Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

As much as I'd love just to pop in Rick, unfortunately I'll be on holiday in Bala, Wales, so cant get to OZZZ and back, sorry, hahahha

Have a good session with LOADS of pics I hope.

Plus you don't like our Spiders.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Plus you don't like our Spiders.

Cheers Peter.

There's nothing wrong with our spiders!  Some are almost big enough to make a decent snack with a serve of (hot) chips.  Except they're mostly a mite toxic and not at all edible ;)

• RMweb Premium

Been doing a bit of a Spring clean on the layout prior to Sunday's running day.  I reckon the only thing I haven't cleaned is the springs!  The layout is looking quite good - possibly the best it's been in some time - although the effects of the new roof are being shown in the heat levels found on some areas.  In particular the larger station at Treheligan, which has always had some heat-related issues, has suffered from more platform warping.  I've managed to fix that to some extent and am using sheets of polystyrene packaging as insulated covers when nothing is running.  That helps.  The difference between covered and uncovered platform can be as much as 20C degrees.

Among the little cameos which have been cleaned and slightly altered are the train-spotters on the platform barrow who have gained a third member and a bag:

i-qH7kQt2-M.jpg

The holy well has been relieved of its resident spider and has had a new pour of Magic Water to refresh the dampness being pondered by the same young lady as always:

i-jt2KMNJ-M.jpg

And a new piece on the platform is a barrow laden with rusting milk churns - hopefully empty and not containing rancid and ages-old milk!

i-fGfLnWX-M.jpg

• Like 13

There's nothing wrong with our spiders!  Some are almost big enough to make a decent snack with a serve of (hot) chips.  Except they're mostly a mite toxic and not at all edible ;)

Just keep an eye out for the ones carrying knives and forks!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rick,

Have you thought about hanging up some shade cloth. You might lose some light but it would cut down the heat.

See you Sunday.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter.  It's one of the things I had considered but am just a little wary of for now.  I had to understand first how much more effect the new roof would have in terms of heat and light penetration but am reluctant to fit anything which might alter the colour of the light.  Shade cloth shouldn't do that but as you say it may reduce the heat level.  All options are open at the moment.  As I need to place a decent order at Bunnings for trellis to be delivered I might add shade cloth to that and allot some time in the next few weeks to fixing it up.  

Outside today it was noticeably much warmer in the area not shaded by the tree but that shaded area was much darker.  I'm sure Sunday will bring a few more suggestions.  The joys of the Great Outdoors - every day is a new adventure!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rick - those modern pattern (parallel sided) milk churns were very heavily galvanised and I can't ever remember seeing one in normal everyday use with rust on it. 

Also pointed out on other forum.  Thanks Mike.  However as an example of very easy weathering they look otherwise OK and are likely to stay for a while.  At least they don't look quite like brand-new plastic mouldings!

Also pointed out on other forum.  Thanks Mike.  However as an example of very easy weathering they look otherwise OK and are likely to stay for a while.  At least they don't look quite like brand-new plastic mouldings!

Perhaps they are leftovers from the churn era and just got abandoned out of use where they ended up.

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the running day on sunday. The layout looks as good as ever and was running well too. I was good to catch up and watch some long trains running through your lovely scenery.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you, Peter, and the others who made it.  I had messages from several more later in the day all of them having the current coughing lurgy that's doing the rounds.   Sharon was keeping herself to herself on Sunday having only just got over the worst of it.

There will be some photos ASAP.  The first lot I took weren't much good so I'll try for a better selection in a few days.  The new roof is proving a learning curve in several ways including lighting  good photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those friends who have visited Penhayle Bay over the years have mostly met its resident cat, Gwyn.  He met and greeted humans at his door and had a "thing" for sniffing male socks.  

It is therefore wit great sadness that I have to announce that today Gwyn has fallen asleep after a short illness.  He had suffered from arthritis for some time but in the past three weeks had also suffered multiple organ failures and the end came mercifully quickly.

He was 12½, or about 73 in human terms.  His name, in full Cathgwyn, means simply white cat in Cornish.  

We shall miss his management of and intrusions into our lives very much indeed.  

After a decent interval and probably after Christmas when rescue shelters are stretched to capacity and we can help out we expect a new cat, or cats, to be elected. 

post-3305-0-98767500-1446704364_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that Rick. I only saw the old boy on Sunday.

All the best Peter.

So you did Peter although he was already very sick by then.  He'd barely been able to move himself since Monday and refused all food and water for the past couple of days.  In the end there wasn't really any other option and the vet  confirmed he had major problems from which he wasn't going to recover.

A great set of pics Rick,

I did notice in the last pic of the Hymek the bogie sides look like the bogie step is on the wrong end. Should be a simple case of pull then off and swap then round.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

A great set of pics Rick,

I did notice in the last pic of the Hymek the bogie sides look like the bogie step is on the wrong end. Should be a simple case of pull then off and swap then round.

Cheers Peter.

You're probably right Peter.  Those Heljan bogie frames pop off in the breeze and I've refitted them the wrong way round at some stage.  The weathering can be adjusted when I fix that up.  Thanks mate.