Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I’ve found Humbrol recently to be variable in its quality the same for Revell. I too spoke to Liz at Stevenage and had a try at lining, I’m certain there were some Humbrol in her colour set, and can confirm she was using lighter fuel to let the paint down, something I’ll try myself.

I dropped in on Tony earlier, to collect one of the Geoff Taylor items being sold on behalf of an estate.

post-68-0-76878700-1516210948_thumb.jpeg

Glad I made the effort :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have had good results using Tamiya acrylics by diluting them quite a lot with water and brushing several coats using a big flat brush. It dries with no brush marks with a lovely even matt finish.

I have had the same problems with new Humbrol although I am lucky in having good stocks of older tins in many colours. It is black and white that I run out of first. For those, I use either Railmatch glass jars or the Tamiya.

• Like 1

Graeme,

The Humbrol satin black No.85 used to be called coal black. As the coal black, it was my standard black. However, having bought a couple of tinlets of No.85 in recent times, it won't dry and even if it did, it's streaky. I use it now only for scenic work. 

Mine are marked made in UK , the China version has been slatted in the past.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve found Humbrol recently to be variable in its quality the same for Revell. I too spoke to Liz at Stevenage and had a try at lining, I’m certain there were some Humbrol in her colour set, and can confirm she was using lighter fuel to let the paint down, something I’ll try myself.

I dropped in on Tony earlier, to collect one of the Geoff Taylor items being sold on behalf of an estate.

attachicon.gifA8DAF37F-338A-48F6-81AE-C510BF6CC4FB.jpeg

Good to see you today Paul,

Many thanks for buying the bridge. It fits in perfectly.

Regards,

Tony. 

As ever an interesting discussion about products we modellers tended to take for granted. We became accustomed to the various properties of certain paints/ varnishes.Any model can either be enhanced..or.......by the painting or varnishing.....and yes I've had the horror of seeing my work .....hours of it wrecked by a seconds application of an in compatible substance..... Always enjoy this thread...modellers trying to move the hobby forward

• Like 1

Just be doing a bit of modelling - all went well till I lost a fight with a lamp iron! (Expletives deleted)

Time to give up for the evening and watch some TV.

Will resume battle tomorrow - and I bet it will go well. ( and I’ll wonder why I ever had a problem!)

Jon

Many years ago, when Humbrol paints were produced in Hull they used to grind their own pigments. I ran a model shop for a brief period in the early 1980's and always found them to be excellent. Some time later I believe production was moved away, possibly to China, when ownership of the brand changed hands.

It is quite probable that Humbrol, Revel and Raillmatch are all produced in a paint mixing system where the "ingredients" are bought in. That is certainly what PPP do. So the quality of the paint relies on those mixing the batches (which should be consistent) and the quality of the materials. Is it that which is causing problems, especially if they are sourcing cheaper materials to keep prices down/improve profits.

Three cheers for outsourcing, offshoring, sub-contracting, destroying continuity, and voila-lousy product, rotten reputation.

I thought it was just me having such poor results with Humbrol.

Back on Humbrol ... from their web site:

In 2012 Humbrol moved over 60% of its manufacturing back to the UK from China to improve supply, and ensure high quality standards continue to be met.  Humbrol’s well-established and most popular range of enamel paint as well as their new acrylic sprays are now produced in London and Manchester.

Do we think that problems started in 2012 and it is the move back to the UK that is the problem .... or are we still working through old stock?

As well as the poor quality some of the Humbrol colours changed slightly too.  The brick red now has a purprlish tinge to it which didn't use to be there.

You mean like this?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/page-220&do=findComment&comment=1992461

P

Some of the best paints I have used for basic colours are those sold by Games Workshop in their Citadel range, don't be put off by the their names.

Apologies for the poor photo, But part of the weathering process on this Bulleid Pacific included using the 'Nuln Oil' (black wash) I find that it sits nicely in all of the panel gaps, washout plugs, etc, and when it's applied with a large tipped flat brush and then, when wiped off leaves rather nice streaks, far more noticeable in a three quarter shot.

I have used their paints too, and would rate them highly. 

26698267319_f345af8d52_c.jpg

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

For thorough paint mixing I use one of these, other brands are avalable;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/FERM-Oscillating-Multitool-Combitool-Multi-Combi-Tool-280w-Electric-240v-Case/1344059106?iid=351532986658

Clamp the paint pot to the blade.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

attachicon.gifA8DAF37F-338A-48F6-81AE-C510BF6CC4FB.jpeg

For some years now I've been thinning Humbrol with turps/white spirit - dig the pigment out of the bottom of the tin with the end of a brush and thin it as required, leaving the gloopy sticky oil in the tin. The resulting paint is thinner, hence fewer brush marks, and dries more readily, but still has good covering ability.

