Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

This morning, Geoff Haynes brought round some models for photography he's painted..........

image.png.e9870e81aa46067e4dcb77352296c779.png

Just goes to show how good those Hornby 'generic' six-wheelers come up with a decent paint job!!!!

Smiles from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Came across this nice video the other day

Being a Wiganer I've never been much of a Southern or GW fan though we holidayed in Ilfracombe back in 1963 and I remember the Spam cans. I still have a Tri-ang TT one somewhere in the loft !!

My brother & I traveled the Barnstaple to Halwill Jcn line, and also BarnstapIe - Dulverton - Tiverton - Tiverton Jcn & Hemyock lines, I was 11 years old at the time. As to GWR well for me it was the Cambrian lines, holidays again at Barmouth and Towyn back in the early 60's. But I hankered for the unknown, the East Coast main line and Pacifics etc. Alas I never saw them. A school trip to York back around 1966 I saw my first Deltic whilst bunking York MPD and I was hooked !!!!

But after the holidays etc it was back home to mucky old Wigan with Dub D's, Black 5's & 8's, 9 2'ers, Big D's, Brush 4's - and of course -----

image.png.60b1725819c26b9ec3a51b5cedfe13f8.png

I came across this short vid the other day. Just look at the reactions of those on the platform - who could not show some emotion at this !!!!

Brit15

Superb films - thanks for posting.

A welcome distraction from what is going on just now.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 45568 said:

This morning, Geoff Haynes brought round some models for photography he's painted..........

image.png.e9870e81aa46067e4dcb77352296c779.png

Just goes to show how good those Hornby 'generic' six-wheelers come up with a decent paint job!!!!

Smiles from Oz,

Peter C.

Hi Peter,

That particular example isn't Hornby - Tony mentions it being 0 Gauge, so I assume a very, very nice kit-built example finished off with a superb paint job by Geoff.

Cheers,

Brian

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A bit of a mixed day............

1001139011_LNWRcarriage01.jpg.125dfb0652b104c3129b2a96c1a2c394.jpg

This is one of a trio of O Gauge LNWR carriages he's painted.

This afternoon, I started another project..........

134595544_MailcoachmatchboardThompsonBG01.jpg.42b9b94098b08c40cfa0bfbaf5547a93.jpg

A Mailcoach boarded Thompson BG. A simple project, and one I'll be taking with me to the Nottingham (Clifton) Show over this coming weekend as part of my demo/loco-doctoring; I'll be on my own because Mo will be busy with things at home (emptying what's left of our garden tool store after the storms of last week rather played with it). Please pop in and have a chat at the show.

Finally, this evening, Nick Logan called in with a few locos to tweak and a bit of advice. 

1256447924_NickLoganJ79weathered.jpg.06c16101ca94954a22e1c97cccc4b307.jpg

Readers might recall his bringing this J79 he'd built some three years ago.

It's now nicely weathered. 

No idea why the J79 is pulling a makeshift Tender ?  , they were only used on the ex NBR Y9 see here

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/scottish-pug-locomotives-of-the-n-b-r-d-drummond-y9-nbr-class-g-0-4-0st-shunters.1236012/

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micklner said:

No idea why the J79 is pulling a makeshift Tender ?  , they were only used on the ex NBR Y9 see here

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/scottish-pug-locomotives-of-the-n-b-r-d-drummond-y9-nbr-class-g-0-4-0st-shunters.1236012/

Perhaps Nick will respond.

I just took the picture.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More new books, this time all from Booklaw...

1682973223_BREarlyDieselsinColourPartOne.jpg.4afb9be39d55f6d636925237e157f6d9.jpg

Some fantastic imagery.

240969714_BritishRailwaysTheFirstTwoDecadesNo.1.jpg.c4c9faf5c19a6d401d416bc9c8088292.jpg

222052754_BritishRailwaysTheFirstTwoDecadesNo.2.jpg.93aef48255f8ca5bfebc7001e937bbe2.jpg

684493701_BritishRailwaysTheFirstTwoDecadesNo.3.jpg.d105ab5481dca4f432b2d30cc8c4b335.jpg

All new pictures, many showing areas not usually photographed. Well worth acquiring, especially for modellers. Good value, too (as is the larger book). 

Fine imagery, but the usual 'peculiar' English with regard to grammar and punctuation in places; not unique to this publisher, I'm afraid. 

I even found 'I was sat in front of.............' in a 'quality' newspaper the other day. When did grammar cease to be taught in our schools? 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

… When did grammar cease to be taught in our schools? 

A long time ago I'm afraid, certainly as regards English! 

