Yes etched sides overlayed are quite a common approach. Cannot see why it wouldn't work. Just watch out forany solvent to pull the windows into the recess causing a dip. Given you have had minimal problems with this in the past, go for it!

P.S. If it goes wrong then we will know not to do it ourselves ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :-) I'll carry on with the plans next week. I think I might have to sand/ file the original side back by .010" so that I don't end up with an ugly join. Have a good weekend!

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

Oh class 114's. my staple diet at Grantham when I was a child. According to my father (who was a guard at the time). The station staff would hold the Nottingham service to wait for my Mother and me (in pram) to turn up. We used to visit my grand parents in Bingham every Monday!

As for your rebuild, I did a similar hatchet job on a Lima 117, using a Craftsman kit to create a class 120, for my best mate. He used to grice on them, between Nottingham and Lincoln St Marks.

I look forward to seeing your latest creation.

Finally, the last time I looked the preserved 114 is at Butterley

Paul 4475

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan

I used layers to hold the various elements in the drawing. I didn't want the photo to be too pronounced as this would mask the information in the other two layers. I also cropped the photo as much as possible and got rid of as much of the black area as possible that was caused by the fact that the scanner lid was open.

post-14192-0-78336400-1399850405.jpg

I create a layer called Lima 117 scan and changed the opacity to about 40%. I had to resize the scan so that it was exactly the same size as the actual model

post-14192-0-09618200-1399850405.jpg

Then I took the plan and resized this to fit the scanned photo. I also double-checked the resized plan against the full size dimensions. I had to do this a few times because this isn't something I find too easy. The white parts of the plans were transparent, so you can still see the scan below it. If this wasn't the case, I would have reduced the opacity of this layer as well.

post-14192-0-25115100-1399850404.jpg

Finally, I hid the scan layer and started creating the windows and doors in the way I mentioned above. I did a similar thing with that Armstrong Whitworth Diesel loco (in the first post youll see the plan superimposed over a photo of the Hornby Class 31 bogie. It's a good way of making sure that everything is likely to fit. I turned the scan layer back on from time to time to make sure it all made sense.

One thing I need to remember of course is that the height of the side is slightly different to that on the plan because of the curve of the tumblehome.

The plan I'm showing is from the http://www.railcar.co.uk website. Hopefully the fact that I'm showing a small portion of it, and it's for educational purposes means that it's ok to post.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The windows could be awkward. As far as I can see, I have two options:

Simply glue a long strip of clear plastic behind the side layers to cover all of the windows

Create some way of sliding the material into a pocket behind each window. At the moment, although this looks like the more involved way of doing things, it will allow me to glaze the windows without using glue. The plan of a window opening would be like this:

post-14192-0-29831300-1399852629_thumb.jpg

The pink is the clear plastic of the glazing, and the shades of blue are the three layers of .010" styrene used to make the pocket. Hopefully I'll be able to push the glazing up from below.

Again, feel free to add your twopennyworth. Every model I do is breaking new ground for me in one way or another. :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You just have too much time on your hands now don't you?!

First things first, there are 3 Cravens 105 vehicles in exsistance, two trailers (one in Wales on the railway with all the Ll's in it that I can't spell! This one is being rebuilt and the site is good for all sorts of railcars stuff) and there is another with a powercar at Bury on the East Lancs. This pair are being rebuilt two, but I haven't seen any reports on it for some time, so might have stalled.

As for the 114 this should be a nice converson. I wonder if i have some drawings somewhere (I'll have a look in the lastest scans (which I must sort out!)).

Looking at the drawings you have done, you need to look at the bottom of the guards door, this opens inwards and so it is shorter that the other doors.

The window vents shape doesn't look quite right, but i don't know why.

The bogies aren't helped by the pizza cutter wheels! Does the unit sit high? If it does and you change the wheels to something closer to the correct size (don't forget dmu wheels aren't the same size as normal coaches!) and without the huge flanges, you might be able to remove material from the pivot, which will allow the gap to be closed up.

How are you going to be glazing this unit? Could you use Baccy spares?

Andy g

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, thank you very much, but it had seen it, I temporarily downloaded and colour balanced it, and unfortunately it the photo that showed me I'd used the wrong colour for my paintwork :-/ The odd bit of fencing on the left is where the footbridge used to be.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, cheers for that. The wheels work ok with my track work, so I'm going to leave them on there. I'm basically going to do as accurate representation I can after going in deep with the Armstrong Whitworth, but that will be based around the bodywork and underframe detail.

