Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

This beast has featured before but has reappeared after the hydraulics were put away.  

The Western Region class 47 "namers" were never common in the far south west being largely confined to the London and Bristol areas with regular workings into South Wales also.

Seen in good sunlight on the narrow side of the layout which despite appearances really is only 9" wide at this point.

i-XxP4gpc-L.jpg

Broadside on the viaduct

i-xHsrGF3-L.jpg

Now does this belong in the layout thread or under the weathering one?  The loco has had a few details added since last outing including bogie frame weathering and a touch of Grimy Black - a colour I didn't have available until recently - on the roof in addition to the previous Soot Black

i-HcjkBBc-L.jpg

And paused at Penhayle Bay where the tunnel does a reasonable job of taking the eye off the 90-degree bend around the corner of the layout here.

i-Q7dczxz-L.jpg
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Twin Peaks!

A reasonably clean 45 waits in the loop while a filthy and faded 46 storms through with the up mails.

i-mGBVT5C-L.jpg

Meanwhile a class 25 growls through Penhayle Bay in the evening with a rake of vans

i-9zjvShR-L.jpg

And down at the shed 37207 waited its next job and the duty 08 chuntered away at the head of the cement tanks

i-ZP6ddbL-L.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Penhayle Bay must have warm summer evenings judging by the bathers on the beach!

Brian.

Enough people to warrant a double-decker bus on the evening service - not something you'd see very often nowadays!

Mermaid-watching is a popular pastime in the area and they sometimes only come out after dark ;)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Many of us here will know of the page I maintain at Mr. Zuckerberg's popular website.  

As a matter of course I always check to see that all those who subscribe as "Likes" apparently have at least some interest in the hobby through other similar connections and / or being known to me personally.  I've deleted two people so far on suspicion of being hackers or spam-bots.  But with 1169 current followers and a recent picture reaching over 13,000 people directly I reckon that's a pretty small proportion.

I also review who shares my posts as I can then see who, in turn has liked them beyond my own page.  And I always respond to comments and messages left.

Today I discovered a message posted from someone who I don't immediately recognise (apologies if it's someone here who I haven't ID'd from their user-name!) and who "Shared" my latest picture via his own feed with a very generous and what I found extremely humbling comment:

When every other post seems to be about sadness, disaster and terror ... I want to share one of my guilty pleasures. I enjoy seeing pictures from this wonderful model railway layout popping up in my newsfeed. It is a more orderly world.

I don't set out to do anything other than show some pictures in the hope that others are interested and that some of those might be inspired to model if they don't already do so.  To think that even in a tiny way my backyard hobby might be having a positive effect on others in a troubled world is, frankly, humbling to the n-th degree and I'm truly grateful for those words.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 13

I would agree.  Our layouts are indeed  a little world of peace and prosperity.  Its inhabitants have excellent train service with trains seemingly following each other like London buses!  The country side is usually  green and pleasant surrounded by blue skies (on the back scene!).  Its prosperity is obvious with the number of goods trains and frequent passenger service. 

In other words, you can go in the train room, shut the door and leave the world and its troubles outside.  To make it even more 'feel good', my wife brings me a cup of tea! :imsohappy: 

Brian.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The original concept behind Penhayle Bay always assumed that there would be some Southern input. Partly because the fictitious location is very close to Newquay and assumes the 15-mile "missing link" between that town (on the GWR) and Padstow (on the SR) was actually built and not simply planned and shelved. And partly because I have strong family connections to the SR at Wadebridge and I quite like their motive power.

With the recent arrival of the O2 tanks and the S15 I thought it was about time to get the "green box" out of the cupboard and play kettles!