I actually picked up a better grasp of grammar from French and Latin lessons at secondary school (1976-83) than I ever did from any English lessons.  For example, it was my French teacher who explained what the past perfect and past imperfect tenses are, and how to use them (both in English and French).  Whilst I'd naturally developed the use of them in English as I grew up, I had no idea what they actually were, or what they were called.  

These days, it seems that as long as you get your meaning across, anything goes.  The modern way seems to be to tolerate the mangling of the English language, and pass it off as "the natural evolution of language over time".  Also, there is a tendency to assume that as long as the software doesn't put a wavy red line under it, it must be ok...

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/02/2022 at 22:13, APOLLO said:

I'm unaware of such settings and there meaning, I'll have a look at it sometime. I was going to upload my many colour images of the 80's & 90's I'm slowly starting scanning, but as Flickr are now charging etc it's not worth the bother, besides being mostly banger blue tops diesels they are not really that interesting. I'll have a rethink in the future sometime.

Brit15

I was quite taken with your earlier comment that you thought it would be good for folk to enjoy your pictures as they might well not survive after you (or words to that effect).

I feel just the same, and despite reservations about tech. generally started doing Fotopic (deceased), now Flickr for just that reason. My experience is that sharing pictures with other enthusiasts is enjoyable in itself, ranging from seeing what mates in my local area have been up to, to developments in other parts of the globe that I've visited at some point.

You might be surprised at the interest generated by your blue diesels, horror to many I know! Remember that the hobby nearly died a death after 1968, and interest in "modern" traction only really started as the '80's progressed. My own lineside efforts began in 1975, and it was four years before I encountered another solitary soul doing the same, just west of Penistone. Posts of blue diesels have generated no small amount of interest, and you might well find approaches from authors/ publishers for your work.

There's a world of difference between this and genuine commercial photography in my view, although I appreciate that legally this isn't so. A local bus group have on several occasions used my efforts without asking (I do a few buses as well), and whilst I rather wish they had asked and also given a credit I find it hard to be cross as they stage some excellent rallies at their expense, available for free to those who turn up to watch and take pictures.

You are correct that Flickr do charge, I think for a website hosting more than 1000 pictures, moreover that charge has just risen considerably again, and is now around £80 p.a. However I've never really bought into this idea that the internet and add ons should somehow be free, and I still consider the charge to be quite modest for the pleasure I derive from using the facility. Certainly very inexpensive for hours of activity generated, or say compared to an annual gym or golf club membership!

John.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I actually picked up a better grasp of grammar from French and Latin lessons at secondary school (1976-83) than I ever did from any English lessons.  For example, it was my French teacher who explained what the past perfect and past imperfect tenses are, and how to use them (both in English and French).  Whilst I'd naturally developed the use of them in English as I grew up, I had no idea what they actually were, or what they were called.  

These days, it seems that as long as you get your meaning across, anything goes.  The modern way seems to be to tolerate the mangling of the English language, and pass it off as "the natural evolution of language over time".  Also, there is a tendency to assume that as long as the software doesn't put a wavy red line under it, it must be ok...

I am the the first to admit that my English is far from good, although it is good enough to become exasperated at the spoken English on many TV current affairs or news programmes. As for the written 'English' (?) in the press...

Years ago I learned a little Italian. Our teacher was a young Italian woman in her twenties. As well as, obviously, English she could speak Russian, German and Spanish. I remember her being incredulous that the entire class - myself included - had no grasp of the mechanics of the English language.

I admire people who are fluent in the language of others. My Italian was very basic but to be understood by Italian folk in Italy was a thrill. My wife's son has a little Welsh but is fluent in Japanese and has a working knowledge of Arabic. He is the brains of the family but ask him to put up a shelf...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Perhaps Nick will respond.

I just took the picture.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Mick, 

Thank you for your question. The tender is to provide extra pickups as the wheel base is quite short. 

I was interested that you said they were only used on Y9. How can you be sure? 

Kind regards 

Nick

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ncl said:

Hi Mick, 

Thank you for your question. The tender is to provide extra pickups as the wheel base is quite short. 

Kind regards 

Nick

Nick 

I can be sure that is the only Loco in the LNER period, that ever pulled a NBR Wagon converted to a makeshift Tender !! I also doubt if it would have been Enginering Blue, I would think Black is more  probable colour, it would also carry a serial number as in the link I posted earlier . 

I have never seen any other LNER Loco with that set up, including the tiny ex NER  Y8. It would look much better, and correct with a "normal" wagon being used as a pick up attached if the model needs the extra pickups.