• RMweb Gold

I've never been known for my blistering pace, and things are slowing down a bit as I get the house ready to sell (up to my ears in wardrobes and cleaning excessively molded kitchen cupboard doors), but I've managed to finish the four sets of sides for the cl114. Next will be splitting them into layers and cutting them out. I think if I get a chance this will be a job for next week. First off I'll be cutting them in thin card to make sure I get the dimensions right. I've two sets of plans and they don't match up in various places, so there's going to be some checking going on.

Anyway, here are the plans so far:

post-14192-0-77801300-1400392180_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought I'd give you a quick update. Things are moving very slowly here, and the final bit of renovating before the house is put on the market happens tomorrow with the fitting of new kitchen worktops - you can't sell a house with no worktops! After that it's the last bit of tarting up, photos over the weekend (one of my jobs is to take property photos, so I'll be doing them myself), and then the house will be on the market at the beginning of next week - finally! That said, there's been a lot to do to convert it back into a house from a B&B and to put right walls  that have been scuffed, etc.

The railway room is now packed up as well. I'm going to keep a small box together so that I can do a couple of small projects between now and moving into/building the new house. One will be the cl 114 above, but the Tudor market hall has gone by the wayside unfortunately. I'm only going to do things relevant to the layout. Oh, and as it doesn't take up any space, I'll probably carry on putting plans together on the computer so that at some point in the future I can turn them into reality. In the meantime I'll be changing my status to "armchair modeller" for the most part. I am also going to carry on researching on the internet and Ebay Wainfleet photos, and I've a book coming from the GNR society about Howlden carriages that I'm looking forward to reading, and maybe converting into plans for the future.

Non-railway and non-house wise it's been pretty interesting week or two. A trip to the seaside meant that I could look at plots on Vancouver Island, and just before I left, my garden started to resemble a zoo. This is a good time of year to see wildlife in Fernie, There is generally a moose or two knocking around as they often give birth in one of the parks in town, and the bears are around town until it gets too hot for them, at which point they'll disappear for most of the summer. Anyway, here's a couple of photos.

post-14192-0-63715200-1403631209.jpg

post-14192-0-56101800-1403631535.jpg

post-14192-0-18533300-1403631211.jpg

Well I'd best get on, sorry it's not a particularly railway related post, but rest assured that I'll make sure that once the house is on the market I'll start haunting your projects again :)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason, great to hear from you, glad that things are going ok, if slowly. Good luck selling the house, and with your move.

I'm sure you'll be bursting with ideas by the time you have space and time to do anything :)

Your garden wildlife rather puts mine to shame... we had the high drama of a flock of sheep invading over the weekend, after they decided they would break down the wall, but I think I prefer that to Bears and Moose :O

Cheers mate, take care of yourself and hope to hear from you soon,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason, glad to hear that everything is progressing for your move, hope you get settled soon, I have got a cat that visits my garden, which dosen't even come close to what visits yours.

look forward to seeing more pics as and when. all the best Adrian.

I thought I'd give you a quick update. Things are moving very slowly here, and the final bit of renovating before the house is put on the market happens tomorrow with the fitting of new kitchen worktops - you can't sell a house with no worktops! After that it's the last bit of tarting up, photos over the weekend (one of my jobs is to take property photos, so I'll be doing them myself), and then the house will be on the market at the beginning of next week - finally! That said, there's been a lot to do to convert it back into a house from a B&B and to put right walls  that have been scuffed, etc.

The railway room is now packed up as well. I'm going to keep a small box together so that I can do a couple of small projects between now and moving into/building the new house. One will be the cl 114 above, but the Tudor market hall has gone by the wayside unfortunately. I'm only going to do things relevant to the layout. Oh, and as it doesn't take up any space, I'll probably carry on putting plans together on the computer so that at some point in the future I can turn them into reality. In the meantime I'll be changing my status to "armchair modeller" for the most part. I am also going to carry on researching on the internet and Ebay Wainfleet photos, and I've a book coming from the GNR society about Howlden carriages that I'm looking forward to reading, and maybe converting into plans for the future.

