Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

My last pic. from Saturday last.attachicon.gifBLC-©PwD-18-009-EditSm.jpg"Hello Roy"P

What a wonderful effect of perspective and changing levels of trackwork, very cleverly done. And the ubiquitous ‘bus on the bridge’ to finish it off. Very nice!

Some great examples of modelling posted here of late... my thanks, and please keep them coming, it is inspirational.

Phil.

• Like 1

Thanks Doug,

Black Lion Crossing is a lot smaller than Little Bytham, and, to be fair, it is not all Geoff's work. Roy Jackson built the track and John Phillips did a lot of the wiring. Roy has also built several of the locos. 

That same trio built High Dyke and Dunwhich (should it have a middle 'h'?), and Roy and John probably helped Geoff a little with Blakeney. Geoff has built the signal boxes for Retford, though I don't know if either have helped John with his Doncaster project. I know Tony Gee has. 

The point I was trying to make is that Geoff Kent is far more self-reliant than I am. He's capable of 'mastering' all the skills required in the building of a layout and everything which goes on it. His scratch-built rolling stock in 'Plastikard' is renowned, as is his architectural modelling. He can paint a loco as well as any I've had painted. He's one of the very best 'all round' modellers I know, and it's a privilege to know him (and Roy, and John, and Tony, and all the other contributors to the great, 'collective' projects). Though I think I can build a loco to the 'Retford' standard (I have done), I just gaze in admiration at the overall modelling on BLC; even though, strictly-speaking, it isn't an actual prototype location; however, all the elements are prototype-based. It's so beautifully-observed, nothing is out of place, and, knowing the area (like Geoff, I'm a contemporary Cestrian), as a boy/young adult, it captures that bit of industrial North Wales perfectly. 

As for people who say 'I can't do that', my aim has been to prove them wrong, with my one-to-one tutorials and 'lessons'. I must be lucky, because I've only failed on one occasion, and that was through my own arrogance. I thought I was a good enough teacher. I wasn't; another example of deluding myself! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Geoff has that rare combination of being able to produce individual models of the highest quality, architectural and rolling stock, with a theatrical flair that (a) produces a "real" location that looks like it just grew through history, and (b) draws in the eye of the beholder with intriguing view-lines.  Like Constable, really,  On Blakeney, you are drawn into the station, round the corner of the station building and under the canopies, and on Black Dog it is the subtle, intertwining changing of ground level that holds my eye.  He also has an amazing capacity and delight in hard, detailed graft.  Apparently he hand-painted all the crests on Retford's Pullmans.

Tone

Apologies - posted this twice by accident.  Silly old fool.

Tone

Edited by Hollar
  • Like 1

Geoff has that rare combination of being able to produce individual models of the highest quality, architectural and rolling stock, with a theatrical flair that (a) produces a "real" location that looks like it just grew through history, and (b) draws in the eye of the beholder with intriguing view-lines.  Like Constable, really.

And on top of all that, he's a very nice chap. (I bet he's good at football too!).   :smile_mini2:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

What a wonderful effect of perspective and changing levels of trackwork, very cleverly done. And the ubiquitous ‘bus on the bridge’ to finish it off. Very nice!

Some great examples of modelling posted here of late... my thanks, and please keep them coming, it is inspirational.

Phil.

Phil,

Some pictures of BLC from a previous visit.............

post-18225-0-35711000-1530003866_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-92875900-1530003885_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-73284000-1530003911_thumb.jpg

It really is modelling of the highest-quality.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Geoff has that rare combination of being able to produce individual models of the highest quality, architectural and rolling stock, with a theatrical flair that (a) produces a "real" location that looks like it just grew through history, and (b) draws in the eye of the beholder with intriguing view-lines.  Like Constable, really,  On Blakeney, you are drawn into the station, round the corner of the station building and under the canopies, and on Black Dog it is the subtle, intertwining changing of ground level that holds my eye.  He also has an amazing capacity and delight in hard, detailed graft.  Apparently he hand-painted all the crests on Retford's Pullmans.

Tone

Apologies - posted this twice by accident.  Silly old fool.

Tone

Thanks Tone,

It's actually 'Black Lion'. Black Dog was the name of another layout from years ago, though not in the same league. 

Regards,

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

The DJH A1 always seems to have more 'presence' than the Bachmann version.

Thanks David,

I entirely agree.

This observation (comparing RTR with kit-built) has been made before, and discussed before. In many ways, this thread (a bit like life?) is cyclic and comes around to points made (and disputed?) in the past. I feel it's still relevant, though, especially as there always seems to be new viewers, and wading back through over a thousand pages is a bit daunting. 

post-18225-0-63123800-1530004581_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-88519300-1530004620_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-01298000-1530004648_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-98668300-1530004678_thumb.jpg

These are Bachmann A1s in various BR green guises, released over the last few years (strangely, I can't find a picture of the original ABERDONIAN version). As base models, I think they're very good (and exceptional value), but there are areas which (in my view) let them down. The relative ride-height between the footplate under the cab and the soleplate of the tender irritates, and the wrong lean of the return crank this side needs altering. Those missing wiggly pipes on the smokebox are also conspicuous by their absence, and, in the case of 60157, nobody at Bachmann appeared to know than the example chosen was a roller-bearing one, and, as such, should only have one lubricator and round keeps to the 'boxes on the Cartazzi truck and tender. The bogie wheels are also poor in appearance and the too-be-added front footsteps are very vulnerable, as is the vacuum standpipe. Thick, plastic smoke deflectors also detract from the appearance. 

post-18225-0-70613400-1530005132_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-62941300-1530005167_thumb.jpg

That the base model can be improved, there's no doubt. Here's my original ABERDONIAN, to which I've fitted etched brass deflectors (spare DJH ones), raised the rear end, close-coupled the loco-to-tender, fitted new bogie wheels, added all those wiggly pipes, renumbered and renamed it and asked Ian Rathbone to weather it. Please note, that in the second picture those grossly over-scale lamps have been replaced. 

post-18225-0-72331400-1530005420_thumb.jpg

I did much the same thing with KING'S COURIER, in this case not even altering its identity. Tim Shackleton weathered this one. 

post-18225-0-46878600-1530005589_thumb.jpg

I also did the same thing with another 'Darlington-built' Bachmann A1, turning it into 60138. I did the weathering on this.

post-18225-0-04908700-1530005507_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-22910000-1530005531_thumb.jpg

You've obviously done many improvements/alterations to your own Bachmann A1s. 

