Hi Jason,

Loving the level crossing gates! Think you'll be needing a couple of signals for them to be interlocked with...

Well, the good news is that I now have the parts in stock so ... you never know!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you can't afford to apply for matching injunctions in the courts of Scotland and the rest of the world, rather than just England, you'll be no better off thanks to the wonders of the internet....

and bearing in mind I'm living in Canada - and of course RMWeb is a safe haven, so would have a certain amount of immunity...

Have those 2-3 celebs with their injunction been outed in England yet? I mean, I know who they are, but have they given up their ridiculousness yet?

• RMweb Gold

and bearing in mind I'm living in Canada - and of course RMWeb is a safe haven, so would have a certain amount of immunity...

Have those 2-3 celebs with their injunction been outed in England yet? I mean, I know who they are, but have they given up their ridiculousness yet?

If you're thinking of who I'm thinking. I think they're still following the yellow brick road to the high court....doesn't take a rocket man to figure out it's a waste of time and money...but at the end of it he'll still be standing....

The G1 is ordered.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason,

Loving the level crossing gates! Think you'll be needing a couple of signals for them to be interlocked with...

Well, the good news are that I now have the parts in stock so ... you never know!

Thankyou - and great news!

It's not easy to see on the printout, but this is what they looked like on the computer before I sent the file off. I think whittling the holes at an angle would have been difficult with a drill. ;)

post-14192-0-89958900-1462475849_thumb.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Well, I got a bit further. I drilled through the gate hinges and fed the guitar(?) wire through that I bought in an RC model store - I think it's used on planes. It's a friction fit at the moment - it's pretty tight - but I'll glue it when I, happy.

post-14192-0-56075300-1462589452_thumb.jpeg

Brackets were made using thin nose pliers and the same wire, and this was shoved in... erm, carefully inserted into drilled holes. My plan is to pull the wire higher, then fold it down to form the first part of the diagonal bracing

post-14192-0-37648700-1462589632_thumb.jpeg

At the moment I'm using a connector to bring everything together just in case I need to separate it again. If I can, once I'm happy with positioning, and height of the gates above the ground, I may well solder the two lengths of wire together.

post-14192-0-92300000-1462589741_thumb.jpeg

Andy, the posts will be bevelled.

The thing I need to do now is work out how to mount the solenoid. I'm up for any ideas.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Can you make a bracket out of some wood, so you just screw to it? Otherwise it will probably need some sort of brass bracket making....

Looking good

Andy g

Coming on well Jason, we were originally going to Cleethorpes model railway exhibition today to see a model of Spilsby station but it was cancelled, there are some photos on Flickr to wet the appetite .

Graham

• RMweb Gold

I had no idea there was a Spilsby layout. That'd be brilliant. I've always thought that if I wasn't doing Wainfleet and Havenhouse then Spilsby would be the place to be. Terminus station, pretty (in a Lincolnshire kind of way), and plenty going on - and only one station between it and Firsby.

Going to wire up the electrics this evening and hope they don't go poof

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Coming on well Jason, we were originally going to Cleethorpes model railway exhibition today to see a model of Spilsby station but it was cancelled, there are some photos on Flickr to wet the appetite .

Graham

Spilsby shares the same design of station building with Sandy. . . . . just thought I'd share that nugget of information.....

• RMweb Gold

I have managed to justify buying a laser cutter for work (garden design, etc). It's taken me a while to get used to it, but i think I'm at the point of being able to create something useful.

So.

Running away from the electronics this afternoon - I'm going to wait for my neighbour to get back as he's an electronics whizz), and as it was warm and dry, I was finally able to take the cutter outside to have a good go at cutting some wood and card. The first thing in going to try, and the easiest, are platforms. I wanted to produce the bricks, edging, and such to make the platform tops. I also wanted to insert the 3D printed railings I designed a long time ago into pockets. The result is the etched picture framing card below. The next step for this bit will be to design the whole of the second platform to complete the station basics before buildings are added

Mike, I think you'd find one very useful.

post-14192-0-39114000-1462677288_thumb.jpeg

If you're interested in the discussion about this laser cutter, have a look for Emblaser in the 3D section of rmweb.

I'm also thinking of using it to cut a bracket for the solenoids as I think it can cut up to 1/4" thick wood.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The first thing in going to try, and the easiest, are platforms. I wanted to produce the bricks, edging, and such to make the platform tops. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I love the laser cutter but looking at the paving with a builders eye it's too perfect. I've got some pictures fro the 1880/90's of Sandy which is barely 40 years after the opening of the GN and the platforms are already showing wear and tear. 

I'd be tempted to take a scalpel and scraper to it and really "distress" it, also can you laser cut the ends to create a tooth like joint?