Non-railway and non-house wise it's been pretty interesting week or two. A trip to the seaside meant that I could look at plots on Vancouver Island, and just before I left, my garden started to resemble a zoo. This is a good time of year to see wildlife in Fernie, There is generally a moose or two knocking around as they often give birth in one of the parks in town, and the bears are around town until it gets too hot for them, at which point they'll disappear for most of the summer. Anyway, here's a couple of photos.

attachicon.gif_JCL3602.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0961.jpg

attachicon.gif_JCL3664.jpg

Well I'd best get on, sorry it's not a particularly railway related post, but rest assured that I'll make sure that once the house is on the market I'll start haunting your projects again :)

I don't crd if they are not related.....fantastic and so close to home. We have 3 deer in our Arboretum at the moment. But th only time I managed to catch them...on video they were on out neighbours....I think my smell sent them scurrying to go get the baby. This is the second year last year a mum and a baby, this time toe females and a baby. I am thinking it's the same ones as last year come back.Luckily a lot of the grass is full height so there is plenty of cover. Plus both roads sides and fenced and hedged. It will be the big pond which is keeping them. Last when the warm weather finally dried it out late summer they had to move on. 

Fantastic photography.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz, sorry I haven't had time to get on here - blimey!

Well the house is on the market (anyone want to buy a house? :) ), and the railway room is tidy - at least as tidy as possible. The layout now looks like this:

post-14192-0-99162800-1406672499.jpg

The new place wont be the same size or shape as the current railway room, so there was no point keeping the boards and paying for them to be put into storage for the next couple of years. Also, I learnt a lot while building these boards that I can use in the next set.

Looking down the length of the layout, I'm thinking, Great Western branch line terminus...

post-14192-0-49261200-1406672839.jpg

Only joking!

The good news is that this board will stay in situ while the house is on the market (and this could be for quite some time), so I can actually get on with some more modelling now. It's just that I'll have to clean away after every session. Oh the horror!

So, it's going to be slow, but I'll be getting there.

Thanks for putting up with me!

cheers

Jason

• Like 1

It's true Sasquatch was in the same position so built buildings until he could get his lovely layout back out. Andy P also scuppered for a while. Plus you have the option to continue working on those great coaches. All grist for the mill. And anyway even if you don't have pictures to put up, it does not mean people won't come and chat. Hope the sale moves....the current financial market is not likely to make it quick. and I sympathise with the tidying up....I hate that bit.

• RMweb Gold

Ta very much everyone. :)

Now, I've no photos at the moment, but I do have a story that is related to why I'm up and about right now at at 4:30 in the morning. It's not railway related, but you might find it interesting. I've just got back from two weeks of sun, sand and, seeing my dad, my brother, and his new wife and children in Thailand. He has a daughter from his wife's previous relationship, and they have a brand new shiny son that arrived just under four weeks ago, so I was excited to see him. Here's my traveller's tale.

I arrived at Calgary airport in plenty of time to get my boarding passes and to check in my bag at oversize luggage (it wasn't oversize, but no problem, I'm in a happy-go-lucky kind of mood) for the 1:45pm flight to Tokyo. I said goodbye to my wife, and I decided, after some browsing of the shops, to head on through security and wait for the flight to Tokyo. About an hour before the plane is due to take off, they start asking for volunteers to fly the following day. It seems that the original plane has a fault, and the replacement is smaller, so there are now too many people. I really didn't want to be bumped as mine wasn't a simple journey, but half an hour later I was with a smashing bloke from Niger and a dozen people from Japan heading back through security to reschedule. Up until being bumped I was worried about being bumped, but afterwards, I was relieved, relaxed even. The thing is, now there is nothing I can do about my situation, so I may as well treat this as an adventure.

Back at ticketing, and with my check-in bag beside me (which took some finding, nobody really knew where it was!), the lady, who had been up since 4am, was trying to get me another flight to Tokyo. She kind of juddered when I told her that I wasn't bothered about getting to Tokyo. It was a surprise to her, but I explained I was going to Bangkok, and I didn't mind how I got there. I'd go via Southend if it helped. Well she's trying this way and that way, and getting very frustrated with her computer. I think that she was at her limit and I was definitely going to be her last customer. (Go out with a bang I say!) At one point she sends someone off to find out if I needed a Visa to get into Hong Kong, and although as a British passport holder I didn't (I did if I was Canadian), she ultimately realised I couldn't go that way either. All of her questing was coming to nothing, when eventually she found a space for me on the same plane I should have been on but the following day. She also put a note on my record to say "don't bump him". Unfortunately she couldn't print off the boarding pass for the last part of my journey, so I was told to do this at the next airport.

