Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Received today Tony - very many thanks again.  I really didn't expect all this when popping to your stand at Woking.  I've no excuses to not finish the O4 off now.

I will put a further suitable donation in the local CRUK shop this weekend, if that's OK? 

I think you've donated already, Rob.

If you want to donate more, I'll leave it up to you.

Glad the bits arrived. I'm not being altruistic, I assure you. I have hundreds of spares, acquired over decades of railway modelling. Better those buffers, chimney and dome be used, rather than they live in dusty boxes.

Regards,

Tony. 

I do apologies for the lateness in replies, I have been rather busy getting on with the layout.

You mentioned Tony if anyone has any pictures of old influential layouts, well as I am still young, and you know this already, but yourself and Little Bytham were my main influence when I first started proper modelling. For years I had seen Little Bytham in the magazines and I really looked up to it, it was very influential on me, it was after a certain magazine article, I fell in love and decided to model the East Coast Mainline. I do believe Gilberts Peterborugh North and Roy Jackons Retford had something to do with it as well, also another layout, Tetley mills and how could I forget The Gresley Beat! It was then after seeing these wonderful pre-war days on the Gresley Beat that I fell in love with the LNER. I distinctively remember seeing the March 2014 BRM edition which struck home for me, was Grahams article on his layout Grantham the Streamliner Years, so I went back 20 years and decided on the LNER. 

The point I am slowly getting at is, I feel so privileged to be able to call you my friend as well as Graham, Johnathan, Graeme and Roy and to be privileged to be able to have seen Peterborugh North, Retford and also to help build and operate Grantham in the small way I did. 

I must say thankyou to all, reading through and seeing inspirational/influential layouts and people, made me write this as to how much of an effect everyone as had on me.

Cheers

See you in less then two weeks. 

P.S Here come the English lessons!!!! 

• Like 12

Jesse, I'll see you as well and I can echo the comments but mine go back to a V2 description from Railway Modeller in December 1989 along with a Layout (name has escaped me at the mo'), along we seeing 'Flying Scotsman' at full cry in central Victoria in mid 1989 as well! that is where the interest in the LNER started which has strayed up the norther area above York to the NER! 

I am looking forward to putting more than a name to the "Tony Wright" name having corresponded via RMweb and PM. 

Better get on and finish my little project to bring up with me... (work has been taking too much energy recently) 

Edited by DougN
  • Like 3

B16/1 61404, now complete and boxed up ready for the off in the morning.

Lovely model of a very well designed prototype.

It must have been one of the best UK locomotive investments .

If only the comparison report B16/3-B16/2-B16/1 had been made public or put to York.

Same wheeldiameter as Prussian P8 (3556 built) and less harmful to track and crew,because being three-cylindered.

Are there some pictures of B16/2and 3 models on this site?

• RMweb Gold

Are there some pictures of B16/2and 3 models on this site?

Indeed there are, and B16/1s. 

Some of these have been seen before, but pages and pages back. 

At the moment, it's one loco type not available (as yet?) RTR. I hope it stays that way, because, when we see a B16 on a layout it must mean it's been scratch-built or kit-built. 

post-18225-0-74622600-1536914896_thumb.jpg

B16/1: built from a DJH kit by Tony Geary. He made a new boiler for it, painted and weathered it. I tinkered with the chassis to give the performance I insist upon, fitting the correct, 12-spoke bogie wheels.

post-18225-0-32241400-1536914990_thumb.jpg

B16/1: built by Paul Hill of PDK, originally for Tom Foster. Again, I tinkered with its mech' to give sweeter running, and fitted the correct bogie wheels. 

post-18225-0-41573000-1536915330_thumb.jpg

B16/1: built in EM by Roy Jackson for use on Retford from a set of Steve Barnfield etches. Painted by Geoff Kent. 

post-18225-0-13723000-1536915126_thumb.jpg

B16/2: originally built for Tom Foster by Mike Edge from a (much altered) PDK kit. Tim Easter painted it originally, in 1948 LNER/BR transition plain black (BR number, but LNER on the tender). I replaced the motor/gearbox to improve the running, and repainted it in BR lined black. Tom weathered it. 

post-18225-0-29809800-1536915415_thumb.jpg

B16/3: one of my 'dawn of time' creations! An ancient Nu-Cast kit, scratch-built chassis and my own painting. 

post-18225-0-28616100-1536915487_thumb.jpg

B16/3: built by John Houlden for Tom Foster from a PDK kit (weathered by either John or Tom; I can't remember). Again, I fiddled with the chassis to get the performance I insist upon. 

I think these are very interesting (and unusual) models, and, as alluded to, at least to me, represent something refreshingly different from the overwhelming number of RTR locos one sees in the media and at shows these days.

Not in the same class as Headstock's B16/1 (apart from Roy's), but excellent layout locos nonetheless.  

