Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Thank you ... lots of weathering and umpiring getting in the way of kit building at the moment ... but ...one less to weather..

attachicon.gifV2 (1280x310).jpg

Bachmann body(not sure?) on etched chassis built and painted by Graham Varley...

I don't like that V2.......................I love it!

Everything I have ever seen of Graham's is quality and this loco is no exception.

Edited by coachmann

I was quite liking that 'C' until I saw the dirty great slot in the firebox.

Which is odd, because the one I have (numbered 31086, cat 31-462) there's no depression there, it blends reasonably into the firebox side and draws no attention to itself. If I were concerned, then a wipe of Milliput ahead of the filthing would 'disappear it' completely. Slight change to the casting tool reducing the width at that section for this production run?

The motor and drive train were skilfully completely concealed on the later J11 introduction. So some thought is being given to this aspect I would suggest; and just in time for a subject that really matters.

• RMweb Gold

I was quite liking that 'C' until I saw the dirty great slot in the firebox.

Just been and looked at my black version from the previous batch. It really isn't that obvious, since it is filled by a part of the mechanism, but is accentuated here by a trick of the light. There is no slot as such, just a difference in paint finish plastic/metal. Those who weather their locos would lose it in no time.

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the Bachmann C class, 2,000 Watts of light has a habit of differentiating between painted metal and plastic. It's probably far more noticeable in my picture.

Speaking of pictures, just a couple here to prove I've finished that awkward B&M 0-6-0ST. The Markits outside-cranks are beautifully machined and really finish it off. The quartering has to be set by eye, so it's best to solder them to the extended axles rather than use Loctite. That way, not only are they far more secure but adjustment is easy by merely re-introducing the iron and tweaking. Burnt fingers are the result but it now runs really sweetly.

A full report will appear in BRM.

If you want to see it, it'll be running on Merthryr Riverside at the Wigan Show next month.

post-18225-0-10469600-1400857340_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-16650500-1400857224_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

Very nice indeed, Tony, especially given the starting point. Can I ask where you found the drawings shown in your pictures? Copies of these would really speed up my build if I were able to lay hands on them.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Very nice indeed, Tony, especially given the starting point. Can I ask where you found the drawings shown in your pictures? Copies of these would really speed up my build if I were able to lay hands on them.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the kind comment.

The drawings, and an article on the locos appeared in BRITISH RAILWAY JOURNAL, No. 2, winter, 1984. Thirty years ago!

Thank you ... lots of weathering and umpiring getting in the way of kit building at the moment ... but ...one less to weather..

attachicon.gifV2 (1280x310).jpg

Bachmann body(not sure?) on etched chassis built and painted by Graham Varley...

Bachmann body by the distinctive look of it, but it looks as if the smokebox door handles, possibly some or all of the boiler handrails, very obviously the dome, also the ejector pipe and by the look of it the sandfiller(s) have been replaced with better items. Unfortunately, the basic problem of the boiler shape remains, along with the coarse representation of cab roof features.

Hello Tony,

Do you have one of Graeme's A2 to A2/3 conversions? They do look very good and I would like to have a crack at one, but knowing how damn clumsy I am, have not really looked into it too mcuh. Will have to contact Graeme for a few more details I think. Have seen various bits on forums, but I suspect Graeme has a lot more skill & patience than I do!

Slighly off topic, but stil ECML, can I ask you about the Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier, with the Newton Chambers coaches/wagons?

I know you have a rake, seen them when I have been lucky enough to view Bytham (I think behind an A4 from memory?), but I can't remember the formation? Is your complete train made up of them, or do you add other coaches?

There's a Noel Ingram photo on the net, on the up fast at the back of Bytham School, with 6 Newton Chambers (+ 4 other coaches which I can't identify) behind a 40. I am sure the more informed may know what they are, but I don't can't tell, other than most likely mark ones.

Stating the obvious maybe, but would the other coaches be for the passengers that had sent their cars in the Newton Chambers?

Kind Regards,

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony,

Do you have one of Graeme's A2 to A2/3 conversions? They do look very good and I would like to have a crack at one, but knowing how damn clumsy I am, have not really looked into it too mcuh. Will have to contact Graeme for a few more details I think. Have seen various bits on forums, but I suspect Graeme has a lot more skill & patience than I do!

Slighly off topic, but stil ECML, can I ask you about the Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier, with the Newton Chambers coaches/wagons?

I know you have a rake, seen them when I have been lucky enough to view Bytham (I think behind an A4 from memory?), but I can't remember the formation? Is your complete train made up of them, or do you add other coaches?

There's a Noel Ingram photo on the net, on the up fast at the back of Bytham School, with 6 Newton Chambers (+ 4 other coaches which I can't identify) behind a 40. I am sure the more informed may know what they are, but I don't can't tell, other than most likely mark ones.