Brian,

I know Ian uses Precision Paints. He also uses Ronseal polyurethane satin varnish, thinned down and air-brush applied.

I need to try Ronseal. I thought he used matt and gloss (mixed as required) so he can vary the finish depending on what he wants. I wonder what thins Ronseal?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments on various paints.

I tend to forget that discussions are often cyclic, but there does seem to be a problem with some of the (more recent?) Humbrol paints. 

To return to what I alluded to earlier, Humbrol was the choice of paint in my formative modelling years. Even in complete ignorance, I painted just about everything I made with it - not just railway stuff, but plastic kits, etc. I also used Airfix paint (in little bottles) and Revell enamels. I cannot recall ever having any problems with paint drying or getting an even surface, whether matt, semi-matt or gloss. All of this was against the background of (probably) not stirring the paint thoroughly and certainly not being entirely diligent with the preparation of surfaces and cleaning-up. That paint of 60+ years ago was probably nasty if consumed. Now, I must have been a brilliant boy, because I have no recollection of my parents ever telling me not to drink paint! Nor, I have to say, of their telling me not to 'paint' my models with orange juice. I just, somehow, knew. Wasn't I clever? 

Now, with years of experience (and never having been tempted to drink paint), I find that even with vigorous stirring, diligent surface-preparation, sound priming and practised paint-application, I fail (or the paint fails). Is this to be expected from modern enamels? It refuses to dry, and, even when it does, it's streaky. Or, a week after applying the first coat (yes, seven days!), the next coat mixes with the first one, making a gloopy mess and the whole lot has to come off. Are some of today's paints edible, in case an imbecile drinks them? I'm searching for answers because any older Humbrol paints I have (including the wonderful railway colours) won't last forever. 

Not all is doom and gloom, though. 

post-18225-0-01365600-1516266313_thumb.jpg

At the Stevenage Show, a mate sold me a part-built/part-painted Mailcoach Tourist BTO (BSO by my period). I don't normally buy rolling stock built by others, but, at £15.00, this was too good to miss. It had no roof, but it was generally made-up well, with the sides nicely-brush-painted in maroon. I looked at it, added guard's handrails, gave the sides a further coat of Railmatch BR maroon (excellent paint, this) and let it dry (it dried perfectly overnight). I then re-made the bogies (there was far too much sideways slop), adding the necessary footboards, fitted an MJT aluminium roof (with MJT ventilators), fitted MJT gangways and buffers, and brush-painted the underframe and ends with Humbrol matt black (No.33). The matt black is a recent tin, and it dried fine. After the disaster (already mentioned) of painting the roof, I used the matt black, lightened with the last of my old Humbrol matt grey No 67 (the new tin is hopeless). That worked as well. It was then lined and lettered; the lining by Replica, though Cambridge Custom Transfers' lining is just as fine, and the rest using Modelmasters' transfers. Finally, the sides were finished off by using Ronseal polyurethane satin varnish. This is great stuff - it has to be cleaned with thinners and dries to a rock-hard finish in 24 hours. 

It's made-up into an unusual and interesting brake vehicle. Thanks Charlie. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifTourist BSO.jpg

At the Stevenage Show, a mate sold me a part-built/part-painted Mailcoach Tourist BTO (BSO by my period).

Nice coach, Tony; I picked up one of the Mailcoach Tourist buffet cars recently.

Painting them is a bit of a faff, but the Tourist style certainly adds a bit of variety to a train.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I bought my first Humbrols in 1975 and they were a minimum of 6 hours before a second coat.

By the late eighties, I was allowing at least 24 hours between brushed coats of Humbrol.

I don't seem to have any problems using Humbrol in the airbrush.

Edited by Killybegs

and an example of different shades.

attachicon.gifTests&Things027copysm.jpg

There's a list of the Authenticolour range here:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_humbrolauthentic.htm

I'm glad Humbrol still use the tins. The door frames of my parents house still bear the scars of attempts at removing the tops from the old Airfix paint glass bottles.

Porcy

That explains why I have had trouble matching the colour of the brickwork on the bridge on Worseter. It was painted about sixteen years ago and the colour matches the tin on the left. Tins bought recently match that on the right.

I have dents in my door frames too!