this process can be.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, I don't know what the Iain Rice method is, so I can't comment on that.

I no longer use the pre-etched versions. Instead, I use steel staples (to suit my lamps which are fitted with micromagnets) but scraps of etch will do just as well if you don't need steel.

I just cut and clean up the staples and bend them using pliers. They're thin enough to bend in both planes.

1606317961_201908290017446lampbrackets.JPG.3bc5e8f04ffc0d91b59a3426a59897b3.JPG

1173513890_201908290047446lampbracketsrear.JPG.9171c43a55c6b95ba721c51556a751c1.JPG

On this model the staples are inserted into drilled holes with the lower vertical section remaining part of the RTR moulding. You could do the same on kits or scratchbuilt locos with the lower section added separately.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Ray,

The reference is, indeed, in the Rogers' book. It was mentioned to the author by Harrison following a conversation at the time with the yet-to-be Mrs Peppercorn (later, after being widowed, then remarrying, becoming Mrs Mather).

Is it not to be believed? If not, then one, or both of the correspondents is lying. Rogers and Harrison would seem to have known each other, so, some in-built prejudice?

Regards,

Tony. 

If the author (Rogers) received the information via an intermediary (Harrison), it's quite possible that there was some misunderstanding, incomplete information or wrong inference. Having reread the Rogers book fairly recently, I have the impression that it is written from a particular point of view, i.e. by someone who was not keen on Thompson who spoke to others who had similar views. Much of it may go back to Thompson's alleged manner in dealing with people, which appears not to have been his strong point and may have been affected by mental health issues arising at least in part from WW1 experiences. That is I think the gist of what Tim Hillier-Graves is getting at in his book.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Clem said:

Got to disagree... We need a K3. I'd give anything to see a K3 getting a heavy train under way again. Alas, I don't think I'll be around if one is built as it would probably take upward of 20 years.

Like the sound of that.  The LNER got a raw deal in preservation, primarily because only one of their designs made it to Woodhams' yard.  I don't agree that the Pacifics are over-represented in preservation, or more to the point, RA9 types; A1(1, and that's "new"), A2(1), A3(1), A4(6, which I agree is a lot but they're spread across the world), V2(1) and W1(0). 

Where the LNER really missed out in preservation is in the useful mid-sized classes, like the K3; compare survival of the B1(2) or B17(0) with the Black 5(18) or Hall/Modified Hall(16).  Similarly, the number of 0-6-0 types - tank and tender - lost to preservation is significant, including from some quite large classes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

The LNER got a raw deal in preservation, primarily because only one of their designs made it to Woodhams' yard. 

Other factors have to include the intrinsic charm of Great Western locomotives and the high proportion of early heritage lines that were in the West Country, the most popular domestic holiday destination.

One also has to consider that the GWR and LMS had a higher proportion of less aged locomotives across all types and power classes, unlike the LNER where a much higher proportion of the locomotive stock was of great antiquity.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

If we are wish-listing new builds then I totally agree the K3 is right up there - everything I have read tells me one would be ideal.

So if someone could rebuild a fully valanced D16, then a K3 that would be most appreciated, thanks in advance ;) When the lottery people finally notice I've been buying tickets for quite a while now, (please may I have something back), I'll get on with those!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 29/04/2022 at 19:06, Compound2632 said:

Is there anyone currently qualified as a steam locomotive driver who has experience of driving a B17? They'd have to be over 90! So the point is moot; in designing a new-build B17 look-alike, such issues would be addressed.

Talking of the B17 build, I see that there is a major departure from the original design, in that the  driving axles will have roller bearings and the middle and trailing driving axles will have cannon bearing assemblies.  I assume this is to mitigate problems with the original design-a weak chassis.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

With the slow progress of so many new build steam locos, I am not sure that the age of so many enthusiasts and the number of people involved, along with slow funding, in such schemes will be favourable enough to see some of them through to completion. The Tornado/Prince of Wales group are an honourable exception. They are very professional and businesslike and their activities have always filled me with confidence that they will succeed.

Whether the main line will still be a place for main line steam tours in the future is another question.

I have never been a huge fan of seeing large tender locos working tender first at 25mph. on single track lines, as the vast majority of preserved railways are. I would much rather see appropriate locos and trains in their "natural environment" to recreate our railways as they used to look.

Most mainline railtours have trains that look nothing like they did "back in the day" with carriages heavily modified and painting in fictitious liveries. On the odd time when you do see a rake in matching livery (even if a slightly non realistic train formation) with a loco that matches it looks many times better than most of them. I saw a recent photo of a BR Green Jubilee on a rake of Maroon Mk 1s and it looked super. 

