Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

B16s are cool,

Yes, they are lovely, every bit as lovely as Robinson's L1s.

I wouldn't dare to imply that criticisms of the usefulness, and especially the braking ability of the latter class, were wholly fabricated by those who didn't like their appearance or their lowly tank-engine status, but despite being only a numerically small class they all saw out at least three and a half decades of service at a time when the "impoverished" LNER was still finding scope to send some other, younger, numerically small classes of less widely criticised locos to the scrapyard.

Hey, what about Robert Urie's S15 class for the LSWR. Nothing poncy or frilly here (and two are preserved on the Mid Hants). Both the B16's and S15's were designed for fast freights, where the most important factor was stopping the train, and were also happy on medium paced passenger trains.

Bill

Just kidding, though now I come to mention it, I'm sure i've seen a paper doily laid out on the seat of an S15.

I wouldn't dare to imply that criticisms of the usefulness, and especially the braking ability of the latter class, were wholly fabricated by those who didn't like their appearance or their lowly tank-engine status, but despite being only a numerically small class they all saw out at least three and a half decades of service at a time when the "impoverished" LNER was still finding scope to send some other, younger, numerically small classes of less widely criticised locos to the scrapyard.

How did you conclude it was an L1. L1s are cool.

• RMweb Gold

I understood that all tank engines of whichever company were frequently found wanting on goods workings because their braking ability was relative to the coal and water on board at the time.  2000 gallons of ex-water in a big pug is a lot of weight to lose, plus there were six tender wheels accompanied by brake shoes that were absent.

• RMweb Gold

Did someone mention Urie S15s?

blogentry-6720-0-77664300-1429099078.jpg

Al

Thanks for posting that, Al,

Excellent work.

Without checking up, is that one of the SR 4-6-0s now available RTR from Hornby? I know they did (do?) an Arthur. 

I assume the loco is a DJH kit? If there is an RTR equivalent, I imagine sales now of the DJH kit will be almost nil. Yet another kit being 'eroded' away. 

I've never built an S15, though I have built an Arthur (from a Crownline kit). Unfortunately, the front steps had to go to get round the layout curves of the guy who bought it. Did you have any problems with the steps on your curves?

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Without checking up, is that one of the SR 4-6-0s now available RTR from Hornby?

Yes it is Tony. If you would like one, we have one as a raffle prize (very generously donated by Hornby) at the BRMA Convention :).

• Like 1

I remember seeing a marvelous Southern layout many years ago, that had some fantastic 'local' 4-6-0 locomotives. A T14 paddlebox and a H15 amongst others, types that (along with a myriad of others) seem to have long since vanished from the exhibition circuit. Nice to see a kit built S15 though.

• RMweb Gold

I have a conundrum to lob into debate which I hope some one might have some suggestions on.

I have a Johnson 1f tank kit to build and I am keen to find a reason to be able to run it on Monsal Dale.

The station itself is bracketed by Bakewell and Millers Dale (the one an important Market town - goods shed and sidings - and the other a large station and major junction facilitating the link to Buxton whilst also serving the limestone quarries, lime works, and local dairy & agricultural trade) I assume there were watering facilities at Millers Dale but perhaps not at Bakewell. Sheds were at Rowsley (7 miles) and Buxton (11 miles) either side of Monsal Dale. I assume that there will have been 1fs shunting the quarry and lime works sidings at Millers Dale - presumably shedded at Buxton. I have a photo of one shunting at Bakewell but have no idea if that was a regular occurrence. 

I have no idea of the range of a 1f ..... either in terms of coal or watering. Can anyone think of a believable scenario by which you might see a 1f pootling through Monsaldale and what it might be doing/pulling.  

Personally, I take the view that if you like it then build it. but - and this is the big bit, I would not do it until you have a good stock of the locos that you do "need" The time expended on the 1F would give you something that you really do need and in my view that should be the priority.

Regards,

Craig W

Here's another Southern 4-6-0, completely scratch built Arthur in 2mm (though not quite finished) from master loco builder John Greenwood.

Arthur 2.jpg

Jerry

If I could build like that in 4mm or 7mm I’d be delighted.

Lovely stuff.

• RMweb Gold

These two S15's are both built from DJH kits (but not by me!):

No.499 is the Urie version built an painted for me by Chris Phillips:

post-14629-0-61012700-1537092707_thumb.jpg

No.847 is the Maunsell version which I acquired via Tony from the estate of a deceased modeller and so the builder is unknown:

post-14629-0-09300800-1537091870_thumb.jpg

As has been said, Hornby have only produced the Maunsell version and there is no doubt that it has a level of detail that the kit-built examples do not achieve; nevertheless they are pretty good models with excellent haulage capability.

I love the look of the S15's; here is the real thing on the Bluebell Railway (my image):

post-14629-0-30031900-1537092454_thumb.jpg

[with apologies - not often I can post SR pictures on an LNER thread!]

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting that, Al,

Excellent work.

Without checking up, is that one of the SR 4-6-0s now available RTR from Hornby? I know they did (do?) an Arthur. 

I assume the loco is a DJH kit? If there is an RTR equivalent, I imagine sales now of the DJH kit will be almost nil. Yet another kit being 'eroded' away. 

I've never built an S15, though I have built an Arthur (from a Crownline kit). Unfortunately, the front steps had to go to get round the layout curves of the guy who bought it. Did you have any problems with the steps on your curves?

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks, Tony. You've seen this one in the flesh, fully painted, as it got a trot around Little Bytham in 2015. I tried searching for one of the images you took, but haven't yet been able to locate

it.

Hornby do the later straight-footplate S15 but they haven't yet done one of the Urie builds, although I imagine they might tackle it if sales of the first type were strong. They could even do

one in LSWR goods green, if they changed the chimney. 

These must have had an impact on DJH as I see quite a few S15 kits turning up on ebay lately.

I think the footsteps on an S15 must be more forgiving than an Arthur, as this one didn't present any difficulties. I do remember having a struggle getting my Hornby Arthurs to traverse all my

curves with steps fitted.

Al

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Scratch built in 2mm scale, absolutely amazing,nothing short of a work of art.

Regards

David

i saw it at Rail Wells and was knocked out by what an amazing bit of modelling it was (although, looking

from a distance, I wasn't immediately sure if it was an S15 or an Arthur). I can't get my around head how

anyone can get valve gear to work in 2mm; it's challenging (and fiddly) enough for me at twice the size.

• RMweb Gold

The Arthurs are really elegant loco's, however the driving wheels look just a tad too 'big'. The S15s are really elegant loco's, however the driving wheels look just a tad too 'small'

Phil

And Gresley's Pacifics look just right ;)

Edited by Bucoops

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of front footsteps, as Tony was, the needs of railway modellers couldn't have been uppermost in Maunsell's considerations when he designed the Schools.

post-6720-0-51568000-1537100875_thumb.jpg

I've added front steps to this Schools but they're a definite compromise. As fitted, it'll just squeak around my outer curves but it's really on the limit. The steps aren't

quite right, though, as the real things are set back in quite noticeably, with an angled top piece. I feel that the character of the loco is missing something without

steps, though, so I'd rather have something rather than nothing. They could do with being a bit longer still, which I might do at some point. The length isn't really

the problem, it's just that I underestimated the size a bit when making them. In the long run the loco could probably do with some clever side-play restriction or

conversion to an effective 2-6-0, but I'll enjoy it as-is for the time being, even if it's on a restricted operation!

Al

• Like 1