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 15

There is a new issue of the B16 kit coming from London Road models. I'm rather taken with the ungainly nature of the B16's I would like one but there is a heap of kits in the to do pile before I am allowed to buy another loco kit.

attachicon.gifB16 1 61416.jpg ....... sanding pipes  :derisive:

B16/1: built from a DJH kit by Tony Geary. He made a new boiler for it, painted and weathered it. I tinkered with the chassis to give the performance I insist upon, fitting the correct, 12-spoke bogie wheels.

attachicon.gifB16 1 61477.jpg ....... no sanding pipes  :whistle:  

B16/1: built by Paul Hill of PDK, originally for Tom Foster. Again, I tinkered with its mech' to give sweeter running, and fitted the correct bogie wheels. 

attachicon.gifRetford 15 04.jpg ....... sanding pipes (I think)  :derisive:

B16/1: built in EM by Roy Jackson for use on Retford from a set of Steve Barnfield etches. Painted by Geoff Kent. 

attachicon.gifB16 2 61437.jpg ....... sanding pipes  :derisive:

B16/2: originally built for Tom Foster by Mike Edge from a (much altered) PDK kit. Tim Easter painted it originally, in 1948 LNER/BR transition plain black (BR number, but LNER on the tender). I replaced the motor/gearbox to improve the running, and repainted it in BR lined black. Tom weathered it. 

attachicon.gifB16 3 61448.jpg....... no sanding pipes  :whistle:

B16/3: one of my 'dawn of time' creations! An ancient Nu-Cast kit, scratch-built chassis and my own painting. 

attachicon.gifB16 3 61454.jpg....... sanding pipes  :derisive:

B16/3: built by John Houlden for Tom Foster from a PDK kit (weathered by either John or Tom; I can't remember). Again, I fiddled with the chassis to get the performance I insist upon. 

All very nice models but I am still debating....

Sanding pipes ..... are they worth the hassle? .... especially when the frames are dead? they certainly add a level of detail.  The sand boxes appear to be missing on some? or have I got that wrong.

As I use Protocab .... shorting is not an issue at all.

Would you fit sandpipes if you were using protocab Tony?

Edited by Lecorbusier

• RMweb Premium

Sanding pipes ..... are they worth the hassle? .... especially when the frames are dead? they certainly add a level of detail.  The sand boxes appear to be missing on some? or have I got that wrong.

One of the areas where locos have improved over the years in is the addition of more detail under the footplate. Even the locos on Buckingham were gradually having brakes and sandpipes added. No sandpipes is very 1970s!

Those B16s really are ungainly brutes. Malcolm Crawley built 2. One was from the Steve Barnfield kit (which is, I think, a pretty decent bash at a kit for the loco) and one from the DJH. It was surprising just how many differences there were considering that they were supposed to be the same loco. Similar difference appear in the two B16/1s illustrated here.

I couldn't persuade Malcolm to replace the insipid boiler on the DJH model and it always made an already ill proportioned loco look even worse!

You would't catch Robinson designing ugly things like that for the GCR. Unless you count the 2-6-4T. Or the Q4. OK, they all had the odd ones that didn't come out looking as good as it might!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Through eBay I have found 95% of people completely straight but 5% go out of their way to make life more complicated than it needs to be.  Telling the truth is easy, you only need remember one version.

I have had one buyer who complained they had some difficulty making payments and could I wait a week?  I said no problem as they had at least got in touch, but I rolled my eyes a week later, a glance at their feedback told me that they had been waiting to sell a dozen items and receive payments.  So their real problem was that they bought something they couldn't pay for.  You wouldn't do that in a restaurant, would you?

Been there done that, suddenly Ebay take your fees and the bit you were keeping aside has gone.

You KNOW you will get a sale so apologise and let the seller know it will be a little while.

Tends to happen to mainly sellers without bank links to paypal

• RMweb Premium

Does it, Mike?

I recall an amusing incident from my schooldays (about 1959, it would be) where there was a prediction that the world would end. On the 'penultimate' eve, our geography teacher set us homework for the morrow. My mates and I thought 'What's the point?', so didn't do it. Unfortunately for us, the world carried on, and we got the cane! 

Speaking of corporal punishment (or smacking children), I heard of a report today by some psychologists insisting that it should be universally banned. Now, I've no wish to turn this thread into a discussion about disciplining children, but only recently I've spoken with several (now ex-) teachers, who've got out because the standards of behaviour in some schools are so bad that their physical health was at risk, not to mention their mental state. 

In my schooldays, it would appear that flogging was on the curriculum. I wonder what detrimental effect it's had on my life? 

Depends on the teacher and level of punishment.

One teacher at our school was a complete bully and universally hated. Others were tough but fair and we all got on with.

I only got into trouble for telling a prefect to eff off when she wanted me to do lines so I carried out my threat and got her into trouble.

Don't smoke on school bus then expect a victim to NOT drop you in it.