In the meantime, I'm in Calgary during the Calgary Stampede, and there is not a single hotel room in the city. This meant that my first flight was now in six hours and was going to Vancouver. I'd pick up a flight to Tokyo there, and then onwards to my brother. No problem, a bit of a wait, but I'd be heading in the right direction. The flight was ok and on time, and at Vancouver, I was an hour and a half closer to my brother and dad.

I was told by an employee that the bag that was supposed to have been checked through was on the carousel. Waiting at the baggage carousel for half an hour, I finally realise my bag's not coming through, so I have a quick word with baggage handling. Gosh, darn it, It seems that my bag is actually going straight through - surprise! :) Just so's you know, they hate it when Calgary does that.

It's now almost midnight as I book in to the Fairmont at Vancouver with my free night's stay coupon - a night's lodging, $15 for an evening meal at the hotel, and $7 for breakfast. Now this is a swanky hotel, and I quickly realise my $7 for breakfast is only going to get me a coffee. It is confirmed thought, that I can bundle the two amounts together and I can spend it all at once, wait for it, in the bar! Hurrah! Two glasses (not pints) of Guinness later, and I'm saying goodnight to the nice waitress and going to bed. It's been an eventful day, but enjoyable nonetheless.

The following morning and I'm up bright and early. Picking up my hotel invoice on my phone, I head out looking for breakfast and a boarding pass in that order. Against my better judgement I wandered over to Wendy's and bought some porridge. "Do I want southern fries with that?" the girl asked. "What?" came my reply. It's a bit early and I must have said yes, as I sat down with porridge and chips on my tray. The porridge was really pretty good, but I only had one chip, I don't know, it didn't seem right at that time of day. At the check-in, I asked for my Tokyo to Bangkok boarding ticket. Unfortunately they couldn't print it. It was something to do with the fact that I was Air Canada to Tokyo, but Thai Airways from there onwards. At security they would I mind having a nude photo taken, or would I prefer being patted down by a burly security guard. No problem, photo it was, and five hours later I was flying over the Pacific.

Tokyo airport, or at least Terminal 1 is not interesting at all. There, I've said it. Manchester Airport is much more interesting than Tokyo, for example. It looks like a 1960's office block, and reminds me of a couple of places I worked at in the 1980s. With this in mind I decided to go find my boarding pass, grab a coffee and sit down to read a book. It was a bit of a trek to the gate, and when I got there, there was a sign to say that it had moved. It didn't take long to find the new one, so I sat next to it and waited. An hour or so later, someone turned up to start admining. I told them of my plight, and they said they'd look for my boarding pass. Can;t say no fairer than that. Then, there was a lot of frowning. Not good. New staff were called over to help withe the frowning. Then things went quiet. Half an hour later I went over again to find out what was going on. The people that had been sorting out my pass had disappeared and it was suggested that I gave them more time. Another hour passed. The first passengers were called to start boarding, and suddenly my heart was beating outside my body.

Up until now my journey had been a lark and I was just rolling with the changes. Now I was getting stressed. Before, it was an adventure, and at all times I knew I was going to eventually get to see my brother. Now, I wasn't so sure.

Families with small children were now being ushered aboard when the original gate monitor (erm, not sure what their job title would be), came over to give me some preamble, but I had no idea what she was saying to me. All I wanted to know was, do I have a pass? She continued "... and so we've managed to get you onto this flight ...". What? I told her that I could kiss her, which isn't like me at all. She blushed, handed me my pass, and raced back to the safety of her counter. She had apologised as she could only get me a middle seat, but as I said to her, you could have strapped me to the tail and I'd still be happy!

So there it was. Touch and go, and 24 hours delayed, but I did manage to get to see my brother and his new family, and had a great time. Now, the journey home, well that's a different story and involves an elephant...

---

Normal service will resume as soon as possible and I promise to talk Wainfleet and cl114 in my next update.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason, good to have you back, what a tale, is it out on DVD yet. Some cracking pictures of your house, hope you can sell it soon without to much stress, but after that story I think that would be water off a Mooses back. all the best Adrian.

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear you are progressing mate; I spent six months without baseboards modelling for Bacup and now it is all but completed other than stock, am planning to start on the next project which will also progress mainly without a layout in place (track building in my offcut of hardboard, EM locos and stock, structures, etc.). I find the construction much more enjoyable than the operation.

P.s. No I am not giving anything away yet :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Jason, you have me intrigued.

Yes, I'm looking forward to a couple of smaller projects such as the class 114 and finishing the Barnum coach. That's been niggling the back of my mind for the last few weeks, and I'd really like to get it done.