So the S15 is more or less weathered to my satisfaction now despite a generous (excessive?) application of oil at the factory. That has at least found its way over all the motion and driving wheels making them look nice and greasy in the sun.

i-5GGGVvQ-L.jpg

That could easily be somewhere on the SR main line west of Salisbury. I've added a dummy screw coupler to the front but in common with other S15 owners have found it necessary to remove the front steps and ejector pipework in order for the pony truck to negotiate curves. I'm hoping to get at least one step back in place eventually; a small amount of adjustment to one spot on the track should be enough. The discs (head signal in SR parlance) are set for Waterloo - Salisbury - Exeter.

i-f3B6TPm-L.jpg

To keep the S15 company the branch service was worked by the large Standard tank and a BR Mk1 BCK - the "instant train" in a single carriage having first and second classes, smoking and non-smoking in both and a guard's brake compartment and luggage area. The head signal is set for Exeter - Ilfracombe.  The dummy coupler is newly fitted and requires weathering in.

i-VdkfBm3-L.jpg

i-D4kKbbz-L.jpg

A Hornby loco which hasn't had a run here in a very long time is the T9. This carries commercially-applied weathering which is starting to fade to an odd ochre shade on the wheels which will be over brushed with powders at some time. The coal added to the bunker was also exhibiting shiny white adhesive and has already been dealt with as the black weathering powder was handy!

When these locos were released there was consternation that they featured traction tyres. They are very light - almost as light as the O2s which are half their size - and without some assistance wouldn't pull skin off a custard. I had mine marked down as a poor performer but today, with clean wheels, she managed five coaches easily over my severe gradients. 

Here the head signal is set for Exeter - Padstow upon which route the last examples worked out their final days.

i-c6gcCZW-L.jpg

i-XHmtSNd-L.jpg
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff.  The T9 seems to be showing one of the age-related effects of airbrush weathering.  I can improve on that with powders in due course and they in turn can be re-applied and touched-up as and when required.  

• Like 1

The original concept behind Penhayle Bay always assumed that there would be some Southern input. Partly because the fictitious location is very close to Newquay and assumes the 15-mile "missing link" between that town (on the GWR) and Padstow (on the SR) was actually built and not simply planned and shelved. And partly because I have strong family connections to the SR at Wadebridge and I quite like their motive power.

With the recent arrival of the O2 tanks and the S15 I thought it was about time to get the "green box" out of the cupboard and play kettles!

So the S15 is more or less weathered to my satisfaction now despite a generous (excessive?) application of oil at the factory. That has at least found its way over all the motion and driving wheels making them look nice and greasy in the sun.

i-5GGGVvQ-L.jpg

That could easily be somewhere on the SR main line west of Salisbury. I've added a dummy screw coupler to the front but in common with other S15 owners have found it necessary to remove the front steps and ejector pipework in order for the pony truck to negotiate curves. I'm hoping to get at least one step back in place eventually; a small amount of adjustment to one spot on the track should be enough. The discs (head signal in SR parlance) are set for Waterloo - Salisbury - Exeter.

i-f3B6TPm-L.jpg

To keep the S15 company the branch service was worked by the large Standard tank and a BR Mk1 BCK - the "instant train" in a single carriage having first and second classes, smoking and non-smoking in both and a guard's brake compartment and luggage area. The head signal is set for Exeter - Ilfracombe.  The dummy coupler is newly fitted and requires weathering in.

i-VdkfBm3-L.jpg

i-D4kKbbz-L.jpg

A Hornby loco which hasn't had a run here in a very long time is the T9. This carries commercially-applied weathering which is starting to fade to an odd ochre shade on the wheels which will be over brushed with powders at some time. The coal added to the bunker was also exhibiting shiny white adhesive and has already been dealt with as the black weathering powder was handy!

When these locos were released there was consternation that they featured traction tyres. They are very light - almost as light as the O2s which are half their size - and without some assistance wouldn't pull skin off a custard. I had mine marked down as a poor performer but today, with clean wheels, she managed five coaches easily over my severe gradients. 

Here the head signal is set for Exeter - Padstow upon which route the last examples worked out their final days.

i-c6gcCZW-L.jpg

i-XHmtSNd-L.jpg

Thanks Rick for some great pics, my Parents lived at Chapel Amble and so Wadebridge and St Kew, (where they were Married) was local and that's why my Pencarne Junction /  Trewenn is GWR / SR, I now NEED a S15, it looks stunning.   

Keep the pics and Head Code information coming, its really helpful.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.