Was happy to go powered 2 wheels as fresh air.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's what's known as "progress" Tony.  That's why we have kids taking & dealing drugs and stabbing each other.  Personally I also blame Video Games - the popular ones always seem to be either some form of fighting or driving games; the trouble is I think kids don't realise that when they've been killed or crashed n' burned they can't just press the reset button and start again in real life.....

The argument used at school shootings in US.

It is a false argument, video games do not cause violence issues like that.

• RMweb Premium

I am going to have to comment.

Most people are moderate with their politics and having a dig at anyone standing for a mainstream moderate party is uncalled for.

The fact the ex pupil was responsible enough to want to get into politics is good, and one of the 3 English main stream definately good.

I may disagree with certain politicians but they are entitied to have a go.

Oh and to be independant I do not like Corbyn nor Rees Mogg, but I am not going to insult their decision to get into politics.

Sorry for any typos as computer glasses are currently not being worn

• RMweb Premium

Graffiti..yes it is a problem but some customers like to see their weathered vehicles to look just like the real thing. 

post-7650-0-38259100-1536925309_thumb.jpg

I was sent some colour photos .. a few smallish Railtech transfers but mainly hand drawn 

post-7650-0-00804900-1536925336_thumb.jpg

It took a while to get them right ..but exactly like the photographs received.

And for fun a very old scratchbuilt B16 built my late father, painted and lined by me with a little bit of weathering added..new motor required (it has a DS10 which is very weak)

post-7650-0-62112800-1536925437_thumb.jpg

Baz

• Like 11

You made a personal observation, not a political comment, so you are excused.

P

I disagree (with the suggestion that it was not a political comment), the comment quite clearly included party political bias.

I might equally make a "personal observation" that if the named party is the "wrong" one then the most obvious alternative is far more wrong

Edited by gr.king

I'd say live and let live given that an apology was given ... knowing someones political proclivities is fine if they are happy for them to be known .... so long as we stop short of actually discussing politics, which can be divisive - and anyway modelling is so much more fun.

Edited by Lecorbusier

Indeed there are, and B16/1s. 

Some of these have been seen before, but pages and pages back. 

At the moment, it's one loco type not available (as yet?) RTR. I hope it stays that way, because, when we see a B16 on a layout it must mean it's been scratch-built or kit-built. 

attachicon.gifB16 1 61416.jpg

attachicon.gifB16 1 61477.jpg

attachicon.gifRetford 15 04.jpg

attachicon.gifB16 2 61437.jpg

attachicon.gifB16 3 61448.jpg

attachicon.gifB16 3 61454.jpg

I think these are very interesting (and unusual) models, and, as alluded to, at least to me, represent something refreshingly different from the overwhelming number of RTR locos one sees in the media and at shows these days.

Not in the same class as Headstock's B16/1 (apart from Roy's), but excellent layout locos nonetheless.  

Very nice pictures of  longlived,sensible locomotives.

If  they had gone to Barry there could be made a lot of ultra important tests.

Compound versus simple,

How fast can a 5feet 8 threecylinder  locomotive run etc.

Material for daydreaming

Thank You.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice pictures of  longlived,sensible locomotives.

If  they had gone to Barry there could be made a lot of ultra important tests.

Compound versus simple,

How fast can a 5feet 8 threecylinder  locomotive run etc.

Material for daydreaming

Thank You.

They'd have been wasted on me, sorry.

They'd have been wasted on me, sorry.

I did time on Motortorpedo boats(Old German E-boote) with three  twenty cylinder Mercedes 3000 horsepower diesel  engines each.

I  will hate Diesels to my dying day.

Whereas a front drive three cylinder 4-6-0 steam locomotives is pure music.

My only footplate ride was on a Heissler along Pacific coast in Tillamouk .

Memory is still swimming.It was lovely.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As I use Protocab .... shorting is not an issue at all.

Would you fit sandpipes if you were using protocab Tony?

The sandboxes are definitely missing on one or two of the locos, Tim,

I do fit sandpipes on some locos. Where they're particularly prominent. 

post-18225-0-25885000-1536943361_thumb.jpg

On this Schools, for instance. I also fitted the bogie splashers and the cylinder drain cock operating rods. Where you have a loco with such a void between its drivers, leaving off things like sandboxes/pipes would be unacceptable.

post-18225-0-56960600-1536943474_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-23013700-1536943545_thumb.jpg

I also fitted the front sandpipes to this pair of SEF J6s, recently featured.

post-18225-0-37109800-1536943603_thumb.jpg

However, most of the locos I've built don't have them for the reasons mentioned, and, on a layout, can you tell? 

Though shorts wouldn't be a problem with Protocab, fine sandpipes can become jammed against the wheels if the odd derailment occurs. Would I fit them? It depends how many locos one wants in the end. With no more than a dozen; yes. With over 150; no, in the main. 

• Like 16