Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

Locos waddling, real ones do. When Replica first marketed the Class 03 shunter I was working in a model shop and loads of customers complained about them waddling. I told them it is prototypical for a short wheel base diesel. As an apprentice with the CEGB I worked at Cliff Quay power station in Ipswich, to get there in the mornings I had walk along the quayside where BR done their best to try and mow me down with class 03s lurching from side to side as they bombed about.

I have also had the pleasure of driving 03s and 04s at Mangapps  Railway Museum. You don't half feel the sideways waddle as the loco moves in a zig zag down the track.

And one must not forget the nick name given to Montague the pannier tank in the Thomas stories because he waddled..................Duck. 

Hi Clive,

You are right of course... if I recall correctly, the 15xx panniers used for empty stock movements at Old Oak Common were notorious for their gauge widening properties, owing to their short wheelbase and pronounced waddle.  My worst offender however is a Hornby B1, its deportment contrasts markedly with its classmates, so it awaits new driving wheels... the waddle being caused by a poorly centred one that, frankly, should have been picked up by QC at the factory.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

2325 was always my favourite to drive. When were you active down there? Life got in the way in about 1999 so have rarely been back since :(

I was never active at Mangapps, but I have organised a few driver experience days with June and John. I am good mates with Jim Walpole and John Wisken who seem to do a bit down there.

post-16423-0-10830500-1529494142_thumb.jpg

D2325 shunting on Pig Lane, James pointed out I had a persevered 03 from another railway when I exhibited Pig Lane at Mangapps so my next 04 had to be a Mangapps one.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was never active at Mangapps, but I have organised a few driver experience days with June and John. I am good mates with Jim Walpole and John Wisken who seem to do a bit down there.

Ah :)

Jim the carpenter and Whiskers? Remember them well. I never actually passed out as a driver, was just a learner for a while before I had to give it up. The Jolly family are the friendliest bunch.

Good morning Clem,

The replacement wheels look superb. The Bachmann K3 is a somewhat squat looking plodder, you have restored the locomotives true proportions to that of a leggy fast freight locomotive. With regard to the valve gear, I was a little surprised you didn't go for the SE Finecast version.

I see what you mean about the return crank, not very LNER. However, its the radius rod that dose my head in on the Bachmann model, it must be a good foot (in scale) short of the valve spindle guide. In addition, in middle gear, it should run in a dead straight line from above the valve guide, through the expansion link, including the lifting link and connecting to the weigh shaft. I'm thinking that there may be some benefit in raising the height of the cylinders back under the running board to get a better alignment. This also may look better as the cylinder cover plate doesn't curve over the top of the cylinders like an LMS locomotive, it ends flush with and is bolted to the running board. I also think that it would really be worth losing that big screw sticking out of the motion bracket.

It looks as if your killer spiders have eaten the loco crew. I should demand that they spin up a replacement radius rod as repentance.

Hi Andrew,

With hindsight, I'd do a number of things differently with the K3 including using SEF valve gear. But it was a bit of an experimental conversion and it now fills a gap for the layout. I'm afraid that none of my trains have engine crew as I haven't got to the stage where I'm doing any 'real' operating. It is a work in progress and doesn't have any signals or a timetable at this point in time and that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. But rest assured, assuming I live long enough these things will be attended to. :-)

• RMweb Premium

Ah :)

Jim the carpenter and Whiskers? Remember them well. I never actually passed out as a driver, was just a learner for a while before I had to give it up. The Jolly family are the friendliest bunch.

That will be the fellas. The whole set up at Mangapps is great, very friendly.

• Like 2

So ... by my calcs ... ±£125 for the base Hornby model, £40 for the Comet chassis, £69 for a markits Britannia wheel set pack, ±£40 for a motor and gearbox combo .... total £274 ?

So unless used directly from the box as is (with a few tweaks and weathering), it seems to me that there is little to no difference between RTR and Kit building in cost terms and the choice is very much what might be best for the project or the builder's preference?

Absolutely and don't forget the cost of etched smoke deflectors! However, I did buy the base model second hand for a lot less than £125. Incidentally, I'm  pretty sure that I used Alan Gibson wheels.

