Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I have two of the Thompson match board full brakes. One Mailcoach and the other a brass kit -Comet I think. I built them several years ago before I knew much about kit building and I just followed the instructions but I think both still look ok. They both run on Bachmann bogies because in those days I valued the good running of the RTR bogies over prototypical fidelity. I ought to replace them, but it’s not high on the list of priorities!

Can you tell which is which?

C57B8A3A-10F8-4D7B-A381-E1FDB5E0D6CA.jpeg.b7cb1d087c541105f5458b0d4b80ab05.jpeg

14B3BDE3-6485-4F9D-8ABF-C2F6E5A1BCAD.jpeg.0b1c941b8c95dcca2676d40238e3f379.jpeg

Thanks Andy,

Top one Mailcoach, bottom one Comet.

The rainstrips on the roof of the Mailcoach one is the giveaway. And, the fact that the Comet one has separate handrails.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm sure I've see them in 7mm scale.

Wow! Mind you, for impressive skills, ISTR someone building a 9F in 2mm scale which had the lifting arm on the valve gear move to the correct place (up or down) depending on which way the locomotive was moving...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Wow! Mind you, for impressive skills, ISTR someone building a 9F in 2mm scale which had the lifting arm on the valve gear move to the correct place (up or down) depending on which way the locomotive was moving...

Tony posted a photo of it in this thread a few days ago.

Here's a video of it:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, johndon said:

Here's a video of it:

Thanks, John - I missed seeing that. This thread moves so quickly...

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, johndon said:

Here's a video of it:

Astounding. There ought to be an 'exceptionally exceptional' button.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2022 at 13:25, Tony Wright said:

'Layout' locos/'layout' trains............

I think the following pictures illustrate my take on this.............

879061356_MailcoachmatchboardThompsonBG05.jpg.8b8260a976317f28e3e4f046e3c9dd21.jpg

416669855_MailcoachmatchboardThompsonBG06.jpg.af46a420597a0f94ef76d9e5cddf88ee.jpg

1623817554_MailcoachmatchboardThompsonBG07.jpg.e9c7c37ce30c884c7d46329103ee7337.jpg

Here's the Mailcoach matchboard Thompson BG in service (yet to be weathered, of course). 

Despite its only-plastic construction in the main, it's perfectly stable at the head of a 15-car rake (thanks to that great big slug of lead). 15 cars made-up mainly of modified Bachmann Mk.1 carriages, with three other metal kit-builds as well (mainly the catering core). An ideal 'layout' train? 

As for the loco, that's nothing more than a 'layout' one; a 40+ years old Nu-Cast V2 on a scratch-built chassis (all my work). It's reasonably well-detailed (the chassis has brakes, though no sandpipes, and the cylinder drain cocks do not extend as far forward as they should do; it was originally built for curves tighter that LB's). In/on a 'layout' setting, are these things that noticeable? I think my painting/weathering of the V2 is 'adequate' (I didn't know top painters back when it was built), and it handles this substantial load with ease; so, as a 'layout' loco, hauling a 'layout' train, I think the combo works just fine.  

To conclude, I got to see my first production Bachmann V2 over the weekend. At almost £230.00 it's probably still cheaper than any equivalent kit-build. I have to say it looked rather good (in LNER green, BR black and BR green) with beautiful paint finishes. The only 'criticism' I'd observe is the rather chunky valve gear/motion; much 'cruder' than anything I've built. That said, with the motion weathered, an ideal 'layout' loco? Has anyone 'worked on' it yet? 

image.png.7852d5c28499364cfea1f7fdfc3eb904.png

I am really pleased with mine.  It is heavy enough to haul a 6-coach Waverley semifast set up the gradients on my folded figure of 8 layout, which is more than the B1 will.  Half an hour or so with Railmatch acrylics tones down the factory applied plastic sheen.  Whilst the valve gear may be oversize, it certainly gives the loco a purposeful appearance

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drmditch said:

Astounding. There ought to be an 'exceptionally exceptional' button.

Some models inspire me to model, some come close to encouraging me to just give up, now.....

I'm not sure there are words in the English language to describe how impressive that 2mm scale 9F is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, coronach said:

image.png.7852d5c28499364cfea1f7fdfc3eb904.png

I am really pleased with mine.  It is heavy enough to haul a 6-coach Waverley semifast set up the gradients on my folded figure of 8 layout, which is more than the B1 will.  Half an hour or so with Railmatch acrylics tones down the factory applied plastic sheen.  Whilst the valve gear may be oversize, it certainly gives the loco a purposeful appearance

Very effective!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some more pictures illustrating the use of Halfords Burgundy Red acrylic rattle can..........

1035033862_02Parksidevans.jpg.99240cfed2e01761eb41e340184ee0b3.jpg

The WR van has had a light dusting of overall weathering.

574963453_Parksideex-LMSCCT01.jpg.291226d3a68c7671d8bd0c3395a7cdb1.jpg

A closer look at the ex-LMS CCT.

1223673505_Parksideex-LNERhorsebox.jpg.0d76538c33a0f4d10207b5f7990b26d8.jpg

And, an ex-LNER horsebox, just with the underframe weathered. 

I built all these Parkside kits, spraying them first with red primer.

The paint works just as well on metal kits..........

459474281_Cometcateringtriplet.jpg.12ef0a311d2bdabc4b8d00dc85d4fca6.jpg

A Comet triplet.

1931780748_1938Scotsmantriplet.jpg.5be723a368161eff39373551ccf3c978.jpg

And a 1938 Scotsman triplet made with Rupert Brown's etchings and MJT components.

Geoff Haynes painted this, decanting the Burgundy Red into his airbrush. It's slightly lighter than straight from the rattle can.