The S15 is a good model though not without a couple of issues.  Mine (and others reported on RMweb) has excess lubricant or perhaps Hornby now cover the entire wheels and motions on purpose.  The front steps foul the pony-truck on any curve, not just fixed-geometry track work.  My curves are quite gentle but off she came every time as the wheel tangled with the step.  The ejectors have had to be cut back slightly for the same reason though I hope to be able to get at least one step back on eventually.  I also want to try tightening the pony-truck pivot screw to see if that improves the tendency to jump around; it does seem very slack.

Small world.  Father was evacuated to Chapel Amble and later to nearby Tregellist during WW2 while his father remained in the London area for war service.  It would have been at Port Isaac Road, the nearest station to both places, that he first encountered a Southern driver who he and others described as "a little strange" and who was happy (on a good day) to tell some very tall tales of dragons and other beasts along the line to the lads on platform ends.  Little did my youthful father know then that he was listening to those stories being told by my maternal great uncle who was a Wadebridge driver.  Given that both sides of the family were in the same area and used the same trains it is entirely possible, and we consider it almost certain, that my parents had met as children (unknown to each other at the time) long before they met and became a couple some time after hostilities ceased.

In the past few years I have revisited a number of places my parents knew as kids and have some photos largely taken for their benefit.  Such things were not done during the war of course and dad in particular had tears in his eyes when I produced pictures of places he had thought long ago that he would never see again.  Both are now too old - almost into their 90s - and frail to travel far from their home in Sussex so there's no suggestion of me taking them back to their childhood.

I have tried, over the years, to trace records of my great uncle.  Among Wadebridge men he is one that just doesn't appear in railway records.  I have his long service medals and other awards, plus a single photo of him in uniform, so I know  he was there.  A few years ago I happened to be at Okehampton station and got chatting to a volunteer there.  He was interested in my background and introduced me to a fellow volunteer sat in the cafe and who recalled working with my great uncle.  That is the first and so far only positive connection I have made and sadly the individual concerned is now no longer with us meaning I have just a few minutes of conversation to cling to as a direct link with my past.  He described "Driver George" as he was always known as a "cantankerous old " which accords with the stories my parents both tell of him at work.  He was thought of as odd, "cold" and had a strange way about him.  We think, given that there is a strong family history of the condition, that he would today be diagnosed with Asperger's which afflicts most of the male line through my maternal family.

In other news the head signal information can be found readily on the SEMG website here : http://www.semgonline.com/headcodes/sheadcodes.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today it was the turn of an A1X Terrier on the branch.  Even the minuscule and fly-weight Hornby model can manage a single Mk1 on the branch gradient.  These locos were famous for their late survival on the Hayling Island branch upon which nothing heavier was permitted to cross Langston bridge.  The head signal disc is thus set for Havant - Hayling Island and in SR fashion, but contrary to the rule book, there's one at each end to minimise the number of disc changes required on a short-distance service.

i-FxsbD4B-L.jpg

The main line saw one of Mr. Bulleid's air-smoothed light Pacifics in action with one of his design of coaches first in the train as well. Like 'em or loathe 'em these distinctive locos brought a touch of individuality to the routes they served and could be found widely over Southern metals.  34041 carries the name Wilton and is therefore a West Country class.  The discs are set, as with the S15 yesterday, for Waterloo - Exeter; the engines often worked through though crews were normally changed at Salisbury.

i-99CT8hg-L.jpg

i-F6NQSCD-L.jpg
  • Like 17

Super set of pics Rick,

The various Standard class loco's have always been a favourite of mine as are the Bulleid loco's, But I do like the S15 and T9 the weathering looks great on all the models.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

You should get a 2Bil and 2 Hal and pretend the third rail got somewhere west of Salisbury!

Paul R

Plenty of those already owned here Paul.  They were at one time intended to be used on layout which is awaiting completion.  In the meantime two or three are posed on a diorama in my workroom.  Very occasionally when no-one's looking they get to stretch their legs on Penhayle Bay no doubt using their traction batteries for power ;)

i-Xxb2VWS-L.jpg

• Like 7

Morning Rick, Thanks for more great pics and info. Apart from 3 years back down in Buckfastleigh and Buckfast I lived at Havant and Waterlooville from the age of 13 (1963) until 2005 and no one could understand why the Haying Rail Bridge wasn't re instated for either a Tram System or a second Road Bridge. The Island was, and still is, a complete nightmare to get on and off in the summer. There used to be the Loco in a Pub Car Park of I think it was the Hayling Billy that our Band used to Play in a couple of times a year, but that went when some new Owners moved in and I don't know where it is now, I hope its Preserved somewhere.