I think all the altered examples above are quite acceptable as 'layout locos', up to a point; that being mainly that none of these will take the trains on LB with the same ease as my kit-built ones. In some cases, their lack of haulage-ability renders them useless on the heaviest trains. 

DJH ones to follow......................

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

post-18225-0-28828500-1530006039_thumb.jpg

Obviously, I'm going to prefer making my own A1s, mainly from DJH kits. I firmly believe that an example like this has far more 'presence' than the Bachmann one (especially with an Ian Ratbone paint finish). Yes, I should disguise the Romford nuts on the ends of the axles, but this will pull  anything I choose to hang behind its tender.

post-18225-0-52916600-1530006211_thumb.jpg

ALCAZAR was a Stoke Summit stalwart, as she is on LB.

post-18225-0-03679800-1530006266_thumb.jpg

As was KESTREL, seen here romping by on 11 Hornby/Comet/Trice Pullman cars. LB's scenic work has come on leaps and bounds since I took this shot!

post-18225-0-98547200-1530006374_thumb.jpg

As mentioned, most of my customers down the years have requested DJH A1s be built for them, painted by Ian Rathbone. This one was built for a friend, and I was helpful in his selling it on. 

post-18225-0-95940900-1530006494_thumb.jpg

Apart from 60125, the two other Bachmann A1s I modified have been sold-on. This is why I prefer to build my own, as DJH A1 60116 takes a heavy Kings+-Newcastle express through LB, with ease...........

I'm sure many are happy with their Bachmann A1s. Altering/improving/detailing them is well within the capabilities of even the most inexperienced of modellers (apart from, perhaps, replacing the deflectors). 

• Like 17

I've lost count now of the number of Thanes of Fife (or should that be Thane of Fifes?) I've built, but it's well into double figures. 

Ah! Here I can help. It should be 'Thane of Fifes', in exactly the same way that multiple models of 60007 are 'Sir Nigel Gresleys' rather than 'Sirs Nigel Gresley'. But if you really, really dislike the pluralisation (and I know you've said before that it just sounds wrong, which is a perfectly legitimate argument), simply refer to 'the number of 60505s you've built'.

Regards,

Gavin

• Like 1

I always understood that the plural of gin and tonic was gins and tonic - such is the English language. Where would we be without it?

Stephen

That's interesting - I'd not heard that before. Although I'd have thought that 'gin and tonics' would be preferable, if only to avoid the potential for confusion in differentiating 'gins and tonic' from 'a double gin and tonic'? 

In any case, the solution is easy enough: avoid pluralising altogether. "I had a gin and tonic. And then another. And then one after that, and then a couple more to keep them company, and then one to lead a rescue party of a few more to find out where the first ones had got to - and that, darling, is why you found me under the table later, clinging on to the floor for balance."

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting - I'd not heard that before. Although I'd have thought that 'gin and tonics' would be preferable, if only to avoid the potential for confusion in differentiating 'gins and tonic' from 'a double gin and tonic'? 

In any case, the solution is easy enough: avoid pluralising altogether. "I had a gin and tonic. And then another. And then one after that, and then a couple more to keep them company, and then one to lead a rescue party of a few more to find out where the first ones had got to - and that, darling, is why you found me under the table later, clinging on to the floor for balance."

I would suggest. “...models of Thane of Fife”. Thane of Fife should remain singular, it is the models that are pleural.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony, 

If you please, would you share how you do this?

Kind regards

A smear of blu-tak or plasticine into the slots then painted allows later access to the screw for repair or maintenance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony, 

If you please, would you share how you do this?

Kind regards

Plasticine or Blu-Tak.  

Pressed over the nut end, pared flat with a sharp, small chisel or flat-ended craft knife, then painted matt black. It can then be easily removed/dug out should the need arise to remove the wheel in future. 

Edited because I should have read the post above......................

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Markits make "axle nut covers" that fit on the axle end. Many of them are also sold with balance weights.

Scroll down to Section 2C here.

http://www.markits.com/MARKITS_Price_Guide_2013_09.pdf

Jason

They do Jason,

The problem is that they have to be fitted by using the screw-in crankpins to hold them in place. That means you have to remove the crankpins should the need arise to remove the drivers in the future. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony hope all is well.

It’s been a while since my last post about my inspection saloon, and after rebuilding it I have finished it.

Your advice about the lining from replica railways has been very helpful. Thank you Tony for your help and advice.

Mark

Lovely stuff, Mark,

A great improvement. Well done! 

Doesn't the lining look fine? As does the whole saloon. 

Regards,

Tony. 

G'Day Folks

I have to ask, why doesn't your A1's haul a decent train ? have you added lead, are the wheels to smooth, they are (fairly) modern locos' or are most Bachmann loco's poor (I'll admit most of mine aren't very good) I have some old Tri-Ang  A3's and without added weight, haul 8 coaches, I'll have to add some weight and find out what they will pull.

Terry (aka manna)