In contrast.........

910097213_ex-SilverJubileetriplet.jpg.f102e823e5eac65c75602fde071177be.jpg

I made this ex-Silver Jubilee triplet from a Mailcoach kit, brush-painting it with a sable and Railmatch BR maroon. 

I think this is too dark. 

Good evening Tony, thanks for posting that series of photos: it's very interesting, seeing the different shades compared, on similar vehicles in very similar lighting on the same layout, whilst also being able to read your descriptions of how each shade was produced.

To me, they all look perfectly convincing and the different shades replicate the variations we see in real life from age, atmosphere and wear and tear, but I do realise that may not be everyone's view.

Do you keep notes on how things like paint jobs were done on individual models, or are you simply flexing an impressive memory? I have built a tiny fraction of the number of kits you have, but I'm not sure I could recall which brand or method paint I used on all of them... Some are memorable of course, for various reasons, but there's a fair old line of wagons and vans whose finish details are a little less well defined, as I think about them now. I might have a look, actually - writing this has got me wondering whether I can remember or not! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Regarding the Halfords “rattle cans”, Tony, which colours do you recommend for “blood and custard” carriages, please?

When I lived in the UK I used Peugeot Regency Red and Ford Sahara Beige.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Regarding the Halfords “rattle cans”, Tony, which colours do you recommend for “blood and custard” carriages, please?

I've never used rattle cans for 'blood and custard', because it would require too much masking. Not only that, other than modified RTR carriages (Bachmann Mk.1s and Thompsons) and a few ex-Tony Geary/John Houlden Gresleys/Thompsons built from kits, the majority of my passenger stock is in maroon. I think Tony used either Railmatch or Precision Paint 'faded 'blood & custard' via the airbrush. Any carmine/cream stock I've painted has been done using a sable and Railmatch's appropriate colours. 

As here......

74665169_ROCOMTO.jpg.e801a50c18e9c025c54f3f12753645a5.jpg

This is a ROCOM ex-GE Section 'shorty' TO, brush-painted ( I don't own an airbrush), finished with brushed-on satin varnish, let down with a touch of matt black.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Good evening Tony, thanks for posting that series of photos: it's very interesting, seeing the different shades compared, on similar vehicles in very similar lighting on the same layout, whilst also being able to read your descriptions of how each shade was produced.

To me, they all look perfectly convincing and the different shades replicate the variations we see in real life from age, atmosphere and wear and tear, but I do realise that may not be everyone's view.

Do you keep notes on how things like paint jobs were done on individual models, or are you simply flexing an impressive memory? I have built a tiny fraction of the number of kits you have, but I'm not sure I could recall which brand or method paint I used on all of them... Some are memorable of course, for various reasons, but there's a fair old line of wagons and vans whose finish details are a little less well defined, as I think about them now. I might have a look, actually - writing this has got me wondering whether I can remember or not! :D

Good morning Chas,

Me keep notes? 

I think the rattle can Ford Burgandy Red can give a series of slightly different effects, dependent on how it's applied. Lightly, over matt black, it can give the effect of 'pre-weathering', or, just as it is, ready-weathered. Or, when applied in a 'full' coat form (actually, three coats), it gives a really rich finish.

As here...............

508745352_ThompsonKitchenCar.jpg.977229ab4a505ff12f3dad34e6020dc1.jpg

A much hacked-about Bachmann old Thompson donor, BSL bogies, Southern Pride sides and MJT fittings.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Or, when applied in a 'full' coat form (actually, three coats), it gives a really rich finish.

As here...............

508745352_ThompsonKitchenCar.jpg.977229ab4a505ff12f3dad34e6020dc1.jpg

Good morning Tony, another very fine looking example! The extra coats really do give an enhanced finish, don't they? That's quite a collection of differing finishes from the one colour, looking through all those pictures again - room for some subtle but noticeable variety.

I wonder if Halfords know the use to which soem of their colours are being put by the modelling world?

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Just some final thoughts on rolling stock colours...........

1015126048_gangwayedsteelartics01.jpg.aa9d73e4a67fdc3508982dd66bbd5718.jpg

Mention was made earlier of Tony Geary using faded 'carmine/cream'. Here's an example, on an artic pair he's made using Southern Pride sides and Comet parts. Beautifully-natural modelling, and a privilege to now own! 

Tim Shackleton demonstrates some paint fading techniques on rolling stock in the Hornby magazine Issue 177 - March 2022. I haven't copied any of the pictures in case of copyright issues.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

.....these pictures are, obviously, staged since it's my wife who's doing the 'acting'.

Hi Tony,

That's a relief - for a moment there I thought you'd taken to wearing Ladies Jewellery.....:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Re. painting coaches in BR livery, I also use Halford's Ford Burgundy Red for maroon coaches, and agree that what is underneath the 'maroon' affects the finished colour.

When making coaches from brass kits I first spray with Halford's etching primer which gives the paint a good 'key' to the brass but is grey, so I follow that up with a coat of red oxide primer before applying the 'maroon'.  On one occasion I forgot the red oxide coat and it did make the 'maroon' look different; luckily it was a parcels van so the duller finish didn't matter too much.

For red/cream coaches I use a coat of white primer after the grey etching primer, then  spray overall with Railmatch BR Cream from their rattle can.  Then, rule a pencil line with a ruler where the division between the two colours will be, and brush paint the red (Railmatch BR Crimson) on the lower section carefully up to the pencil line with a good flat brush.  Despite care, it probably won't be a perfectly straight line but is usually good enough that the lining transfers at the colour division can hide slight imperfections of the brush painted edge.  After putting the lining transfers on, any red or cream which is on the 'wrong side' of the lining can be carefully painted out with a small brush of the relevant colour.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1