• RMweb Gold

Yes., it wouldn't be difficult to distress as the mat card is in layers. In a previous test, where the laser bit in a big too much, the top layers were flaking away.. I'm modelling about 1901, so about 23 years after the opening of the line, and 1 year after its doubling, so one platform should be pretty new. The other not so much.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In post 1240 (a couple up), you'll see that I have track either side of a platform. Well, the bad news is, this is wrong. The good news is that there are two photos on Ebay at the moment - a monumental event much like the discovery of a Yeti selfie (yes, not a fan of that word either). I'm so happy to have found the photos that I don't care at all that I've to pull it up and to rebuild the fence which is now too far away from the platform - especially as it'll only be an evening's work at the moment - who knows if I'd found it in a year or two?). There is such a wealth on information in the photo, that a lot of the parts of the station that I surmised about now have details confirmed. Of course, the photo was taken in 1959, and the layout is set 1900-1923, so things change, but I do know that the track plan didn't, and, well, this is such a backwater that I can assume that apart from clearing up and repainting, things pretty much just kept going as they were.

I am wondering how old the grounded van is though. Any guesses?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Station-Photo-Havenhouse-1959-GNR-LNER-Great-Northern-Skegness-Branch-/201588958185?hash=item2eefa363e9:g:b-YAAOSwfY9XQLqo

So the siding will be re-sited, and I've threaded the railing posts to rails ready for the platform, I've also found out the exact nature of the lamps (another deva-bob photo from Ebay), so I'm good with that. I'm hoping that, with the Shapeways material being translucent I'll be able to pipe light from underneath the board.

post-14192-0-18086800-1464484195_thumb.jpg

I had hoped to get the crossing gates sorted this week, but unfortunately my mate went fishing. On the up side, there are two fish in the freezer, so silver linings all round.

Finally, I've put in a new building application for a new shed this week, so hopefully I can get everything out of the house. It's not easy modelling in such a small space with such a large dog with a very hairy tail that is excellent for sweeping across coffee tables!

Hope you're all having a good weekend.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Nope, one is on a rock outcrop somewhere, one was buried by next door's digger, one was eaten by a bear, and I've no idea where the other one is. Apparently because the shed is well away from the neighbour's house they don't give a monkey's cuss. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nope, one is on a rock outcrop somewhere, one was buried by next door's digger, one was eaten by a bear, and I've no idea where the other one is. Apparently because the shed is well away from the neighbour's house they don't give a monkey's cuss. :)

Feeble list of excuses. Jason. I think you'll find the fourth one was buried in an avalanche.

It looks like an ex GNR 8T van with cross braced sides and 4 end posts to me. The LNER code(diagram number) was 4077. D&S used to do a kit for it.

Tony

Hi,

I have an original GNR station lamp (complete with glass name) from Haven House.  It is Std GNR pattern which is different from the style you have in your post.

Unfortunately it is difficult to photograph in summer due to a tree, this is the best I can do - it would be fine in winter!)

It is nearly identical to the Spalding one I also have which is easier to photograph (I think the unstand on the cowel may be taller)

Tony

post-4594-0-68292900-1464612208_thumb.jpg

post-4594-0-13506300-1464612326_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, I'm surprised that I've missed this layout so far! I currently live in Louth, which, as I'm sure you know, used to play a very large part in the East Lincs Railway. I have travelled through Wainfleet more times that I can imagine, so I'll be very interested to see how this layout 'unfolds'.

Good luck, I'll be following intensely!  :O

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You wouldn't believe the morning I'm having. My computer is currently pushing up the daisies, and I just finished a longish post here and my iPad decided to hiccup. Lasers set to stun, I'm going back in.

Tony, that is an amazing photo, and very little like my model. I've gone back to my photos and found the following:

Boston platform

post-14192-0-08931300-1464630300_thumb.jpeg

Skegness platform

post-14192-0-79016800-1464630327_thumb.jpeg

Hopefully I'm ok with putting up small portions of photos for illustrative purposes.

To my uneducated eye, as I'm no platform lamp expert, I recon there could have been two different types of lamp shown in the photos above. I think your lamp is in the first photo. What do you think? If they are different, I wonder what their ages are, and which would have been more likely between 1900-1923.

You wouldn't happen to have any measurements, and/or a photo of the whole thing/bottom of the post would you?

Interesting about the van as well, thankyou for that. I've the wagon diagrams from the GNRS, I'll go and have a look.

Hi Buhar, the Bears may have been an exaggeration, but the deer have eaten my roses, and raccoons have uncovered my potatoes that the slugs have finished off!

Cheers Matt, at my current speed you might be here for a while :)

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1