Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

Hi Bob

I had a chat with Mike at the GCR show and he says they are waiting for the revised preproduction sample to be delivered to them.

Hi Clive,

Many thanks for the information.........a little longer to wait yet then.

Bob

• 6 months later...

Any news of delivery dates yet as I hope I have 2 on pre-order.

Peter

I've not heard anymore since my last post on this thread......I too am very keen , and have one pre ordered.

Hope to hear a progress report soon.

Bob.

There was an update in the December edition Hornby mag, which advised that the artwork for the first versions had been completed and the 4 versions would be BR green B964038, green syp B964064 and B964112 and blue full yellow ends B964062. Also advised that further work was taking place to complete amendments to the tooling and produce decorated samples. The article had an artwork example for B964112 which was dated 15/10/2014

• RMweb Gold

And in my quest to find the latest date a DBT was in traffic, this is a candidate, a copyright slide I've recently won on ebay.

46003 at Bristol Parkway on the day of the Western Tribute rail tour 26/2/77, I was the opposite side of the tracks that day.

I was shocked to see this photo because 1. I was probably there at the moment this train passed and can't remember seeing it 2. It's the latest I've seen of a brake tender in traffic.

post-6925-0-48215000-1420496549_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 6

While waiting for these I ordered 2 of the angular design Stratford built, diagram 1/558, diesel brake tenders, produced by Brittania Pacific Models in 'oo' weathered green finish, for my birthday last April. These are lovely models, built to order at a reasonable price, with resin cast bodies and plastic Gresley bogies. Should complement the Hornby mag version when it arrives.

• RMweb Premium

While waiting for these I ordered 2 of the angular design Stratford built, diagram 1/558, diesel brake tenders, produced by Brittania Pacific Models in 'oo' weathered green finish, for my birthday last April. These are lovely models, built to order at a reasonable price, with resin cast bodies and plastic Gresley bogies. Should complement the Hornby mag version when it arrives.

Shame it's a scale 3ft too long...

I had to hack 12mm out of the middle of mine to get the length right and then replaced the roller-bearing (EMU?) Gresleys with proper 8ft ones at 15ft centres.

I wasn't impressed.

• RMweb Premium

Shame it's a scale 3ft too long...

I had to hack 12mm out of the middle of mine to get the length right and then replaced the roller-bearing (EMU?) Gresleys with proper 8ft ones at 15ft centres.

I wasn't impressed.

Hi Alan 

Oh dear, it sounds it would have been easier to build one from plastic card. 

The up side is you have the first set of bogies for a AM2  :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news on the brake tenders.....I note checking the date of the first post on this thread, that it has now been 2 and a half years since it was first announced.

I know that these time scales are par for the course at the moment........I'm also keen on getting a Bulleid diesel from Kernow , it must be 4 years since that was announced.

Patience is a virtue..!!!

And in my quest to find the latest date a DBT was in traffic, this is a candidate, a copyright slide I've recently won on ebay.

46003 at Bristol Parkway on the day of the Western Tribute rail tour 26/2/77, I was the opposite side of the tracks that day.

I was shocked to see this photo because 1. I was probably there at the moment this train passed and can't remember seeing it 2. It's the latest I've seen of a brake tender in traffic.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Inevitable question given that (1) you believe you were there on that date and (2) you don't remember seeing it.

Slide dated incorrectly? Is there concrete evidence that the date it was taken was 26/2/77?

I am a sceptic by nature, and in respect specifically of photography have seen a slide in a Kodachrome mount that looked 'perfect' and appeared to validate an event on a specific date. But no, the slide was a composite. The film came from a roll other than the rest of the slides with the stamped on Kodak process date identity; a very skilled piece of fakery swapping the frame of one film roll from its original mount and into a mount between other dateable events that occured much earlier, deliberately done for purpose of deception.

That is such an excellent drab shades of brown winter picture :)

The non-brown patch on the end of the Sourpuss (or whatever it is named) wagon next to diesel is rather good too. The sort of very commonly seen 'muck' that is difficult to replicate convincingly on a model.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh dear... just perusing the BRM Annual 2015, which has a 2-page spread on Diesel Brake Tenders, the text of which perpetuates the myth that the 1/557 tenders (B964029/30) ran on BR1s, even though there is clear photographic evidence in this very thread that they were on 9' LMS.

:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Inevitable question given that (1) you believe you were there on that date and (2) you don't remember seeing it.

Slide dated incorrectly? Is there concrete evidence that the date it was taken was 26/2/77?