Stating the obvious maybe, but would the other coaches be for the passengers that had sent their cars in the Newton Chambers?

Kind Regards,

Lee

Good Evening Lee,

I will have a Graeme King A2/3 by the end of the week. Please pop in and see it.

I don't now have the 'Anglo Scottish Car Carrier'. It belongs to Dave Lewis of Southern Pride and, with the proposed selling of Stoke Summit, it will probably never run again.

The formation of the ASCC for the summer of 1963 was (Down) BSO, FK, RU, FO (all BR Mk.1s), then the six Newton Chambers car carriers. Note the preponderance of First Class accommodation, because it was a relatively expensive way to get the passengers and their cars to the north. Meals could be served at all seats, and yes, the majority of cars had their owners with them. There was space for 84 First Class passengers and 39 Second (33 on SO). One car carrier came off at Newcastle. Up to 192 tons of motor cars were carried, so fewer in number if they were Jags or RRs perhaps. I'm not sure how many cars could be carried in each carrier - I've an idea two small ones below and four above. Perhaps someone will let us know.   

Thanks Tony.  That's more or less as I remember things too ;)

The mods made to the A3 were to alter 60049 Galtee More to 60107 Royal Lancer (one of the more magnificent names applied to the A3 class).  For the period modelled, I altered the lamp iron position, split the handrail and altered the name and numbers appropriately. Real coal was applied to the tender, then lightly weathered.

The A4 was merely renamed and renumbered with light weathering applied after a coat of Klear. Tender mods are as in Tony's description.

The A1/1 started life as an Hornby A3. The conversion has been documented on this thread and in detail on the LNER forum. It's awaiting weathering

The B1 was originally an early crest example which has now been altered to a late crest and renumbered to 61188. Those in the know on B1s will be aware that the coal space partition was altered - I think post '55 - and Hornby correctly model this variation on their B1s. So I altered the position of this by removing the original and making a new one from plasticard, thus suiting a machine in the later period. It had Klear applied first, then weathering on top of that. 

The W1 is - as Tony says - not as powerful as his own W1 but it shifted an 11 coach train, of which some vehicles were very heavy, of brass and white metal construction.

Bronzino initially disgraced itself but I think the decoder was at fault. It was great to see it eventually hammering through Little Bytham on a Pullman! I'm still working on my DJH A2/2...

Many thanks to Tony and Mo for the invite and the hospitality. It was great to meet and 'play trains' for the day. :)

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2

Guest 2750

Had a lovely day yesterday working on the K3 with Tony. The new chassis with correct wheel size makes a massive difference and in my opinion improves the look of the loco.

Here she is romping around Little Bytham.

She is to become 17 of York Shed (which will require a tender body change, which I shall do today). When the tender is finished, she will go to MickLNER of this parish for lining out in LNER mixed traffic red.

Edited by 2750
  • Like 5

Some excellent photos Tony and it is great to see Great Northern and all the other locos doing the business round your layout.  It looks like a good day/weekend was had by all.

All the best....Morgan

• RMweb Premium

The capacity of the Newton Chambers car carriers as built was 6 cars, 4 on the upper deck and 2 in the well. I understand that following an accident the wells were put out of use.

Jeremy

That is correct Jeremy.

17 of York Shed (which will require a tender body change,

I was about to suggest that in order to go with the "revised Darlington pattern" of cab, but Tom is ahead of me. We could do with rather more of the stepped-sided tender bodies in circulation to facilitate swaps. The world is awash with straight-sided, high fronted tenders from old B1 and J39 models, but the early pattern of tender tops seem almost like hens' teeth. I do hope that the Great British Locomotives K3 might have the early tender, reasonably modelled....

While I'm at it, shall I be lazy and moan about the length of time it is taking for Heljan to produce a GN tender too? No, I have a better idea. If I find the time to do so before they get organised, I hope to make a simple model that will duplicate readily in resin.

I actually like the "different" look of the original low-window Darlington K3 cabs, even if Gresley and the GN drivers didn't enthuse......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The capacity of the Newton Chambers car carriers as built was 6 cars, 4 on the upper deck and 2 in the well. I understand that following an accident the wells were put out of use.

Jeremy

Jeremy (and John),

Many thanks.

Guest 2750

I actually like the "different" look of the original low-window Darlington K3 cabs, even if Gresley and the GN drivers didn't enthuse......

Can't have been worse than a GN cab.....actually was anything worse than a GN cab?

Perhaps no cab at all!

Feeling full of enthusiasm after Tony's tuition over the weekend, I have made a start adding the handrails.

post-19999-0-50016700-1401118575_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-44168900-1401118583_thumb.jpg

• Like 8