I have a ex NER Y7 which is the  shorter version of the J79, than runs totally perfectly , with pick ups on the 4 wheels.

regards Mick

12 minutes ago, micklner said:

Nick 

I can be sure that is the only Loco in the LNER period, that ever pulled a NBR Wagon converted to a makeshift Tender !! I also doubt if it would have been Enginering Blue, I would think Black is more  probable colour, it would also carry a serial number as in the link I posted earlier . 

I have never seen any other LNER Loco with that set up, including the tiny ex NER  Y8. It would look much better, and correct with a "normal" wagon being used as a pick up attached if the model needs the extra pickups.

I have a ex NER Y7 which is the  shorter version of the J79, than runs totally perfectly , with pick ups on the 4 wheels.

regards Mick

Thanks Mick 

I don't really worry too much about such things. I made the truck as a bit of an experiment in scratch building. My layout is a mix of Wells Next the Sea trackplan and GCR architecture, so I am not constrained to a particular line/location. The loco runs much better since I changed to electrofrog points and the pickups work fine. Tony Wright fitted them! 

Regards 

Nick. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

More new books, this time all from Booklaw...

684493701_BritishRailwaysTheFirstTwoDecadesNo.3.jpg.d105ab5481dca4f432b2d30cc8c4b335.jpg

Fine imagery, but the usual 'peculiar' English with regard to grammar and punctuation in places; not unique to this publisher, I'm afraid. 

It's right there on the cover, too. It should either be "from the Paul Leaven collection" or "from Paul Leaven's collection", assuming the surname to be Leaven. If the surname is Leavens, it should be "from the Paul Leavens collection" or "from Paul Leavens' collection".

A clear instance of the Gricer's Apostrophe.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

It's right there on the cover, too. It should either be "from the Paul Leaven collection" or "from Paul Leaven's collection", assuming the surname to be Leaven. If the surname is Leavens, it should be "from the Paul Leavens collection" or "from Paul Leavens' collection".

A clear instance of the Gricer's Apostrophe.

The previous book listed is described on the cover as being from the 'the David Dalton collection', which is tidier, but for me the lovely photo of Britannia 70011 with the fireman looking back from the cab for a 'right o' way' or some flag from the gaurd is more interesting.

I never knew and still don't know whether the fireman might have shouted across the cab 'right o' way' or 'right away' when trains departed. 

The picture on the cover from the David Dalton collection is superb, and allows great comparison to be made with the Hornby RTR model. which I think is aside from chimney one the best ever done in 00.

292398400_70011_britanniabyrogerdaltonbooklaw.jpg.29340c71a955f1abb42dbade8b299514.jpg

which allows a photo of the lovely Hornby version albeit 70015 'Aplollo' in WR guise. Bought second hand as most versions now are.

70015_britannia_IMG_4844.1abcd_r2080a.jpg.9aaa99f71dee066e93a5a5c0f17bff2d.jpg 

Edited by robmcg
typo and addition.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ncl said:

Hi Mick, 

Kind regards 

Nick

Just one point - could you explain how the fireman would get coal from the 'tender' whilst on the move? (It'd be a bit of a hike when stationary, too)!

CJI.

59 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Just one point - could you explain how the fireman would get coal from the 'tender' whilst on the move? (It'd be a bit of a hike when stationary, too)!

CJI.

Seems quite obvious to me. Given a small loco it's unlikely to be travelling very far at a time, either shunting a yard or perhaps on pick up freight duties.

When a suitable break in the work occurs the small bunker is topped up, when stationary, from the extra supply rather than having to return to depot.

Water columns for the tanks are fairly frequently placed so that is less of an issue. 

Nice looking little model.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I learned all I know about formal English grammar when I was on a German Exchange for eight weeks in the autumn of 1969.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Iain.d said:

I have been progressing with a Comet Coaches LMS D1796 Stove R. It’s going together quite well, the only issue I have had is the etched openings in the tops of the fold up W irons. Each has a cut out to provide clearance for the wheel flanges but I found the openings weren’t large enough for the Hornby 14mm wheels I’m using, so it needed quite a bit of work with a needle file to enlarge them. Of course, I didn’t find this out until they were folded up and tested with the wheels in, so had to take care not to damage or bend the etchings! 

849712746_LMSD1796StoveR(01)-Components.jpg.527ef7c788194b756c87723b808c4441.jpg

There are a few threads on building these vehicles on RMWeb and I did a little looking but couldn’t see if others had experienced a similar issue. That said, it could just be me or the wheels I’m using. I’ll consult those threads further as I progress, one has some good images of the underside detail.

Otherwise, all the bits for the chassis were easy to assemble. I haven’t yet bent over the wire to secure the centre axle or secured the wheel sets; I’ll do that towards the end of the build. I chose to just use wire between the brake shoes rather than fabricate yokes as I figured by the time the underside is complete with things like brake safety loops and so on, and then dirtied, they probably wouldn’t be seen.