Hi Andrew,

With hindsight, I'd do a number of things differently with the K3 including using SEF valve gear. But it was a bit of an experimental conversion and it now fills a gap for the layout. I'm afraid that none of my trains have engine crew as I haven't got to the stage where I'm doing any 'real' operating. It is a work in progress and doesn't have any signals or a timetable at this point in time and that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. But rest assured, assuming I live long enough these things will be attended to. :-)

Clem,

I don't think you need any excuses in my book. If I come across as pernickety it's because I am really enjoying what you are showing. It may be heresy to some but a work in progress can be the most interesting part of any project.

• RMweb Premium

"There's a considerable difference between the domes!"

Hello Tony

When Britannia herself was introduced her dome was very flat and I suspect this is what Triang/Hornby based earlier models on, both original engine drive and later tender drive versions. I understand BR fitted a taller dome cover later. I'm not sure if any of the other Britannias had the low dome cover initially? When looking at photos of the Britannias I'm not sure that any of the manufacturers, including DJH, have got the dome quite right.   

The chimney on the later Hornby models is certainly a problem which I resolved to some degree with files on my Sir John Moore. Clearly it needs further weathering at some stage.

Andrew 

Lovely version there, Hornby nailed the Brits pretty well with that tooling.

Brits came with two domes, initially the first engines came with the flatter profile, and its difficult to tell when the change to taller occurred, but certainly by the time they got into the early teens of the build sequence. Its not helped by the fact that a couple 70002 was one, had a taller dome at introduction!. if you assume that all Brits after 70012 had the taller domes you'll likely be alright, but there's plenty of images around to find the loco you're doing,

70054 by Tony is almost certainly a 'Britannia' release and hence had the tooling for a flat dome, therefore for this number it needs the taller dome. 70003 would almost certainly have a flat dome too, but see above comment re '02'. Something rings a bell that in the contemporary tooling Hornby does both versions, whether they are matched to correct numbers with model release I'm not sure. Tony's number '03' looks correct,off the top of my head for detail variations, early number/flat dome/correct tender and rear of cab.

edit typo's

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with others' suggestions to use needle files to improve the chimney. This is my effort. Like one of Tony's Brits, this is also on a Comet chassis.

attachicon.gifbrit chimney.jpg

What a beautiful model, John,

Thanks for posting its picture. Since the lighting seems entirely natural, I assume you took the picture outside?

I also assume you fitted a Comet chassis because you were unhappy with the original's performance? 

Like others have found, I've had two, ostensibly-identical, RTR locos - one which runs dead straight and true and the other like drunken jelly. In the case of BOADICEA, this one runs very well, but another was just awful and was sold on for charity (the owner knowing all about it). Modern Hornby Pacifics (and not just 4-6-2s) of just about every type have been frequent visitors to my 'surgery' because of poor/unreliable running. In some cases, I've had to advise sending them back because fixing them has been beyond me, especially those with split gears. 

On occasions, I sometimes wonder why folk are into railway modelling. At one show, I was presented with an RTR loco, with the grunted comment 'It don't go'. When I pointed out that the loco had effectively been picked up by its (flimsy) valve gear, resulting in the lot being squashed in, causing complete binding, I got another grunt, asking 'Can you fix it?'. I promptly did, by merely using tweezers and pliers to straighten it all out. It then ran very well. I wish I'd captured the look on the owner's face with my camera when I handed it back, but he must have thought I was part of the 'second coming'. He grunted thanks, and handed over a note. 

I don't know whether the following will be deleted, but it did cross my mind if too-numerous tattoos and too many body-piercings can actually soften the brain. Am I allowed to think such thoughts, in these politically-correct times? At least his donation added to the CR pot. 

• Like 5

Absolutely and don't forget the cost of etched smoke deflectors! However, I did buy the base model second hand for a lot less than £125. Incidentally, I'm  pretty sure that I used Alan Gibson wheels.

So a bit like buying and rescuing a kit off e-bay - and of course Tony's costs included for Markits so to compare mine does also.