I am a sceptic by nature, and in respect specifically of photography have seen a slide in a Kodachrome mount that looked 'perfect' and appeared to validate an event on a specific date. But no, the slide was a composite. The film came from a roll other than the rest of the slides with the stamped on Kodak process date identity; a very skilled piece of fakery swapping the frame of one film roll from its original mount and into a mount between other dateable events that occured much earlier, deliberately done for purpose of deception.

The non-brown patch on the end of the Sourpuss (or whatever it is named) wagon next to diesel is rather good too. The sort of very commonly seen 'muck' that is difficult to replicate convincingly on a model.

No I believe this to be genuine. I don't think I was there, I was definitely there - it was the date of the Western Tribute rail tour. Further the 46 has sealed beam headlights, this wasn't done on this loco until late 1976. I'm a natural sceptic too, but the weather is identical to 26/2/77 as well. I'd bet a lot of cash that the slide and date are genuine.

Neil

No I believe this to be genuine. I don't think I was there, I was definitely there - it was the date of the Western Tribute rail tour. Further the 46 has sealed beam headlights, this wasn't done on this loco until late 1976. I'm a natural sceptic too, but the weather is identical to 26/2/77 as well. I'd bet a lot of cash that the slide and date are genuine.

Neil

And why not? They lasted well into the early 1980s http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/braketender  

The article in Backtrack about Acton Yard discusses their use from there.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

And why not? They lasted well into the early 1980s http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/braketender  

The article in Backtrack about Acton Yard discusses their use from there.

Paul

Indeed they did Paul, I found one in a mag I was thumbing through the other day (circa 1980) and was pleasantly surprised to see it there and identified as running circa 1980, I also purchased several photos from your good self for my BT projects - although my preferred era, in 7mm, is 1965-1976.

Oh dear... just perusing the BRM Annual 2015, which has a 2-page spread on Diesel Brake Tenders, the text of which perpetuates the myth that the 1/557 tenders (B964029/30) ran on BR1s, even though there is clear photographic evidence in this very thread that they were on 9' LMS.

:rolleyes:

I am finding that mags are often not doing the research these days, which is sad (as there is so much more info out there in terms of books published and the interweb et al), as they used to be a good, informative and factual starting point in the past, especially for, back then, those of us too young to be able to afford a library of books (or if the library didnt stock the book), having said that, in their possible defence, Brake Tenders are tricky little beasties. But AFAICT they either ran on, diagram specific of course, LMS 9' 0" riveted bogies or the LNER bogies, although, from memory, I think that BR MK1/BR1s bogies were muted at one time, but to date, I have not seen photographic evidence of such ever being fitted. Therefore one should only model what one can see/prove (all the usual caveats apply), it also has to remembered that drawings and plans are only a 'statement of intent', as far as us modellers are concerned, photos are evidence/fact, but even these need cross checking with records and drawings. Also as Brake Tenders, were in effect, make-do and mend in their nature, reconditioned parts, such as older bogie types were used, anything that was buckshee in fact. Even one transfer supplier has things slightly skewed when it comes to pre-printed numbers and 'branding' details, which then requires the modeller to 'cut and shut' such so as to make good. There have been one or two useful articles in the MRJ though. Having mentioned all of this I have still yet to build a perfectly accurate representation of a BT, Ive gotten close and I have two more to build (which hopefully, in terms of layout models at least, will get even closer).

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I am finding that mags are often not doing the research these days,

Or just cutting and pasting from forums. (With a little bit of modification...)

P

Or just cutting and pasting from forums. (With a little bit of modification...)

P

I hadnt thought of it like that - you could well be right - eeeeeek! LOL!!

I was ribbing my teenage niece, a bright girl, that all kids did nowadays, for their homework/projects, was 'cut and paste' from Wikipedia, she calmly and assertively replied that that would be out and out plagiarism (of course she is perfectly correct in her acerbic statement) and besides the teachers have a computer programme that can identify such cutting and pasting. In my day we just had to flog essays out at Uni, no internet and often wed be lucky to have a WP or PC. I also quipped back - to my niece and nephew - that this new software teachers were using would now ruin one of my other hobbies which is messing up Wikipedia entries (I am joking, it's a line that I nicked from The Big Bang Theory LOL), which in reality I dont have time for, even if I wanted to. My - older - nephew also bright, but a little naive, said; '...do you really mess up Wiki entries uncle M.?' My niece and I just looked at him and burst out laughing, then he got the joke, they're both Big Bang Theory fans too.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1