Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

Ignoring the miserable Cornish giants looming over the scene it was totally captivating and the track looks remarkably realistic. I've always said that Penhayle Bay is a future classic and this video confirms it.

More power to your elbow Rick.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely superb. It really gives a perspective that you simply don't get any other way.

But was I imagining it or does the train go past a signal at danger on the first circuit (down main) near the twin tunnels?

• RMweb Gold

My son, four,and I really enjoyed the video. I explained it was set in Cornwall, where we're holidaying next month, and he asked to see the layout. I then explained you were a little further away but that hasn't dampened his enthusiasm!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

you could at least smile when the camera is on you - you look very serious for someone who just has to be having a lot of fun controlling this impressive layout.

Excellent stuff gentlemen, although I have to agree with Bogie that you are a miserable-looking lot.

Ignoring the miserable Cornish giants looming over the scene

Miserable?  Nah - that's the look of collective concentration ;)

Absolutely superb. It really gives a perspective that you simply don't get any other way.

But was I imagining it or does the train go past a signal at danger on the first circuit (down main) near the twin tunnels?

Your imagination is halfway there - the train passes Penhayle Distant which is at permanent caution because of the steep twisting descent ahead.  As the arm is horizontal and the backlighting almost washes it out it could be mistaken for SPADding a stop signal.

Gents - your other comments are very generous and received with humble thanks.  "A future classic" is quite something to live with.  Few layouts are described in such terms and I certainly don't consider myself to be up there with the likes of other classics such as Tetley Mills.  Thank you all very much.  With this sort of feedback and the still-increasing numbers following on the Facebook page I shall endeavour to keep Penhayle Bay going for as long as circumstances allow.  

• Like 6

To add to the above plaudits, the 'journey' was very effective, apart from Gandolf and his giant chums but fortunately Cornwall is renowned for its legends be they giants or piskies!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

As ever I almost completely failed to photograph anything running while visitors were here largely because I needed both hands on the panel and both eyes on the trains.

Today was pack-up day when everything moveable is removed prior to my annual trip home.  And of course everything which was still on the layout got a run before going back into its various boxes and trays.

What's this?  A Gresley on the Western Region???  All is more or less correct. W9135E was allocated to Cardiff Canton in its later days and used in trains between there and Portsmouth or Plymouth.  I'm not sure it would ever have reached Cornwall but there certainly were Cardiff - Penzance through trains.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-PkhVCbf/0/1280/i-PkhVCbf-1280.mp4

Here's something a little more recent as a class 66 - nickname "shed" - leads the clay tanks past Treisaacs Farm's hay shed.  

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KmqCnRT/0/1280/i-KmqCnRT-1280.mp4

And some classic Penhayle Bay stills ..... starting with the same 66 entering Treheligan seen from the road bridge

i-CFzdPCB-L.jpg

Heading into the setting sun across Darras Viaduct

i-2VvqdXp-L.jpg

And class 43 "Warship" number 842 "Royal Oak" arriving at Treheligan with an up London train of Mk1 stock.

i-L2Ttzsw-L.jpg

i-mH7FNrw-L.jpg

Finally the London train picks slows to pick up passengers at Penhayle Bay station where the evening light picks out Men Tor high above and a couple enjoying a bracing stroll to the summit.

i-t5JmVmv-L.jpg

Penhayle Bay has now been packed away and covered over for the next several weeks until my return.

• Like 13

Hi Rick,

Have a good trip. I am still planning to go back  in Sept. Haven't sorted flights yet. Who are you flying with?

Love the 66 on the Viaduct. Not much sun about today. Blowing a gale here.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

Not much sun at all - I got lucky with a few late rays.  It's been wet and wild here too and some of the beach sand got washed away though nothing I can't fix as there's huge amounts of it down the road ready for collection!

I fly with Emirates and book direct rather than through an agent.  That way you get to select your seat at booking not check-in and you can check in online 48 hours before flying.   Great food, generous and comfortable seats, thousands of entertainment channels on demand and usually very good cabin service.  For my money they're the best of the bunch though not the cheapest.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

Not much sun at all - I got lucky with a few late rays.  It's been wet and wild here too and some of the beach sand got washed away though nothing I can't fix as there's huge amounts of it down the road ready for collection!

