Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Without wishing to suggest any memory failings on any part the 414 in LT / LCBS days was always West Croydon - Horsham and went nowhere near Hertford.  The northern routes were numbered in the 300-series and the southern in the 400-series with very few exceptions and with relatively few meeting places.  One spot which account for both was Uxbridge where the 305 and 455 were different routes to High Wycombe and where the 305, 321 and 347 met the 455, 457, 458 and 459 amid a sea of red buses.

Hertford (HG garage, on Fairfax Road) did have Routemaster coaches on allocation however, though of the standard length RMC type, since they ran half the 715 Green Line with GF (Guildford) having the other half. When that went one-man in 1971 the coaches were refreshed for bus use and appeared in Hertford on the 341 to and from St. Albans and on a shared allocation with that city's SA garage of the same type.

The 414 was run in roughly equal measure by DS (Dorking) and RG (Reigate) using RCLs displaced from the 721, Aldgate - Brentwood, run by Romford Express (RE) garage when that route was converted to one-man operation.

Rick,

I am presuming we are talking about the A414? This ran from Chelmsford across to Hertford (missed Harlow) and finished just north of Hatfield at the A1.

Peter

There doesn't have to be a large number of people to make a successful running session. I'm glad the weather was kind for both gatherings, yesterday. It seems a good time was had by all concerned. :)

• Like 2

Well I think I would have to say that the Blackburn hijack crew don't mind a bit of every day detritus and maybe we can arrange another deputation this side of the guy with the sack turning up!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We do things correctly here.  Can't afford any BR-style faux-pas where a sulky service has to be maintained because of defects in the statutory closure process ;)

i-JqtJHFm-L.jpg

i-fF889w7-L.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the afternoon  playing trains. As usual the layout looked superb the trains behaved  quite well too apart from the Cargo wagons but then thats a coupler issue and not your track.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for dropping by Peter - always good to see you and we actually got time for a decent natter one-to-one :D  The layout has been running quite well recently despite the wretched Cargowaggons spoiling the effect!  I've just listed two along with most of the other stuff for sale through a Facebook page I belong to.  I took the Hawksworth van out of the sales stock in the end.  The maroon RBR is listed at $25 but if she doesn't sell and / or you are still interested in that or anything else just let me know.

I'll post up a link in a day or so when the listing goes live as it's in a public group.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some items of rolling stock have departed Penhayle Bay for pastures new.  Those pastures range, currently, from nearby to New South Wales and Tasmania and as far as New Zealand.

Among items recently departed is the NSE-liveried bubble car 55031 which was paired with GWR150-liveried sister 55020 (which is staying here) for a farewell run:

i-7p6gXZ7-L.jpg

The pair made a colourful combination on the cliffs where some Spring flowers are also adding to the colour

i-pVZrVDf-L.jpg

Also departed are the Hornby power-and-dummy pair of EWS-livery class 37 locos of the earlier Lima style.  They look OK though Bachmann and ViTrains ones are much better and also run more smoothly.  These locos have never been particularly successful here though a little additional weight in the nose-end above the power bogie would probably improve performance no end.

i-xJRz6bb-L.jpg

37174, the powered unit, leads dummy 37298 on their final working across Darras Viaduct.  The weathering is a mixture of factory-applied and my own early attempts.

i-H9gmwDD-L.jpg

Other items to have departed recently include the South West Trains class 170 DMU, one of the pair of class 158 units in Provincial Express colours (the other is being kept) and numerous carriages and wagons among which is almost the entire InterCity Executive livery Mk1 rake.  Of ten coaches I am only keeping the restaurant car.  The rake formed a railtour and charter set and saw very little use though appeared behind steam and diesel locos on rare occasions. 

There is still a fair amount to be disposed of including a couple of illuminated Hornby Pullmans in almost unused condition and a 5-car class 221 Voyager unit in Virgin red livery.  I can supply a list by PM to anyone interested.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A "namer" on the vans.  Class 47 D1677 in two-tone green livery and named "Thor" leads a train of 45-foot 4-wheel vans through Penhayle Bay on a warm evening.

i-Qcms7JX-L.jpg

i-WRXGDXB-L.jpg

Today and tomorrow mark the start of the hot weather.  38C is the forecast top tomorrow so the layout is already covered with its protective styrofoam blocks in critical areas.  These also serve to keep the rain off as the hottest days sometimes end with a torrential thunderstorm.  

Penhayle Bay is entering its final summer of operation.  There is no date yet for the last trains though that is still expected around Easter next year.  Anything which needs more than cosmetic attention now will simply be left.  Cracked ballast and road surfaces I can deal with but there will be no more works done which cost any amount of time or money.  However the layout still looks good, photographs well enough and is running well.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Now will the IC mk1s be doing a farewell tour of Penhayle Bay? I must find a restaurant car for the rake once it arrives here

It could be arranged.  I do have a matching Mk1 restaurant car which ran in this rake but isn't part of the disposals because it also runs in the Mk3 rake and the mixed-livery charter rake which sometimes includes Pullmans.  

However the layout still looks good, photographs well enough and is running well.

Cant argue with any of that Rick, although I cant vouch for the running, but it always looks good and with some great vantage points for the Cameraman.

It could be arranged.  I do have a matching Mk1 restaurant car which ran in this rake but isn't part of the disposals because it also runs in the Mk3 rake and the mixed-livery charter rake which sometimes includes Pullmans.

Ah yes! I do know of those other formations too!

Would be great to see it do one last lap of your famous layout!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes! I do know of those other formations too!

Would be great to see it do one last lap of your famous layout!

And here you are Sir.  Something a little different to the normal views

Most of these coaches are destined for a new home in New Zealand.  The maroon BCK acting as a support coach and all the catering vehicles are staying here; for the rest this was their final run at Penhayle Bay.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

You're welcome.  It isn't every layout that has comfortable space for a double-header with 13 on either.   I shall miss all that space when I am confined, as I suspect I shall be, to a shunting plank or static diorama which emerges from under the bed at permitted times.