Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Merchant Navies - Packets

Hampshire Units - Bog Carts.*

* Also Thumpers, and the later-formed mixed-width DeMu/Emu crossbreeds were Tadpoles (both self-explanatory).

Q1's - Charlies (sometimes Coffee Pots).

Air-smoothed Bulleids were sometimes called "Flat-tops" - I think to differentiate them from the rebuilt variety. Early in "my time" as a spotter, the final MN had been rebuilt, so it became exclusive to the WC/BB locos. 

John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Headstock said:

It must be Thursday, crazy caption competition time.

1346815300_Captioncomp2copy.jpg.83d0359675d1c027062c0d90beb57570.jpg

'Sir' will have trouble moving the loco he is intently staring at - it's on a track outside the control of the depot operator.

Somewhere I have an extremely incriminating piece of video of some attempted operating on Grantham ...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

* Also Thumpers, and the later-formed mixed-width DeMu/Emu crossbreeds were Tadpoles (both self-explanatory).

Q1's - Charlies (sometimes Coffee Pots).

Air-smoothed Bulleids were sometimes called "Flat-tops" - I think to differentiate them from the rebuilt variety. Early in "my time" as a spotter, the final MN had been rebuilt, so it became exclusive to the WC/BB locos. 

John

Oddly, I never heard the term 'Thumper' or 'Flat Top' until preservation days.

I was fortunate to work at the Mid Hants before I retired and moved away. 'Thumper' or just 'Hampshire Unit' were the terms commonly use. As for unrebuilt Bulleids those who had to maintain them had many names  - most unrepeatable on a forum where children might see. However, with reference to the oil bath, 'Slimey Thing' was often used, also 'Skip' which, if you could imagine one upside down, the shape of the casing would resemble. One of my colleagues referred to them as the 'Toilet Class' - from West Country WC - he could think of name related to bodily waste for every member of the class... All in good fun of course, they were appreciated for their better qualities. Happy Days!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Flat-top was definitely in use down West in the early 1960s. It would have always been appropriate [and] if it was even older, it would have come into its own for telling the original and rebuilt locos apart in conversation.

We didn't get Thumpers down our way until the desperate times of the Fifty-fifties but the name was certainly attached by then. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
[Added]
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

What a contrast to my picture of early 9Fs on their first allocation, the Ebbw Vale ore trains...  I look forward to seeing the finished article. 

No problems with wheelbase accuracy were encountered in creating this picture.  Sometimes I graft (copy/paint) prototype driving wheels and motion on... it's mostly the subtleties of flanges and wheel treads and spokes and rod dimensions which make the difference, and as you point out Tony the general pipework was pretty impressive on the real' engines.

Cheers 

92002_9F_Ebbw_Vale3_2abcd_r2080a.jpg.03984408bd40b53fa76eef4e533acfd6.jpg

Edited by robmcg
typos
  • Like 11

If you insist on an ER 9F which were to my mind the most sadly underutilised 9Fs of all...  not in their early years on the ECML  but in so many being scrapped before even a first grade A overhaul.

Beautiful stuff and much-liked by crews.

92189_9F_country_portrait1_1abcdefg_r2080.jpg.7f7f566bf523e47c61d7a16a07aec069.jpg

And so impressive!

92189_9F_shed3_10A_3abcdefg1_r2080a.jpg.7df151ca4f6f60b64d367f04c64c75b7.jpg

Although why one would blow off on shed is beyond explanation...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, bbishop said:

Things "dawn sarf" were so much simpler, we just had  Cromptons (including Slim Jims) and EDs (electro-diesels).  Mind you we knew the intricacies of the SUBs and EPBs.    Bill

Shebas?

Nelsons?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Shebas?

'A very great train', no less.

And you could spot a Nelson coming from a good distance away by that characteristic sway of the corridor connection on the cab front.

Gosh, they seem a world away now, don't they?

Pete T.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My first meeting with Tony I was somewhat dreading, but he was nothing but kind and generous to me... Indeed its interesting in that the time spent with the Tony having a chat before wandering through to the railway room, that he is, if anything deferential. 

Indeed on my last visit I am ashamed to say that I was rude and started a fit of giggles that was just not right... Tony and I were in the kitchen and I'm afraid I found the situation somewhat bizzare. Here was a highly respected modeller reduced to a complete tyro, and proving that he was indeed human after all! The situation was rescued by Mo of course. I'm sorry Tony, I'm still giggling writing this!

I think you reminded me of my Dad, and his similar visits to the kitchen when I was a child. It also shows the modal shift in society in that its generally down to me to do the cooking at home, with the rare day that SWMBO does some..