I just sometimes think we worry too much about the cost of kits. I don't believe in rubbishing RTR ( though simply taking out of the box and playing doesn't appeal - they do have to be personalised and weathered for me) ....but equally I think everyone gets overly het up about kits and value for money. I have been known to buy other kinds of (non railway) kits simply to build and display .. so loco kits it could be argued embody two distinct and separate categories, whereas the Hornby embodies just the one.

Also, given that kit building for most is a relatively long process (a labour of love), costs can easily be spread out over time - and that's before we even get on to kit hoarding (those in the cupboard awaiting a suitable build slot in the future). I recently got a Craftsman 2P 0-6-0T on ebay for £35, its now in the cupboard - still got to decide on the chassis ... no wheels as of yet and no motor/gearbox - I have 4 other loco kits higher in the pecking order ... so no rush and follow up purchases can happen as and when.

• Like 1

What a beautiful model, John,

Thanks for posting its picture. Since the lighting seems entirely natural, I assume you took the picture outside?

I also assume you fitted a Comet chassis because you were unhappy with the original's performance? 

Like others have found, I've had two, ostensibly-identical, RTR locos - one which runs dead straight and true and the other like drunken jelly. In the case of BOADICEA, this one runs very well, but another was just awful and was sold on for charity (the owner knowing all about it). Modern Hornby Pacifics (and not just 4-6-2s) of just about every type have been frequent visitors to my 'surgery' because of poor/unreliable running. In some cases, I've had to advise sending them back because fixing them has been beyond me, especially those with split gears. 

On occasions, I sometimes wonder why folk are into railway modelling. At one show, I was presented with an RTR loco, with the grunted comment 'It don't go'. When I pointed out that the loco had effectively been picked up by its (flimsy) valve gear, resulting in the lot being squashed in, causing complete binding, I got another grunt, asking 'Can you fix it?'. I promptly did, by merely using tweezers and pliers to straighten it all out. It then ran very well. I wish I'd captured the look on the owner's face with my camera when I handed it back, but he must have thought I was part of the 'second coming'. He grunted thanks, and handed over a note. 

I don't know whether the following will be deleted, but it did cross my mind if too-numerous tattoos and too many body-piercings can actually soften the brain. Am I allowed to think such thoughts, in these politically-correct times? At least his donation added to the CR pot. 

Hi Tony,

The photo was taken indoors but in natural light as there are two large windows in the train room which on a bright day give sufficient light for photography. I use a dslr set to the smallest aperture to get depth of field and adjust the exposure time as necessary

I used the upgraded Comet chassis as I model in P4.

Glad you like it.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIM (30).jpg

D2325 shunting on Pig Lane, James pointed out I had a persevered 03 from another railway when I exhibited Pig Lane at Mangapps so my next 04 had to be a Mangapps one.

I recently scanned some photos my Dad and I took at Norwich Victoria in the early 80s, I remember us watching 2325 busying itself there at the coal depot.

post-29614-0-46595800-1529527245_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The floating radius rod is quite interesting. As bought, it does have a certain movement which is not totally unprototypical. Friction from the expansion link does move it back and forth a little. But as soon as it's painted, with the paint in the joints,  it seems to change the motion into an up and down motion. 

I've got three Bachmann K3s and haven't really modified them at all, apart from weathering the first two.  On the first two the valve gear works perfectly well, but the third exhibited the 'up and down' motion you describe.  It was second hand but hadn't been weathered or modified in any way.  All the pin joints seemed free so I didn't really know what caused it, but I cured it quite simply.  I found a piece of brass tube which was a sliding fit over the valve spindle, and opened out the hole in the valve chest (you can't really call it a valve guide) so that the tube was a push fit.  This gave a decent guide for the valve spindle, and cured the problem.

post-31-0-79489400-1529530519.jpg

post-31-0-40286100-1529530536.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if your killer spiders have eaten the loco crew. I should demand that they spin up a replacement radius rod as repentance.

A pity we can't train 'em to spin their threads between our telegraph poles.

Well Tony, just a heads up before I stay in a months time. I've still got my piercings, my hair is very long, having been over a year since I seen you and Mo, I also have considerably more tattoos. My brain still works, however I'm still not that good with grammar. 