1620558780_LMSD1796StoveR(02)-Chassis.jpg.4f4ad3f430fa05ce55827be4f6441176.jpg

And with the body soldered up and secured (just with the provided screws) to the underframe.

1924730375_LMSD1796StoveR(03)-RollingChassisBody.jpg.5c6d8ac875bf4b54c65c9e48f725eebd.jpg

It’s a while since I built a carriage (about 3 months) and I had forgotten what a faff and bore it is soldering in door hinges and door stops!  It now needs a bit of a clean before the next stage. I’ll make the roof detachable so will solder some sort of spacer/reinforcing plate midway along, between the eaves, through which a nut and bolt to the roof can be secured.

Kind regards,

Iain

Very nice - you must be one of the cleanest solderers known to Man, or very good at cleaning up! :smile_mini2:

• Agree 5

7 hours ago, great central said:

Seems quite obvious to me. Given a small loco it's unlikely to be travelling very far at a time, either shunting a yard or perhaps on pick up freight duties.

When a suitable break in the work occurs the small bunker is topped up, when stationary, from the extra supply rather than having to return to depot.

Water columns for the tanks are fairly frequently placed so that is less of an issue. 

Nice looking little model.

Thank you great central. 

I think you are correct regarding the temporary tender. I found some information about them on the Connoisseur Models website. 

The loco is a Connoisseur Models kit and the first one I ever built successfully. 

Kind regards 

Nick. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Iain.d said:

I did a little looking but couldn’t see if others had experienced a similar issue.

It's an issue whenever you use Hornby wheels as the flanges are deeper than the finer ones the kit designers presumably use.  I have to make the same alteration to MJT bogies, for example, when building those.  It's almost automatic now, I don't even think about it.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Very nice - you must be one of the cleanest solderers known to Man, or very good at cleaning up! :smile_mini2:

Thanks! 

I don't have much of a soldering philosophy, I use the smallest bit a job will allow and the least amount of solder I can get away with on the bit.  I learned the basics from reading Ian Rice's Etched Loco Construction in the early 90s. For soldering brass with 145 or 188 degree solder I have three bits: small (~1.2mm tip), medium (~2mm tip) (rarely used) and big (~3mm tip). On the Stove R I used the small bit for the hinges, drop lights, door stops, body fixing nuts and brake gear. I used the big bit for joining the sides to the ends, doing the solebars and the headstocks. I have a cheap Chinese soldering iron station with a temperature control, but what the digital display displays is probably not accurate - I generally have it set on 365 degrees for brass work, occasionally going a little higher, and 200 degrees (its lowest displayed setting) for whitemetal.  I don't think the accuracy of 'my setting' is that important, I think it's all kind of relative, it's more a case of knowing the iron and making small changes to the temperature as each task is slightly different - it depends how much the brass sucks the heat away from the tip. To some that may seem somewhat rudimentary and agricultural and I'm aware there are some good videos available explaining in some detail the temperatures that one should use but my method works for me.

As to cleaning, I do scrub the brass with Jif and a toothbrush after most soldering sessions. On the Stove R above you can see it hasn't yet been scrubbed because my fingerprints are all over it!  Sometimes I use too much solder or too much flux (the solder will flow to wherever the flux is) and it can sometimes blob or run a bit. On the top left hand hinge of the door above you can see where the solder flowed through the hole the hinge comes through and onto the body side. I carefully filed off the excess, sometimes I use a scapel blade to scrape the excess off. I have never used one of those solder wick things. I think its always easier to add a bit more solder/flux/heat than it is to take it off.  I still believe I have a fair way to go with soldering, I certainly haven't mastered the art of it -  I'm a shocker when it comes to trying to sweat stuff together!! I might even reach for the glue, but I wouldn't say that too loudly around here....

Kind regards,

Iain

Edited by Iain.d
Correct book title
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

It's an issue whenever you use Hornby wheels as the flanges are deeper than the finer ones the kit designers presumably use.  I have to make the same alteration to MJT bogies, for example, when building those.  It's almost automatic now, I don't even think about it.

Most kits were/are designed around Jackson/Romford/Markits or Gibson wheels which historically err on the side of being slightly undersized over the treads to keep the flanges within bounds. 

Modern Hornby wheels are right size over treads so the flanges often foul kit floors or brake gear. As a consequence, the instructions in many kits caution the builder against using RTR wheels.

Hornby's metal coach wheels are good, and were stupidly cheap when first released but Hornby have caught on, and recent price changes have eroded the advantage.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4