I spent last night putting Coal in the Tenders of my Bulleids, N Class and Q1 and some Head Code Disc's ready for our Clubs Open Weekend in a couple of weeks time when I'll be running my West Shed Layout as Ex SR Steam.

Please keep the pics coming.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There used to be the Loco in a Pub Car Park of I think it was the Hayling Billy that our Band used to Play in a couple of times a year, but that went when some new Owners moved in and I don't know where it is now, I hope its Preserved somewhere.

Good news Andrew.

BR 32646, formerly LB&SCR 46 and latterly plinthed outside the "Hayling Billy" pub where you was her is now in active preservation at Havenstreet on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway where she carries the identity W8 and is named Freshwater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_A1X_Class_W8_Freshwater

Good news Andrew.

BR 32646, formerly LB&SCR 46 and latterly plinthed outside the "Hayling Billy" pub where you was her is now in active preservation at Havenstreet on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway where she carries the identity W8 and is named Freshwater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_A1X_Class_W8_Freshwater

Thanks Rick, that's really good news, we asked the new Landlord after it had gone and he had no idea.

• RMweb Premium

Sunday 29th November - Buses Replacing Trains

Buses will replace trains all day on the Penhayle Bay Railway while our engineers carry out planned maintenance works.  You are advised to allow an extra 30 minutes for your journey.  We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

At first light a ballast train was spotted emerging from Nansglaw Tunnel

i-xgLPfNf-L.jpg

First stop was atop Darras Viaduct where selective ballast maintenance was carried out.

i-LmL3t5J-L.jpg

The main work site was at Treheligan station where reballasting of the "six-foot" is in progress.  Note the engineer's trolley and track tamper also present.

i-kf6RSFs-L.jpg

The ballast train was powered "top-and-tail" fashion with a loco at each end.  This allows safe movement in both directions within the area under engineer's possession rather than having to reverse a train with the driver at the far end.  Heavy trains such as this also require two locos to provide adequate power.

i-wGwKW9p-L.jpg

A sea of orange vests - not all actively engaged in working! - as the final layer of ballast is spread from the wagons.

i-jJX6tVS-L.jpg

Another angle on the work - or lack of it is some cases.

i-dsqVwPs-L.jpg

A fleet of buses replaced trains to take passengers wherever they needed to go.  The ballast train has drawn up alongside the tamper.

i-zG8ZTVD-L.jpg

Buses of all shapes and sizes were in use.  Here a Leyland National turns into Station Hill.  Trains will resume from first service in the morning.

i-JjHpR59-L.jpg

In other news Penhayle Lifeboat has returned to take up position for the summer season.  The train above has terminated here due to the engineering work farther along the line.

i-jXZPSJS-L.jpg

"All Stop" is the hand-signal from the bow-man as the fishing boat approaches the quay and has to negotiate the Severn Class lifeboat occupying the spare berth.  Summer is just around the corner when the lifeboat appears; her duty lasts until the end of the main holiday period.

i-ZBSMWPS-L.jpg
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.  All my buses are as-bought apart from a light weathering applied to a few and the numbers / destinations altered by blacking out on a couple.  None has been repainted.

With a quartet of 50 Hoovers I could easily recycle the ballast ;)  No two are the same - there's BR blue TOPS number, large logo blue with grey roof, GW150 green and late NSE stripes.  I've just managed to restrain myself from ordering a black roof large logo blue version (so far!) but might need the upcoming early NSE version.

Of passing interest is that the buses are among types I drove in the liveries that were current when I was driving.  The Olympians (which we knew as Limp-alongs) were dreadfully sluggish beasts and kept off the most time-critical duties for that reason.  The Bristol VRT in the background wears the more recent livery usually referred to as "Badgers and flags" which was being applied when I started and replaced the "mud" scheme.   I never drove a Leyland National in service though they were among the first buses I ever drove - somewhat unofficially as I had a mate who was the local fitter and I got "perks" when he was on late shift and no-one else was looking ;)

• Like 1