I likened meeting Tony, to much the same as meeting Russ Smith from Practical Classics mag. I went over to Russ's house in Bourne to pick up a Dolly axle that he had spare. To me he was a God as he had started the move to put Fiat Twin Cam lumps in minors, and indeed ran one for 60K miles. Yet here we were, sat either side of his kitchen table talking rubbish about cars. Just a normal guy. 

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Now that has completely done me, well done my good sir. I’m near wetting myself. 

Morning Jesse,

there's probably a caption in that but I won't push my luck.

Edited by Headstock
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nelsons?

I assume you mean 4COR's etc and not the very large 4-6-0's?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I assume you mean 4COR's etc and not the very large 4-6-0's?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Most 4-CORs were 'Nelsons', a few sets had 6-PUL motor brake seconds.  There were also 4-PUL, 4-BUF amd 4-GRI.  Simples!  Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Most 4-CORs were 'Nelsons', a few sets had 6-PUL motor brake seconds.  There were also 4-PUL, 4-BUF amd 4-GRI.  Simples!  Bill

Oh dear!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

My first meeting with Tony I was somewhat dreading, but he was nothing but kind and generous to me... Indeed its interesting in that the time spent with the Tony having a chat before wandering through to the railway room, that he is, if anything deferential. 

Indeed on my last visit I am ashamed to say that I was rude and started a fit of giggles that was just not right... Tony and I were in the kitchen and I'm afraid I found the situation somewhat bizzare. Here was a highly respected modeller reduced to a complete tyro, and proving that he was indeed human after all! The situation was rescued by Mo of course. I'm sorry Tony, I'm still giggling writing this!

I think you reminded me of my Dad, and his similar visits to the kitchen when I was a child. It also shows the modal shift in society in that its generally down to me to do the cooking at home, with the rare day that SWMBO does some..

I likened meeting Tony, to much the same as meeting Russ Smith from Practical Classics mag. I went over to Russ's house in Bourne to pick up a Dolly axle that he had spare. To me he was a God as he had started the move to put Fiat Twin Cam lumps in minors, and indeed ran one for 60K miles. Yet here we were, sat either side of his kitchen table talking rubbish about cars. Just a normal guy. 

Andy G

You're too kind Andy (by the way, those Scottish kits are still sitting here waiting for you).

I recall that kitchen moment.

I'm probably the world's least-emancipated man. I use our kitchen as a thoroughfare. I'm aware of several devices in it - some of which get hot and some of which get cold. Some whirr and wobble, and one seems to fascinate the cat inasmuch as she wants to get inside it when its door is open. The whole place is a mystery to me, though I can make tea/coffee, and prepare beans on toast. After that, I'm stuffed!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

'Sir' will have trouble moving the loco he is intently staring at - it's on a track outside the control of the depot operator.

Somewhere I have an extremely incriminating piece of video of some attempted operating on Grantham ...

I hope all goes well at Donny, Graham.

It's sure to, now that I'm not operating Grantham.

I've not seen this 'incriminating' video, though I'm sure I know on which occasion it was taken.

Not just the blind leading the blind, but, in my case (I'm the latter) 'the blind leading the dunce'!

As I say, layout operation and TW are incompatible. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry Tony, It's a shame I'll carry with me to the grave, but it I couldn't help it.... You are so organised and in charge in the railway department, but so totally lost in the kitchen.. I'm sorry!

Yes I haven't forgotten about them, it just been hectic over here recently, so now the weather is improving I'll come up with a date to come over. Do you want me to bring a pack-up to stop a similar repeat?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

I'm sorry Tony, It's a shame I'll carry with me to the grave, but it I couldn't help it.... You are so organised and in charge in the railway department, but so totally lost in the kitchen.. I'm sorry!

Yes I haven't forgotten about them, it just been hectic over here recently, so now the weather is improving I'll come up with a date to come over. Do you want me to bring a pack-up to stop a similar repeat?

Andy G

No need for a pack-up, Andy,

I'll leave everything to Mo!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On loco nicknames we had a few over the years in Birmingham. We only saw SR locos on specials or trips to the South Coast but the Pacifics got the names of Navvies, Closets (WC) and Brigittes (BB).

Local ones for LMS types included

Consols - Stanier 8F (Consolidation wheel arrangement)

Duck 8 - LNWR 0-8-0

Baby Scot - Unrebuilt Patriot

Flying Pig - Ivatt Class 4

All Coronations were Semis irrespective of the original variant, my Dad explaining the reason when I saw one on a Sunday diversion at Stechford around 1953.

All DMUs were Bog Carts, except of course for the Flying Bananas and Bubble Cars. I never got to see the Flying Brick which I have always regarded of the true parent of the Pacer.

AM4s were Bouncy Castles in the early 1970s on account of sprung seats and rough riding. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1