Smashing French Layout

Guest Max Stafford

That must be some of the finest track laying I've ever seen, going by the smoothness of running. A real tour de force of a layout!

Thanks for posting, BD .

That must be some of the finest track laying I've ever seen, going by the smoothness of running. A real tour de force of a layout!

Thanks for posting, BD .

It's Peco code 75 but that's very close to scale for French main line trackage in 1/87. There's a lot more including tracklaying on http://www.biscatrain.fr/

and the wallpaper shot of the terminus is amazing.

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome. Spent an hour looking at this last night.

Just one little observation - one would assume the BB9200 hauling Le Capitole is likely to 'fry' under 25kv AC OHLE rather than that on its 1500 volts DC home territory?

(On a more serious question.) Were the coaches for this train (circa 1967-71) built especially or converted from existing stock? Answers will be gratefully recieved.

I must be getting old.

It reminds me of The Model Railroad Club's layout in Union, New Jersey a lot of lines all entangled together, giving me a headache looking at them!

Brilliant, hard work but leaves me a little cold.

Sorry to be a dissenting voice....very clever, though, but.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Awesome. Spent an hour looking at this last night.

Just one little observation - one would assume the BB9200 hauling Le Capitole is likely to 'fry' under 25kv AC OHLE rather than that on its 1500 volts DC home territory?

(On a more serious question.) Were the coaches for this train (circa 1967-71) built especially or converted from existing stock? Answers will be gratefully recieved.

Although based on the standard design, the carriages were, I think, delivered new for the service. Not long on the service before being replaced by the superb "Grand Confort" stock.

RE: Le Capitole - (UIC) coaches for this train circa 1967-71 (Prior to CC6500 + 'Grand Confort' stock.)

Although based on the standard design, the carriages were, I think, delivered new for the service. Not long on the service before being replaced by the superb "Grand Confort" stock.

Just done some more research in-to my original question and found this-:

http://www.mlgtraffi...NCF_E_V_UIC.xml

which looks to be of invaluable reference (for France in general).

"C'est magnifique, mais c'est ne pas la gare.....?" :jester:

Excellent. One of the best misquotes I think I've ever seen. I'll remember this one. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I do like Horsetan's quote. "C'est magnifique......."

It's one I have come out with from time to time and it's good to know that someone else's sense of humour works the same way!

The layout is unbelievable; it wasn't until we saw some of the overhead shots that I could begin to make sense of the scale of it. Superb attention to detail and it makes me wonder how on earth the builder accesses some of the parts of it to work on it.

The time period it's set in seems a bit flexible, but then I guess that it's Mr Barbut's train set, so he can do what he likes. Inspirational nonetheless!

I still reckon that French railway engineers were the world's best; the GWR had to buy in some de Glehn Atlantics to acquire the best of current practice, Messrs Gresley and Stanier learned much about internal streamlining at the feet of Chapelon and Chapelons own 240s and the 242A1 remain unsurpassed in terms of power for size, not to mention Marc de Caso's several designs for large express Baltics.

Back to the layout; it is magnificent and I am inspired to go back to the shed and get on with my own (much ) poorer efforts.

Archived