I fly with Emirates and book direct rather than through an agent.  That way you get to select your seat at booking not check-in and you can check in online 48 hours before flying.   Great food, generous and comfortable seats, thousands of entertainment channels on demand and usually very good cabin service.  For my money they're the best of the bunch though not the cheapest.

I have used both Emirates and Etihad - little to choose between them in the air but in my opinion Abu Dhabi is a less disagreeable airport than Dubai. Of course, our normal choice is SQ via Changi for reasons that are obvious to those that know us!

Bon voyage anyway and leave some stock in Chris's shop for the others.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Abu Dhabi is a less disagreeable airport than Dubai.

I have also had good reports of Doha when flying with Qatar as Sharon did last year and friends did more recently.  Not a route I've used as yet.  The transit of any Arabian airport is just a little different to the "western way" but when in Rome ..... I don't have any problem with Dubai myself though it is huge and they are very keen to sell you high-priced jewellery and electronics.  They also have an uneasy relationship with alcohol as a "dry" muslim nation but cheerfully sell it in the airport (including the Irish theme pub!) and give it away free in flight.  For a couple of hours in transit I'll put up and shut up.

Thanks Rick and John,

I haven't flow with Emirates so will have a look. We used Qatar a few years back and thought it was pretty good though Doha was being rebuilt back then so was  not the best to be honest.

Have a safe trip Rick. Will have to try and catch up when you return.

Cheers Peter.

As ever I almost completely failed to photograph anything running while visitors were here largely because I needed both hands on the panel and both eyes on the trains.

Today was pack-up day when everything moveable is removed prior to my annual trip home.  And of course everything which was still on the layout got a run before going back into its various boxes and trays.

I shall miss PB and its railway as its one of those topics that is always read, but have a good trip back home.

Its strange how we expats still regard it as 'home'. I've been here over fifty years and still say the same thing; I suppose it always is!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

It's where I was born and lived for 43 years so it will always be home.  You can take the boy out of Cornwall but you can't take Cornwall out of the boy ;)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Checking in safely returned from the Old Country.

It's been a mixed trip, something of a roller-coaster, with a wedding and a funeral and with both my parents showing signs of nearing the end.  Dad in particular has taken the loss of his sister very hard and stopped eating.  I drove him to town to register the death though he could barely walk.  He is just a little better now though whether he will recover fully is debatable.  

There have been fun times and intense times with friends and even with my Australian neighbour who joined me in Cornwall.  

And I promise there is still some stock left in a certain shop in Camborne.  I did visit, as I always do, but actually came away with nothing purchased this time.  I have plenty on order however and there's an up-coming announcement which will add to those orders.

Penhayle Bay has been dusted off and the first train ran today; a three-car Lima DMU purchased via EBay and which was awaiting my collection in the UK.  I don't normally go for Lima and have tried to rid myself of their powered items.  Bachmann hasn't announced an all-blue class 117 and I managed to fry one coach of the two-car set I had.  Centre cars have been hard to find and it proved as cheap to buy a whole unit as to replace the damaged car and invest in a trailer.  It runs OK by Lima standards.

There is a very wet patch on the baseboards through the fiddle yard.  It's not a big area but the board is soaked through and yields to light finger pressure.  This winter's maintenance is therefore going to include a cut-out-and-replace of the affected area, some modified waterproofing along the back and the necessary uplift and relaying of several lengths of rail.  I have plenty of new rail in stock if the old cannot be salvaged.  

Tomorrow is Queen's Birthday Holiday here.  I have over 3000 photos to sort of which 800 are from the wedding and are a priority job.  I have to get the finished album (on a memory stick these days!) off to the happy couple by next weekend.  But in between I shall get out and run a few more trains as well as remove the out-of-scale leaves which have fallen in my absence. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Trains are running once again after the main lines were wiped down and the worst of the leaves and cobwebs brushed away.

