Modern day "hobos" photos

Found this on CNN today:

http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/14/obsessed-with-train-riding/?hpt=hp_bn13

15 pictures of young adults riding the rails. The photographer is about to have a book published.

All are very well done photos, in some cases almost heartbreaking, of young people doing incredibly dangerous and stupid things.

• RMweb Premium

I also think this is a very irresponsible bit of publishing but several years ago I happenned on a documentary one night on TV about Hobo's in the Pacific North West. I would love to get hold of a copy if anyone knows where I might find one if onky because some of the footage is taken on a road that my new wife and I drove along on our honeymoon, in the days when i had dark hair and could get into 32 waist traousers.

Jamie

Dear RMWebbers,

Appreciated the photographic skills,

but couldn't decide if the content was worthy of "Darwin Award" status

(the guy hanging off the loco pilot has to be a contender),

or was simply the lead-in prelude to an episode of "Bones", "CSI", or some other US homocide/crime drama...

(Cue David Caruso whipping off the sunglasses,

"...he fell asleep in the railcar, and never had a chance...")

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I was also caught up with the romantic vision of travelling across the US by rail. Not really knowing where you're going, but the fresh air, a warm sunny day and the love of rail travel was pure escapism.

Sadly the reality of the pics soon brought me back down to earth, so something else to cross off my '10 things to do before you die' list...... :no:

It may be irresponsible but I doubt anyone is going to see the pictures and think "oooo ill give that a go" - I got Willy Nelson singing City of New Orleans in my head now :D

Willy Nelson?? Nooo noo noo.

please!

If I've had enough to drink the pathos of ..

And the sons of pullman porters

And the sons of engineers

Ride their father's magic carpets made of steel.

is enough to make me weep.

Amtrak may still operate the City of New Orleans, but the old days are gone.

The definitive song about hitching rides on the rails has to be 'Me and Bobby McGee'.

• RMweb Premium

Willy Nelson?? Nooo noo noo.

please!

If I've had enough to drink the pathos of ..

is enough to make me weep.

I also vote for Willie Nelson. I had his version played at the funeral of one of our colleagues, (The late Yankee Railroader) I still can't listen to verse 3 without getting damp eyes.

"and all the towns and people seem

to fade into a bad dream

steel rails still aint heard the news,

The conductor sings his song again

passengers will please refrain,

this trains got the dissappearing railroad blues."

I couldn't be at the funeral but was told that there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

Jamie

Archived