So if I could wave my magic wand I would want to see some of the gaps in the ranks of the branch line locos filled. The idea of a G5 on the NYMR floats my boat and will probably happen before too long. There are plenty of GWR, LMS and SR smaller locos preserved and running but very view from the LNER. So my wish list would be for things like a C13, a C12, an A5 or a V1/3 (proposed by the A1 Trust for a future project). 

I recall one very enjoyable visit to the KWVR when everything that was running was appropriate for the size of line and also in matching livery. It really did lift the experience up a notch for me. An Ivatt 2-6-2T coming out of Keighley with two carriages and a van "tail load", all in late 1950s condition, looked just right.

I could just imagine a MR 0-4-4T running that line with a short train of two or three carriages, or perhaps even push pull fitted with a single coach.

But on balance, I think that pooling resources to make more progress on the existing projects is a better idea than anybody starting new ones now.

The one area where new new locos do seem to be produced at a good rate of progress is the narrow gauge world. They have done some lovely work.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The empirical evidence is that the ideal locomotive for a heritage line is the BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T - the large number of preserved examples are well spread around the most successful heritage lines; they're invariably the engine in use if one turns up for the first train of the day or on a one-engine-in-steam day, or so it seems!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The empirical evidence is that the ideal locomotive for a heritage line is the BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T - the large number of preserved examples are well spread around the most successful heritage lines; they're invariably the engine in use if one turns up for the first train of the day or on a one-engine-in-steam day, or so it seems!

A pal of mine once had the pipe dream of finding a multigazillionaire to fund a fleet of new LNER L1s to hire out to preserved lines...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I think GWR 150 was an excellent event. Lots of large mainline steam and a rake of Mark 1s in WR choc cream.

Clun Castle was good on the Swindon Gloucester runs.

B430 looked good in those colours as well.

Worst bit was repainting and renaming a 50

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MJI said:

I think GWR 150 was an excellent event. Lots of large mainline steam and a rake of Mark 1s in WR choc cream.

Loved Sir Elgar! Saw it when first repainted in 1985 on the evening parcels at Shrub Hill 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

The curse of Jidenco has struck my Jones tankie. I've been plodding along doing bits on it (and it has gone fairly well so far), but today (with no trains running) I've brought her in to work again to do some more, and specifically to solder on the Crewe front end wrapper. I've had to file back a bit to allow the shape to form against the footplate properly, and then I offered up the wrapper.

It is continuous half etch with some rivets that go around the cylinders, and goes from side to side in one piece. It looks long enough but unbelievably its about 3mm too narrow where it goes over the top of the smokebox, and at least 1 mm too narrow where it goes over the cylinders....

I've therefore not got anything to solder as a wrapper... 

How do I get around this one please?

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

The curse of Jidenco has struck my Jones tankie. I've been plodding along doing bits on it (and it has gone fairly well so far), but today (with no trains running) I've brought her in to work again to do some more, and specifically to solder on the Crewe front end wrapper. I've had to file back a bit to allow the shape to form against the footplate properly, and then I offered up the wrapper.

It is continuous half etch with some rivets that go around the cylinders, and goes from side to side in one piece. It looks long enough but unbelievably its about 3mm too narrow where it goes over the top of the smokebox, and at least 1 mm too narrow where it goes over the cylinders....

I've therefore not got anything to solder as a wrapper... 

How do I get around this one please?

Andy G

Scratchbuilding!

Obtain some brass shim the same thickness as the etch; (Google will help); and trace round the etched wrapper.

Then add the extra width in the areas that you have identified as too narrow; and mark out the correct rivet positions.

Punch through the rivets - you can pre-drill part way through the shim if necessary.

Then cut out the new, correct component, being careful not to damage the rivets.

You are now a scratchbuilder!

John Isherwood.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

I completely agree about GWR150 - I was a teenager at the time but Dad and I saw plenty of it - except for your dislike of "Sir Edward Elgar".  I never understood that even then; were 49 other Class 50s in the same colour scheme not enough?  It's not as if in losing it's "Hercules" name, we lost that of a particularly important warship of recent history or still in service.  As always, it's only paint, and names can be changed.....

(Personally, I thought the Severn Valley repainting one side of "City of Truro" in BR black, even though only for a couple of hours, was absolutely hilarious).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

I wonder how many people who have tried to build a Jidenco kit have uttered those immortal words “ how do I get round this one then”

I bet they have more experience than me though! But you do learn on your feet building one, and you certainly feel you have achieved something at the end of it, it it looks how you want.

Andy G (Doing something else on the kit while I sort the solution)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Loved Sir Elgar! Saw it when first repainted in 1985 on the evening parcels at Shrub Hill 

Always Hercules to me

Edited by MJI
  • Friendly/supportive 1