The only new arrival - though hardly a new model! - is the Lima suburban DMU which has entered traffic without any detailing or weathering so far.  Here it catches the sun as it works empty cars to Treheligan to take up branch line duty

i-2vSbJnz-L.jpg

And making its first foray up the St. Agnes branch which has a severe gradient.  That was tackled with aplomb and the Lima unit out-performed some more modern units in tackling the hill without a slip.  The Hornby 3-car class 101 unit which is about the same weight and uses something like the same motor won't cope; it has to be reduced to a 2-car or have a bubble-car for assistance as a 4-car or mixed triple.  I think that's the first time I have had anything to say in favour of Lima's pizza-cutter wheels!  

i-5VHxcTM-L.jpg

Meanwhile on the main line 50013 leads the "Murphy", the morning Exeter - Penzance stopper which conveyed parcels and passengers and often more vans than seated carriages.

i-VTSTgB8-L.jpg

50013 in the sunlight at St. Gunzelas church with a BG parcels van as first vehicle in the train

i-LhSz8Nt-L.jpg

• Like 15

Remind me next time we are going to meet, Rick, to bring along some 'Bullfrog Snot' and you should bring the Hornby 101. A little of the 'Bullfrog Snot' on even one wheel should improve the traction out of sight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a wonderful hobby this is.  Not only offers of help but with wonderful names like "Bullfrog Snot".  I've tried to get that before now without much luck as there's a few locos here which could benefit and I really should have some in stock.  Thanks Jeff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Checking in safely returned from the Old Country.

It's been a mixed trip, something of a roller-coaster, with a wedding and a funeral and with both my parents showing signs of nearing the end.  Dad in particular has taken the loss of his sister very hard and stopped eating.  I drove him to town to register the death though he could barely walk.  He is just a little better now though whether he will recover fully is debatable.  

There have been fun times and intense times with friends and even with my Australian neighbour who joined me in Cornwall.  

And I promise there is still some stock left in a certain shop in Camborne.  I did visit, as I always do, but actually came away with nothing purchased this time.  I have plenty on order however and there's an up-coming announcement which will add to those orders.

Penhayle Bay has been dusted off and the first train ran today; a three-car Lima DMU purchased via EBay and which was awaiting my collection in the UK.  I don't normally go for Lima and have tried to rid myself of their powered items.  Bachmann hasn't announced an all-blue class 117 and I managed to fry one coach of the two-car set I had.  Centre cars have been hard to find and it proved as cheap to buy a whole unit as to replace the damaged car and invest in a trailer.  It runs OK by Lima standards.

There is a very wet patch on the baseboards through the fiddle yard.  It's not a big area but the board is soaked through and yields to light finger pressure.  This winter's maintenance is therefore going to include a cut-out-and-replace of the affected area, some modified waterproofing along the back and the necessary uplift and relaying of several lengths of rail.  I have plenty of new rail in stock if the old cannot be salvaged.  

Tomorrow is Queen's Birthday Holiday here.  I have over 3000 photos to sort of which 800 are from the wedding and are a priority job.  I have to get the finished album (on a memory stick these days!) off to the happy couple by next weekend.  But in between I shall get out and run a few more trains as well as remove the out-of-scale leaves which have fallen in my absence. 

Welcome home Rick and my condolences for the loss of your aunt.

You did well to miss last weekend's weather, which may well have been the cause of your damp patch.

Hi Rick,

Good to have you back. Nice to see trains running already, it was a lovely Winters day today nice to see the sun out for most of it. 

I have a Hornby 101 with the new type motor and it has traction tyres might be worth testing it on your branch. We could swap motors if you want as I have another 101 with new type motor and no traction tyres and it runs fine on Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

Good to have you back. Nice to see trains running already, it was a lovely Winters day today nice to see the sun out for most of it. 

I have a Hornby 101 with the new type motor and it has traction tyres might be worth testing it on your branch. We could swap motors if you want as I have another 101 with new type motor and no traction tyres and it runs fine on Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

That would be an even better solution than the 'Bulfrog Snot, Peter, if you and Rick can do that.