Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Just now and again there is a "moment".  I spot an angle I hadn't seen before for a good shot or perhaps there's some sunlight highlighting something momentarily.

Such a moment occurred this morning.  I popped by head out of the window to see why the chickens were making so much noise (they always object vocally to strong winds which we have again today) and found a shaft of sunlight across the clay dries.

With no time to set up the ideal of a china clay train in the sidings I only had seconds to grab the camera, use what was already outside and hope for the best.

DSCN9681-L.jpg

DSCN9684-L.jpg

DSCN9689-L.jpg

DSCN9692-L.jpg

30 seconds later the sun and the moment were gone.  But not before I had added to the collection ;)

• Like 19

Great pics once again. :sungum: How just a little ray of sunshine can change the appearance of a setting. :imsohappy:

Have to ask about the corrugated iron used on the china clay building. Is it a OO scale product or the Broad Gauge Bodies (HO) corrugated card ?

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Premium

The clay dries buildings are supplied complete by Kernow MRC.  The structure is a resin casting and the roof is corrugated tin so far as I can determine.  It cuts with tin snips ;)  So it is neither a 00 scale product in its own right nor a "Broad Gauge Bodies" one.

All I have done to change those structures from the standard out-of-the-box version is to scatter casting plaster around inside and out to represent china clay, plus fuse two units end to end and blend them into the scene with groundwork and a couple of workers inside.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Waking up somewhere unfamiliar and taking that first look out of the windows after a night in the sleeping car can sometimes be a moment of delight.

DSCN9909-L.jpg

Weathered Bachmann sleepers with some of the compartment blinds half-open and passengers at some of the windows taking in the view.

DSCN9906-L.jpg

EDIT to correct the "auto-correct" which changed "first" to "fort".  GRRRR

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 13

Waking up somewhere unfamiliar and taking that first look out of the windows after a night in the sleeping car can sometimes be a moment of delight.

DSCN9909-L.jpg

Weathered Bachmann sleepers with some of the compartment blinds half-open and passengers at some of the windows taking in the view.

DSCN9906-L.jpg

EDIT to correct the "auto-correct" which changed "first" to "fort".  GR

Aye Rick

The sleepers still have blearly figures peering from their double windows, and have produced some "interesting" glimpses from the boxes as it passes by! Mostly old boys in vests or old woman slurping their morning tea - but sometimes more pleasing on the eye!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not from us though Craig - we're careful to keep the blinds down until we're dressed!   Returning home we usually ask for an earlier call - at Snozzle -  than they often give PZ passengers which is around Truro so we can see the best bits with the blinds up or from the lounge car.

Having spent many nights on the "beds" your comment about the occasional glimpse of eye-candy rings true.  ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One piece of the Cornish landscape has been conspicuously absent from this layout other than in vague painted form.  Until today.  Despite several attempts at scratchbuilding I haven't managed to produce a credible mine engine house.  But the Kernow MRC team has and the two I had on order were waiting on the doorstep tonight.

It could almost have been there from the beginning but I promise you it's only been taken out of the box and placed there for the few moments it took in poor and fading light to grab some first images.

DSCN9963-L.jpg

This is the small area of land I had always intended would have such a building placed on it.  The interior is shown here as a green Warship class runs past.

DSCN9964-L.jpg

I'm very impressed by the representation of brick and stone on these buildings which will in my case only require a small amount of weathering and a little landscaping to become fully blended in.

Here another Kernow commission, a Dapol factory weathered Western also just arrived, heads an up train past Wheal Garden.  The Western has had a brush of "rust" added to its already excellent weathering.

DSCN9960-L.jpg

Sharon has named the mine.  Mines often carried the name of the owner's wife such as Wheal Jane or a description of the hoped-for success such as Wheal Plenty.  "Wheal Sharon" was rejected and Wheal Garden has been chosen for a model which is almost in the garden and as pun on our own intent - "we'll garden"!  The second of these has always been destined for use as an ornament in the lounge room where it sits perfectly and looks very much the part on a shelf with the full series of "Poldark" novels.

DSCN9959-L.jpg

• Like 15

A little while since I looked at you work, Rick.  I know it's daft but in the photos posted 16th August Western Talisman seems to actually be smiling with her / his cab bathed in sunlight (or does she / he enjoy posing for your camera?!).

Wow! This is a really good layout, the scenery is nothing short of spectacular! Especially those rock faces and beaches. Really very good and to me im not really interested in westerns but this does look brilliant!

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

That engine house looks superb for something straight out of the box. Nice looking Western too I know you had been waiting for it to arrive, I am sure its getting plenty of use.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The engine house has now been fully fitted to the layout as described in more detail here :  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76200-cornish-engine-house/

With the building firmly planted and a little scenic work done it now looks as though it might have been there for many years not a few days!

i-3HkPLGJ-L.jpg

i-RRMggJM-L.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Great piece of modelling. Nice to see the lammy rider picked himself up and got straight back on too :mosking:

Cheers!

The local yoof on his Lambretta can't afford petrol and only coasts downhill ;)  When he falls over it's at very low speed so he just gets up and carries on :P

OK - I hadn't spotted he'd fallen over when I took the shot and it was dark by the time I posted it .....

• RMweb Premium

Having spent the evening entranced by your Penhayle Bay layout I have taken the liberty of reposting some of your excellent photography rather than waffle on endlessly Rick.

Cornwall is the only county in England which I haven't been fortunate to visit (top of the list next time we go back) but I can see that you have captured the atmosphere so well. Only a true artist could manage that on such narrow baseboards. 

post-8964-0-32834200-1379307959.jpg

Some of your scene setting is spot on..........................

post-8964-0-53733800-1379308060.jpg

Breath taking scenery........

post-8964-0-95342500-1379308158.jpg

This pub scene brings back memories of weekends away in south Devon and on the IOW.

post-8964-0-66540600-1379308336.jpg

All this and then there are the superbly weathered trains............

post-8964-0-81570400-1379308451.jpg

You can almost hear the twin maybach engines rumbling in this shot

post-8964-0-08767300-1379308558_thumb.jpg

One can only imagine the fun you have watching double headed 22s on railfreight van duty, snaking thier way along through such fantastic model scenery. 

I take my hat off to you sir.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks you, too, Sir for your very generous comments.  And to all those others offering similar thoughts above.  Your feedback is very much appreciated.  And yes I can thoroughly revel in the prospect of double-headed 22s or at times a brace of 42s working hard over the gradients as they run through all those scenes at my command :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hydraulic Heaven at Ponsangwyn!

A selection of Dapol Westerns and Bachmann Warships await their next duty with a couple of Dapol class 22 "Baby Warships" tucked in there as well. 

i-Fh9W7VC-L.jpg

How varied can a single class be?  Three different liveries on the four leading locos; three are weathered and the fourth supplied pristine though with a light touch of my own weathering.  That on the right also has its 4-character headcodes attached as Dapol intend using stick-on vinyls outside the glazing.  The weathered ones have had their placed inside behind the glazing and the other will be modified in due course.

i-bznBMk7-L.jpg

The quartet of Westerns commissioned by Kernow MRC has now arrived.  All four line up displaying four different livery variations.  All have had crews (not supplied), headcodes and brake rods (all supplied) added but are otherwise in out-of-the-box condition with the exception of my added rust below the grilles on Western Princess, the maroon SYP one.

i-FbdKWTv-L.jpg

Western Viscount comes off shed 

i-MWLtd7n-L.jpg
Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 12