• Like 1

Well Tony, just a heads up before I stay in a months time. I've still got my piercings, my hair is very long, having been over a year since I seen you and Mo, I also have considerably more tattoos. My brain still works, however I'm still not that good with grammar. 

Bring a sleeping bag with you then cos you'll be sleeping in the shed garage :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Good morning Jesse,

We're looking forward to your staying with us next month. 

You break the stereotype regarding my prejudices (which, I admit, I cannot shake-off). Despite your long hair, body piercings and tattoos (and your dreadful grammar - 'month's' should have a possessive apostrophe!), you're actually a very well-rounded, engaging and rather good bloke - in fact, a very good friend. Am I missing out here, because of these (old age) preconceptions? In your case, potentially (or might have been) yes.............

However, over the last two weeks, Mo and I (and friends) have eaten out at a couple of restaurants we regularly frequent. In restaurant number one, we encountered what might be called (using my best political incorrectness) the pachyderm family. Enormous, pierced, tattooed and with a most-economical language I've ever encountered - just a series of grunts! I couldn't tell if their hair was long because the women had theirs pulled up in a sort of stack. The bloke had a shaved head, anyway. All of them had their mobile phones on full blast - watching TV programmes, it would seem; is this possible on a mobile phone? Their grunting was extended to the (delightful) waitress as they ordered 'as much as you could eat' from the menu. What was left could have fed a deprived village! Am I guilty of stereotyping here?

In restaurant number two, we encountered the cackling stereotype, with one of the loudest brats in tow I've ever heard. Large, covered in tattoos and with bits of metal dangling from most appendages, the mother only ceased her cackling to shovel food into her mouth. In contrast to the grunts (which, in family number one were not too many because they were engrossed with their phones), there were shrieks and hoots, spoiling others' enjoyment of their meals. The granddad (I assume it was the woman's dad) avoided all this by fiddling with his phone. Strangely, (being older?) he didn't have funny hair, piercings or tattoos (as far as I could see). He just looked rather fed up. 

In my next post, I'll get back to model railways.

Do you think I'm prejudiced? 

I'm rather glad I'm of the generation of which the only members of families who had tattoos were uncles who'd been in the navy, piercings were reserved for the pretty ears of females and long hair was the preserve of the fairer sex (though, I admit, I did grow mine in a Beatles' style 50+ years ago).  

I'll finish these ramblings of a grumpy old git................

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

However, over the last two weeks, Mo and I (and friends) have eaten out at a couple of restaurants we regularly frequent. In restaurant number one, we encountered what might be called (using my best political incorrectness) the pachyderm family. Enormous, pierced, tattooed and with a most-economical language I've ever encountered - just a series of grunts! I couldn't tell if their hair was long because the women had theirs pulled up in a sort of stack. The bloke had a shaved head, anyway. All of them had their mobile phones on full blast - watching TV programmes, it would seem; is this possible on a mobile phone? Their grunting was extended to the (delightful) waitress as they ordered 'as much as you could eat' from the menu. What was left could have fed a deprived village! Am I guilty of stereotyping here?

Am I the only one thinking you may have met the Simpsons?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to model railways.................

A question, please. Does anyone know anything about this kit?

post-18225-0-84398500-1529569851_thumb.jpg

Over the weekend, Richard Wilson brought down boxes of ancient model railway stuff which must have been living in a shed for decades. We set up 'rummaging' boxes at Quorn, and just about everything went. However, I donated some dosh for a few things, including this Acro kit for a 4F. Someone had started construction of the tender, and I couldn't resist finishing it off yesterday (adding Comet etched steps, because such 'super-detailing' is not included in the kit). It's very similar to a Jamieson kit; indeed, various EAMES bits are included. I'll build it, because it's just the sort of project I enjoy (perversely?). 

post-18225-0-56638900-1529570175_thumb.jpg

In between times at Quorn, I did a bit more to the SE Finecast J6 I'm building. I'm substituting the much more common symmetrical-wheelbase GNR tender, building it from a LRM kit. This is the second J6 I'm making. A report on the first one will appear in the RM later this year. 

• Like 6