Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

The coachnumber of the restaurant first is wrong 7869, belongs to a dining saloon third from the batch of six 7864-69  to diagram 2652 built in Eastleigh in 1927

together build with the restaurant first (Hornby] ,six of them build, number 7858-63 to diagram 2651.

Both build in Eastleigh 5/1927- 7/1927 

This all according Mike King and David Gould books

Update

Just found, Hornby speaks in the description  about diagram 2651, but they actually make diagram 2656 built 1932 for then the runningnumber 7869 is right, because the third dining saloons

7864-69 became open thirds with  running numbers 1363-68 when those restaurant cars appeared.

The picture on Hornby's site is from Mike King's book plate100, unlined green, but were they unlined green when build in '32?

Yes, they'd have carried full lining when built ............ the rot set in with slight simplification for the '35 & '36 gangwayed stock  -  though Maunsell's LSWR rebuilds didn't carry ANY lining of course

SR Maunsell Kitchen/Dining First 7869

Would it have been  used on a Summer 1947 ACE beyond Exeter?   Was there a Kitchen Dining Third?

Probably is the short answer, on summer Saturdays there were through dining cars to Padstow and Ilfracombe. As for your second question they tended to run as Kitchen/ding firsts with associated open thirds (which Hornsby is also producing).

I have mentioned the need for a Maunsell restaurant car to various Hornby reps,

at shows they have attended, for some years.

But at Warley last year, when I tried to make a strong case for one, I got a wry 

smile which I took as confirmation that one was in the pipeline.

Ordered one from Derails this afternoon.

Thank-you Hornby, been waiting quite a few years for this - duly ordered. Now if only someone could persuade Bachmann for one of the Bulleid catering vehicles to go with their new toolings (and hopefully the open 3rd/2nds).... one can always hope!!

Chris.

• Like 1

A question or two for the Knowledgeable with regard to the new Maunsell Dinning Cars. Did any of these actually receive malachite green? Am I right in thinking that Hornby have announced one of the models in SR olive green, unlined but with the Sunshine lettering? A variant very suited to the post War period?

A question or two for the Knowledgeable with regard to the new Maunsell Dinning Cars. Did any of these actually receive malachite green? Am I right in thinking that Hornby have announced one of the models in SR olive green, unlined but with the Sunshine lettering? A variant very suited to the post War period?

Mike King's book contains a photo by F.Foote of 7869 in March 1940 in unlined olive green and lettered Restaurant Car. It is en route from Eastleigh post-overhaul to Clapham Yard. 

The book also contains a photo of 7866 in malachite livery with Bulleid-style lettering (which seems similar to that on the vehicle above) in June 1951 at Stewarts Lane. This car is still a RFK with apparently original configuration. Some cars were converted with buffet counters to various diagrams circa 1947 and would have appeared in malachite.

They probably all received malachite green - some pre-war and some after ...... BUT many were heavily rebuilt in the early post-war period so some may not have carried malachite in original form.

Hornby's Maunsell green car seems to be lined ( https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/wagons-coaches/passenger-coaches/sr-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-7869-era-3.html ) ...... though they've used a wartime photograph for illustrative purposes - and that DOES show an unlined example ........ maybe they'll do that one day !!?!

They probably all received malachite green - some pre-war and some after ...... BUT many were heavily rebuilt in the early post-war period so some may not have carried malachite in original form.

Hornby's Maunsell green car seems to be lined ( https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/wagons-coaches/passenger-coaches/sr-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-7869-era-3.html ) ...... though they've used a wartime photograph for illustrative purposes - and that DOES show an unlined example ........ maybe they'll do that one day !!?!

Is that showing it lined? I think it's just showing where the panels are.

Jason

Hatton's have on their site a colour illustration in olive green, and as far i can see and compare with a photo in David Gould's book from a restaurant car from 1934, it looks like Maunsell lettering.

It is as far not clear if Hornby produce the lined SR version, but when Hornby announced the open third begin 2012 there was only an ilustration without lining{ the same they use now in the new announcements on pasge one, no lining]but when it actually came it was all lined.

So this we can only see when the first livery samples are there. 

Thank you very much for the replies chaps,

The lack of lining threw me out on that one, a shame as a post war mixed livery would have suited me down to a T'. I've already done the 1947 Buffet Car conversion of 7864 (the preserved example) and its composite dinner as they where running in the Bournemouth Newcastle service circa 1951. Both retained their malachite green livery but with BR branding, they displaced a Maunsell first class Dinning Car and open third. From a photograph that I have somewhere the Dinning Car would seem to be olive green with Sunshine lettering so I was thinking it might be worth placing an order. However, given that it is likely to be the earlier livery, and if I wished to order, it would be probably be better to go with the BR version and give it a full repaint.

Again many thanks.

Oh, here is a picture of the Buffet car conversion. Please forgive the slight camera distortion.

post-26757-0-48876800-1515519150_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

People need to remember that:-

(1) It took quite some time for Bulleid to actually finalise his new Malachite Green livery (lots of experimenting went on before he settled on what he called 'Malachite') and as such you got some odd things happening to locos and rolling stock painted during this time - witness the 2HALs coming out with Bulleid style lettering but in Maunsell colours on a plain Olive background.

(2) World War 2 was massively disruptive - non essential repaints simply didn't happen and there was pressure to use existing stocks rather than let them go to waste.

As such its quite possible that a Maunsell restaurant car repainted after 1938 could well have been turned out in plain Olive - but this was not a 'strategic decision' as it were, rather the result of the prevailing circumstances at the time the re-paint happened.

Edited by phil-b259

Presumably it won't be too difficult for Hornby to model the buffet conversion later on.

Externally just three windows in the former dining area were blanked off. Internally

the rebuilding was extensive, only the kitchen area remained unchanged.

The rebuilt buffet area resembled the 4 BUF cars, but was a little make-shift.

The interior colour scheme was largely cream.

The above applies to the Bluebell's example, No 7864.

Some of the conversions involved a total rebuild, well beyond the scope of the Hornby model

as it stands.

• Like 1

To be really authentic they would also have to model the composite Dinning Car that ran alongside them. These were converted from a completely different diagram of open third from the one currently in the Hornby range. I think that one Buffet did run with an open third late in its career, I forget the reason why, possibly because of damage to the CO. I would have thought that even something as simple as blocking up the windows would require a retool of the body. With that in mind, it wouldn't be to difficult for Hornby to model anything on the basic Maunsell Underframe.

Is that showing it lined? I think it's just showing where the panels are.

Jason

Looking at https://www.Hornby.c...7869-era-3.html ) again, I'm not too sure what they're trying to show .......... what I'd thought was lining seems to go straight through the RESTAURANT CAR lettering ..................................... but it it's all panelling they were certainly using up the offcuts that Friday !